HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#17| New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets| November 9th | "Jack"| F/L 5-2

Old
11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
redbull
Expect more

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree with this, the Isles barely ever outwork anyone. This team just doesn't care, who's to blame for that ? Also, I hate to say I told you so, but the PMB and Regin signings were a complete waste of time and money. I can't believe we are stuck with that stiff PMB for another year. I can't believe only the coaching staff feels we are better with PMB and Regin in the lineup over Nelson and Strome, who both outplayed those 2 stiffs in preseason. What a disgrace this season is turning into. Well, maybe after we are eliminated from the playoff race in January, maybe we'll get to see Strome, Lee, Pedan and Mayfield.

Also, Tavares and Hamonic are playing themselves out of the Olympics as are Nabakov and Okposo.
PMB is on a one year deal. So is Regin. Both will be traded at the deadline, along with Vanek. Seems inevitable, even in the awful-east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes of 1980 View Post
I was at all three of those games at home, and coming home from game 6, I felt very uneasy. It was awesome to see a competitive team in the playoffs for the first time in years. At the same time, though, I knew that if Garth didn't make moves over the offseason, we could be looking at another lottery year. I feel the Islanders have shown flashes of brilliance this season against teams like Pittsburgh and Boston, but we just don't have the pieces to be a consistently competitive team. The only thing that will be consistent is the inconsistency until the Islanders improve on defense.
they seem to be content with losing now. They find ways to give up a goal after they score. Take a bad penalty that leads to a goal. Get a shot blocked, leads to a goal.

At the same time, they get a big PP and get zero shots. Have a scoring chance, they shoot wide or in the crest of the goalie.

Just a really poor effort. They aren't good enough to win if they don't give max effort and get great goaltending.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Gotta love Lavvy. He's awesome. We need a coach with some balls who will tell the players they suck. It's so obvious this team need that, there is no accountability. Lavvy would kick Tavares out of his funk, bench the floaters, etc. We need him, we won't be getting him.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 08:58 PM
JTROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I agree, but good coaching can make up for some of the issues that the payroll won't cover, and as long as Charlie Cheapskate won't pay for any upgrades like you suggest, and Snow isn't going to go against the owner, then upgrading coaching is all you can do at this point.

Maybe we get lucky. We all know Weight is next in line and we all know he won't be a good coach, not without way more seasoning, so perhaps we dump Cappy now, stick Weight in, burn him out by April, then hire a REAL coach over the summer. I am warm to this idea.
Whether or not Weight would/will be a good head coach is a total unknown- what we do know is that Capuano is one of the worst NHL coaches the league has ever seen- a move has to be made--- ASAP

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:02 PM
xECK29x

Rangers and Capitals are starting to take off, if we are not in that top 3, no playoffs, simple.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
redbull
Expect more

PMB gets promoted to the first line. Nice reward. Regin and McDonald on the PP. MacDonald and Hamonic were split up, finally, one day, someone will tell Butch.

Not that the lines would make much difference with a poor effort like tonight.

So many players played poorly - not worth the details.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
Maybe Mark Streit was a little more important to this team than every one of you would give credit for.
when he wanted 3.3 for 3 years i was sorta kinda ok with it. after visnovsky signed for 4.5 for two years (?) and streit upped his price to 5.5 that sealed his fate on long island. especially after his piss poor season last year.

hes doing well in philly, and i wish him the best of luck.......but only holmgren or sather would have been stupid enough to sign him for that deal.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:03 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
I agree, but good coaching can make up for some of the issues that the payroll won't cover, and as long as Charlie Cheapskate won't pay for any upgrades like you suggest, and Snow isn't going to go against the owner, then upgrading coaching is all you can do at this point.

Maybe we get lucky. We all know Weight is next in line and we all know he won't be a good coach, not without way more seasoning, so perhaps we dump Cappy now, stick Weight in, burn him out by April, then hire a REAL coach over the summer. I am warm to this idea.
This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I just want a legit NHL coach already, it's been TOO LONG.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
scott99

Let's face it, until we get a REAL owner who wants to win (kinda like a Steinbrenner/Cuban type) we are ****ed. Anyone who thinks that's not true is just delusional.

