HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings to have a press conference on monday.

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

vCash: 500
Thats 12,000 Robitaille Jerseys. Thats a lot of fricken Jerseys.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:09 PM
dafranchz

I thing though...I believe about a week or two before the CBA was ratified, TL stated that he didn't want to reveal the Kings ticket plans because they were going to be out of sight. More or less I thought he said he didn't want to tip his hand because he felt what they anticipated on doing was going to be unheard and really set them a cut above.

So I ask now, did anyone feel that they went above and beyond the norm? I think they're pretty much stayed in line with the rest of the league as far as tickets go, or did I miss something?

Old
07-25-2005, 10:19 PM
jfont

Awards:
5% rollback is crap!!!

the players took a 24% paycut...why can't they pass alot of that along to us!?!

07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia
So I ask now, did anyone feel that they went above and beyond the norm? I think they're pretty much stayed in line with the rest of the league as far as tickets go, or did I miss something?
I don't think you missed anything, the typical arrogance that is the Kings is what I'm seeing here.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:56 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
Thats 12,000 Robitaille Jerseys. Thats a lot of fricken Jerseys.
It's per season ticket ACCOUNT, not per person. Still, a lot - but the # is closer to 2-4k, not 12k.

Luc's hand is going to be sore after signing all those jerseys.

- T

Old
07-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
It's per season ticket ACCOUNT, not per person. Still, a lot - but the # is closer to 2-4k, not 12k.

Luc's hand is going to be sore after signing all those jerseys.

- T
On a related note....Kings LW Luc Robitaille will be on the DL and miss the first 2 weeks of the season due to "writers cramp".

Old
07-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
I don't think you missed anything, the typical arrogance that is the Kings is what I'm seeing here.
All I'm saying is that they better come through with their promises of getting some "key free agents" or else they're going to face a lot of angry people.

I feel they owe us. Yeah, owe us. Owe us for not replacing Allison and Deadmarsh when they had the insurance money and for not being able to convince Palffy to stay. And now that they have their precious economic system in place, I friggin' demand the Kings to be near the top of the league every year, no excuses.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!

Old
07-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Captain Ron

Hey according to The Fourth Period the Kings "Will Be Buyers".

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak050725.html

So I have a feeling they "Will Be Buyers".

Old
07-25-2005, 11:36 PM
rwilson99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
the kings are introducing wayne gretzky who they obtained in a trade with the oilers...
Makes me wonder... whatever happened to Jimmy Carson?

Old
07-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99
Makes me wonder... whatever happened to Jimmy Carson?
Finished out his career in the I.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php3?pid=845

Old
07-26-2005, 12:19 AM
jt

Quote:
5% rollback is crap!!!

the players took a 24% paycut...why can't they pass alot of that along to us!?!
I'm confused. The 24% rollback was to bring the NHL back from the dead so the owners wouldn't keep losing $200 mil+ per year. The Kings lost about $12 mil on a payroll of about $44 mil. So with REVENUES down, you're thinking that they should FURTHER decrease revenue? What was the point of the lockout if they're just going to lose another $12 mil?

Quote:
You lost me. What's the arrogance? They still have to pay the players...where does that revenue come from? If they cut ticket prices alot, they'll just have less to spend on player salaries....would you rather pay 20% less in ticket prices only to have them cut payroll from, say, $33 mil to $28 mil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
All I'm saying is that they better come through with their promises of getting some "key free agents" or else they're going to face a lot of angry people.

I feel they owe us. Yeah, owe us. Owe us for not replacing Allison and Deadmarsh when they had the insurance money and for not being able to convince Palffy to stay. And now that they have their precious economic system in place, I friggin' demand the Kings to be near the top of the league every year, no excuses.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!
Look at the guys who will be UFA's next summer. Would you really rather have them blow everything THIS summer on guys like Demitra, Kariya and Aucoin instead of leaving some cap room for NEXT summer so they can spend it on guys like Hossa, Lecavalier or Redden?

Old
07-26-2005, 12:22 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
I'm confused. The 24% rollback was to bring the NHL back from the dead so the owners wouldn't keep losing $200 mil+ per year. The Kings lost about $12 mil on a payroll of about $44 mil. So with REVENUES down, you're thinking that they should FURTHER decrease revenue? What was the point of the lockout if they're just going to lose another $12 mil?
that loss is from the year before...so lets close the books on that (recoup some from taxes) era and start a new one...and what better way to start a new one than giving us more of a savings than just 5%...

