HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Lehner or Anderson?

Old
11-17-2013, 02:40 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 100
Lehner next game please. Can't afford to be down 1-0, 2-0 before the game is a few drinks old. Not all of today's goals were ANdy's fault but he needs to make those game-brekaing saves he did last year.

BuckyDornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:50 PM
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1

vCash: 500
Lehner may give us a better chance to win at this very moment, but it'll be cheap wins because eventually the end result will resemble what we're getting at the moment with Anderson. Play Anderson, and get this team playing properly.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSeven View Post
Surprise surprise Anderson lets in the first 2 goals of the game AGAIN. what is that like the 8th time this season? How can a team play infront of a guy who might be good once he screws up but always lets in goals in early in the game.
The 9th time this season in 14 starts.

I don't know how any team is supposed to win games when their goalie consistently puts them down 2-0 to start the game.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Lehner may give us a better chance to win at this very moment, but it'll be cheap wins because eventually the end result will resemble what we're getting at the moment with Anderson. Play Anderson, and get this team playing properly.

Yeah, we'd win, but feel bad about it.

And nobody wants that.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:05 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Well, hopefully Lehner gets his shot again.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Super Cake

vCash: 804
I would put in lehner next game just to shake things up. If he plays great and the team somewhat plays better in front of him, then put lehner in for the game on wednesday as well. If the same thing happens, then i would just ride lehner until he has a bad game.

Super Cake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Benjamin
Differently Financed

vCash: 50
Anderson doesn't make the timely big momentum saves this season.

He hasn't been bad but wow it would nice to not have a guaranteed goal against in the first 10mins.

Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:21 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBruins4Ever View Post
I would put in lehner next game just to shake things up. If he plays great and the team somewhat plays better in front of him, then put lehner in for the game on wednesday as well. If the same thing happens, then i would just ride lehner until he has a bad game.
Our team isn't good enough to not ride the hot hand.

Sorry Andy.

Old
11-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Cake

vCash: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Our team isn't good enough to not ride the hot hand.

Sorry Andy.
Tell that to maclean when he benched lehner after his three game hot streak.

Super Cake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:32 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBruins4Ever View Post
Tell that to maclean when he benched lehner after his three game hot streak.
:shrug:

It's one of many problems with this team, and isn't even the most significant one.

Old
11-17-2013, 03:46 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

It gets to the point where you have to just forget the team infront of you and look at the stats:

5-6-2 3.26 .904

vs

3-2-2 2.13 .945

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:38 PM
KarlssonnSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
It gets to the point where you have to just forget the team in front of you and look at the stats:

5-6-2 3.26 .904

vs

3-2-2 2.13 .945
IMO, it is past that point. The small Anderson injury this seasonwas a blessing in disguise (And I don't mean that it's a great thing Andy got injured or that I want him injured) because Lehner got to show that he is better. Should have kept rolling with him at that point.

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Indrew

One would hope Lehner will get at least one of the back to back. As you guys have said, this team needs .945 goaltending to even stand a chance most nights.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
It gets to the point where you have to just forget the team infront of you and look at the stats:

5-6-2 3.26 .904

vs

3-2-2 2.13 .945
Let's please not forget the team in-front of Andy/Lehner. If we're going to pin our hopes on the guy with a .945 SP and a 2.13 GAA who's still not above a .500 record (although the Dallas game really shouldn't count) to win games, we're treating a symptom, not the cause.

If that's the road we're going to go down, we might as well give up on the season because Lehner can't keep those stats up forever.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:27 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Let's please not forget the team in-front of Andy/Lehner. If we're going to pin our hopes on the guy with a .945 SP and a 2.13 GAA who's still not above a .500 record (although the Dallas game really shouldn't count) to win games, we're treating a symptom, not the cause.

If that's the road we're going to go down, we might as well give up on the season because Lehner can't keep those stats up forever.
Well said. Maybe Maclean is starting Anderson because he wants the team in front to start playing better than completely relying on Lehner to win games for them.

At the end of the day, As awesome as Lehner is right now, very few goalies can keep a. 940 average going forever. Look no further than the guy some people now want to run out of town.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Well said. Maybe Maclean is starting Anderson because he wants the team in front to start playing better than completely relying on Lehner to win games for them.

At the end of the day, As awesome as Lehner is right now, very few goalies can keep a. 940 average going forever. Look no further than the guy some people now want to run out of town.
Exactly.

I 100% guarantee there will be threads to get rid of Lehner within the next 2 seasons and labels of him being a bust. Just like every goalie on this team before him.

Fans keep following the same pattern, year after year after year. Heaven forbid a guy play above his head for a few games or half a season. Once they return to earth they get dumped on and shipped out...then we start the cycle again with the next piece of fresh meat to enter the building.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy on the Road View Post
One would hope Lehner will get at least one of the back to back. As you guys have said, this team needs .945 goaltending to even stand a chance most nights.

Not a question if Lehner will get at least one of the back to backs(@Phi, vs Min) this week or during the second set back of backs a few days later(@Det, @Car), he'll most likely get 2 of the games as will Anderson. I mean nothing is 100% for sure with Maclean seeing as I've said in previous posts, he seemingly likes to zig when we all think he should zag but it would be kind of shocking if he doesn't let both goalies get two games each.

That said and what are the million dollar questions at this point is when exactly is the time to pull the plug and how much longer does Stache let this charade of "Andy is #1 and he's playing because he's healthy" carry on?
- When does the importance of winning hockey games become so great that it becomes time to tell his experienced journeyman netminder veteran who you have alot of respect for that "it's just not working out right now Andy. We are going to give Robin the keys and let Robin drive the car for awhile and see where things go"?

-When does it become time to say the importance of winning hockey games becomes more important than keeping the status quo because well, it's the status quo and you don't want to screw with the status quo?

-And finally when is it the time to truly live by the credo that was brought in by this coaching staff that "the best players play" and state "OK, our young kid is really playing well this year, the team seems to play better when he's in net and YES I hate to admit it but right now he's BETTER than my #1 and so he gives us a better chance to win hockey games and so he's our guy for time being".

The faster these questions get answered the faster it will be before this team starts to win hockey games on a consistant basis again.

For all you Anderson lovers,, apologists and excuse makers who are afraid of change and are consistently stating how "bad the defense is" and "no goaltender could play well under these conditions" and "it's not Andy's fault he's given up the first 2 goals in 9 of his 14 starts" yada yada yada...blah blah blah. What you guys always conveniently forget is that Lehner, the kid you want to keep as the backup for as long as possible despite fact he has more talent in his left pinkie than Anderson has in his whole body, plays UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS. And despite Lehner playing with same crap defense as Andy does, Lehner has figured out a way to give up a goal less a per game and stop shots at a .945 rate compared to a .900 rate.

Facts are facts and they are irrefutable. Andy has shown he can't handle the job so far. Time to see if the kid can handle it. I think he can and will. And the time for all of this is NOW otherwise season is lost!!.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:24 AM
The Fuhr*

With Miller and one of the Duck goalies probably available I wonder how much that hurts the trade market of Anderson. Especially with Anderson looking average.

If the return is only a 2nd + prospect, keep him for the duration of the deal and make him the backup.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
With Miller and one of the Duck goalies probably available I wonder how much that hurts the trade market of Anderson. Especially with Anderson looking average.

If the return is only a 2nd + prospect, keep him for the duration of the deal and make him the backup.
Exactly, no reason whatsoever for time being to deal Anderson...none at all. All I'm saying is that it's time for Andy to put the ball cap on for awhile, be the good soldier and mentor sit back and watch and let the kid play.

It's actually a great situation you have here Ottawa with one guy who looks like he could be "the next great thing" in Lehner and another guy who is an excellent compliment. But time has certainly come to allow Lehner to play. Andy, let's be honest folks, has been really really average. Some would argue less than average. He's not helped all that much win games or keep the team in games unlike last year when he was amazing. Some would also argue that Andy has reverted back to previous form before he came to Ottawa seeing he really was for most part an OK to above average netminder.

Bottom line, no matter how you slice and dice it and no matter how much you want to blame the defensive support Andy has recieved, he simply has stunk up the joint for the most part and he other than a few rare exceptions, has not looked like a #1 goalie. On other hand, Lehner has looked like a #1 guy when given the opportunity. Seems to me to be no debate what direction you go in now. Have you not seen enough? I know I have and I have no agenda...I like both guys. I just like my teams to win more than they lose and in this case Lehner is that guy!

Old
11-18-2013, 07:07 AM
blahblah3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

Facts are facts and they are irrefutable. Andy has shown he can't handle the job so far. Time to see if the kid can handle it. I think he can and will. And the time for all of this is NOW otherwise season is lost!!.
Facts are facts? Such as the team getting completely outplayed at the beginning of every game. No effort. Getting out shot by 20-30, and out chanced because guys like Phillips have lost their abilities? You seriously think that cannibalizing Anderson, and putting in Lehner is going to do what? Make this team slightly less pathetic?? Conference champs? I guarantee you, as soon as Lehner breaks under the impossible task of keeping these losers in playoff position, he will be next to be eaten, and probably Mac as well. Mean while, Phillips, Neil, and Spezza will still be floating around, and passing their bad attitudes and habits to the new group. They are playing as though they are untouchable.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Quo

Facts are facts...but the last two years never happened.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower View Post
Facts are facts...but the last two years never happened.
Last two years absolutely happened and one can't take that away.

The old adage "what have you done for me lately" comes into play however.

Old
11-18-2013, 08:02 AM
SenzZen
I Ain't Even Mad

This team has been a terrible early-game team in Stache's tenure.

We get better as the game goes along (generally).

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:08 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Last two years absolutely happened and one can't take that away.

The old adage "what have you done for me lately" comes into play however.
Exactly. Like how Cam Talbot is better than Henrik Lundqvist and should be given the ball to run with.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:12 AM
SenzZen
I Ain't Even Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Exactly. Like how Cam Talbot is better than Henrik Lundqvist and should be given the ball to run with.
This in a ****ing nutshell.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote