HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART IX

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I think Snow will regret not going hard for Bernier
Long term I wish they somehow got a second back to get fucale.

Anyone have an update on mayfield or pedan? How are they looking?

Old
01-04-2014, 12:49 PM
fnfelon

My son was telling me that he follows some Canadian Hockey writer on twitter and he was commenting on how some Edmonton fans were complaining that they should have taken Reinhart over Yakopov and now Edmonton should make up for the mistake by trying to trade for Reinhart. I thought that was rich.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
My son was telling me that he follows some Canadian Hockey writer on twitter and he was commenting on how some Edmonton fans were complaining that they should have taken Reinhart over Yakopov and now Edmonton should make up for the mistake by trying to trade for Reinhart. I thought that was rich.
He is EXACTLY what they need, but he is EXACTLY what we need too. We're keeping him.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:30 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
He is EXACTLY what they need, but he is EXACTLY what we need too. We're keeping him.
As much as I don't want to trade Reinhart since we can use a big body like him on the backend, I wouldn't think twice and trading him to Edmonton for Yakopov

Old
01-04-2014, 01:31 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
As much as I don't want to trade Reinhart since we can use a big body like him on the backend, I wouldn't think twice and trading him to Edmonton for Yakopov
I wouldn't. Yakupov has lost a lot of his luster and we have serious needs on the back end. As long as Vanek re-signs, we don't need another high end forward if it means shipping out Reinhart.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Trollmonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I wouldn't. Yakupov has lost a lot of his luster and we have serious needs on the back end. As long as Vanek re-signs, we don't need another high end forward if it means shipping out Reinhart.
Agreed. Our needs are from the net out. While our forwards are good to possibly great. Of course our coaching is minor league. But I digress.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:49 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfelon View Post
Everything I read leans towards fans, and other fans all wondering why the Oilers don't move one of their gifted forwards for immediate defensive help. I wouldn't move Hall, and I think Yak blew his value out of the water with the pissy boy rants this past year, but RNH? Eberle? They need to make a move. I rip our awful defense a new one each week, or each game, but the Oilers are the one team I think has a clearly worse blueline. They really need to make a move, or keep collecting high end picks, which no doubt they will use for the shiny new skilled forward under 6', 180 lbs. It is a snake eating its tail.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Jester9881

I would not trade Griff for Yakupov, and I wouldn't have to think too hard about it either.

Old
01-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Jester9881

High end defensemen just don't get traded too often, and when they do, they almost always come with a NMC/NTC. In todays NHL, if you want a top tier defenseman, you're going to have to draft and develop one. Especially if you're a bottom rung team.

Old
01-04-2014, 02:02 PM
fnfelon

I wouldn't trade Griffin Reinhart for Yakopov; I believe it is the sincerest form of flattery for Canadian fans watching their junior team play, and respecting the job Griffin is doing on the blue line for Canada. I can't wait until Griffin is doing that on the Isles blue line. By the way I do like Pelech and Pokka's play also. We do have some fine prospects on defense coming alone. The only problem I see is how long before they are all up and playing. That my Islander friends could be three or four years from now.

Old
01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
SI90

Long term too many questions with Yak. I would love him on the isles but not at th expense of the much needed and safer Reinhart.

Old
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Pokka is having a good WJCs. Is there any chance he makes an early leap to the NHL?

Old
01-04-2014, 02:42 PM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Pokka is having a good WJCs. Is there any chance he makes an early leap to the NHL?
Not sure about that. Is anyone else concerned about his feet? It looks to me that it takes him a while to get them really going and even then his speed isn't really threatening. He controls and passes the puck as well as anybody though.

Griff was in my opinion the best Canadian player in the semis...

Old
01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
DeanCrandall

What did Griff do today ? Had a good game vs Slovaks in quarters , yes. Today he laid an egg, along with whole defensive unit.

Old
01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Knowing the Isles, he's ticketed for Bridgeport and he probably needs a year there or more. Coming over to a new country, playing on the smaller ice, getting over his nerves during interviews, etc. He needs adjustment and development time.

Old
01-04-2014, 02:56 PM
kuwo

Quote:
What did Griff do today ? Had a good game vs Slovaks in quarters , yes. Today he laid an egg, along with whole defensive unit.

Well, he was able to make a clean outlet pass and carry the puck up ice, something his other teammates were not able to do. Most of the D-men, if not all of them, were rattled, he remained calm and poised. Not saying it was some mind-blowing performance, just that he was the best player in the red jersey. I think he was quite solid...

Old
01-04-2014, 03:38 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
That 3rd round is gonna haunt me, Macadam instead of Buchnevich and Cammarata instead of Duclair (32 goals in 38 games !!), Yakimov, Slepyshev and Bjorkstrand (28 goals in 37 games, from Frans Nielsen's hometown) could really come back to haunt us. Rangers wound up with Buchnevich AND Duclair in the 3rd round, dammit !! Islanders scouting and GM really need to learn how to draft in the 3rd and 4th rounds, some gems there. Stephon friggin Williams instead of Hudson Fasching in the 4th round is inexcusable.

I still have hope for Cammarata (you have to have hope), he does have impressive offensive skills, but man the guys we left on the board, geez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Rex, I respect your insight on our prospects. Cammarata might have been a HUGE mistake (pardon my pun), as was the whole 3rd and 4th round picks by the Isles. Add in we picked Pulock instead of Mantha and Zadorov, and this draft may come back to haunt us. Too early to worry about it yet, I have high hopes for Pulock, and will give Cammarata a chance. If we are talking about him not playing well and NOT making the US team at the WJC's next year, then I will say that was a terrible pick.
- There is no evidence that Zadorov is better than Pulock right now or will be in the future. This still is a toss up. Considering the alarming trend of Russians heading back to Russia once their development stalls (due to subsequent demotion), and the fact that dmen take forever to develop, I'm more than happy with Pulock. The fact that we picked him over Zadorov should never be implied as being a head-scratcher for many reasons.

- Being so over the top irrational about 3rd round picks and on is just that: irrational. We base our opinions on what ISS, McKeen's, THN, etc writes. If we had copies of scouting reports from 4 random NHL teams, our pre-draft opinions would be completely different. To criticize any team for taking players they like instead of the player ISS liked is dumb even when it's easy like with Fasching outplaying his draft position. Hindsight being 20/20, it is extremely irrational to blast such picks by a team who drafted Hamonic (reach in the 2nd round) and Trivino and Ness (late first rounders by most commercial guides).

What makes all of this OUTRAGE even more ironic is that by many experts' opinions, we have arguably a top 3 system in terms of prospects.

It's absolutely insane to think that we are going to get every pick right, and draft the best player in EVERY round. That doesn't happen. Ever. Time to stop thinking this way, you'll be disappointed. Furthermore, as great as you think some of these prospects are, they are still long shots! Most players that dominate lesser leagues do not make it in the league. So let's relax about late rounders. Isles have drafted well with their system, I refuse to lose my mind every time they don't draft the player ISS loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Long term I wish they somehow got a second back to get fucale.

Anyone have an update on mayfield or pedan? How are they looking?
Why? Fucale is not that good. He isn't even dominating at the junior level. One of the most overrated goalie prospects in a long time.

Old
01-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Not sure about that. Is anyone else concerned about his feet? It looks to me that it takes him a while to get them really going and even then his speed isn't really threatening. He controls and passes the puck as well as anybody though.

Griff was in my opinion the best Canadian player in the semis...
Never saw Pokka before until the last 2 games, heard in the past he was easy to get around, did not see any of that the last two games. He is very smart out there which helps.

Old
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
bluechipbonzo

Not sure if Griff was the best one, but had a solid if uninspiring game.

Great under pressure defensively, but wasn't able to elevate any sort of offensive game. He looks plodding out there, which is expected for such a big frame- but we have seen other large defensive prospects with much greater speed. His mobility in the defensive zone is good, and this is helped by his sound positioning and reach. Don't look to him to be able to lug (an apt adjective here) the puck up the NHL ice. He'll top out as a shut-down defender. I just don't see the offense translating to the next level if he wasn't able to stand out so at the WJHC...make no mistake though, he'll have a long career.

Old
01-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Jester9881

Not sure if this was posted.... cool interview with Sam, Griffin and Paul Reinhart.

http://whl.ca/video/index/id/16a1743...af38323de692c0

Old
01-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Not sure if Griff was the best one, but had a solid if uninspiring game.

Great under pressure defensively, but wasn't able to elevate any sort of offensive game. He looks plodding out there, which is expected for such a big frame- but we have seen other large defensive prospects with much greater speed. His mobility in the defensive zone is good, and this is helped by his sound positioning and reach. Don't look to him to be able to lug (an apt adjective here) the puck up the NHL ice. He'll top out as a shut-down defender. I just don't see the offense translating to the next level if he wasn't able to stand out so at the WJHC...make no mistake though, he'll have a long career.
Not really worried about the offensive game as long as he is rock solid in his own end. He had one nice rush today but his pass was broken up. Islanders desperately need a shut down d-man and from what ive seen he has the potential to be that.

Old
01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Degeneration Rex

January 4
Plymouth 4, Niagara 3 (SO)-VCR, - 1.
Brandon 4, Regina 3 (OT)-Pulock, 1 assist in OT, even, Burroughs, - 1.
Harvard 7, BU 4-Somerby, - 3.
Minnesota 6, RPI 2-Cammarata, 1 assist, even, Bischoff, even.
BC 4, Notre Dame 3-Russo, 1 assist, even.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-04-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old
01-04-2014, 09:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
January 4
Plymouth 4, Niagara 3 (SO)-VCR, - 1.
Harvard 7, BU 4-Somerby, - 3.
Notre Dame vs Boston College, game on NBC Sports Network from Fenway Park.
More later
Don't know if VCR misses Hartman, but it seems like he hasn't scored a point in like 30 games.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:00 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
- There is no evidence that Zadorov is better than Pulock right now or will be in the future. This still is a toss up. Considering the alarming trend of Russians heading back to Russia once their development stalls (due to subsequent demotion), and the fact that dmen take forever to develop, I'm more than happy with Pulock. The fact that we picked him over Zadorov should never be implied as being a head-scratcher for many reasons.

- Being so over the top irrational about 3rd round picks and on is just that: irrational. We base our opinions on what ISS, McKeen's, THN, etc writes. If we had copies of scouting reports from 4 random NHL teams, our pre-draft opinions would be completely different. To criticize any team for taking players they like instead of the player ISS liked is dumb even when it's easy like with Fasching outplaying his draft position. Hindsight being 20/20, it is extremely irrational to blast such picks by a team who drafted Hamonic (reach in the 2nd round) and Trivino and Ness (late first rounders by most commercial guides).

What makes all of this OUTRAGE even more ironic is that by many experts' opinions, we have arguably a top 3 system in terms of prospects.

It's absolutely insane to think that we are going to get every pick right, and draft the best player in EVERY round. That doesn't happen. Ever. Time to stop thinking this way, you'll be disappointed. Furthermore, as great as you think some of these prospects are, they are still long shots! Most players that dominate lesser leagues do not make it in the league. So let's relax about late rounders. Isles have drafted well with their system, I refuse to lose my mind every time they don't draft the player ISS loved.

Why? Fucale is not that good. He isn't even dominating at the junior level. One of the most overrated goalie prospects in a long time.
I appreciate the comments, and do admit I go overboard sometimes, but, to just dismiss the 3rd or 4th rounds as not important rounds is just as asinine as getting upset about some of those picks. Those are the rounds where you find guys who have great talent but are still available. Some of these wind up being important parts of Stanley Cup winning teams, some become Hall Of Famers, for instance, Patrick Roy was picked in the 3rd round. I'm sure I can come up with dozens of very good to great 3rd and 4th round picks. So when the Isles waste picks on guys like Loic Leduc and Stephon Williams in the 4th round, when there are more talented players available, AND, most likely these 2 guys would most likely be there in the 6th round, then yeah, I get a bit upset. When they waste a third round pick on a guy like Eamon Macadam, who has never dominated as a goalie anywhere, and a guy like Taylor Cammarata who has such a long shot of making it, yet I personally see the guys who were passed up for these two, I get a bit upset.

When a franchise, who has made the playoffs 3 times in the last 20 years spends ALL 7 picks on ONE position, yeah I get upset. Snow and crew seem like they think they are outsmarting the NHL, yet they seem to only be outsmarting themselves. You say we have a top 3 prospects group, and yeah Snow and co have restocked the cubbard, but despite having lottery picks year after year, the results are mixed. Tavares and Strome seem to be the only elite players/prospects out of ALL of those picks. Reinhart should be a safe shutdown Dman. And that's about it. The rest of the world thinks so highly of our prospects that only Canada and Finland took some of our kids to the WJC.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Tavares and Strome seem to be the only elite players/prospects out of ALL of those picks.
I heavily disagree with that. I've always had Nelson rated higher than Strome, and Lee is up there as well (though lower than Strome). Reinhart and Pulock are very good defense prospects. How many teams even have one elite prospect? How many have more than three really good ones? We're in real good shape in that dept.... a couple hicups, sure... but every team goes through those things.

Quote:
Reinhart should be a safe shutdown Dman. And that's about it. The rest of the world thinks so highly of our prospects that only Canada and Finland took some of our kids to the WJC.
Pelech is going to be a good shut down guy as well, in the mold of Hamonic.

As for WJC selections.... we have no one of age in Russia nor Sweden or CZE. The only real omissions were from the US... and Pulock for whatever reason. When you think about it, almost all our prospects are from N.A other than Pokka and a few guys that are too old to play in that tourney.

Closed Thread