HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How bad is Bishop for Conacher?

Old
11-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
If you think Bishop isn't in the discussion for the Olympics, I don't know what you're watching. You likely aren't watching at all. I'm not saying he will (or even should) be picked but going 10-2 with a .928 and a 2.14 on a team that has a suspect defense at best according to anyone on HF ever. It's impressive what he's doing right now. It's a small sample obviously and it's way too early to say someone has won or lost this trade but Ben Bishop is going to be a name out there come Olympic time.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:53 AM
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

vCash: 50
Conacher has had his flashes, but yeah, clear win right now for TB!

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:27 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Gotta laugh at people saying they could have gotten more. They accepted the best deal. If anybody lost in this deal it's the teams that wanted him but weren't willing to offer more.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Bishop wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to prove himself in Ottawa that he has had in Tampa. At the time of the trade he was a 25-26 year old backup with starter potential, guys like that just aren't worth that much in a trade. I don't see it as bad because who else would have offered much for him? Even the Oilers only mustered Jones+2nd. There are worse problems than having to trade one of your 3 good goalies.

Happy for Bish though, the guy put in his time in St Louis and Ottawa, and he saved our 2011-12 season when Andy went down.

Tap on the Ankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:37 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

How could the Sens have gotten more for Bishop? OP clearly wasn't around here then, other offer was Ryan Jones, as if that's a better offer.

The market for unproven goalies was pretty bad. You can't blame Ottawa anymore than you can blame St. Louis for trading Bishop for a 2nd. When evaluating trades, you need to think.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
A goalie with 57 NHL games, zero NHL playoff experience, and one subpar World Championship performance is not in the conversation.
jonathan quick made the 2010 roster with much pretty the same amount of experience.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Drouined My Career
should I stay or go?

eheg

Drouined My Career is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:56 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Canuck View Post
I am late for the party but here are my thoughts.

honestly, I told you guys Anderson was a journeyman his whole career . He has become solid but his Vezina impersonation was not going to last. You should have sold Anderson when teams were willing to cough up bars of gold and held onto Bishop.

But fear not. You guys got Anderson for basically nothing so you did good.
Ottawa (a team with a long history or mediocre goaltending)... had just finished a brutal stretch of nearly 4 straight seasons with amongst the worst goaltending in the league before Anderson was acquired. Trading Anderson to go with goalies with 20 & 30 games of experience would have been a terrible decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Conacher has 14 Pts in his last 54GP

He had a hot streak coming out of the lockout with MSL and Stamkos... When the rest of the NHL got there legs he became useless.

To small for the NHL
'He hasn't played as well as expected as a Sen.'
'He's primarily been a 4th liner since he got here.'

But even though he's not played as well as expected and is barely getting any ice time, he has 7 goals in 36 games as a Sen for a 16 goal pace. 4th liners score 16 points a year. 3rd liners are lucky to score 16 goals. There might be something to work with here because he has time to improve.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Ottawa got SOMETHING for their third-best goaltender. It's not THAT bad. Trading goaltenders is not like trading a skater. There are only 60 openings, 30 starting gigs. You're pretty limited right off the bat.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:01 PM
xVolchenkov

I'm happy for TB. Bishop seemed like a great guy and was a solid goalie while he was here in Ottawa. Glad to see him doing so well.

Personally, I still like CC. Before Ryan was put on a line with MacArthur and Turris, I thought Conacher looked awesome with them. He plays with a lot of grit, drives the net and draws a ton of penalties.

Even if Tampa ends up getting the better end of the deal, I'm still okay with it. Murray took the best offer and we wouldn't have had space for Big Ben this season with Lehner and Anderson both already fighting for the #1 job.

xVolchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
If you think Bishop isn't in the discussion for the Olympics, I don't know what you're watching. You likely aren't watching at all. I'm not saying he will (or even should) be picked but going 10-2 with a .928 and a 2.14 on a team that has a suspect defense at best according to anyone on HF ever. It's impressive what he's doing right now. It's a small sample obviously and it's way too early to say someone has won or lost this trade but Ben Bishop is going to be a name out there come Olympic time.
Poile has already made it clear that Bishop has caused them to take notice with his recent play (even though he was atrocious at the WC) and he's in consideration for a position.

He won't get one, but he's played well and deserves the praise for it from the US selection committee to at least get referenced as a candidate.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:17 PM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

I'm sure the organization will be forever haunted for taking the best offer for a player that would have walked in the off-season, and had no future with the team.

Thread of the year potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Canuck View Post
I am late for the party but here are my thoughts.

honestly, I told you guys Anderson was a journeyman his whole career . He has become solid but his Vezina impersonation was not going to last. You should have sold Anderson when teams were willing to cough up bars of gold and held onto Bishop.

But fear not. You guys got Anderson for basically nothing so you did good.
Not only late, I think you may be at the wrong address.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Did Ottawa lose the trade? No.

Did TB get a bigger 'win' out of it? Yes.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 02:28 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Sens bought high on Conacher and sold low on Bishop

Tampa won the trade fairly easily
This.

Ottawa could've gotten more for Bishop, or they could've kept Bishop and traded Lehner for a bigger return.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 02:31 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
This.

Ottawa could've gotten more for Bishop, or they could've kept Bishop and traded Lehner for a bigger return.
Jones and a 2nd or Rinaldo and a 2nd is more? As good as Bishop has been. Lehner has been better.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Here I Pageau Again

Personally, I am happy with Conacher. The trade looks bad if comparing players directly and not looking at any other factors. But the Sens HAD to get rid of Bishop or Lehner. I personally would prefer Lehner. And they took the best deal available. It would have been nice to have a better offer, but Conacher has done fine. He works hard, he draws penalties, and can get under the skin of other players. He's not as effective offensively in Ottawa, but he's still fairly young.

Here I Pageau Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 03:15 PM
His Beardliness*

Both teams won the trade. Edmonton lost.

His Beardliness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 03:34 PM
BK201

Bishop for Conacher is quietly becoming a terrible trade

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 04:01 PM
jaems

Not as bad as Hasek for Beauregard.