HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs protection and exposed waiver draft list

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 11:24 AM
avfan#21

vCash: 500
Avs protection and exposed waiver draft list

Protected

Bates Battaglia, F; Rob Blake, D; Jim Cummins, F; Adam Foote, D; Peter
Forsberg, F; Riku Hahl, F; Milan Hejduk, F; Dan Hinote, F; Paul Kariya, F;
Chris McAllister, D; Derek Morris, D; Andrei Nikolishin, F; Joe Sakic, F;
Teemu Selanne, F; Martin Skoula, D; Karlis Skrastins, D; Alex Tanguay, F;
Peter Worrell, F; David Aebischer, G; Petr Franek, G.

Available

Serge Aubin, F; Travis Brigley, F; Brett Clark, D; Brad Larsen, F; D.J.
Smith, D; Brian Willsie, F.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:28 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
no surprises except maybe that cummins is protected. seeing that, i think he has a spot on the team and will get a contract any day now.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Good ole Franek does his job again

Old
10-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Belgian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21

Available

D.J. Smith, D
We can always hope right

Old
10-01-2003, 11:47 AM
avfan#21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
We can always hope right

Yep I got my fingers crossed that Atlanta or Nashville will pick him up

Old
10-01-2003, 11:48 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
Good ole Franek does his job again
That guy gets his 15 minutes of fame every year.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
We can always hope right
Well even if he isn't picked up, I think it's safe to say that he'll be cut soon after the draft. If everyone passes on him in the draft, then he'd most likely clear waivers en route to Hershey.

I could see Aubin being picked up, although rumors say he's injured, he still brings a decent physical game with a decent set of hands to the table, and isn't too far removed from his 30 point season in Columbus. He's an above average 4th liner on most nights on about half the teams in the league.

IIRC Larsen was exposed last year, and no one bit, along with Willsie. After Willsie's showing in camp, I doubt anyone will go after him (especially after he was a Group V UFA w/o any offers). Larsen on the other hand, is once again injured (from what I heard), and can now be deemed injury prone (?).

Clark and Brigley shouldn't get interest from anybody.

Anyone's thoughts on who you think the Avs should take?
-before McCormick's splas I woulda said Harvey, but couple Cody's arrival and Cummins' great camp, I'd rule out the Avs taking any offense.
-Therien also caught my eye. But again, Liles appears to have a spot on the team solidified. I'd only think about grabbing Therien if Liles would be set for Hershey first.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:03 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Well even if he isn't picked up, I think it's safe to say that he'll be cut soon after the draft. If everyone passes on him in the draft, then he'd most likely clear waivers en route to Hershey.

I could see Aubin being picked up, although rumors say he's injured, he still brings a decent physical game with a decent set of hands to the table, and isn't too far removed from his 30 point season in Columbus. He's an above average 4th liner on most nights on about half the teams in the league.

IIRC Larsen was exposed last year, and no one bit, along with Willsie. After Willsie's showing in camp, I doubt anyone will go after him (especially after he was a Group V UFA w/o any offers). Larsen on the other hand, is once again injured (from what I heard), and can now be deemed injury prone (?).

Clark and Brigley shouldn't get interest from anybody.

-before McCormick's splas I woulda said Harvey, but couple Cody's arrival and Cummins' great camp, I'd rule out the Avs taking any offense.
-Therien also caught my eye. But again, Liles appears to have a spot on the team solidified. I'd only think about grabbing Therien if Liles would be set for Hershey first.
I believe per Pierre's tradition the Avs won't look twice at anyone. We are stacked defensively and offensively with no idea what's going to happen in 2005.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Belgian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Dare I say....

Cujo?? :p

I don't think PL will consider it though, spending all that cash on a player who was just injured and who'se recent playoff record leaves a lot to be desired.
Maybe if there was an indication from the Cujo camp that he realy want's to play badly for the AVS (ie taking a paycut and giving up his option year) PL might consider it, but that won't happen anyway.

As for the other available people, I doubt any of them interest PL with his current roster in hand.

I agree though with Ensane that it seems that Liles has got his spot on the team safe now. Smith will either be taken or off to Hershey where he belongs...

Old
10-01-2003, 12:18 PM
avfan#21

If I was Joseph's agent I'd be on the phone with Pierre now. Cut a behind the scenes restructuring and stick it to Detroit.

Other than that, Simpson would be Granato's kind of guy, not to mention the fact that Granato and Harvey were team mates and we all know that can get you an Avs uni from time to time.
The Avs have Cummins protected, that means either they want him bad enough to protect him or that they could use him as a tradeoff if there is something they like. We know that's what Franek is for, I'd trade Cummins for Harvey any day.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Belgican

I didn't know that you could protect someone like Cummins you don't even have under contract !!!

Or is he ?

Old
10-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgican
I didn't know that you could protect someone like Cummins you don't even have under contract !!!

Or is he ?
I am not really supposed to say anything, but Cummins is/will be under contract very soon. That is why he was protected.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Sakic19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
I am not really supposed to say anything, but Cummins is/will be under contract very soon. That is why he was protected.
Thanks for the information, but it wasn't a hard deduction to make. I assumed he was going to be a part of the organization, or they wouldn't have protected him.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Hordichuk_24

Yeah I understand. I have known this for awhile actually. I just wasn't supposed to say anything. But I don't think it really matters anymore. It's quite obvious that he is in the Avs plans.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Bell
I would take a look at Bednar or Hartigan and maybe even Keefe or Trepanier. Mainly as AHL guys, but it wouldnt be so bad to bring them up in a pinch. And if we were to lose everyone to free agency and retirement, these guys would make a good 3rd line/3rd pairing.
Bednar is available??

I think he would be snatched up pretty quickly...

Old
10-01-2003, 02:36 PM
M.F

Not that it matters that much, but I find it odd that Hahl had to be protected. He signed his entry level contract as a 20 year old, played two years since NHL signing in 91 NHL games.

According to the rules as I interpret them I can't see why he had to be proteced. Did the Avs voluntary put him on the list just to get 18 skaters protected?

Old
10-01-2003, 03:49 PM
oildrop

Just curious guys/gals, who is Petr Franek that the Avs Protected. I looked and noticed he wasn't even in the Top 5 Prospects for the Avs' goalies. Was this maybe so the Avs could maybe drop him IF they were to sign Joseph? Thanks in advance.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Just curious guys/gals, who is Petr Franek that the Avs Protected. I looked and noticed he wasn't even in the Top 5 Prospects for the Avs' goalies. Was this maybe so the Avs could maybe drop him IF they were to sign Joseph? Thanks in advance.
Hehe.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=23832

Old
10-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Yeah I understand. I have known this for awhile actually. I just wasn't supposed to say anything. But I don't think it really matters anymore. It's quite obvious that he is in the Avs plans.

why? who are you that you have info that is so important you cant reveal it untill it is public?

Old
10-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
why? who are you that you have info that is so important you cant reveal it untill it is public?
I just know people that are close to Cummins. Nothing was supposed to be said until it was made official. But it pretty much has now that he bas been protected, IMO.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:52 PM
dempsey_k*

Is Larsen injured agian or is Cummins really that good ? I don't see the logic in that at all. We went to the 7th game of the 3rd round with Larsen burning rubber all the way just the other year.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Breeze

Why is Franek protected? If a team loses a player via the waiver draft are they compensated in anyway? Thanks.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Larsen is hurt again, the guy just doesn't have any luck.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:29 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Bell
Yes.

Just like Reijo Ruotsalinen.

Not neccessarily CuJo though. The Avs have been doing this for years. Franek will never play for the Avs. That's why they protect him.

I thought that might be the reason, thanks guys. As for Ruotsalinen, they finally stopped protecting him! They did that for years. Now they have another guy they use(Ralph Intranuovo). I might have spelled that wrong. It's weird how they allow teams to still do this kind of thing. But I guess it works.

Another thing, your team is going to be unbelievable this year! I can't believe how stacked you guys are, the Oilers are sure going to have troubles with you now.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:58 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
cummins is protected simply b/c if the avs like a forward, they can unprotect jim and remain confident that he will be passed over by other teams...

some guys that interest me, quite truly are:

i. novoseltsev - not likely, but an eyebrow raiser
j. bednar - interesting yes, but not likely
b. muckalt - this is a guy i'd like on the avs.. gives depth and quality for bottom lines

m. timander - also a guy i'd like if not for million +
r. petrovicky - same boat as muckalt to lesser extent
s. heins - same as novoseltsev/bednar
j. langfeld - personally i like him, generally disregard this :p
n. tselios - depends on how much promise you still think he has
t. harvey - same as muckalt, however a tad expensive, too bad
s. keefe - a guy i would take in an instant if he's around at the avs pick.. he'd be an awesome addition IMHO
t. bouck - personal fav again, disregard
t. whitfield - same as bouck

Closed Thread