HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who do you boo?

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Lambert Closse

vCash: 500
Who do you boo?

My question is for regular NHL spectator.

Who do you boo? Why ? and do you think it affect the players?

I don't go to Habs games much, too expansive and you cannot bring your lunch. I am cheap, I prefer bringing my back pack to a good CFL Alouettes' game.

I used to go to Expos' games a lot and I would boo Larry Walker because he said bad thing about the city when he left for Colorado and Bryn Smith who was angry with Montreal convenience store for not speaking perfect english and not carrying his wife's favorite Doritos.

For some reason, Habs fans boo Brisebois at Bell Centre, does every team have a Patrice Brisebois? Do you boo opposite team players or your owns too? Or maybe it's only in Montréal.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:32 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Jason Doig, Ivana Ciernik and Jowl Kiwi.

Does it affect them???...They cant get much worse, so thats hard to judge.

Edit: I dont live in Washington, but I can scream at my TV in a mean way!

Old
09-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
Jason Doig, Ivana Ciernik and Jowl Kiwi.

Does it affect them???...They cant get much worse, so thats hard to judge.
So your booing is performance related. You don't have anything against this guys.

In Montreal, Brisebois is a local boy, a loud mouth and drives a Ferrari. Some people might even boo him on the street.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:37 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

OH no, I've hated Doig for years. Going back to his days in the AHL, players had to sign autographs after games in Springfield, he always had a puss on his face and said absolutely nothing even after you say things like "Great Game, Jason" and such.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
OH no, I've hated Doig for years. Going back to his days in the AHL, players had to sign autographs after games in Springfield, he always had a puss on his face and said absolutely nothing even after you say things like "Great Game, Jason" and such.
I don't know him personnally but he was a dominant player on defense back in the Q. One of these players that are too important too quick, just like Daigle, they think making the NHL is easy. It's not.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:41 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Messier and Bure. I'm sure many Canucks fans are the same. It's convenient that they're on the same team now, in fact they play with Nedved as well so we get a 3-for-1 deal!

Old
09-29-2003, 11:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
My question is for regular NHL spectator.

Who do you boo? Why ? and do you think it affect the players?

I don't go to Habs games much, too expansive and you cannot bring your lunch. I am cheap, I prefer bringing my back pack to a good CFL Alouettes' game.

I used to go to Expos' games a lot and I would boo Larry Walker because he said bad thing about the city when he left for Colorado and Bryn Smith who was angry with Montreal convenience store for not speaking perfect english and not carrying his wife's favorite Doritos.

For some reason, Habs fans boo Brisebois at Bell Centre, does every team have a Patrice Brisebois? Do you boo opposite team players or your owns too? Or maybe it's only in Montréal.

Philadelphia is probably more famous for "Booing" than any othe city on the planet.

Flyers get booed far less often than the Phillies, Eagles or Sixers.

Flyers usually have one "whipping boy" that gets a lot of abuse. Normally a defenseman.

AS for myself I go to 30 games a year or so and I only boo based on performance. Generally at the end of a period as they're going off the ice.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Well, the only player I have ever booed at a game was Alexei Yashin in a preseason game vs. Vancouver after his "holdout under contract" with Ottawa...at the time, everyone was booing him when he touched the puck, and I just joined in the fun. My mom felt sorry for him, though, and said I was insensitive. I told her she doesn't know what she's talking about

There are no Canucks I'd really like to boo, most of them are pretty classy even when leaving...I would've booed Brashear, for his "better to be in a winning situation" comments after leaving, but subsequent events showed him to be the idiot he is, so meh...I also would've booed Nedved for wanting out of Vancouver and clandestinely signing with St. Louis, but then we got a few major players in our Cup Finals run in '94 so once again, I can't complain.

Yeah, no players I hate enough to boo.

But Mike Keenan and Pat Quinn on the other hand...

Old
09-29-2003, 11:49 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Last year I found myself yelling

"You suck Baron!!! $$#@^&&^#@!!!!!!"

quite a bit.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:50 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Every Maple Leaf, Flyer, and Mike Peca.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Epoch

Daniel Alfredsson.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Lambert Closse

Please provide your reason for booing and if they are your team or opposite team players.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:55 AM
PigPen

Belfour and Potvin, going back to their days when Eddy played for Chicago and Potvin was a leaf.

Ah...the good ol' central division rivalries...

Old
09-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

First I will never boo but lets assume I will then it's Bill Guerin.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
First I will never boo but lets assume I will then it's Bill Guerin.
What's his history with you? Just curious..

Mine is Claud Lemieux.. I am asshamed he is wearing a Stars uni..

Old
09-29-2003, 11:58 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Peca b/c he's a *****. Hasek b/c of his comment at the Detroit Cup parade.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
What's his history with you? Just curious..
It's well-known that Bill Guerin has a history with "chopping rookies heads off" and with the last Olympics I saw another example of this against Ilya Kovalchuk (who did nothing). He's a POS IMO and I don't like him.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:16 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

At the RBC center Scott Stevens usually get booed for the cheap shot he took at Ron Francis a few years ago in the playoffs. Keith Primeau always gets booed after the way he left the team.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
It's well-known that Bill Guerin has a history with "chopping rookies heads off" and with the last Olympics I saw another example of this against Ilya Kovalchuk (who did nothing). He's a POS IMO and I don't like him.
He has his Hatcher antics once and a while.. can play quite cheap. But I can probably name about 20 players who play cheaper and not back up their actions, unlike G..

Old
09-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Hans Jonsson. He's terrible.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:19 PM
IronMosher

vCash: 730
Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
I think it's most appropriate to boo the away team, heckle them and anything you can to throw them off their game, short of throwing stuff on the ice, at them or slurs. I call it "fan involvement". I was heckling Hebert when the Duck were visiting the Tank a couple of years ago, everyone else saw how much fun I was having, started in, and the Sharks kicked their ass and Hebert got pulled. I was in the 6th row and he kept looking right at me. I felt like the 6th man on the ice.

If you are a true fan, booing your own team would only hurt them. Sure there are the occasions were teams get boo'd at the end of a game and the fans let them know it as they are leaving for the locker room. I'd say losing 9-2 merits such an occasion. "BOOOO!!!"

I'm not a Habs fan, but I have to imagine Brisbois might say to himself, "Screw these people, why should I give it my all if they are just going to boo me anyway." He might not say it on the outside, but he has to feel it somewhere. And if I made a million dollars a year, I'd be driving a Ferrari too.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Murphy*

Yashin

Old
09-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Sotnos

I really don't believe in booing your own players (although I have booed the power play units ), but there was a large contingent of Lightning fans last year intent on booing Pavel Kubina if he screwed up in a game and cheering when he got scratched. The worst was when he got scratched due to injury, leaving us with five dmen in the game, including Dan Boyle playing 30+ minutes for the 3rd or fourth straight game (not something he's used to) and Darren Rumble. Yeah, let's all cheer that someone's hurt AND the team is horribly shorthanded on D! That really made my stomach turn.

About the only other guy who I've seen get the "boo every time he touches the puck" treatment lately down here is Lindros, I don't quite know why.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I booo Rob Blake , I honestly never liked the guy even when he was on the Kings and was happy to see him dealt. The situation worked out well for both teams, Blake doesn't have the heart or skill to be the Franchise Player, like he was expected to be in LA. In Denver he was behind Sakic, Forsberg, Roy and Bourque and played better.

I also boooo Paul Kariya because he is an overrated, arrogant SOB. I would say overpaid, but at 1.5 mill he is worth it. But I guess its fitting he took less $$, helps to make up for all the years he stole money from the Ducks orginization. Plus Kariya with his arrogance just made the Ducks a better team (which isn't good), they used the freed up $$ saved on Paul and signed a guy twice as good.

Owen Nolan , cheap shot artist who only shows up in contract years. Nolan scored nearly 50 goals in his contract year in 2000, does he even have that many combined in all the other years since? SJ bent the Leafs over in that trade.

Keith Tkachuk, another one of those me first type players. Tkachuk's unprofessional behavior in Nagano and in the 96 World Cup was a black eye on USA Hockey. Great talent, but I wouldn't want him on my team at his ridiculous salary and attitude.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Teemu

Alexander Karpovtsev

Closed Thread