Last edited by jfont: 07-26-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old
07-26-2005, 12:50 AM
jt

That's fine...the loss is from the year before. But the loss will be the same unless revenues increase or expenses decrease. The 24% payroll reduction (assuming a payroll of $44 mil) is only $10.56 mil so that doesn't even get them back to even (and that's if they have a payroll of $33.44 mil)!! With a 5% rollback, that cuts into it even more. If they cut tickets 20% or whatever you want them to, they'd end up back where they were losing a ton of money...or having to cut payroll lower than $33.44 mil. I just don't understand why fans think owners should operate their teams as money pits.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:27 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
That's fine...the loss is from the year before. But the loss will be the same unless revenues increase or expenses decrease. The 24% payroll reduction (assuming a payroll of $44 mil) is only $10.56 mil so that doesn't even get them back to even (and that's if they have a payroll of $33.44 mil)!! With a 5% rollback, that cuts into it even more. If they cut tickets 20% or whatever you want them to, they'd end up back where they were losing a ton of money...or having to cut payroll lower than $33.44 mil. I just don't understand why fans think owners should operate their teams as money pits.
well then...knock yourself out paying whatever they ask...

Old
07-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Look at the guys who will be UFA's next summer. Would you really rather have them blow everything THIS summer on guys like Demitra, Kariya and Aucoin instead of leaving some cap room for NEXT summer so they can spend it on guys like Hossa, Lecavalier or Redden?
Believe me, I agree 100%. I didn't say the Kings need to blow their wad this instant. I think it would be a smart move to save a little bit for next year. Because any one of Iginla, Lecavlier, Thornton, Hossa or St.Louis in a Kings sweater would be a huge day for the franchise.

As for this offseason, I think we can expect to see at least 2 name players signed. But not to the point that we will be at the cap limit (as TL indicated in today's press conference).

Old
07-26-2005, 08:11 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
You lost me. What's the arrogance? They still have to pay the players...where does that revenue come from? If they cut ticket prices alot, they'll just have less to spend on player salaries....would you rather pay 20% less in ticket prices only to have them cut payroll from, say, $33 mil to $28 mil?
I was more responding to this:

I believe about a week or two before the CBA was ratified, TL stated that he didn't want to reveal the Kings ticket plans because they were going to be out of sight. More or less I thought he said he didn't want to tip his hand because he felt what they anticipated on doing was going to be unheard and really set them a cut above

My "arrogance" statement comes from a Monarchs Season Ticket holder perspective. It seems that when the Kings do about what everyone else does it's supposed to be so much better because they're the L.A. KINGS...My perspecitve likely has a lot to do with regional biases associated with being from the east and growing up in a era that most Stanley Cup champions came from the east.

1982-83 - New York Islanders

1981-82 - New York Islanders

1980-81 - New York Islanders

1979-80 - New York Islanders

1978-79 - Montreal Canadiens

1977-78 - Montreal Canadiens

1976-77 - Montreal Canadiens

1975-76 - Montreal Canadiens

1974-75 - Philadelphia Flyers

1973-74 - Philadelphia Flyers

1972-73 - Montreal Canadiens

1971-72 - Boston Bruins

1970-71 - Montreal Canadiens

1969-70 - Boston Bruins

1968-69 - Montreal Canadiens

1967-68 - Montreal Canadiens

1966-67 - Toronto Maple Leafs (had to spread it around a bit)

1965-66 - Montreal Canadiens

1964-65 - Montreal Canadiens

Honestly, I don't care what they set their ticket prices at in L.A. Ticket pricing is a "science" all in it's own. Basically it's a balance of what the market will bear and maximizing revenue streams. Players salaries are loosely tied to ticket pricing at best in the NHL. Yes, they still have to pay the players BUT if by cutting ticket prices they sell more seats to every game they MIGHT actually increase revenues through gate receipts, concession sales (food, drink and foam fingers), parking fees, etc...So I don't think that by cutting ticket prices they will necessarily have less money to spend in player salaries...My guess is that gate receipts will not be the only revenues used to determine CAP limits...

Back to the Monarchs Season Ticket Holder perspective. In today's Union Leader, Kevin Provencher gave a review of yesterday's press conf. and a bit on the status of the new coach for the Monarchs:

NEW MONARCHS COACH: Monarchs general manager Kevin Gilmore said the club is focusing on Saturday’s draft and the new coach would most likely be named in early August. The interviews of the four candidates are complete.

So, because they are the KINGS, prospective candidates can wait a couple of weeks for them to make a decision?

link to UL story: http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=58263

Last edited by King Blazer: 07-26-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old
07-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Mindcircus

Did the numbers on Luc's sweater look different or is it just me?

