HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART IX

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 08:51 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think Pulock will benefit a great deal from a full season+ of AHL time. If all goes to plan, I'm really looking forward to a Pulock vs Pokka battle in TC of '15. The year after Vis' contract expires, when both of these guys will have a full year of AHL experience.

The D is gradually coming together. de Haan establishing himself this year. Most likely Reinhart next year, and Pokka/Pulock the year after. If we can finally lure in a quality UFA netminder, we could be a difficult team to score on in the very near future.
Regarding the bolded, I have to think this is the plan barring no trades occur between now and then. By 2015, I expect Donovan to be the #1 offensive defenseman on the roster and the PP QB with Pulock/Pokka challenging for the role Donovan has played this year.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
All of today's games final, please check post 697 for scores and stats.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-18-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old
01-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of junior games, but, when I have seen Ritchie, I always thought of Zack Kassian as a comparable. I think their stats are similar, too. Is there any truth to that comparison?
This is just based on limited viewings and, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, those viewings so happened to coincide with Ritchie's Petes being absolutely manhandled by the Frontenacs over a 4 game stretch, as well as a couple of games the Petes lost. So Ritchie, like his entire team, was hardly at his best.

Having said that, based on what I've seen of both Ritchie and Kassian when Kassian was still in the OHL, their skill level is quite similar. Except I'd say Ritchie's shown more of a natural goal scoring touch at the same age, while Kassian seemed to have an edge as a playmaker. Also, Kassian, to me anyways, seemed to play mean and nasty more often than Ritchie. Ritchie can be physical and will fight, but none of the games I saw made me think he's a mean SOB (in a good way). Kassian, by comparison, was a nasty piece of work who was just as likely to take your head off with a flying elbow as he was to dangle around you.

Old
01-18-2014, 05:08 AM
crashthenet

What do we have for picks?

Old
01-18-2014, 06:22 AM
bioman22

http://www.prosportstransactions.com.../Islanders.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
What do we have for picks?

Old
01-18-2014, 07:57 AM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This is just based on limited viewings and, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, those viewings so happened to coincide with Ritchie's Petes being absolutely manhandled by the Frontenacs over a 4 game stretch, as well as a couple of games the Petes lost. So Ritchie, like his entire team, was hardly at his best.

Having said that, based on what I've seen of both Ritchie and Kassian when Kassian was still in the OHL, their skill level is quite similar. Except I'd say Ritchie's shown more of a natural goal scoring touch at the same age, while Kassian seemed to have an edge as a playmaker. Also, Kassian, to me anyways, seemed to play mean and nasty more often than Ritchie. Ritchie can be physical and will fight, but none of the games I saw made me think he's a mean SOB (in a good way). Kassian, by comparison, was a nasty piece of work who was just as likely to take your head off with a flying elbow as he was to dangle around you.
Thanks for the response, STK!

Old
01-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Degeneration Rex

Today in Finland,Ville Pokka with 2 goals as Karpat beat Jokerit 5-2.

Old
01-18-2014, 11:38 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Today in Finland,Ville Pokka with 2 goals as Karpat beat Jokerit 5-2.
Yeah he played a great game. 21:52 time on the ice and was chosen best player of the game. Both goals came on the powerplay. 1st one was one timer from the blueline and the other one was wrist shot after he kept the puck in the zone with his glove.

One of the best games he has played this year.

Old
01-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
Yeah he played a great game. 21:52 time on the ice and was chosen best player of the game. Both goals came on the powerplay. 1st one was one timer from the blueline and the other one was wrist shot after he kept the puck in the zone with his glove.

One of the best games he has played this year.
Saw him play for the first time on TV in the World Junior, he played great, as did Finland in the medal round and a well deserved gold medal. Thanks for the report.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-18-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old
01-18-2014, 12:39 PM
YashinWorksHard

BTW, only 3 points in the last 13 games for VCR.

Old
01-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Degeneration Rex

January 18
Windsor 6, Plymouth 2-VCR, - 1.
Guelph 1, Erie 0-Pelech, - 1.
Saginaw 4, Sudbury 3-Graham, 1 goal (7), + 1.
Edmonton 7, Prince George 6 (SO)-Reinhart, even. Note-Edmonton trailed 6-2 entering third period.
Regina 4, Prince Albert 2-Burroughs, even.
Regina 4, Saskatoon 3-Pulock, 1 assist, - 1.

UMass-Lowell 3, BU 1-Somerby, - 1.
Minnesota 4, Ohio State 2-Bischoff, + 1, Cammarata, - 1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-18-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old
01-21-2014, 09:08 AM
frankieboy

I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet, but Robbie Russo was ruled ineligible for hockey this spring due to grades. If he is out this spring, would he be a good guy to bring to Bridgeport? He's a junior, I believe. My original feeling was that he could use some more seasoning in college, but, what do we do with him if he can't play hockey this spring?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...lly-ineligible

Old
01-21-2014, 09:18 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet, but Robbie Russo was ruled ineligible for hockey this spring due to grades. If he is out this spring, would he be a good guy to bring to Bridgeport? He's a junior, I believe. My original feeling was that he could use some more seasoning in college, but, what do we do with him if he can't play hockey this spring?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...lly-ineligible
This really is a disgace. I mean really, you get a free ride to college, to better your education and have a better chance in life in getting a great job, college opens up so many doors for people, you have to concentrate on school, that is your job. Know how many people would kill for a free ride to college ?

