HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards - Unsung Leader With Kings

Old
11-08-2013, 01:36 PM
bmr

vCash: 500
Mike Richards - Unsung Leader With Kings

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=690362&print=true

I still can't believe there's some people out there who would trade this guy. The best managers in this league understand what it takes to bring a winning culture to a team. Detroit has done it, New Jersey has done it...these types of players are very rare and you must do everything it takes to get them.

I'm ecstatic that this guy is on our team.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Can't believe Philly dealt him to us.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 01:49 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I'm having deja vu.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 03:21 PM
damacles1156

Don't need him....Never did...

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Richards and Carter trades were the biggest no brainer trades, it's really as simple as that. No idea why anyone would give up a player like Richards.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:22 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Richards and Carter trades were the biggest no brainer trades, it's really as simple as that. No idea why anyone would give up a player like Richards.
He's very moody and withdrawn

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:38 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
He's very moody and withdrawn
And he doesn't interview well when morons ask him questions.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

I still remember the day I was told about the trade. A friend hit me with bad news first, we had given up Schenn. I felt it all, rage, pain, denial, sickness, despair... but then, a bright light at the end of the tunnel, a little voice inside me reminded me we would only give up Schenn for someone truly great. I asked, filled with hope, "who did we get?". The answer did not disappoint me. Mike Richards. THE Mike Richards. Cannon.

Quickly, the pain of losing Schenn turned into joyful talk of how well Richards would mix in with our boys, watching The Shift on YouTube, and dreaming of what the man would do in black and white.

He has not disappointed. He has a drive and hunger that can't be matched. Clutch doesn't even come close to describing it. He is a playmaker in the true sense of the word. Of course, picking up Carter made what was already a dream into a complete fantasy come true. I'm always psyched to see Richards suit up for my team, and say a little prayer of thanks to Philly each time he makes a play that returns control of a game to us.

As much as I love Brown, Richards also could be considered worthy of a C on his shoulder for LA, easily.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 05:27 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Mike Richards last shift as a Flyer.

This guy don't know the word quit.

Last edited by alpa: 11-09-2013 at 05:35 AM.
alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 07:11 AM
MsWoof

The reason many of us are now Kings' fans! I just love when some Flyer fans say "I do those trades every day of the week". Interestingly, this season they are doing a lot less of that! Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn have done nothing or less than nothing this season. Simmonds is the new whipping boy.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:04 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The reason many of us are now Kings' fans! I just love when some Flyer fans say "I do those trades every day of the week". Interestingly, this season they are doing a lot less of that! Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn have done nothing or less than nothing this season. Simmonds is the new whipping boy.
Voracek hasn't changed he wasn't an 82 game player with the BJ's and he is very streaky and like most of the FLyers, he's weak in his own end. I didn't like him as a BJ because he takes too many shifts and games off and that hasn't changed.
Schenn was overated as a prospect and has been a complete disappointment (but not a surprise, I didn't expect more than that, given the scouting reports I read for his last year with the Wheat Kings and the Blades) Keep him on wing (he doesn't have the IQ or responsibility to be a top center and it's showed ) on the 2nd line where he has less to think about and he'll eb a 25 goal/ 55 pt role player, not a guy you can lean on, not a leader, or someone who thrives in critical game situations (he shrinks) and not an 82 game player. he's probably the worst defensive forward on the team and ahas been since his rookie year. The Flyers overvalue their centers at times and this is a case where they should have traded him for Ryan when they had the chance. Or Yandle. The scouts who've watched him since he came to the Flyers are reporting back what they see, and it's the reason that last year and this one ,the name you hear in trade rumors is Couturier not his.

Couturier was misused badly , brought up way too soon. At 18, he should have played 2011-12 in juniors and last year all games on the Phantoms (AHL) playing 20 to 23 min a game on a top line in every situation. At 20 ,this is the year he should be rookie. He wasn't physically or mentally ready to face the NHL at 18 and shame on them for using him as their crutch because nobody else no how to play defense. At 18 putting him out agasint the best forwards in the league...too much pressure. Given the right chance to grow over the next few years, I'll say the same thing I said when they drafted him. By the times he's 24, he''ll be one of the best 2 way forwards in the game, he's that good. His instincts are 1st rate. And whatever team that is, will; use him the right way on the 2nd line by then so he has the right mates to have offensive success with.

I don't think Simmonds is the new whipping boy at all. Most every player not named Mason has been scrutinized and criticized and deserve every bit of those words. You put those skates on and that jersey on and you do the job you're being paid to do .
He's not playing injured and he's been flat out awful. So he not a whipping boy at all.
He's got ton of heart and plays a very physical game and he'll bleed for his team. But he's not a top 6 player and his inflated stats esp the first year, were due to Lavvy's ridiculous pond hockey system. Most of his points came on the PP, with Jagr and G by planting himself in front of the net. But the flip side of that was the nmber of goals he didn't prevent that went in. But Berube changed the system to one where the forwards are expected to defend their end first and esp win board battles. And anyone not named Read or Couturier can't do that, esp Giroux , who if he's not in the open ice, struggles, and his size doesn't help.

I like Simmonds when he's used right, on the 3rd line when he doesn't have to overthink the situation and doesn't get more minutes than he can handle, he's better. But he's IQ doesn't allow for him to have the same instincts as a top defensive player and the majority of the time , he makes the wrong decision. His turnovers are brutal and so are the penalties he takes.

I think he will get traded, one of several who will. I think on a new team without being put into a position he can't handle, he'll be fine.

But he's not a victim here.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote