HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buy Out McCabe? Sign Niedermayer?

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 07:06 PM
tomerez

vCash: 500
As much as I like Niedermayer, he'd cost us too much. According to his agent he is looking for the maximum ($7.8 Million) and even if we were to buyout McCabe (which I wouldn't approve of), it'd be a very expensive man to take on.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Buy-out Klee sign Hatcher, who is younger.

Old
07-25-2005, 11:41 PM
richardn

I really don't think Neidermyre is a reallistic option. It is to risky if you ask me. In order to bid on him they would have to buy out Kaberle and McCabe because Neidermyre is going to go for at least 6.5 in my opinion probably higher. So if we land him our d is going to be really weak except for our top pair. I think we should try and spread the money on two guys instead of 1 superstar. Besides we lock Neidermyre up to a hefty contract that leaves us zero chance togo after Pronger next year. So lets say we buy out Kaberle and Mcabe and lose Neidermyre in a biding war with Vancouver or the Rangers or something, then Foote re-sign's with Colorado and Leetch returns to the Rangers, where would be then becuase we would still have 1/3 of McCabe's salary's against the cap and less guys to chose from who probably aren't going to be any better then McCabe and Kaberle.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:43 AM
equipe

I say trade McCabe for a second rounder and a good defense prospect(or young NHLer). Then do your damndest to sign two of Leetch, Foote, Rathje. I think Niedermayer is a little out of our cap range.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:50 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipe
I say trade McCabe for a second rounder and a good defense prospect(or young NHLer). Then do your damndest to sign two of Leetch, Foote, Rathje. I think Niedermayer is a little out of our cap range.
2nd rounder, are you nuts. McCabe was in the running for noris last year and isn't that old. We could easily get a first rounder and a top prospect for him.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
2nd rounder, are you nuts. McCabe was in the running for noris last year and isn't that old. We could easily get a first rounder and a top prospect for him.
I would have a tough time giving up a 1st. rounder that was in the top 15 for a one year rental of McCabe.

Maybe Keenan does a Huselius and 2nd. for McCabe?

Old
07-26-2005, 09:04 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Maybe Keenan does a Huselius and 2nd. for McCabe?
Sold. We're weak on the Left side.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:14 AM
chara

Scotty Neidermayer...best defender by far...

McCabe's clutching and grabbing routine won't cut it in the new NHL. At 3M+, he'll be overpaid.

I'm no Leafs fan but if dumping him means you have a shot at arguably the best d-man over the last 5 years, Scott Neidermayer...good bye McCabe....Neidermayer can skate like the wind and is extremely good in his own end...by far, the best all-around defenceman in the league and the new NHL will be geared to fleet footed guys like him...The Leafs financial upper hand ends Friday...use it JFJr. or lose it...my gut tells me JFJr. doesn't have the courage or the vision to buyout all his overpaid guys and gear up for the new NHL...

Old
07-26-2005, 09:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
my gut tells me JFJr. doesn't have the courage or the vision to buyout all his overpaid guys and gear up for the new NHL...
Are you sure it isn't telling you that he doesn't want to spend his cap this year, because teams have players becoming UFA next year he'd rather buy?

Old
07-26-2005, 09:23 AM
wasting time

Actually McCabe is not slow, and he is a very good puck handler, and has a very good shot from the point. He is very physical, always works hard and is not bad in front of the net.

He is a very emotional guy, and not that bright, so his head gets him into trouble. He will never become an elite D man because of his head. The Philly series is a perfect illustration of this - he lacks that last major gear.

He is a very good D man for any team in the #3 or #4 role.

He is slightly overpaid in the new CBA, but I agree it is too risky to buy him out because the Leafs may not like what comes in return. However, I do agree with those who believe he can be excellent trade material. But that only makes sense if JFJ can secure some quality free agents.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:26 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
My gut tells me JFJr. doesn't have the courage or the vision to buyout all his overpaid guys and gear up for the new NHL...
Besides McCabe, who do you think is overpaid. And don't say Belfour, because that's just dumb - especially coming from a Sens fan.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Canadian Game

Niedermayer would cost an arm and a leg, yet for approx. the same price you could likely get Foote and Gonchar. But I don't know if it would make sense to buy out McCabe when he was our 2nd point getter last season(mainly because of Leetch by his side). I think it would make more sense to buyout Klee, parcially because he's the older one of the defencemen. To me a player that costs $3.458m and came 2nd in points last season is a good price.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Game
Niedermayer would cost an arm and a leg, yet for approx. the same price you could likely get Foote and Gonchar. But I don't know if it would make sense to buy out McCabe when he was our 2nd point getter last season(mainly because of Leetch by his side). I think it would make more sense to buyout Klee, parcially because he's the older one of the defencemen. To me a player that costs $3.458m and came 2nd in points last season is a good price.
I think a second team all star defensman deserves to be paid at that level. Why so many of us want to jettison our best d-man is a constant source of consternation to me.

Sure, seek out and sign another all star defenseman if possible. But trading peter for paul doesn't improve a team. Defense has not been our best or deepest position since who knows when ( 92/93 Gilmour team? '67 team?)

So I say keep him and upgrade the rest of the defense if possible.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:01 AM
SensItComing

You folks are crazy

IMO $3mill a year is way too much for McCabe in the new NHL. I don't know how many times I saw him

1. Beat to the outside
1b. have to use the "Can Opener" when beat to the outside.
2. Have a clearing pass picked off up the middle.

In the new NHL speed skills are going to be much more important than clearing the net which I DO give McCabe credit for. Personnaly I'd prefer to have a Brian Rafalski type than a Brian McCabe type.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Actually McCabe is not slow, and he is a very good puck handler, and has a very good shot from the point. He is very physical, always works hard and is not bad in front of the net.

He is a very emotional guy, and not that bright, so his head gets him into trouble. He will never become an elite D man because of his head. The Philly series is a perfect illustration of this - he lacks that last major gear.

He is a very good D man for any team in the #3 or #4 role.

He is slightly overpaid in the new CBA, but I agree it is too risky to buy him out because the Leafs may not like what comes in return. However, I do agree with those who believe he can be excellent trade material. But that only makes sense if JFJ can secure some quality free agents.
2 points of contention:

1. McCabe's hands are not good. He handles the puck like a child playing hot potatoe or a nervous soldier with a hand grenade

2. He isn't slightly overpaid, he is about 50% overpaid, considering what the market might offer in terms of available talent on the market come August 1st.

Closed Thread