He was having a nice season too. But he's a long shot, too many D Prospects ahead of him already.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:20 AM
BTrotts19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
This really is a disgace. I mean really, you get a free ride to college, to better your education and have a better chance in life in getting a great job, college opens up so many doors for people, you have to concentrate on school, that is your job. Know how many people would kill for a free ride to college ?

He was having a nice season too. But he's a long shot, too many D Prospects ahead of him already.
Wonder if he has any value via trade? Think we could get a 2nd or 3rd for him?

Old
01-21-2014, 09:26 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrotts19 View Post
Wonder if he has any value via trade? Think we could get a 2nd or 3rd for him?
Not unless we throw in a 2nd or 3rd too . . .

Why would anyone want to trade for a kid who can't be bothered to pass his classes?

If he has even half a brain he gets his grades in order and returns for his senior year. If . . .

Old
01-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Whoa. He was at Notre Dame, which is a pretty demanding school. It's obviously not a great outcome for him, but he's a kid.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:47 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Whoa. He was at Notre Dame, which is a pretty demanding school. It's obviously not a great outcome for him, but he's a kid.
Sorry Dan, but here are the facts for ND athletes:

http://www.und.com/genrel/102413aaa.html

Based on this excerpt:

Among Notre Dame's men's sports, baseball, basketball, cross country/track, fencing, golf, hockey, soccer, swimming/diving and tennis achieved 100 percent GSR scores.

He is the ONLY hockey player to have this happen. When 20 of 22 sports have 100% success rates it's on him, not the toughness of the school.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:06 AM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Sorry Dan, but here are the facts for ND athletes:

http://www.und.com/genrel/102413aaa.html

Based on this excerpt:

Among Notre Dame's men's sports, baseball, basketball, cross country/track, fencing, golf, hockey, soccer, swimming/diving and tennis achieved 100 percent GSR scores.

He is the ONLY hockey player to have this happen. When 20 of 22 sports have 100% success rates it's on him, not the toughness of the school.
Are you really trying to say Notre Dame is not an academically challenging school?

They recruit phenomenal students as well as athletes because they want every student eligible to play. It reflects well on their university.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Metnut

ND's starting QB, Everett Golson, missed the entire season this year because of an academic issue. ND's best basketball player, Jerian Grant, is missing the second half of this season because of an academic issue. ND's top receiver, (don't recall his name), is suspended for the spring semester because of an academic issue.

This issue isn't unique to Russo, in fact, it's been a trend in ND athletics lately.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Darth Milbury

I am on a grad admissions committee at a major university. I review transcripts from ND every year. They rarely give low grades at that school. Essentially, you have to be blowing off class or something extreme of that nature.

If he failed a class there, it is not because the school is tough.

There may be a crackdown on student athletes but my guess is that Russo just wasn't showing up.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Metnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I am on a grad admissions committee at a major university. I review transcripts from ND every year. They rarely give low grades at that school. Essentially, you have to be blowing off class or something extreme of that nature.

If he failed a class there, it is not because the school is tough.

There may be a crackdown on student athletes but my guess is that Russo just wasn't showing up.
I'm an ND alum, and from the information I saw, the median GPA at ND was lower than at equivalently ranked schools in the USNews rankings. Also, ND doesn't have special majors for athletes, so unlike other schools, the athletes at ND are taking many of the same classes as the student body. There's a possibility that the students who do bad in undergrad simply don't apply as often to grad school and that's why you are seeing mostly stellar transcripts.

Anyway, no more ND stuff from me. It sucks that Russo had an academic issue, but this has been happening a bit at ND lately. I wouldn't mind giving him some AHL time if he isn't going to be at ND for the rest of this year.

Old
01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Are you really trying to say Notre Dame is not an academically challenging school?

They recruit phenomenal students as well as athletes because they want every student eligible to play. It reflects well on their university.
If you take a challenging curriculum pretty much ANY school is academically challenging. If this is an academically challenging school issue why is he and the two others called out in this thread pretty much the only ones you can name? Because the other 99% take their schooling seriously! Or has ND starting to lower its' standards on its' recruits the last few years for competitive reasons? According to the link I provided ND is 2nd in the nation in graduation rate across ALL sports.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:10 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Watching BU vs. BC. Somersby is freaking huge and had a really good 1st period. He's learning to use his size, a project worth keeping an eye on.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Watching BU vs. BC. Somersby is freaking huge and had a really good 1st period. He's learning to use his size, a project worth keeping an eye on.
Saw hi once on TV earlier in the season, big boy..

Old
01-21-2014, 03:21 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Good to hear. We need to get bigger on D.

Closed Thread