HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kyle Turris one of league's best contracts?

Old
11-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
You could almost say he's centering one of the most steady offensive lines in the NHL this year. But it's also a pretty balanced line in terms of talent.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:12 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
Can I claim small sample size or would that be in bad taste?

Hell of a start, either way.
He has been playing great hockey pretty much since the day he came to Ottawa. Last year he really didn't get enough credit for the job he did, even at time Ottawa fans weren't giving him enough recognition. This year he has managed to step his play up once again. Looks stronger and found some good chemistry with MacArthur off the bat, Ryan fit in right away once he was put on that line as well.

I can see Turris being a number one centre in a few years. He played the role last year and although he wasn't excellent he was good and it has allowed him to grow as a player. So far this season has been much better than Spezza. With that said Spezza is coming off a major injury so it's expected that it takes time for him to return to form.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Pure

Bryan Murray is a great hockey GM.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:26 AM
ducky

The Coyotes should get credit for helping turris develop his 2 way game. It is too bad he bailed on his team. Forced the Coyotes to trade him.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:31 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
The Coyotes should get credit for helping turris develop his 2 way game. It is too bad he bailed on his team. Forced the Coyotes to trade him.
Probably would have never become the player he is now in Phoenix. I look at David Rundblad and it pisses me off how he is being handled. You have a guy with so much promise and you want him to grow into a two way player but you aren't allowing him to grow at the NHL level.

I'm looking at Kyle Turris game log as a Coyote and wow. In 2011-2012 he played under 10 minutes 22 times in 65 games. Played 15+ minutes 11 times. Comes to Ottawa the following year and played under 15 minutes once (14:54) in 49 games.

Last edited by MrCraigAnderson: 11-09-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old
11-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Jerry Aldini

Hadn't watched much Turris when he was in Phoenix, and I wasn't too excited about him coming over - assumed of course everything negative with him was the mostly the fault of Turris. As The Latvian noted, system in Phoenix appeared to be the issue, sooo - glad we were able to snag him

Jerry Aldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 07:45 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

When he was firs draft a lot of people said it would take him this long to develop so I was surprised when at 19 he was playing in the NHL.

His development was handled poorly but it's nice to see him over come it.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Healfezza

If he continues playing the way he is I see a possible Selke nomination. Night in night out his line gets the bulk of the defensive zone starts but shreds the opposition in shot and goal differential.

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:29 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Probably would have never become the player he is now in Phoenix. I look at David Rundblad and it pisses me off how he is being handled. You have a guy with so much promise and you want him to grow into a two way player but you aren't allowing him to grow at the NHL level.

I'm looking at Kyle Turris game log as a Coyote and wow. In 2011-2012 he played under 10 minutes 22 times in 65 games. Played 15+ minutes 11 times. Comes to Ottawa the following year and played under 15 minutes once (14:54) in 49 games.
Turris was not ready yet in Phoenix and he had a poor attitude. When you have the third best record in the league, and maybe the best Defensive core, Runblad won't play much. If Runblad were in Ottawa, 20th best team, he would play, a lot. In Phoenix, it is all about winning...

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Turris was not ready yet in Phoenix and he had a poor attitude. When you have the third best record in the league, and maybe the best Defensive core, Runblad won't play much. If Runblad were in Ottawa, 20th best team, he would play, a lot. In Phoenix, it is all about winning...
Weird, it wasnt about winning when Ottawa kicked Phoenix's arse in their own building last month.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:50 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Weird, it wasnt about winning when Ottawa kicked Phoenix's arse in their own building last month.
OT loss, well I guess that is a beating now isn't it...At least Ottawa beat one good team this year

Old
11-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
Your missing the point, nothing he said was untrue. Pace doesnt = proven.

Pacioretty is not a proven perennial 30g/65pt guy. He's proven that he's capable of it, if healthy and firing on all cylinders, but hes far from a sure thing.
He hasn't really had the chance to play in a full season except 2 years ago where he actually had 33 goals and 65 pts in 79 games (missed 3 games due to a suspension).

It's not like he had a hot streak or anything, he's been producing at that pace (or better) since being called up in 2010 so that is more than 150 games. Pretty significant sample to call him a 30 goals and 60 pts guy IMO.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:42 AM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
OT loss, well I guess that is a beating now isn't it...At least Ottawa beat one good team this year
But their schedule is getting easier. Just you watch.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:18 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Phoenix didn't give him an opportunity to grow. Getting out of there was the best thing he could have done. And What a stupid thing to say, as if Ottawa wasn't trying to win. Don't let the first 16 games fools you, it's a long season. They just happen to be pretty good at developing NHL talent.

Old
11-09-2013, 11:23 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
That's cute. You're 17 games in. Ottawa is certainly one of the best at developing players though, so he probably would play a lot in Ottawa.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:27 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

This Senators-Coyotes rivalry is starting to get heated.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:00 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

I think it's pretty close to a tie between JVR and Turris for some of the best contracts.

JVR:
PPG in the series again the Bruins and had 32 points in 48 games last season. Currently PPG and looking like our #1 LW for the future. Signed for 4.25/year until 2018.