Old
07-26-2005, 09:42 AM
jt

Quote:
well then...knock yourself out paying whatever they ask...
Hmph. I expected more from a global moderator.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
The Press Conference is now up on lakings.com up by latest news click on video gallery, then "Press Conference"

Old
07-26-2005, 10:01 AM
jt

Quote:
I was more responding to this:

I believe about a week or two before the CBA was ratified, TL stated that he didn't want to reveal the Kings ticket plans because they were going to be out of sight. More or less I thought he said he didn't want to tip his hand because he felt what they anticipated on doing was going to be unheard and really set them a cut above
Got it. I don't remember TL's comments being that glowing about what they were going to be doing. But if he said something tantamount to "they're going to be out of sight" then I can see why people are disappointed. I'm going in on season tix this year so I'm actually paying a little attention to that for the first time ever. My impression was that they didn't want to release bits and pieces of info here and there and wanted to do it all at once. Not because it would be so amazingly impressive, but because it's cleaner and putting it all together is "big news" whereas little hockey snippets here and there aren't even news in LA.

Quote:
My "arrogance" statement comes from a Monarchs Season Ticket holder perspective. It seems that when the Kings do about what everyone else does it's supposed to be so much better because they're the L.A. KINGS...My perspecitve likely has a lot to do with regional biases associated with being from the east and growing up in a era that most Stanley Cup champions came from the east.
I've never sensed that there's any arrogance in that. Marketing bluster maybe. But IMO it's more like a company touting it's own wares. Of course they say they're the best...of course they sound like they think they're better than everyone else...they have to...that's part of being a business person in the sports industry.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't care what they set their ticket prices at in L.A. Ticket pricing is a "science" all in it's own. Basically it's a balance of what the market will bear and maximizing revenue streams. Players salaries are loosely tied to ticket pricing at best in the NHL. Yes, they still have to pay the players BUT if by cutting ticket prices they sell more seats to every game they MIGHT actually increase revenues through gate receipts, concession sales (food, drink and foam fingers), parking fees, etc...So I don't think that by cutting ticket prices they will necessarily have less money to spend in player salaries...My guess is that gate receipts will not be the only revenues used to determine CAP limits...
I wouldn't have thought you'd care...

Player salaries will be DIRECTLY tied to ticket prices (and they always have bee) since upwards of 60% (I think it's closer to 80%) of all revenues come from tickets. Every now and then a team hits the merchandising bonanza but until the TV landscape changes, tickets will be BY FAR the single biggest factor.

I do agree that if they cut prices they can get more people in the gate. You may already know this but in business it's called a "point of diminishing returns". Combine that with the need to create a non-monetary commodity called "goodwill" and I have very little doubt that the Kings are right at the apex of where ticket prices should be. I would bet that if they lower them much more they will lose revenue overall...and if they raise them much more they will lose revenue overall. Of all the things people can argue that the Kings do right and wrong, I honestly believe that pricing tickets and stuff is firmly in the "right" column (a least in a business sense...both long- and short-term).

Quote:
Back to the Monarchs Season Ticket Holder perspective. In today's Union Leader, Kevin Provencher gave a review of yesterday's press conf. and a bit on the status of the new coach for the Monarchs:

NEW MONARCHS COACH: Monarchs general manager Kevin Gilmore said the club is focusing on Saturday’s draft and the new coach would most likely be named in early August. The interviews of the four candidates are complete.

So, because they are the KINGS, prospective candidates can wait a couple of weeks for them to make a decision?

link to UL story: http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=58263
Yikes! I didn't get that at all from the article. What I got was that they've completed the interview process but won't name the coach for another couple weeks. I didn't see anything in there about it being "because we're the Kings" (even by inference).

Ya gotta understand that being the minor league affiliate means taking the back seat alot of the time. Besides, I'm willing to bet you almost anything that the coaching decision has been made and the guy already knows he's got the job...they're just waiting for NHL/Kings news to die down a little to make the announcement. Living in the area, you may already know what I'm talking about but PM me if you want to talk.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:07 AM
guzmania

Let's hope the owners were only overspending 24% by offering contracts 24% above what their budgets should have allowed. They were all hoping against hope for some extra money to come in as the game grew. Sadly, it wasn't happening. They needed the cap to level the playing field of what Toronto's owner could spend vs. what say Edmonton's owner could spend. I am suprised they cut any money from the ticket price and to be honest I think that the money cut will surely be added back in the near future (ie next year). They understand how important it is to get us back in the buildings. More importantly they gotta get a national TV contract that suppliments the basically steady and essentially maxed out "live" cash revenue. Otherwise, they have to cut more expenses and raise prices.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus
Did the numbers on Luc's sweater look different or is it just me?
I think it's just you....

