HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How bad is Bishop for Conacher?

Old
11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Tampa won the trade then, and now. I'm still content with Conacher.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Sens bought high on Conacher and sold low on Bishop

Tampa won the trade fairly easily
How exactly did Ottawa sell Bishop low? He was rocking ~.928 sv% at the time of the trade and was playing very well but was a third stringer due to Anderson and Lehner.

Conacher is a good player. Lots of speed, skill and grit. He's played much better than his numbers indicate, don't expect that to continue.

Pretty typical knee jeep HF thread here.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
BeerandHockey
╚(_)╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Looking at some of the recent trades of say the last 5 years, where does this rank among the worst? It's possible Conacher may not be in the NHL in under 4 years. Meanwhile Bishop has a shot at team USA for Sochi.

How did the Sens scouting screw this one up?
I'm curious why you don't think Conacher will be in the league in 4 years? He is not afraid to go to the net, he is really fast and is a pest. His production is not as high as Sens may want, but he is an NHL player.
Ottawa had no other better offers for Bishop and they needed to unload him. The biggest losers in all this are teams that needed a goalie and would not top Tampa's offer.
Another thing to consider is the position. A skater can play hot and cold and not hurt the team. When a goalie plays hot and cold it makes a huge difference to the team. Bishop is playing hot now.

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
deckercky

Who else was going to pay more than Tampa? Bishop wasn't going to bump Anderson or Lehner, and they couldn't keep all three. Tampa got more value, but that doesn't mean Ottawa lost.

Now the real question is whether a team with goaltending issues like Edmonton SHOULD have paid more than Conacher to get Bishop, and the answer is obviously yes.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Sky04

Tampa fans thought we got hosed on the trade at the time, Conacher will be a fan favorite wherever he goes. But hindsight is 20/20, obviously the Lightning make out like bandits right now doesn't mean that can't change. Not to mention Conacher is only 23 and 63 games into his NHL career, the guy has the work ethic to stay in this league.

Also as others have mentioned, Tampa traded at the time, the leading rookie scorer in the NHL and a 4th round pick, other offers included Ryan Jones from Edmonton.

Anyhow, remember how the mainboard thought Yzerman was a terrible GM last year? Most of his questionable moves look brilliant in hindsight.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

The problem here is not the trade, it's people's perception of unproven goalie values. They are not worth as much as you think.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

As a Lightning fan this trade is...

A win-win.

Not as much fun as one team robbing the other blind, but there it is. Bishop was unnecessary in Ottawa, but needed desperately in Tampa. Conacher was pushed out by the sheer number of quality forwards upcoming in the Lightning ranks, Sens obviously needed a versatile winger, who despite the lack of size, can score and battle.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:19 PM
SoulPatch

Revisionist history at its best.

Bishop's value was a 2nd round pick (maybe a bit more) when he was traded. Nobody was offering more than Tampa. Ottawa had 3 goalies who could start for them and Bishop was the most "easily" dispensable. Robyn Lehner needed NHL time, and I'm happy with the deal we got.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:20 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

I was 100% in the camp that Tampa got ***** in this trade.

I was wrong.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
Revisionist history at its best.

Bishop's value was a 2nd round pick (maybe a bit more) when he was traded. Nobody was offering more than Tampa. Ottawa had 3 goalies who could start for them and Bishop was the most "easily" dispensable. Robyn Lehner needed NHL time, and I'm happy with the deal we got.
Bishop was worth a 2nd rounder the summer before, his value obviously increased when he started playing lights out for Ottawa.

Old
11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Karl Eriksson

Mostly I'm happy for Bish. He was a great guy in Ottawa, and dealing was the only way to get him on the career path he deserves.

Tampa improved more than Ottawa out of the deal, sure, but the deal had to be done.

Teams aren't dumb, they see Ottawa has three #1 goalies and has to deal one, that take a lot of leverage away from Murray. That and Bishops small sample size in terms of starts, and the sens got what they could.

Very different circumstances than most trades that people criticize.

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:26 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Looking at some of the recent trades of say the last 5 years, where does this rank among the worst? It's possible Conacher may not be in the NHL in under 4 years. Meanwhile Bishop has a shot at team USA for Sochi.

