HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Runner77

vCash: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I still think Therrien is going sofff with DD. When talking about PK or Eller or any other young players, he's much more virulent (...).
Therrien is harder on PK and Eller for the same reason sled dog racers prod their best animal.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
a diminutive undrafted anglo with 1 decent NHL season under his belt would never get that deal and you know it.
Is it fun to argue completely unproveable, speculative based things like that, or what?

Old
11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Gomez also made over twice as much money.
They traded McDonagh for Gomez they sure as hell wouldnt throw Gomez out after a bad season
You are comparing apples to oranges

Old
11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Gomez was never this non-productive gillyguzzler. DD is on pace for 5 points in an 82 game season. Even at his worst Gomez was four or five times as productive.
Agreed but Gomez made almost double the money on a lengthier contract and also cost Ryan McDonough and Chris Higgins. You're missing the point. Bad contracts happen, DD is beyond terrible right now, and it's not because of he's a french Quebecer. Leblanc is a first round Quebecer mired in the minors... is he being discriminated against?

Last edited by gillyguzzler: 11-11-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Gomez also made over twice as much money.
Gomez also has a stanley cup ring and 8-900 games under his belt, 6 seasons of 60pts+.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
They traded McDonagh for Gomez they sure as hell wouldnt throw Gomez out after a bad season
You are comparing apples to oranges
It wasn't my comparison, I'm just saying it's not fair to say "Gomez was never this unproductive" when he was sucking up way more cap space than Desharnais is. Compare their point production per dollar, or something, for a more accurate portrayal on how much of a drag each has been to the team financially.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:48 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Gomez also has a stanley cup ring and 8-900 games under his belt, 6 seasons of 60pts+.
.... and that made him worth his contract plus McDonaugh and Higgins?

Old
11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Is it fun to argue completely unproveable, speculative based things like that, or what?
I'll try and contact the Habs PR team and request a written statement on the part of MB stating is his bias on the DD signing.

In fact we should not post anything on HF boards without the written approval or confirmation by the organization.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
So much favorism he was the 13th player at practice this morning.

That post was bad, even for you.
I am not talking about his roster spots. It was laughable he got a pat on the back on the bench, instead of a slap in the back of the helmet, for his on-ice blunder. P.K and the boys get lambasted , benched, humiliated on 24CH... DD gets a pat on the back.

If I'm a player on this team I recognize it, and it disgusts me. I think Therrien has a soft spot for french canadians, and I haven't been proven wrong. It's obvious MT does with his hideous contracts to Briere and DD.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Andy

LMFAO

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-...AdIdZ539903026

Quote:
Date ListedL 04-Nov-13
Price:$3,500,000.00
Address:1909 Avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal, Montréal, QC H4B 5G0, Canada

À vendre : Joueur de hockey professionnel, de fabrication Québécoise, modèle 1986 (27 ans), 5'7'' 170 lbs. Encore en bonne condition, 193 PJ 34-78-112. Gaucher jouant au centre, viens avec tout son équipement, bonne accélération, excellent freinage, tourne aussi bien à gauche qu'à droite, patine aussi de reculons. Jamais sorti l'été, idéal pour un troisième trio, peut également dépanner sur un deuxième et même premier trio, en cas d'urgence.
Raison de la vente : Maintenant que nous avons fait l'expérience des petits joueurs de centre, nous en voulons des plus gros.
Accepte aussi les échanges et si vous désirez en faire l’acquisition avant le 30 Novembre 2013, vous recevez en bonus Daniel Brière.

Demandez Marc Bergevin
Desharnais is on the market officially. ROTFL

Old
11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I think he's trying to say that Gomez was more of a "safe bet" than Desharnais based on actual historical facts

everyone knew that trade was **** and it still is, but on paper it's way more debatable than the DD contract

Old
11-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Ehhh what? I never implied that.

I'm just saying Gomez and DD have different accomplishments so their situations are much more different.

a 900 nhl games, cup winner veteran will/should get much longer leash than a player with under 200 games that stops playing after signing his big fat contract.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:01 PM
gillyguzzler

Fans had a right to complain about Gomez, the contract, the loss of McDonaugh and Higgins and the fact that he was given way too much leeway when he wasn't producing. However, I don't remember one post that linked this leeway to the fact the he was a Mexican from Alaska. DD sucks... no doubt about it. But post after post after bigoted post equating this leeway solely to him being a Quebecer is sickening. And I'm not a Quebecer.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'll try and contact the Habs PR team and request a written statement on the part of MB stating is his bias on the DD signing.

In fact we should not post anything on HF boards without the written approval or confirmation by the organization.
I was just wondering about the logic of it from a personal point of view. It seems like such a waste of time to invest a belief in something supported by no facts or even circumstantial evidence. By all means, I won't stop you from posting about it though.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:05 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
I was just wondering about the logic of it from a personal point of view. It seems like such a waste of time to invest a belief in something supported by no facts or even circumstantial evidence. By all means, I won't stop you from posting about it though.
At this point, I'm not quite sure which is easier to swallow. That the team's direction cares more about the language a player speaks than his skills, or that they've pretty much failed to properly evaluate any of their recent acquisitions/re-signings: DD, Briere, Murray, Parros, Bouillon.