Turris:
Almost PPG in Ottawa's playoff run, and had 29 in 48 games last season. Also currently PPG and not sure where he is fitting in Ottawa's depth chart. Signed for 3.5/year until 2018.

Pretty comparable, Same age, similar stats, similar draft position. Slight edge to Turris overall with a better contract and he plays centre. Slight edge to JVR for height.
Both players have excelled with fresh starts with new Ontario based teams.

Crazy similarities.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:16 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Phoenix didn't give him an opportunity to grow. Getting out of there was the best thing he could have done. And What a stupid thing to say, as if Ottawa wasn't trying to win. Don't let the first 16 games fools you, it's a long season. They just happen to be pretty good at developing NHL talent.
I'm not fooled by the 16 game performance of Turris. In Phoenix, it is the merit system, you play well, you are in the line up, you get minutes, that is how Phoenix wins games. Mistakes wind up in your own net. I would say Phoenix has developed Yandle and OEL just fine, the 2 best D on any one team, and Hanzel too. Tip does not have to play Runblad to pacify the GM...

Old
11-09-2013, 12:19 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
1-it's great contract, Canada can save on insurance.

2-ppg player offensively. Even if he goes down to 60 points over a full season, he's still good enough offensively.

3-He's elite defensively. He just doesn't get scored on at even strength. He's +11 in 16 games on a bad Sens team. He plays against top players.

Wayne Gretzky says his hockey sense is right up there with the best in the game. I agree with him. He's nearly flawless defensively. After the playoffs last year, Pens fans were saying how Turris could win a Selke.

Whatever happens, he deserves to be in the conversation at least.
The way you pump the tires of almost every Sens player you'd think they're the best team in the league... Must be bad coaching

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:28 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
I'm not fooled by the 16 game performance of Turris. In Phoenix, it is the merit system, you play well, you are in the line up, you get minutes, that is how Phoenix wins games. Mistakes wind up in your own net. I would say Phoenix has developed Yandle and OEL just fine, the 2 best D on any one team, and Hanzel too. Tip does not have to play Runblad to pacify the GM...
Thing is Turris has been very good since he became a senator, it's not just 16 games. I have nothing against the team just completely disagree with how they develop players. But it's working for them as of now. They have made some good signings.

Old
11-09-2013, 12:35 PM
RABBIT
KILLAFORNIA KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The North View Post
That's cute. You're 17 games in. Ottawa is certainly one of the best at developing players though, so he probably would play a lot in Ottawa.
I don't know why you're reacting so negatively to what he said. He just stated facts. Nobody over here on the Coyotes board think that the Senators suck, and we certainly don't think Phoenix is a powerhouse in the NHL. We're just off to a good start, and our current defense is carrying us. Rundblad will get hos shot with us, and if not, he'll be traded.

And to be fair, the Coyotes attempted to "develop" Turris under Gretzky. That didn't work out for anybody. Had we had Tippett the entire time I think Turris would still be a Coyote, unless of course his bad attitude was derives from just being apart of the Coyotes organization, rather than him being upset about not getting his shot or his money.

RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:38 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot View Post
Even if he puts up 40 pts a season, for 3.5M its still a good contract.
Came in here to say this.

Its a great deal.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Tom Polakis
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
This Senators-Coyotes rivalry is starting to get heated.

Yeah, looking forward to a Cup final between the two teams. Let's see NBC try to make that one interesting!

Turris's problem early was that he was easy to knock off the puck, but by his last season with the Coyotes before his holdout, he was getting stronger. From what I saw when the Sens played here, he was one of the strongest players. I don't know that it was as much as not having a chance to develop in Phoenix as much as it was that he was just beginning to blossom as he got into his contract season.

Rundblad would be getting minutes here, but the defensive depth is a strength of the team. He has looked shaky in his own zone, but it's a chicken and egg problem; how will he get better if he doesn't play, and how can we afford to play him?

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:12 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Thing is Turris has been very good since he became a senator, it's not just 16 games. I have nothing against the team just completely disagree with how they develop players. But it's working for them as of now. They have made some good signings.
Before Tip, back in Waynes world, they brought up and played a lot of young guys too quickly, Turris was one of them along with Mueller, Tikonov and a few others, and it hurt their development. The year Turris left, he was in a dispute and was probably worried that he would not produce enough in Phoenix to get a big contract, so he forced his way out. He was going to get minutes and be the 2C that year.

I know he went to Ottawa and got some points right away, and landed a nice deal, good for him. He just did not want to be in Phoenix, so they got rid of him. It was about his attitude. Tip just does not play guys, rookies or vets, that make mistakes. You have to bring more to the table then you give up. This is why Phoenix has done more with less offensive talent then other elite teams.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:28 PM
bossram

I think it's a really solid contract. One of those big deals for RFAs instead of bridge contract for players who haven't really established themselves. They look great if the player pans out, but turn into millstones if the don't progress.

It was a risk that worked out for Ottawa and Turris.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote