HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Prospect Talk PART IX

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 11:19 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Watched the Prospects Game last night, first look at Dal Colle who scored on a nasty wrister.
Looks like some of the mid season ratings have come out except Bob McKenzie's, his come out next Thursday. Always like his because of the scouts he polls.
Interesting that each one has a different top rated player.
Central Scouting-Bennett
Craig Button-Reinhart
ISS-Ekblad
The Hockey News-Draisaitl
Dal Colle has got some skills, but doesn't he look kind of helter skelter out there? Really high effort skating stride with arms flailing, he's kind of a whirling dervish at times. You can see why the kid can score goals though. He needs time to fill out and improve his skating.

Reinhart stood out to me. He's very smart and makes all the subtle little plays that you might not notice. He's very JT-like in that he likes to slow things down and he does a nice job using his linemates well. Doesn't wow you, but he's really solid. I'm not sure if he'll ever be an elite player, but he's just really well rounded.

Ekblad was solid, but we all knew that about him.

Hadyn Fleury was interesting, really nice skater. He's not as polished as Ekblad, but he's got some really nice tools. He needs time to get stronger and refine his game, but he looks pretty good to me. His size and reach help him a lot.

Draisaitl was only noticeable when he was turning over the puck. Very weak game and as the highest rated player in the game, I was very underwhelmed. He's listed at 6'1 210ish, he looks lankier than that listed size. Dal Colle looks like he has a very similar frame and posture on the ice minus 15 pounds.

Nick Ritchie intrigues the hell out of me. He's big, 6'2 220+ and he's a really good skater which really surprised me. Speed, burst, power - it's all there for a power forward. He's nasty and isn't shy about making his presence felt yet has the skill to be a 30 goal scorer. Made some nice subtle offensive passes/plays to help generate offense for his line. Consistency is said to be an issue, but his guy could be the highest impact forward in the draft when it's all said and done. He could be swift skating Lucic.

Perlini didn't stand out much, but his grandfather passed away on Friday so he had a heavy heart. Listed at 6'3 205, he looked slim to me. Ritchie was a tank and it was obvious, but Perlini looked more like a sleek sports car. The kid can motor, but was a little off in his stick skills. I think he's been compared to Jeff Carter by some, I did kind of see that with the package of tools.

It was interesting to watch. This year's draft is considered to be a weak one and you can kind of see that. Of the top guys, no one screamed star potential. Ritchie intrigues the heck out of me. He has all the tools to be a dominant PF, a true PF. He hits, he fights, he scores, and could be an all around badass!

Old
01-16-2014, 11:45 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

I forgot to mention Virtanen and Ho-Sang as they stood out. Virtanen couldn't finish off his chances, but he looked quite good. RH shot who can really skate and is physical. He was backchecking hard too and created a bunch of chances for himself with his skating. He's another PF prospect, but I liked Ritchie better.

Ho-Sang - damn, the kid is slick. SLICK! He is the ultimate boom or bust guy.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Dal Colle has got some skills, but doesn't he look kind of helter skelter out there? Really high effort skating stride with arms flailing, he's kind of a whirling dervish at times. You can see why the kid can score goals though. He needs time to fill out and improve his skating.

Reinhart stood out to me. He's very smart and makes all the subtle little plays that you might not notice. He's very JT-like in that he likes to slow things down and he does a nice job using his linemates well. Doesn't wow you, but he's really solid. I'm not sure if he'll ever be an elite player, but he's just really well rounded.

Hadyn Fleury was interesting, really nice skater. He's not as polished as Ekblad, but he's got some really nice tools. He needs time to get stronger and refine his game, but he looks pretty good to me. His size and reach help him a lot.

Draisaitl was only noticeable when he was turning over the puck. Very weak game and as the highest rated player in the game, I was very underwhelmed. He's listed at 6'1 210ish, he looks lankier than that listed size. Dal Colle looks like he has a very similar frame and posture on the ice minus 15 pounds.

Nick Ritchie intrigues the hell out of me. He's big, 6'2 220+ and he's a really good skater which really surprised me. Speed, burst, power - it's all there for a power forward. He's nasty and isn't shy about making his presence felt yet has the skill to be a 30 goal scorer. Made some nice subtle offensive passes/plays to help generate offense for his line. Consistency is said to be an issue, but his guy could be the highest impact forward in the draft when it's all said and done. He could be swift skating Lucic.

Perlini didn't stand out much, but his grandfather passed away on Friday so he had a heavy heart. Listed at 6'3 205, he looked slim to me. Ritchie was a tank and it was obvious, but Perlini looked more like a sleek sports car. The kid can motor, but was a little off in his stick skills. I think he's been compared to Jeff Carter by some, I did kind of see that with the package of tools.

It was interesting to watch. This year's draft is considered to be a weak one and you can kind of see that. Of the top guys, no one screamed star potential. Ritchie intrigues the heck out of me. He has all the tools to be a dominant PF, a true PF. He hits, he fights, he scores, and could be an all around badass!
Trying to figure out how low the Islanders should pick before waiting until 2015, at least as of right now if the pick is higher that 7, I would defer. Would be very comfortable with Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett, then there is the next group of 4. Also not factoring any one from Europe here like Nylander for example. Have to see what happens after the season and the lottery, too early to tell.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:58 AM
BTrotts19

Quote:

I think the Isles would be well suited to keep the pick if we are in the 6-8 range and get a crack at Ritchie. Sounds like the Lucic type every teams wants/needs. I haven't seen him play but everything I have read makes it sound like a very good blend of skill and snarl and someone every mentioned that it is possible for him to possible be NHL ready immediately. Like I said, haven't seen him but that is very intruiging.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
scott99

Quote:

Great stuff PW, really appreciate the insight and scouting you do. I'm gonna watch the game tonight (I hope). The game was supposed to come on at 10pm eastern on The NHL Network last night, set the DVR, but had to go to sleep due to having to go to work early.

Very disappointed to hear about Draisatl, I guess he's the next Niederreiter (highly scouted and over analyzed). I have my eyes on Perlini and Ritchie if we draft top 10 (I'm hoping not). Perlini reminds me of Mantha (without the ridiculous sniper's hands), whenever a guy can skate AND score and is 6'3" +, that always intrigues me. Ritchie, I'm excited about as well, is he any relation to the Ricthie that Strome played with in Niagra ? That guy was 6'4" and a sniper.

Last edited by scott99: 01-16-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old
01-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Great stuff PW, really appreciate the insight and scouting you do. I'm gonna watch the game tonight (I hope). The game was supposed to come on at 10pm eastern on The NHL Network last night, set the DVR, but had to go to sleep due to having to go to work early.

Very disappointed to hear about Draisatl, I guess he's the next Niederreiter (highly scouted and over analyzed). I have my eyes on Perlini and Ritchie if we draft top 10 (I'm hoping not). Perlini reminds me of Mantha (without the ridiculous sniper's hands), whenever a guy can skate AND score and is 6'3" +, that always intrigues me. Ritchie, I'm excited about as well, is he any relation to the Ricthie that Strome played with in Niagra ? That guy was 6'4" and a sniper.
They are brothers Scott.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:12 PM
scott99

Quote:
I forgot to mention Virtanen and Ho-Sang as they stood out. Virtanen couldn't finish off his chances, but he looked quite good. RH shot who can really skate and is physical. He was backchecking hard too and created a bunch of chances for himself with his skating. He's another PF prospect, but I liked Ritchie better.

Ho-Sang, they've been talking about this kid for years, nice to hear he's still relavant and still talented enough to play against the best.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:15 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:

Nick Ritchie is the younger brother of Brett Ritchie so there is a Strome connection there. Perlini and Strome were teammates and described as good friends... Strome was the Captain last year with Perlini on the team. Plus, Perlini was originally a Barrie Colt who was traded to Niagara - just like Strome.

Ritchie and Perlini should be available in the bottom half of the top-10 so they are certainly in possible range for us. We are loaded at center and defense, we could use a big time winger. Jake Virtanen was also pretty impressive, but I think he's ranked a little later.

One guy I'm very interested in is Blake Clarke. He scored last night and I noticed that he's a really good skater with pretty good size. He's had a terrible year so far and was traded to Saginaw. He was being considered for the preseason top-10 and fell off the rankings big. He's got too much talent and potential to fall out of the 1st IMO, but if we could get this guy in the 2nd - I think he would be a steal.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:22 PM
SI90

Anyone think we will draft another goalie at some point? I have my doubts but I would love to have a shot at Demko.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:

I wouldn't call it scouting, just my thoughts.

When you watch the game Scott, focus on Ritchie (#20 Red Jersey) and let me know what you think. He's become the guy I want the most with us having a realistic chance of getting.

There was a play late in the 3rd with Ritchie's line battling for possession in the right corner of the offensive zone. The puck was reversed and Ritchie went behind the net, took two strides, and rubbed out the opposing player in a blink of an eye along the left half boards. He covered that distance so fast and with such burst, I thought the TV feed was a little wacky for a second. It was like watching Matt Martin at work with a rocket pack on. I only saw that play for like a couple of seconds, but was my most lasting impression of Ritchie and I'm still thinking about it. I hope I wasn't seeing things because it was kind of late and I was tired.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Ho-Sang, they've been talking about this kid for years, nice to hear he's still relavant and still talented enough to play against the best.
This kid gets my attention. Consistency has been his biggest knock. Reminds me of Phil the thrill. Can absolutely steal the show if he wants. However, there is just a lack of a motor.

My buddy likened his skill set to Strome. A little on the smaller side but the righty shot is something I really like.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
I wouldn't call it scouting, just my thoughts.

When you watch the game Scott, focus on Ritchie (#20 Red Jersey) and let me know what you think. He's become the guy I want the most with us having a realistic chance of getting.

There was a play late in the 3rd with Ritchie's line battling for possession in the right corner of the offensive zone. The puck was reversed and Ritchie went behind the net, took two strides, and rubbed out the opposing player in a blink of an eye along the left half boards. He covered that distance so fast and with such burst, I thought the TV feed was a little wacky for a second. It was like watching Matt Martin at work with a rocket pack on. I only saw that play for like a couple of seconds, but was my most lasting impression of Ritchie and I'm still thinking about it. I hope I wasn't seeing things because it was kind of late and I was tired.
Every time I've seen Ritchie, he's left me wanting. It doesn't help that in those games, his Petes have been outscored something like 29-5 by the Frontenacs, so in general his entire team has been absolutely lousy. However, for a big guy with such a great package of abilities, he just kind of moves around out there without much purpose.

Obviously it's a small sample size. But if I were to base his ability solely on those 5 or 6 games against the Frontenacs, I'd come away wondering what the hype was all about. He was a big guy who hits hard (when he decided to hit, which was infrequently), but who didn't seem to do much with the puck.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:45 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Every time I've seen Ritchie, he's left me wanting. It doesn't help that in those games, his Petes have been outscored something like 29-5 by the Frontenacs, so in general his entire team has been absolutely lousy. However, for a big guy with such a great package of abilities, he just kind of moves around out there without much purpose.

Obviously it's a small sample size. But if I were to base his ability solely on those 5 or 6 games against the Frontenacs, I'd come away wondering what the hype was all about. He was a big guy who hits hard (when he decided to hit, which was infrequently), but who didn't seem to do much with the puck.
Yeah, it is hard to tell anything from 1 game. It's the first time seeing him for me and I was dazzled by the package. I thought he had a pretty solid game overall though.

It's too bad Bennett was hurt, I wanted to see him. I respect your opinion STK and you rave about the kid.

What were your observations of the game?

Old
01-16-2014, 12:55 PM
scott99

Quote:
They are brothers Scott.
Thanks Rex, if he can develop into a BIG goal scoring Power Forward like his brother, I'd be thrilled to get him.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

Quote:
Yeah, it is hard to tell anything from 1 game. It's the first time seeing him for me and I was dazzled by the package. I thought he had a pretty solid game overall though.

It's too bad Bennett was hurt, I wanted to see him. I respect your opinion STK and you rave about the kid.

What were your observations of the game?
It might sound sacrilegious, but I didn't watch it. Pens were playing the Caps, and then CSI was on.

Re: Bennett. I just think his upside is tremendous. He's got everything you want in a pro player: great skater, great acceleration, pro caliber shot/release, gritty game, physical, and already defensively strong at 17 years old.

I see him kind of like Tyler Seguin and his rise in his draft year. Seguin wasn't touted as a potential 1st overall pick until his draft year, sort of rocketing up the charts on the strength of a strong finish to his 16 year old season and a tremendous start to his 17 year old draft season. Bennett's sort of the same. Before this year, he was kind of thought of as a first round pick, but not necessarily a top 5 or top 3 pick. But his play this year, not to mention the improvement in his explosiveness, has really caught the scouts' notice.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
scott99

Quote:
It might sound sacrilegious, but I didn't watch it. Pens were playing the Caps, and then CSI was on.

Re: Bennett. I just think his upside is tremendous. He's got everything you want in a pro player: great skater, great acceleration, pro caliber shot/release, gritty game, physical, and already defensively strong at 17 years old.

I see him kind of like Tyler Seguin and his rise in his draft year. Seguin wasn't touted as a potential 1st overall pick until his draft year, sort of rocketing up the charts on the strength of a strong finish to his 16 year old season and a tremendous start to his 17 year old draft season. Bennett's sort of the same. Before this year, he was kind of thought of as a first round pick, but not necessarily a top 5 or top 3 pick. But his play this year, not to mention the improvement in his explosiveness, has really caught the scouts' notice.
STK, does he give you a Matt Duchene type of vibe ? When I watch him play (highlights) that's whom I'm reminded of.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

Quote:
STK, does he give you a Matt Duchene type of vibe ? When I watch him play (highlights) that's whom I'm reminded of.
Bennett? There are some similarities, but he's not really the guy I think of when I watch Bennett play. Duchene's more about explosive skating and being a threat because of his speed/hands. Whereas Bennett, while having speed and certainly blowing past defensemen on a regular basis, is a bit more cerebral in how he attacks the offensive zone. I think Bennett's vision and awareness of the offensive zone is better than Duchene's. I also think Bennett's got a better scoring touch. Duchene's got a wicked shot, but his accuracy/aim still seems to elude him, whereas Bennett scores goals by picking those corners consistently.

He's also more physical. He's not Matt Martin out there, obviously. But he's more Mike Richards-like in terms of playing a gritty physical game and throwing a big check here and then. When he's playing that physical style, Bennett's kind of like a faster, more skilled version of Mike Richards.

Coming into the season, I liked the Doug Gilmour comparison the best. But this season, Bennett's showed me a much better scoring touch than I thought he had. At the same time, he seems to be passing less and taking it upon himself to assume the shooter role (with Ikonen playing more the passer) for his line. Gilmour tended to be more of a playmaker at the NHL level, whereas I actually think Bennett can be a hybrid type where he's as dangerous as a scorer as a playmaker depending on who his linemates are.

Note: keep in mind I'm talking upside here, and also comparing them at the same age. It may sound like I'm saying Bennett today is a better player than Duchene today, so I'm clarifying that I'm talking about Bennett's game at 17 years old compared to a draft year Duchene.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Anyone think we will draft another goalie at some point? I have my doubts but I would love to have a shot at Demko.
This could like last year's draft when no goalies were taken in the first round, the goalie on Plymouth, Alex Nedeljkovic, Ed Minney (USHL) and Ville Husso (Finland) might be good second round candidates along with Demko. The goalies Snow took last year, Williams has been terrible and McAdam has played so little. Might be a good idea to try and draft a better goalie prospect. Depends who is left on the board at the time of course.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old
01-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:

I have a friend who is like me is a geologist-teacher who lives in Calgary and is a season ticket holder for the Hitmen. He sees Virtanen all the time (he was probably at the game last night, just sent him an email) and says his physical skills are awesome but his hockey sense is below average so would be leery of him.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:56 AM
scott99

Quote:
Bennett? There are some similarities, but he's not really the guy I think of when I watch Bennett play. Duchene's more about explosive skating and being a threat because of his speed/hands. Whereas Bennett, while having speed and certainly blowing past defensemen on a regular basis, is a bit more cerebral in how he attacks the offensive zone. I think Bennett's vision and awareness of the offensive zone is better than Duchene's. I also think Bennett's got a better scoring touch. Duchene's got a wicked shot, but his accuracy/aim still seems to elude him, whereas Bennett scores goals by picking those corners consistently.

He's also more physical. He's not Matt Martin out there, obviously. But he's more Mike Richards-like in terms of playing a gritty physical game and throwing a big check here and then. When he's playing that physical style, Bennett's kind of like a faster, more skilled version of Mike Richards.

Coming into the season, I liked the Doug Gilmour comparison the best. But this season, Bennett's showed me a much better scoring touch than I thought he had. At the same time, he seems to be passing less and taking it upon himself to assume the shooter role (with Ikonen playing more the passer) for his line. Gilmour tended to be more of a playmaker at the NHL level, whereas I actually think Bennett can be a hybrid type where he's as dangerous as a scorer as a playmaker depending on who his linemates are.

Note: keep in mind I'm talking upside here, and also comparing them at the same age. It may sound like I'm saying Bennett today is a better player than Duchene today, so I'm clarifying that I'm talking about Bennett's game at 17 years old compared to a draft year Duchene.
Thanks STK, Bennett sounds like an awesome all around player.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Degeneration Rex

College hockey tonight on Big Ten Network, 9 PM
Ohio State at Minnesota, outdoor game at Minnesota's football stadium.

Also, Lake Superior State at Notre Dame, 8 PM, NBC Sports Network.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:56 AM
scott99

Quote:
College hockey tonight on Big Ten Network, 9 PM
Ohio State at Minnesota, outdoor game at Minnesota's football stadium.

Also, Lake Superior State at Notre Dame, 8 PM, NBC Sports Network.
Thanks Rex, gonna watch that and watch the Prospects game that I dvr'ed.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Thanks Rex, gonna watch that and watch the Prospects game that I dvr'ed.
It will give a first look at some of the Prospects who we didn't see at the World Junior, guys like Dal Colle, Perlini, Ritchie, ect. Too bad Bennett is hurt but STK has seen him and posted above.

Old
01-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Jester9881
FIRE SNOW

Big fan of Ritchie..... there's a high bust factor there though. Some nights he looks like Lucic.... some nights he looks like Brad Isbister. Very boom-bust type guy IMO. I could see him falling into the mid-late 20's.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:06 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Big fan of Ritchie..... there's a high bust factor there though. Some nights he looks like Lucic.... some nights he looks like Brad Isbister. Very boom-bust type guy IMO. I could see him falling into the mid-late 20's.
His older brother was like a Moulson to Strome's Tavares when they played together in juniors. Maybe Strome and Ritchie version II can be magic as well.

Closed Thread