HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART IX

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2013, 12:59 PM
BelovedIsles

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Pulock's in-game plays almost look like those glorified season highlight montages; he always seems to be creating something on both ends of the rink (yes, that a product of the highlights selected). Shout out to Informthemasses, thanks for doing the informing!

Old
11-14-2013, 01:43 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Pulock's in-game plays almost look like those glorified season highlight montages; he always seems to be creating something on both ends of the rink (yes, that a product of the highlights selected). Shout out to Informthemasses, thanks for doing the informing!
He's the most exciting offensive defenseman prospect we've had since Bryan Berard (who won rookie of the year in 1997).

Here's a predraft special showing Berard and Redden (who we picked and later traded for Berard).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpfspBPAFII

What a skater Berard was !

Last edited by scott99: 11-14-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old
11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Thanks Rex, I think I'll watch that one. Stephon Williams gives up 5 goals to Camarrata and loses 7-2.
Lol

Sad thing is its not even out of the question or far fetched

Old
11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Frankie41987

I was wondering the same thing about Pulock's skating. I keep hearing that his skating is something he needs to work on but every time I watch him he seems fairly quick and agile. He moves the puck quick, can enter the zone etc. Does anyone have any comment as to what is meant by "sub-par skating ability"? Is it a particular aspect like lateral movement or something like that?

Old
11-14-2013, 03:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
I was wondering the same thing about Pulock's skating. I keep hearing that his skating is something he needs to work on but every time I watch him he seems fairly quick and agile. He moves the puck quick, can enter the zone etc. Does anyone have any comment as to what is meant by "sub-par skating ability"? Is it a particular aspect like lateral movement or something like that?
If you watch the small snippet of Berard, now that was a guy who could motor. His speed was definitely above average. Including laterally. Pulock doesn't seem as explosive skating wise, BUT, he certainly seems to be skating by a lot of players to enter the zone, maybe he has some moves that fake guys out, but it seems so smooth and effortless the way he skates. He reminds me of Drew Doughty, though Doughty seems to be faster. BUT, there is a video of Pulock where he comes in 1 on 3 and skates through everyone to score. Then there is a Doughty video, pre draft, and he does the same exact thing.

Old
11-14-2013, 03:48 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I remember guys like Wayne McBean and Bryan Fogarty tearing it up in juniors, but never had that same success in the NHL. That being said, the small sample of what I saw of Pulock in NHL preseason games, he seemed to have no problem keeping up with NHL skaters. In fact, I saw a big difference between his first NHL preseason game and his last. Time will tell, he's playing very well so far this year. Btw, I loved the hit as much as the goal
I think the most impressive thing about Pulock beyond his offensive upside is despite not being overly tall for NHL standards(I believe he is like 6 feet) the guy is built like a brickhouse, that should definitely help him at the NHL level

Old
11-14-2013, 04:22 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
If you watch the small snippet of Berard, now that was a guy who could motor. His speed was definitely above average. Including laterally. Pulock doesn't seem as explosive skating wise, BUT, he certainly seems to be skating by a lot of players to enter the zone, maybe he has some moves that fake guys out, but it seems so smooth and effortless the way he skates. He reminds me of Drew Doughty, though Doughty seems to be faster. BUT, there is a video of Pulock where he comes in 1 on 3 and skates through everyone to score. Then there is a Doughty video, pre draft, and he does the same exact thing.
I didn't want to be the first to bring it up, thanks Scott...

Doughty is who I think of everytime I see Pulock....

Old
11-14-2013, 04:24 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I didn't want to be the first to bring it up, thanks Scott...

Doughty is who I think of everytime I see Pulock....
I'll post the videos I was talking about, and you'll see the plays where they each skate through 1 on 3's to score. amazing.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:25 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I think the most impressive thing about Pulock beyond his offensive upside is despite not being overly tall for NHL standards(I believe he is like 6 feet) the guy is built like a brickhouse, that should definitely help him at the NHL level
Hes a tank, a true definition of a man child...

He was 6'1 215lbs as an 18 year old...thats absurd..

Old
11-14-2013, 07:05 PM
steveat

yeah..the biggest adjustment is size and this kid has it...He doesn't have to learn how to play with his new size. I really hope the isles bring this guy in asap. I think as far as readiness is concerned, he is more ready than reinhart and almost as ready as strome.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:03 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
yeah..the biggest adjustment is size and this kid has it...He doesn't have to learn how to play with his new size. I really hope the isles bring this guy in asap. I think as far as readiness is concerned, he is more ready than reinhart and almost as ready as strome.
Pulock's offensive game looks ready, but he can always improve defensively, and he's surely behind Reinhart in that department. But I think Pulock is a mature kid, and older than most of the kids drafted in 2013, plus this is his 4th year in Juniors. So he may be ready next season for the NHL, his slapshot is already NHL ready. I also like that though an offensive defenseman, he loves to hit.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Degeneration Rex

November 14
Sault Ste. Marie 8, Niagara 4-Graham, - 2.
Edmonton 6, Moose Jaw 2-Reinhart, 1 goal (2) , 2 assists + 1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-14-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old
11-14-2013, 10:18 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I think as far as readiness is concerned, he is more ready than reinhart and almost as ready as strome.
As someone who watches both of these guys play every game, i must say I am unsure how anyone can make this statement.

I'm a Pulock fan, in fact I think his upside is higher than Reinhart's especially in the islanders system. I also think Pulock will be a quick mover through the system. But to say he is more ready then Reinhart at this exact point in time is inaccurate (in my opinion).