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2005-07/18647884.jpg

Old
07-26-2005, 10:55 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Ya gotta understand that being the minor league affiliate means taking the back seat alot of the time. Besides, I'm willing to bet you almost anything that the coaching decision has been made and the guy already knows he's got the job...they're just waiting for NHL/Kings news to die down a little to make the announcement. Living in the area, you may already know what I'm talking about but PM me if you want to talk.
I fully understand what being a Season Ticket holder to a minor league affiliate means and where we fit in on the "food chain"...

There is little doubt in my mind that the coaching decision for Manchester has been made. What better time to announce it than when you have TL, DT, AM and KG at the podium touting the importance of building from within and player development??? This was the PERFECT opportunity for them to demonstrate HOW committed they are to developing and winning up and down the organization unless of course they're going with a twice fired assistant that's really never been a head coach in professional hockey????

As far as L.A. ticket prices goes I probably should have said that because I consider many of the people I converse here with to be my friends then YES, from that perspective, I care about the ticket pricing in L.A. BUT, because ticket pricing in L.A. has little to no effect on me, the discounts are relatively meaningless to me personally...

I agree that in some sense a company needs to market itself using "bluster". I may be the only person in the east that perceives the Kings organization as coming across as arrogant for all I know...

Old
07-26-2005, 11:25 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
I fully understand what being a Season Ticket holder to a minor league affiliate means and where we fit in on the "food chain"...

There is little doubt in my mind that the coaching decision for Manchester has been made. What better time to announce it than when you have TL, DT, AM and KG at the podium touting the importance of building from within and player development??? This was the PERFECT opportunity for them to demonstrate HOW committed they are to developing and winning up and down the organization unless of course they're going with a twice fired assistant that's really never been a head coach in professional hockey????

As far as L.A. ticket prices goes I probably should have said that because I consider many of the people I converse here with to be my friends then YES, from that perspective, I care about the ticket pricing in L.A. BUT, because ticket pricing in L.A. has little to no effect on me, the discounts are relatively meaningless to me personally...

I agree that in some sense a company needs to market itself using "bluster". I may be the only person in the east that perceives the Kings organization as coming across as arrogant for all I know...

I see your points, but out in the West Coast we think clubs back east are even more arrogant. NYR are a perfect example. Most of the clubs back east try to flex their muscle by spending ridiculous amounts of money.
As for our ticket prices, i'm a bit peeved that they didn't lower individual ticket prices, but i'm assuming that they have a lot to make up for. I'm not saying I back their stance, i'm just excited that we get to see some NHL again. TL also stated that we rank 23rd in the league as far as ticket prices go which isn't that bad since we're a major market club. Chicago is also major market, and they rank as one of the lowest in ticket prices. Wirtz is a whole other disaster, but my point is that for being a major market team, i'm not that upset about our ticket prices.
As for the announcing of Manchester's new coach, I agree completely! It was a perfect time for it. You can thank some of the nobs (Gilmore) for that. That's who I would classify under arrogance, and a couple others on the Kings brass.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:01 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
I see your points, but out in the West Coast we think clubs back east are even more arrogant. NYR are a perfect example. Most of the clubs back east try to flex their muscle by spending ridiculous amounts of money.
I agree that the Rags are the "problem child" of the east, no doubt...

Quote:
As for our ticket prices, i'm a bit peeved that they didn't lower individual ticket prices, but i'm assuming that they have a lot to make up for. I'm not saying I back their stance, i'm just excited that we get to see some NHL again. TL also stated that we rank 23rd in the league as far as ticket prices go which isn't that bad since we're a major market club. Chicago is also major market, and they rank as one of the lowest in ticket prices. Wirtz is a whole other disaster, but my point is that for being a major market team, i'm not that upset about our ticket prices.
I was a bit surprised they didn't lower individual prices as well...

Quote:
As for the announcing of Manchester's new coach, I agree completely! It was a perfect time for it. You can thank some of the nobs (Gilmore) for that. That's who I would classify under arrogance, and a couple others on the Kings brass.
Thank you. It's amazing to me that when DT is out here he will take the time to talk with folks. Meaning that if he's at a game and walking on the concourse between periods, he'll stop and TALK with you. Hell, last season during the playoffs I was headed to the broadcast booth to intorduce someone to Ken Cail. DT was in the suite off of the broadcast booth. I basically said "hi Dave" and we ended up talking for like 15-mins before the game. Gilmore on the other hand does his walk at a fast pace and try to look like he's doing something important and just doesn't stop to talk with anyone. I also classify Gilmore in the arrogant category.

Closed Thread