Old
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

[QUOTE=19NYSports91;74126471][/QUOTE

capuano prob doesnt even come close to that, even in the worst losses. its probably a constant carousel of "well we played good, but some things didn't go our way" over, and over again. our D is weak, and goaltending is subpar, but i cannot take this team underachieving anymore. i really feel their success last year was inspite of cappy, not because of him.

laviolette has been successful every place hes been, and has done a great job with underachieving teams, if they were smart enough to bring him in, i'm willing to bet this team turns it around instantaneously . that obviously wont happen, because this team loves linear moves, or moves that makes them look smarter than they actually are.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:11 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Show that to Capuano and he will probably hide behind his chair.
I can't tell if the player at 43 seconds is just like "man this sucks" or he is trying not to openly laugh his ass off.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:11 PM
xECK29x

Tavares held a closed door meeting, good.

Old
11-09-2013, 09:13 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
With any luck he took control of the situation and fired the coaching staff himself.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:15 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
where did you hear this?

if this is true and TAVARES held it then capuano needs to be gone. right ****ing now

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTROCKS

Quote:
5 Forwards on the ******* power play!

No wonder why Butch sounds like he drinks during the game. The stupidity from the coaching staff is like a sledgehammer to his cranium.
And one of them was PMB ---

Old
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
5 Forwards on the ******* power play!

No wonder why Butch sounds like he drinks during the game. The stupidity from the coaching staff is like a sledgehammer to his cranium.
to be fair on the one pp we had, they looked decent

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:19 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
What has Snow done to earn and maintain the free pass he gets? Capuano sucks, but who hired him? Who assembled the roster? Who has been in charge since 06 and has never won a playoff round?
It's Wang man, but you probably already realize that.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:21 PM
JTROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Was 4 to 1 View Post
where did you hear this?

if this is true and TAVARES held it then capuano needs to be gone. right ****ing now
Staple tweeted that the TEAM had a brief meeting before speaking w/ media--- Vanek def out tmw--- no other update

Old
11-09-2013, 09:21 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Was 4 to 1 View Post
to be fair on the one pp we had, they looked decent
Forwards on the points for your powerplay will eventually lead to a heinous SGA total.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
I can't tell if the player at 43 seconds is just like "man this sucks" or he is trying not to openly laugh his ass off.
You mean Jagr?

Old
11-09-2013, 09:35 PM
scott99

Quote:
Hopefully he yelled at himself. He needs to wake the **** up. He's not playing well at all, not dominating, and not leading by example, unless you consider bad examples. He kills this team in his own zone, sucks at face offs, and disappears at weeks at a time, he hasn't been that MVP candidate since late last February. He needs to look in the mirror.

Old
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Rangers and Capitals are starting to take off, if we are not in that top 3, no playoffs, simple.
I thought the top 4 from each division make it?

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:42 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I thought the top 4 from each division make it?
Top 3 for each division, 2 wildcards could be from the same division.

Old
11-09-2013, 09:48 PM
original islander

Quote:
Hopefully he yelled at himself. He needs to wake the **** up. He's not playing well at all, not dominating, and not leading by example, unless you consider bad examples. He kills this team in his own zone, sucks at face offs, and disappears at weeks at a time, he hasn't been that MVP candidate since late last February. He needs to look in the mirror.
It's an unpopular opinion but there's a lot of merit in what you say. He caught fire a little bit toward the end last year but you were correct when you brought it up initially last season.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:13 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Agree completely. He relies on good wingers who are defensive and physical and he needs to really improve his faceoffs, its killing that line, and the team.

Old
11-09-2013, 10:17 PM
scott99

Quote:
Agree completely. He relies on good wingers who are defensive and physical and he needs to really improve his faceoffs, its killing that line, and the team.
He should have worked strictly on face offs this off season. What exactly did he work on, certainly not defensive zone coverage.