How did the Sens scouting screw this one up?
Lots more hockey to be played, the sens didn't screw up he would still be the third best goaltender on the team.

Conacher doesn't get much ice time, its odd Mclean lets all the young guys make mistakes except him. He hasn't played poorly his battle is great he has just lacked finish, he is one of the only bottom 6 forwards on the sens that actually gets scoring chances. Conacher is also only 23 years old and the sens drafted a 6'6 goaltender with the 4th rounder they got. Evaluate this trade in 10 years.

Bishop looked to have some very obvious huge weaknesses in Ottawa, maybe he has improved them? His 5 hole was abused here in Ottawa and his ability to track a puck was very weak. Now he has looked better but look no further then the goal against Chicago that tied the game late or the one he was cheating on last night that went far side. He has the ability to make huge saves obviously I just think if he gets scouted more those holes may become more obvious to shooters.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Bishop was worth a 2nd rounder the summer before, his value obviously increased when he started playing lights out for Ottawa.
A 2013 2nd round pick is worth more than a 2012 2nd round pick.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Elever
Hth

I don't blame Sens at all. I would've done the same trade at the time. They needed some scoring and the value of a 3rd goalie is not that high tbh. I mean Toronto traded a 3rd goalie + Frattin + something for a guy who was the 2nd goalie at the time.

Conacher's a good player and unproven goalies like Bishop are volatile so this trade can easily flip back to Ottawa's favour next year.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The problem here is not the trade, it's people's perception of unproven goalie values. They are not worth as much as you think.
Exactly, for every unproven goalie that succeeds, there are two that fail.

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Iamok
#Panic

If I recall, the options were something like:

2nd + 4th
Conacher + 4th
Jones + 2nd
Rinaldo + 2nd

Not sure what else they'd do.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
2 Weekes Notice

The trade made Tampa Bay a lot better and made Ottawa mildly better. Both teams dealt from surpluses.

Perhaps we should consider such a trade to be "good."

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

What? Conacher has been fine. Were people expecting a legit top line player or something?

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Lots more hockey to be played, the sens didn't screw up he would still be the third best goaltender on the team.

Conacher doesn't get much ice time, its odd Mclean lets all the young guys make mistakes except him. Conacher is also only 23 years old and the sens drafted a 6'6 goaltender with the 4th rounder they got. Evaluate this trade in 10 years.

Bishop looked to have some very obvious huge weaknesses in Ottawa, maybe he has improved them? His 5 hole was abused here in Ottawa and his ability to track a puck was very weak. Now he has looked better but look no further then the goal against Chicago that tied the game late or the one he was cheating on last night that went far side. He has the ability to make huge saves obviously I just think if he gets scouted more those holes may become more obvious to shooters.
That surprises me. He's been tracking the puck amazingly well.

Also, I don't know what goal you're talking about from last night... The guy that got off a rifle alone in the slot or the snipe by Hall?

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I'm just happy bishop landed on a great team. We needed to move a goalie and all three had great numbers. I love watching conacher play and we was well worth a second round pick.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Karl Eriksson

If the deal had not been done, he'd be in Bingo right now, or Lehner would have murdered him.

If anything, Murray prevented senseless bloodletting.

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
If the deal had not been done, he'd be in Bingo right now, or Lehner would have murdered him.

If anything, Murray prevented senseless bloodletting.

Quite possible.

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Value-wise I don't mind it. His value wasn't very high and the other offers Murray got were pretty bad.

The worst part about the trade is that we made a divisional rival a better team.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Paradoc
Number 1 Goalie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Calm down there bud, honestly, at least Ottawa got something for Bishop.
Could have gotten something better other than Conacher. I think Read for the flyers was the other piece. Sens could have benefit from read than conacher, IMO.

Last edited by Paradoc: 11-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Paradoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
Could have gotten something better other than Conacher. I think Read for the flyers was the other piece. Sens would have benefit from read than conacher, IMO.
I've never heard that, Philly offered Read? can you confirm with a link? Otherwise I could sit here and say Ottawa should've traded "X" player and it would've been better than "Y" player.

Last edited by Sky04: 11-08-2013 at 05:09 PM.