Pulock is a MUCH more exciting player, and way easier for me to cut clips of exciting highlights on a nightly basis. BUT there are also a handful of situations every night that I want to see Pulock handle better and make better decisions. These simply are non existent with Reinhart. Sometimes I think Reinhart is a robot, he doesn't really make any mistakes, it's quite remarkable. Is he limited with his skating? Yes. Is he limited with his offense? Yes. But whatever he physically is capable of, he executes at nearly 100% efficiency. People think Calvin de Haan is smart and cool and calm (and he is)... CDH has NOTHING on Reinhart in that regard. THOSE are the types of defenseman who can jump to the NHL and hardly struggle. His acceleration is literally the only thing that could hinder him in his NHL transition (which IMO is sure to be Opening night next season).

Old
11-14-2013, 10:29 PM
StrongIslanders90

I love Pulock and IMO has a Higher ceiling than Reinhart, but I think Reinhart would have ben fine in our line up and played well but Pulock still needs atleast another year too keep developing his D game...

The way I see it...

Pulock=Doughty
Reinhart=Staal

Old
11-14-2013, 10:33 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
I said last year that the knock on Pulocks skating were inaccurate and unwarranted. Is he a burner? No he isn't. His foot speed is pretty average, but he has a powerful stride (which makes up for his lack of foot speed). Another clear advantage he has (and its even more pronounced in juniors than it will be in the pro's) is his strength/balance on his skates. Pulock makes exceptional routes to the puck and with the puck and protects the rock with his incredibly sturdy frame at will. He will likely have less success with this at the next level, so adjustments will need to be made, but he will get away with it 'as is' most of the time as he IS THAT strong on his skates.

Where I AM concerned. Is his backwards skating ability. He's cheating a lot by either getting back early and giving up some unnecessary room in his gaps to keep the play in front of him OR just settling on getting into foot races into his own defensive zone in transition (like a forward backchecking) and then using his routes and strength to effectively ride the opposition off the puck. He'll need to work on this a lot in my opinion. Besides that, taking an xtra second to make sure the puck clears the zone BEFORE joining the rush and getting caught out of position seems to be his only weakness' he clears the dirty areas in front of the net effectively with stick and body and makes proper reads.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
As someone who watches both of these guys play every game, i must say I am unsure how anyone can make this statement.

I'm a Pulock fan, in fact I think his upside is higher than Reinhart's especially in the islanders system. I also think Pulock will be a quick mover through the system. But to say he is more ready then Reinhart at this exact point in time is inaccurate (in my opinion).

Pulock is a MUCH more exciting player, and way easier for me to cut clips of exciting highlights on a nightly basis. BUT there are also a handful of situations every night that I want to see Pulock handle better and make better decisions. These simply are non existent with Reinhart. Sometimes I think Reinhart is a robot, he doesn't really make any mistakes, it's quite remarkable. Is he limited with his skating? Yes. Is he limited with his offense? Yes. But whatever he physically is capable of, he executes at nearly 100% efficiency. People think Calvin de Haan is smart and cool and calm (and he is)... CDH has NOTHING on Reinhart in that regard. THOSE are the types of defenseman who can jump to the NHL and hardly struggle. His acceleration is literally the only thing that could hinder him in his NHL transition (which IMO is sure to be Opening night next season).
Thanks ITM. It's nice to get input on our prospects from people who watch them all the time. From what little I saw of Reinhart in the preseason, his skating had improved from the prior season, and I'm hoping it just keeps improving.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:40 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
November 14
Sault Ste. Marie 8, Niagara 4-Graham, - 2.
Edmonton 3, Moose Jaw 2, second period, Reinhart, goal, assist.
Thanks Rex. Reinhart with a nice game. I haven't kept count, but it seems like Edmonton has a nice win streak going.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:41 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I love Pulock and IMO has a Higher ceiling than Reinhart, but I think Reinhart would have ben fine in our line up and played well but Pulock still needs atleast another year too keep developing his D game...

The way I see it...

Pulock=Doughty
Reinhart=Staal
From your mouth to God's ears.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:43 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
From your mouth to God's ears.
Not saying they will become those guys but as far as comparisons I think its fair.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Thanks Rex. Reinhart with a nice game. I haven't kept count, but it seems like Edmonton has a nice win streak going.
Just picked up another assist. Goal he scored was right off a face off. Griff not doing anything differently, just playing is normal game.

Old
11-14-2013, 11:04 PM
scott99

Quote:
Just picked up another assist. Goal he scored was right off a face off. Griff not doing anything differently, just playing is normal game.
Just looked at the boxscore Rex, and Reinhart has 1 goal 2 assists, but his +/- is even. Was he on ice for the oppositions 2 goals ?

Old
11-14-2013, 11:11 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Just looked at the boxscore Rex, and Reinhart has 1 goal 2 assists, but his +/- is even. Was he on ice for the oppositions 2 goals ?
2 Powerplay assists... no effect on the +/-

Old
11-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
First goal of game by Moose Jaw he was on the ice but it was not anything he did wrong, 2 assists were on power plays. His goal was at full strength. Listening to the game, better than reading a box score,still not like actually watching.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-14-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old
11-14-2013, 11:13 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
2 Powerplay assists... no effect on the +/-
Nice to see Reinhart is playing all situations including the PP. Can't wait to see him at the Subway series and the WJC.

Old
11-14-2013, 11:37 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
First goal of game by Moose Jaw he was on the ice but it was not anything he did wrong
Hmmm. Now is as good as any to have my first disagreement with D-Rex

Reinhart got caught on a long shift BUT he lost the battle on the wall and then when he was trying to recover and man the slot a pass got through him to Fioretti in the slot for a one timer. You can blame both Lazar AND Reinhart. long shift, i'll give him a half of a pass, but not a good shift. OH WELL, he more than made up for it.

Closed Thread