Neither one is a particularly flattering reality, but Occam's would suggest the latter to be closer to the truth.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:05 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I am not talking about his roster spots. It was laughable he got a pat on the back on the bench, instead of a slap in the back of the helmet, for his on-ice blunder. P.K and the boys get lambasted , benched, humiliated on 24CH... DD gets a pat on the back.

If I'm a player on this team I recognize it, and it disgusts me. I think Therrien has a soft spot for french canadians, and I haven't been proven wrong. It's obvious MT does with his hideous contracts to Briere and DD.
Louis Leblanc and Matthieu Darche would beg to differ. I sort of remember Colby Armstrong being a Therrien favourite even though he was also Terrible.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:08 PM
FinnHab

DD`s next bus stop is Hamilton?

Old
11-11-2013, 01:10 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

I wonder if we could trade him and retain 1 million for a 7th

Old
11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
At this point, I'm not quite sure which is easier to swallow. That the team's direction cares more about the language a player speaks than his skills, or that they've pretty much failed to properly evaluate any of their recent acquisitions/re-signings: DD, Briere, Murray, Parros, Bouillon.

Neither one is a particularly flattering reality, but Occam's would suggest the latter to be closer to the truth.
I think the razor actually suggests a bit of both.

Arguably the three worst players on our roster are Briere, DD and Bouillion (forget about Parros he doesn't count as a player ) and yet they get huge ice relative to performance.

How can we explain this? I can't.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:22 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Arguably the three worst players on our roster are Briere, DD and Bouillion (forget about Parros he doesn't count as a player ) and yet they get huge ice relative to performance.

Bouilllon > Murray, so knock that one off your list too. And excluding parros is disingenuous. He's clearly awful and clearly a player on the habs.

It's pretty bad luck. We can re-evaluate how much ice time DD gets once we're healthy. NHL teams will rarely punish 'vets' harshly for fear of losing the room. Probably why he wasn't benched/scratched more up until this point. Once we're a bit more healthy, they'll be able to scratch him for another vet. Not saying I agree with it, but that's how it's done.

As for Briere, I think this is just some really, really bad pro scouting. Did being a hometown player give him an extra nudge in the right direction? Possibly, but I don't think for one second that Briere gets even close to signing a contract worth 4 million/year without some incompetence at the hockey operations side of things. Bergevin likely had a list of guys his pro-scouts all had ranked roughly at the same level, and he chose the one with more local flavor.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Really? It's pretty easy to explain, honestly. Between Briere and Desharnais, you have an investment of, what, $7.5 million on your cap? Obviously you're going to give them every opportunity to shake their slumps and become productive players, especially as both are pure offensive players. Even if you don't want to, you can sure as hell bet the guy paying their salaries is going to want you to. We're only, what, 16 games into the season? And 8 games in the case of Briere? These are still ridiculously small sample sizes.

And despite people's complaints about Bouillon, it might alarm some to learn that he's only the 5th most used defenseman on the Habs, playing an average of 17:24/game. Which is right in line with his age, the money he's making, and his career averages (he played roughly the same TOI/game in his tenure with Nashville)...you know, those other factors in play besides the language he speaks.

Last year around this time our worst/slumping players were probably Pacioretty and Cole, who still got tons of ice time, were never scratched, and who still took up a lot of cap space between them. Was it some kind of "pro-American conspiracy"? Of course not. So this year it's Desharnais and Briere, both of whom happen to be Quebecois, and now it's a nationality thing? I don't think so. It's only a nationality thing because it's convenient to some people's agendas.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:33 PM
WakeUpNHL

#BlameBergevin

There are no two ways about this...

Either Dersharnais was over evaluated by Bergevin or Desharnais was signed for considerations other than his hockey skills.

Either way it is a Bergevin blunder, one that will cost the habs real dollars, cap dollars and much #habsdrama.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:33 PM
HometownHockey
HFB Partner

Bienvenue au centre, Daniel Briere

http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/HH0334.php

Old
11-11-2013, 01:40 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

Briere? Huge ice? Wasn't he relegated to the 4th line after a few games? Some favouritism there! Call the RCMP!

Old
11-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I thought it was curious.. wait enraging .. when DD goofed up on his coverage in the defensive zone and we were scored upon...DD is sitting on the bench and gets a pat on the back, encouragement etc from the coaching staff.

P.K or Gally make the same mistake.. they have a strip tore off of them.

I'm starting to see the favouritism to a certain breed of hockey player I chose to ignore wasn't there. I believe it is now.

Note - I am french canadian before anyone calls me out on a conspiracy theory or anything else.
Because chewing him out on the bench at this point would have done... what ?

It was goddamned Gallant who patted him on the back, well-known amongst fans and experts as a french-loving chap.

This is ridiculous.

Desharnais has been absolutely horrible, but he is at a point where Pierre Pagé-on-Mats Sundin-ing him right there would do absolutely nothing. He's shattered, demolished; can't do anything right anymore.

Pressbox is the way to go. Move on. Hope for Brière to prove somewhat reliable in that spot along with Bournival and Bourque.

Closed Thread