HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2013, 11:03 AM
  #76
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Putting aside the fact that I was joking, I didn't say it was 400 years I said it seemed like 400 years. And in all seriousness by the end of the 90's the cup seemed like a few lifetimes ago. The 97-98 season alone felt horrifically long.




The Rangers started the season carrying at least 3 righty D in '90-'91, '91-'92, '92-'93, '93-'94, '94-'95, '95-'96, '96-'97, '97-'98, '06-'07, '07-'08, '08-'09, '09-'10, '10-'11, '11-'12, and '12-'13.

15 out of 23 seasons.

Every year they've made the playoffs since '91 they've had 3 righty D's, except the year after the '04 lockout.

Every year they missed the playoffs they've had less, except the year before the cup, '97-'98 and '09-'10.

Playoffs with 3 RD = 12/15
Playoffs with less than 3 RD = 1/8

Pretty much every year the Rangers had some semblance of a properly constructed team (i.e. not the end of Smith/beginning of Sather's tenures where they just seemed to throw crap at a wall to see what sticks) they've tried to roll with 3 and 3.

Considering that some teams roll with all lefties and most with less than 3, I don't think its a stretch to say the Rangers put more stock in it than most teams.
Wait, you're going back over 20 years in your analysis of what the Rangers put more stock in than other teams? Did I misread that?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 11:14 AM
  #77
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Wait, you're going back over 20 years in your analysis of what the Rangers put more stock in than other teams? Did I misread that?
Part of the discussion was Neil Smith and how his Rangers teams usually ran lefty-righty.

Considering he hasn't been the GM in 13 years and his tenure goes back almost 25 years it would be difficult to discuss using only current events.

Though I am open to suggestions.

McRanger is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 11:54 AM
  #78
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Johnson and Allen seem more polished than MCI. I don't think he should be called up any time in the near future.

Lindberg is doing well. He's not a flashy player like Kristo, but he's very consistent and will play in the NHL sooner rather than later.
Yeah, there was a good decent piece on Lindberg at blueshirtsunited.

There is alot of new stuff for Lindberg to pick up in NA. Two cathegory's of players pick up on the NA game real fast (as it seems at least), 1. the goto scorer types, the give-me-the-puck types. Running a PP, sniping, etc. its just the same in NA as in Europe. Or 2. the energy types who skates a ton and constantly move their feet.

Lindberg is a really smart, 2-way center. That is decently skilled. His biggest strength is that he thinks the game at a real high level, and it seems to be real easy for him to adopt to good linemates and make them better while taking benefit from their talent himself. He is also a player that finds ways to compete, score really important goals, just compete and win 1 on 1 match-ups over longer series etc. He is not going to step onto a top PP unit in the AHL and score a PPG instantly.

I could see him playing contributing in the NHL on a 3rd line with good linemates on the wing within a year or two.

Ola is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 12:03 PM
  #79
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Part of the discussion was Neil Smith and how his Rangers teams usually ran lefty-righty.

Considering he hasn't been the GM in 13 years and his tenure goes back almost 25 years it would be difficult to discuss using only current events.

Though I am open to suggestions.
I've looked at this the last month, all teams run only Left-Right nowadays, unless they have no options. I've yet to see a single D, in like the last 20 games I've seen, that has played out of position that I would not characterize as an "emergency solution". IE a team that clearly just don't have 3 lefties and 3 righties. Often you see a leftie playing at RD because he just clearly is so much better than that team's nr 3 righty.

THere is a tremendous diffrence here compared to just 10-15 years ago. Here in Europe, you still see D's playing on the opposite side.

But in the NHL nowadays, you just has such disadvantage when you go into your own corner to fetch a puck and you don't have your stick pointing out towards the boards. Every time a puck is pushed up along the boards, a D on the wrong side is forced to go with his backhand while a D is storming at him.

Ola is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
  #80
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
I'm going to the WhalePack game tonight. Disappointed that Fast is hurt but looking forward to seeing some of these kids in person.

mti79 is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 06:31 PM
  #81
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,555
vCash: 500
FIRST PERIOD

Hrivik-Lindberg-Asham are starting. Miss in the net.

Jean took it deep, MCI skated up to the hash marks, good shot and almost led to a rebound goal.

Miss gives up an early goal. His prior saves were kinda awkward. This started out with a decent save, but he left a rebound. Allen should've held his man better. Not a terrible defensive play, but needs to get better than this to get to the NHL.

MCI no longer looks like he's afraid of the puck. He used to carry it like it was a bomb that needs to be gotten rid of within a split second, but no more.

Jean forechecking and skating well.

Devils 2 on 1. Johnson went down too early, pass from right to left. Nothing that Missionary could do, particularly since he doesn't move well from side to side. 2-0 Debbies.

Johnson is good at the AHL level, but what he lacks would expose him badly in the NHL. He makes stupid mistakes that AHLers can't take advantage of (usually), but NHLers would destroy him.

Kantor hussles and draws a penalty. Kristo with a sliding pass to Allen, but Kinkaid makes a huge save. PP over.

Crosschecking called on the Undertaker in front of Missionary Position. Killed off, but there was a post hit.

Mission playing better in the second half of the period.


SECOND PERIOD

More hard work by Kantor. Protected the puck well with his body along the boards and drew a second penalty.

Penalty on Allen, who otherwise looked very good tonight. Good PK, particularly by MCI.

Lindberg is playing (and doing it well) in every possible situation, including both special teams.

Big save by Miss on a shot from up close.

Kantor with a big hit.

Kristo with a great rush around the defensemen, but Kinkaid stopped it. Kinkaid is a good goalie.

Another Kristo rush draws a penalty. Syvret hits the goal post. Penalty killed.

Matteau hit O'Donnell, committing a penalty. OD drops gloves and punishes Matteau. Still a Pack PP. Syvret with a nice shot, but glove save by Kinkaid. Anothe good shot by Lindberg stopped by Kinkaid. A good PP, but Kinkaid is acting as if beach balls are thrown at him, not pucks.

Can't say this is Johnson's best game. Not awful, just not good.


THIRD PERIOD

Huge blocker save by Kinkaid on Asham's close up slap shot.

Miss with a pair of solid saves.

Nash with a very nice move around the defenseman, shot, but another stop by Kinkaid. Pack is playing well, but Kinkaid is beating them. He's the difference this game.

Jean with a great pass to Johnson, sending him on a short breakaway, but another Kinkaid stop.

Jean is having a very good game. Another nice rush by him.

Penalty on Bickel. MCI with a very good clear to Bourque that almost sent him on a fast break, but the defenseman caught up.

Devil around Nash. Sprawling save by Miss. The puck went in, but after the whistle.

One man called on each time. 4 on 4 for the final 2 minutes. Pack pull their goalie, bad bounce and it's 3-0.


Last edited by Beacon: 11-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Beacon is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:13 PM
  #82
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,555
vCash: 500
Players of the Game

1. Jean: Good hustle and created some offensive chances.
2. Kristo: Same as Jean.
3. Kantor: worked hard, drew a pair of penalties.

HM: McIlrath - looks 10 times more polished than last Spring. Took massive steps forward over the summer.

Beacon is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:25 PM
  #83
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,033
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
The team actually had some good chances offensively tonight. Couldn't get one through though. The sluggish start killed them.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:37 PM
  #84
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I'm going to the WhalePack game tonight. Disappointed that Fast is hurt but looking forward to seeing some of these kids in person.
You wasted your time and money.

This team could use Fast as a finisher. The defensemen are good, as are power forwards (Haley, Asham, etc). Some chances are created, but they either need to create more or convert a higher percentage of chances. Fast would be good for converting more.

Miss did ok tonight, but will need to improve quickly or the team will need to acquire someone.

Beacon is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:56 PM
  #85
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,024
vCash: 500
Pack lost Talbot, Kreider, Miller, and didn't get Fasth...

Totally screwed their hot start. Miller & Mashinter should be sent down once Nash is back. Play Falk as a forward if you need him to get some games.

Inferno is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 11:14 PM
  #86
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,033
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Is Dupont hurt? Bickel playing forward in the AHL was as brutal as it was seeing him play it in the NHL. Yuck.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 04:14 AM
  #87
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,454
vCash: 500
How much longer before Mgmt will do something about this misery?

Osminator is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 05:15 AM
  #88
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Handicap spot
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,456
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I've looked at this the last month, all teams run only Left-Right nowadays, unless they have no options. I've yet to see a single D, in like the last 20 games I've seen, that has played out of position that I would not characterize as an "emergency solution". IE a team that clearly just don't have 3 lefties and 3 righties. Often you see a leftie playing at RD because he just clearly is so much better than that team's nr 3 righty.

THere is a tremendous diffrence here compared to just 10-15 years ago. Here in Europe, you still see D's playing on the opposite side.

But in the NHL nowadays, you just has such disadvantage when you go into your own corner to fetch a puck and you don't have your stick pointing out towards the boards. Every time a puck is pushed up along the boards, a D on the wrong side is forced to go with his backhand while a D is storming at him.
Even though Toronto lacks RHDs, I think Phaneuf is a LHD that prefers the right side. He played there in Calgary as well and has said that he prefers the right side. But he is most likely a special case, or perhaps a player that doesn't know what is best for him.

