HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Hope Of Glory

vCash: 500
Gregoire tied his point total from last year in 35 less games. Now, that's some interesting progression.

Old
12-01-2013, 07:52 PM
HabsfaninBrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
There's lots to like in Lehkonen but nothing to fall in love with. Hes light frame combined with only decent skating makes me think it will be a hard long road for him to ever step on the NHL ice. The thing is - he cannot bulk up. He has that feather light body type you just cannot add muscle mass on (but only slightly). Even if he could bulk up which he most likely cannot he would only lose his mobility (look at his off-season training program; it's not something you would do to bulk up...) Lehkonen is 160 lbs. and will hardly ever be more than 170 lbs. I think even that is generous. With that frame he should be a rocket to survive in the NHL. Add that concussion history on the top of it and you have a very high risk prospect here. Hope I am wrong and the kid somehow miraculously will come out good.
You state "he cannot bulk up" then two sentences later you write "if he could bulk up which most likely he can't". So you somewhat changed your mind within seconds but how the hell do you know if he can bulk up or not? Did you study his family tree and diet? A lot of people add quite a bit of weight from 18 to 21. I think you are making emphatic statements about something you really can not offer an opinion on. The concussions are a concern, whether he makes 185lbs or not, to me is premature and subjective.

To think this is my first post, when I really registered only to reply to the BS "move the Bulldogs from Hamilton to Laval" posts from people who clearly have never been to Hamilton. You can slag lower than great attendance but Laval somehow being superior to Hamilton on any front is pure crap! I am not saying Laval is worse, other than of course the much higher taxes (which should matter to players making $67.5K) but it is absolutely no better. (I know, this last paragraph belongs in the other thread>)

Old
12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Lehkonen could probably put on 12 pound of lean mass every year 2 years would be 24 pounds. Which gets him to 187 which is alright for his height. He probably won't all out go on a bulk as it probably would mess with his performance.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:02 AM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
There's lots to like in Lehkonen but nothing to fall in love with. Hes light frame combined with only decent skating makes me think it will be a hard long road for him to ever step on the NHL ice. The thing is - he cannot bulk up. He has that feather light body type you just cannot add muscle mass on (but only slightly). Even if he could bulk up which he most likely cannot he would only lose his mobility (look at his off-season training program; it's not something you would do to bulk up...) Lehkonen is 160 lbs. and will hardly ever be more than 170 lbs. I think even that is generous. With that frame he should be a rocket to survive in the NHL. Add that concussion history on the top of it and you have a very high risk prospect here. Hope I am wrong and the kid somehow miraculously will come out good.

There is quite a bit of wrong in this post. The point that stood out to me is your misconception that muscle will impede mobility - in fact, the opposite is more likely to be true. More muscular legs, for example, generally increase mobility and allow for a more explosive stride. This is assuming we are not talking about excessive size (read: steroid-sized quads)

I do agree however that Lehkonen appears to have a slight frame in terms of shoulder broadness. This is not to say that he won't be able to build enough strength to overcome this - check Marty St Louis, who has relatively slight shoulder width but has been able to pack on some serious muscle regardless. The real key to a hockey players ability to compete physically however, is lower body strength. In that regard, it is way too early to tell how far he can take his conditioning. That being said, I remember seeing a video of his off-season training regime and it has a surprising lack of the type of strength and mass building compound movements that he should be implementing, notably squats and deadlifts.

Either way, between then and when he arrives in NA is an eternity for a 19 year old (2 years is my guess) and it'd be prudent to wait to see his development before forever labeling him a frail little girl.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Lehkonen is 6 feet tall FFS! Can we stop with all the small-talk?

Old
12-02-2013, 01:17 AM
TiCats

Am I the only one who thinks Crisp is going to be the next Ryan White?

Old
12-02-2013, 09:00 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Lehkonen is a pure goal scorer.. there's plenty to get excited about. They are rare prospects.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:10 AM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiCats View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Crisp is going to be the next Ryan White?
I don't see the parallel between the 2....If he can reach his full potantial, I see him mimicking Ryan Malone as a career but he can also become the next Clifford.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM
sharks9

Hudon and Fucale invited to Canada's World Junior camp.

Only two goalies invited so obviously Fucale is on the team and only 2 forwards will be cut and I really doubt Hudon will be one of them.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
In McCarron news (sort of), Horvat and Anderson have been invited too. 16 year old stud Mitch Marner should be at the U-17's during the holidays.

London will likely play at least 8 games without Horvat and Anderson and a few without Marner. There should be a lot more ice time available. Domi and Tierney will still be around as playmakers. No excuses, McCarron needs to be a key player for them during that stretch. (And no, I'm not expecting him to be considered for the USA WJC team).

Old
12-02-2013, 12:24 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

Only two goalies invited so obviously Fucale is on the team and only 2 forwards will be cut and I really doubt Hudon will be one of them.
I'd say Hudon is a lock.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

good for those 2, nice to see we will still have some habs on the WJC at least this year too, hope they do great

Old
12-02-2013, 01:51 PM
MarkovsKnee

Congratulations to Fucale for making Team Canada. They basically have their team picked. Interesting that they went this way, but it also means that the team can start practicing together sooner and actually work on their game and specialty teams.

Hope Hudon stays healthy this year.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:59 PM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Can't see Fucale not being number 1.. Patterson sucks.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Roz

Fucale, Drouin invited to Team Canada tryouts

Quote:
ďThey took a different approach this year and it worked out for me,Ē Fucale said. ďBut Iím for sure going to go into the practices and the preparation to make sure Iím ready for the tournament. Iíll make the little adjustments they want me to make to get prepared for the games.

ďIím really excited. At the same time, I have a lot to focus on and Iím looking forward to getting started with the team.Ē
Quote:
Because he already knows he is on the team, he can go to the tryout camp focused only on trying to beat out Paterson to be the teamís starter. But for now, the Montreal Canadiensí second-round pick is just processing the shock of achieving yet another childhood dream.

ďI watched the world juniors every year,Ē Fucale said. ďEven last year, obviously Jo and Nate (MacKinnon) were there, but I got up at four in the morning to watch it with my buddies at my house.

ďI donít know yet what itís going to be like to be on the other side of that; I havenít lived it yet. But Iím pretty excited to have the chance to represent Canada. Iíll do anything I can to contribute to the success of our country.Ē

Old
12-02-2013, 02:13 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Has Paterson regressed in the last year? He was arguably the most impressive goalie at last year's selection camp.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We normally see eye to eye, but I just can't agree with this. Jake Paterson is arguably the OHL's best goaltender. Unless of course you're getting the Spirit's Jake Paterson (the one that was selected) and the Knight's Jake Patterson confused.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:35 PM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
We normally see eye to eye, but I just can't agree with this. Jake Paterson is arguably the OHL's best goaltender. Unless of course you're getting the Spirit's Jake Paterson (the one that was selected) and the Knight's Jake Patterson confused.
That is it. I always confuse them.

Old
12-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Wow pretty high praise for Fucale to be given a spot right away. Will be tough to beat out Paterson, how many 18 year old starters has there been for Canada?

Hudon is a lock barring another injury. I'm surprised over the decision of having Josh Anderson and Taylor Leier over Poirier and Domi.

EDIT: Oh wow no Nurse either.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Hmmm yea I think he'll be backup to Patty.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:08 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

The Saginaw goalie is the goalie they sent...

Old
12-02-2013, 06:23 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Hmmm yea I think he'll be backup to Patty.
Should be yeah, but things change quick in goal for Team Canada, as the previous years have shown

Old
12-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
We need people like Crisp in the system, if he pans out. I seem him as 3rd 4th line, Turner Stevenson or Mike Keane or even Chris Neil. I know a lot of purists here will say, wait, they are not the same type of players for X, Y, or Z reasons, but my point is that Crisp won't be a first line prospect, but may be one of those grinders that can hit, fight, and pot the odd goal, which a strong team needs to succeed.

Don't know how he is defensively, etc., but I am excited about developing prospects that are targeted for less than starting line-up duties. Crisp and McCarron and Gregoire, and other big bodies not unskilled players that may help us in 3-4 years time.
Crisp will be successful if he ends up a Shawn Thornton, a goon who can keep up with play. He has some offensive tools but his production isn't particularly exciting, although his streakiness makes it interesting. He needs to improve his skating if he even wants to make the NHL as a goon though.

I'm more impressed with Gregoire, although Crisp is interesting if only for his size.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
In McCarron news (sort of), Horvat and Anderson have been invited too. 16 year old stud Mitch Marner should be at the U-17's during the holidays.

London will likely play at least 8 games without Horvat and Anderson and a few without Marner. There should be a lot more ice time available. Domi and Tierney will still be around as playmakers. No excuses, McCarron needs to be a key player for them during that stretch. (And no, I'm not expecting him to be considered for the USA WJC team).
It will be interesting to see if USA invites McCarron to camp or will he follow in the footsteps of Tinordi as both players were at the Lake Placid camp just after being drafted but with Tinordi's struggles in the OHL that year he didn't get invited to the winter camp. I would think he gets invited, at least if they go off what he did at the summer camp, but since he's from the USNDTP, he should be there most likely in 2015.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:18 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Crisp will be successful if he ends up a Shawn Thornton, a goon who can keep up with play. He has some offensive tools but his production isn't particularly exciting, although his streakiness makes it interesting. He needs to improve his skating if he even wants to make the NHL as a goon though.

I'm more impressed with Gregoire, although Crisp is interesting if only for his size.
Crisp can be more than a goon. The highlights I've seen show some pretty solid skill there a lot more than I thought.

Considering how much he was panned on this board when he was picked, his goal production is very pleasing if not 'exciting'.

I swore someone said on here that Crisp's centreman got injured and that was more or less the reason for his slump. I hear he's got tons of compete so it's not like the streakiness is due to laziness.

If he had better skating I bet he could've gone a lot higher. Very pleased with all 3 of DLR/McCarron/Crisp's skill levels from the little I've seen.

I guess Gregoire's going through a bit of a slump himself. Hope he can pick it back up but maybe having a 6th rounder stay in the Q top 20 scoring all year might be a little too much to ask for. Still sounds like a great pick though. Hope he can make the WJCs next year.

Closed Thread