HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Does Claude Giroux still make Canadian Olympic team?

Old
11-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Duchene - Crosby - Tavares
Stamkos - Giroux - St. Louis
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Couture - Toews - Nash*
Two of: Eric Staal, Joe Thornton or P. Bergeron

*if not healthy, P. Sharp gets that spot

Damn, I'd love to find a spot for M. Richards here and reunite the 2010 line, but I don't see it right now. Couture can hopefully replace his presence.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Honour Over Glory

vCash: 500
I wouldn't think so, if he keeps struggling, no, keep him off and go with the guys that are playing well. The last thing you want is a guy there based on his previous play and continuing to play like crap in a short tournament representing your country.

Canada has an overwhelming amount of talented players that are doing well, at the Center position. I mean for the top 3 you couldn't go wrong with Crosby, Getzlaf and Toews. Even if Giroux is playing well again, I don't think he's supplanted Getzlaf as the guy that should be the 2nd C. Toews deserves to be there as well as a Centerman and Tavares should get some respect here in that regard as well.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:03 PM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
Canada has so many options. I see no reason to bring a player in such a serious slump.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:08 PM
orangecrush8

I also don't understand people bringing up this 2c, 3c, etc talk.

People who think the players who make Team Canada all play in their natural position are sorely mistaken. Besides, there are many Flyers fan who prefer Giroux on the wing.

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Minister of Offence

There's a pretty good chance everything changes for Giroux as soon as he gets on the ice with that team...if he's still slumping going in. Giroux didn't just all of a sudden regress in abilities.

We put the best line in the NHL on a line together at the last Olympics and they largely didn't do anything.

The Olympics are an entirely new season.

Who knows what mentality HC uses, but they are typically looking at bubble players and chemistry options while watching the league now IMO. For all we know, Giroux slumping may just mean he has a better chance of playing with Crosby.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:18 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
There's a pretty good chance everything changes for Giroux as soon as he gets on the ice with that team...if he's still slumping going in. Giroux didn't just all of a sudden regress in abilities.

We put the best line in the NHL on a line together at the last Olympics and they largely didn't do anything.

Who knows what mentality HC uses, but they are typically looking at bubble players and chemistry options while watching the league now IMO. For all we know, Giroux slumping may just mean he has a better chance of playing with Crosby.
Pretty good points I hafta say.

Could Crosby and Giroux co-exist on the same line? I would so badly love to see them hugging and hi-fiving each other. The thought of it almost makes me melt inside like a schoolgirl with a crush.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I also don't understand people bringing up this 2c, 3c, etc talk.

People who think the players who make Team Canada all play in their natural position are sorely mistaken. Besides, there are many Flyers fan who prefer Giroux on the wing.
There are still better players performing well this year that the team would be better off adding. Yeah I get it, you are a Flyers fan, but this is about Team CANADA as well, this is their chance at winning a gold medal, do you take a guy that can be good but isn't playing well right now or do you take guys that are good and playing well?

Seems simple enough to me, there are more than enough options out there where leaving him off doesn't hurt the team. But if he starts to play like the player he is capable of being, sure, he should definitely be there, without question. I don't give a flying **** if he is a Flyer.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post

Here's the thing though, this isn't the regular season where adding him to that might jump start him, because if he still slumps, he's doing it on the international stage and hurting his country's chance at a medal.

He needs to jump start his play before they make the final selections.

Team Canada doesn't care to add players and hope adding them does the trick to make them be the players they once were. That's not their responsibility. Theirs is to pick the best players right now to win it all. You take the guys playing well.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Pretty good points I hafta say.

Could Crosby and Giroux co-exist on the same line? I would so badly love to see them hugging and hi-fiving each other. The thought of it almost makes me melt inside like a schoolgirl with a crush.
Sid is apparently friends with Subban and others on teams the Pens have pretty heated battles against. I doubt most care when the season is over, when it's on, yeah, probably not pals.

I mean, Chris Pronger & Mike Richards were on the 2010 team, they won gold together on the same team.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:53 AM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
There are still better players performing well this year that the team would be better off adding. Yeah I get it, you are a Flyers fan, but this is about Team CANADA as well, this is their chance at winning a gold medal, do you take a guy that can be good but isn't playing well right now or do you take guys that are good and playing well?

Seems simple enough to me, there are more than enough options out there where leaving him off doesn't hurt the team. But if he starts to play like the player he is capable of being, sure, he should definitely be there, without question. I don't give a flying **** if he is a Flyer.
Woah woah woah.

If you reread my initial post you will notice I was simply commenting on the fact that people have completely written him off after a 16 game slump. In fact, I even mentioned that he won't and shouldn't make the team if he doesn't get out of his current funk. But to completely right him off is ridiculous. Especially considering what he has accomplished in the past and still having time to turn it around. Being a Flyers fan is irrelevant in this situation. Believe me, if he doesn't turn it around I don't want him there.

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:06 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Sid is apparently friends with Subban and others on teams the Pens have pretty heated battles against. I doubt most care when the season is over, when it's on, yeah, probably not pals.

I mean, Chris Pronger & Mike Richards were on the 2010 team, they won gold together on the same team.
Oh for sure I agree. Lots of times these guys hang out with each other after games, even though they were pushing each other around a few hours ago.

But Sid and Giroux are two who generally seem to hate each other. I would be surprised if that is not a year-round thing.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It's an interesting question, if he continues slumping up until February (which I doubt, but you never know). It becomes one of those situations where if you take him and he doesn't perform, you think, "why in the world did we take a guy who was underperforming all year?". And if you don't take him and you lose, it becomes, "why in the world did we leave off an elite player just because of a bad stretch?".

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:24 PM
blinds

Seems like a lot of people think he's only competing for a center position. Giroux's played wing and his style fits wing better than a lot of these others competing for this spot. He's also shown some nice chemistry with Stamkos. These are all going to be factors when they're comparing him to someone like Getzlaf for instance, whose style of play is much more suited to center, which as many have pointed out has a lot more competition than wing.

I think the spot is still his to lose. People are making too much of his slump. 8 points in 16 games is bad, but not Gomez territory. The entire team is awful, the offense is the worst in the league. Obviously Giroux's slump is part of it, but the team's slump has a large effect on his production as well.

He's a playmaker, and as his critics like to point out, he's never broken 30 goals. When the entire team is snake bitten and can't find the back of the net, he won't be getting as many points. He's set up a ton of beautiful chances that go nowhere. Two players that have been a major part of his production, Timonen and Hartnell, have fallen off a cliff. They both only just got their first points. Playmakers will live and die with their team's performance, more so than goalscorers.

Not to excuse his bad play entirely though. He's been much less tenacious and hasn't looked like himself, other than this past game against the Oilers. I think he's still adjusting from the increased focus on him. Wouldn't have the same problem on Canada though with that stacked roster.

Last edited by blinds: 11-11-2013 at 12:43 PM.
blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Guy Germaine

lock? not even close. Canada is so deep, you take the guys who are playing the best.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Curufinwe

He will have to really pick up his scoring a lot to make the team now. I think he'll be getting a nice rest in Februrary and watching the games on TV.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
Duchene - Crosby - Tavares
Stamkos - Giroux - St. Louis
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Couture - Toews - Nash*
Two of: Eric Staal, Joe Thornton or P. Bergeron

*if not healthy, P. Sharp gets that spot

Damn, I'd love to find a spot for M. Richards here and reunite the 2010 line, but I don't see it right now. Couture can hopefully replace his presence.
No, Giroux has played himself off the team. And yes, Mike Richards will be on the team, certainly before Benn, Eric Staal, Joe Thornton and P. Sharp. He plays on winners, enuff said.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Curufinwe

Unfortunately, a wing spot might have just opened up.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Yup.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
TheHeroIshere
Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Yeah under very crappy circumstances. His chances just raised a lot

TheHeroIshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:43 PM
prophetofgreed

With Stamkos gone... Giroux may have just gotten his spot.

prophetofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Way too early to say that boys, there's still Carter/Sharp/Benn/Seguin that could make it over Giroux.

I personally still have Giroux on my TC team after the Stammer injury, but still.

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Blitzkrug
#BigWillyStyle

vCash: 84
Safe to say he's a lock now due to unfortunate circumstances

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:51 PM
LeTigre

A spot opened up, sure. But Giroux better play his way into that spot. As it stands, he can't possibly have a ticket.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:17 PM
CpatainCanuck

There are 35 Canadian centres with more than Giroux's 8 points. Unless he shows signs he is breaking out of his slump in the next few weeks, I don't see any reason he should be picked.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:30 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
There are 35 Canadian centres with more than Giroux's 8 points. Unless he shows signs he is breaking out of his slump in the next few weeks, I don't see any reason he should be picked.
I hate to argue on behalf of any Flyer, but Giroux is a lot more than just his points. What he has done in flashes with the Flyers (particularly against the Pens and Crosby) showed a level of play and a demeanor that could be extremely beneficial. Canada will have a ton of scorers available, but guys who can score and control a game as Giroux has at times are rare. Those are the qualities he needs to show now.