Blue Blooded is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 01:44 PM
  #89
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Even though Toronto lacks RHDs, I think Phaneuf is a LHD that prefers the right side. He played there in Calgary as well and has said that he prefers the right side. But he is most likely a special case, or perhaps a player that doesn't know what is best for him.
Possibly, I don't know. Toronto has one RHS in Franson but that's it. There are of course other examples. It would be odd if there wasn't a single D in this leauge that preferred to play the off-side (Christian Bäckman is the last I remember that we had). Morris and Mara are other D's that I know has moved to their "natrual" side.

But there is a reason for why coaches has become extremely strict on this all over the league. You just put so much pressure so fast on the D's along the boards that its a big disadvantage when a D gotta turn his back against the play and handle a puck with his back-hand basically every single shift when playing the off side.

Its also much easier to find the D in the attacking zone. I remember when I was playing, I had decent coaches here in Sweden and they always -- which also all teams in the SEL did -- put two D's on the ice for a PP with the sticks pointing towards each other. At the same time Detroit started using Lidström on the left side and always had a right handed D on the right side. But the thing is, that got them open. The best PKers just took away those D's with the sticks pointing in towards the ice. You couldn't make that D to D pass. Now instead the D moves into center ice and is fed by a forward moving up towards the blueline.

Ola is online now  
Old
11-16-2013, 01:45 PM
  #90
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
You wasted your time and money.

This team could use Fast as a finisher. The defensemen are good, as are power forwards (Haley, Asham, etc). Some chances are created, but they either need to create more or convert a higher percentage of chances. Fast would be good for converting more.

Miss did ok tonight, but will need to improve quickly or the team will need to acquire someone.
Eh, it was fun. Went with some friends we hadn't seen in a while. And took full advantage of the $1 hot dog/$2 beer combo. Add that to some beers at the Tavern afterwards and all in all, not a terrible Friday night.

mti79 is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 06:06 PM
  #91
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
anyone have any feedback about how lindbergs been defensively and on faceoffs?

SwedishBullet62 is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:20 PM
  #92
Khelvan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Was anyone at the game today? How did Stajcer look in net?

Khelvan is online now  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:22 PM
  #93
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Pack win 4-1 tonight. McIlrath fights two big time heavys--Brett Gallant and Justin Johnson in the 2nd period. Scott Stajcer with the win.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:23 PM
  #94
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Pack win 4-1 tonight. McIlrath fights two big time heavys--Brett Gallant and Justin Johnson in the 2nd period. Scott Stajcer with the win.
How'd McI do against those guys?

haveandare is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:24 PM
  #95
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
How'd McI do against those guys?
Just looked at the box score. I'm interested as well. He must have survived Gallant well enough because Johnson came next.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:28 PM
  #96
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Just looked at the box score. I'm interested as well. He must have survived Gallant well enough because Johnson came next.
I'm sure he did fine. He's more of a real heavy than either of those two. Added an assist and a +2 on top of the two scraps.

E-Train is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:33 PM
  #97
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
I'm sure he did fine. He's more of a real heavy than either of those two. Added an assist and a +2 on top of the two scraps.
Both Gallant and Johnson are tough tough guys with impressive records as fighters. That is what they do. They're not very good hockey players. Gallant is not huge but he's embarrassed a lot of legit heavyweights. Pound for pound he's about as tough as they come. He likes to slug all his fights out. If I remember right he's fought Joel Rechlicz twice this year and one of them might just about be the best hockey fight of the year. Johnson is built like Donald Brashear. Just a big musclebound brawler.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:44 PM
  #98
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Both Gallant and Johnson are tough tough guys with impressive records as fighters. That is what they do. They're not very good hockey players. Gallant is not huge but he's embarrassed a lot of legit heavyweights. Pound for pound he's about as tough as they come. He likes to slug all his fights out. If I remember right he's fought Joel Rechlicz twice this year and one of them might just about be the best hockey fight of the year. Johnson is built like Donald Brashear. Just a big musclebound brawler.
I've seen many of their scraps. Gallant is very tough for his size but barely 6 ft. The last fight with Rechlicz he ate a ton of bombs because of the lack of size/reach. Sat out the next game. Point being McIlrath is more a heavy than either of those two and is only getting more experienced against pros.

E-Train is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:47 PM
  #99
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
I've seen many of their scraps. Gallant is very tough for his size but barely 6 ft. The last fight with Rechlicz he ate a ton of bombs because of the lack of size/reach. Sat out the next game. Point being McIlrath is more a heavy than either of those two and is only getting more experienced against pros.
These are the types of guys he SHOULD NOT be fighting.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 09:52 PM
  #100
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
These are the types of guys he SHOULD NOT be fighting.
He can handle anyone in the A but yeah, Bickel and Haley should be
Taking on these types.

E-Train is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.