HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will Clarkson get Gomez'd?

Old
11-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Quo

vCash: 500
I didn't like the contract either but this thread is premature.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:50 AM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
4 games.....comparing him to Gomez.

An HFBoards exclusive.
Are you surprised?

Other teams were after him too. He was eventually going to sign somewhere.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:54 AM
radicalcenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
It's a God awful contract for a 3rd line checker. Nonis ****ed up on this one.
That's what he is, I see him as only a slight improvement over Brandon Prust.

radicalcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:58 AM
ShootIt
M F P G A

Shocker, another Clarkson thread lol.

Way too early to bash the player/contract.

Well, except for the fact it's a 7 year deal.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by here come the View Post
So if someone offered you 35 million dollars over 7 years to do a job a weren't quite qualified for, but could do at a passable level you'd turn it down? Come on. No you wouldn't
To be perfectly honest...
If somebody gave me these 2 choices right now:
a) make $20 million over 4 years, can play my 3rd line role properly without pressure to produce elite results, and with minimal chance of fan backlash
or
b) make $35 million over 7 years, but with CRAZY pressure by a hockey mad fanbase, And at a cap hit that will HARM my teams ability to succeed…
Honestly… I’d go with option A. Only $20 million. Oh dear, only $20million. How would I get by?
If I chose option B I would fully understand that it creates FAR more pressure, and I would FULLY expect fan backlash if I put up my usual 3rd liner numbers.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower View Post
I didn't like the contract either but this thread is premature.
I am SO fed up with this line of reasoning.
Clarkson is 29 and has played almost 500 career games. We’re judging his contract based on THAT. Contracts for 29 year old players are supposed to be given out based on PRECEDENT…

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Ladde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Leafs are gonna regret this. A potential buy-out contract.
Small sample size but it is looks like I got it right.

Ladde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:14 AM
ot92s

Gomez has actually become underated around here. Still one of the better puck moving forwards through the neutral zone in the game, now if he could just get produce something from time to time one he marches it into the offensive zone.

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Avec Fromage*

People who are hating on Clarkson right now are expecting too much.

He is meant to hit, shutdown opposition, work the boards and cycle the puck. He's been doing that. I have tempered my expectations and I'm satisfied with what he brings. Despite the number on his back, he is not Geno Malkin, and despite the media hype, he is not Wendel Clark. He is overpaid by ~$1.25 M, but there's no changing that. Carlyle has him in a checking, third line, shutdown role. He's not going to put up a lot of points there. Look at Grabovski.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I am SO fed up with this line of reasoning.
Clarkson is 29 and has played almost 500 career games. We’re judging his contract based on THAT. Contracts for 29 year old players are supposed to be given out based on PRECEDENT…
Sure, but if you're going to make the dramatic conclusion that Clarkson's contract will be an albatross the equivalent of Scott Gomez's than I think it's only fair you wait until he's played more than a handful of games. He may just exceed what the majority expectation is over a longer period and prove that the investment was at least somewhat justified. Precedent is only one component in evaluating a contract.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:41 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Small sample size but it is looks like I got it right.
80% of HF got it right. ~50% of the Leafs fanbase, too.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:41 AM
LOLKarlsson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
People who are hating on Clarkson right now are expecting too much.

He is meant to hit, shutdown opposition, work the boards and cycle the puck. He's been doing that. I have tempered my expectations and I'm satisfied with what he brings. Despite the number on his back, he is not Geno Malkin, and despite the media hype, he is not Wendel Clark. He is overpaid by ~$1.25 M, but there's no changing that. Carlyle has him in a checking, third line, shutdown role. He's not going to put up a lot of points there. Look at Grabovski.
You can get grinders like that for 2-3m. He's overpaid by 2-3m. That's a lot, for 7 years.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:46 AM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower View Post
Sure, but if you're going to make the dramatic conclusion that Clarkson's contract will be an albatross the equivalent of Scott Gomez's than I think it's only fair you wait until he's played more than a handful of games. He may just exceed what the majority expectation is over a longer period and prove that the investment was at least somewhat justified. Precedent is only one component in evaluating a contract.
Don't expect that. He only shows up to post in threads when the Leafs lose.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Officer Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Do all the Leaf haters actually watch the games or just look at his stats and say "worst contract in recent memory"? It certainly isn't.

Also, most players have already warmed up and are entering mid-season mode, Clarkson missed the first 10 games and is just getting warmed up now. He hasn't been playing bad at all, he generates some good scoring chances, finishes his checks, and gets under the other teams' skin. I'm going to wait a while to see if I think he's the next Gomez.
He's not worth 5.25 unless he's finishing those scoring chances. You can get guys who do the little things for a lot less than he is being paid. Finishing checks and agitating isn't worth that much of a teams cap, no matter where the cap happens to be.

Officer Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:09 AM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Nobody is judging Clarkson on just 7 games. He has almost 500 career games. Of which, he has averaged about 30 points per season. People are judging him on THAT. Not just 7 games.

And I hope Clarkson gets the Gomez treatment. I hope it's worse. I hope Clarkson get's booed out of the building every night.
In a capped league, dramatically over paying for players HURTS the team. Fans SHOULD be furious when their cap money is wasted on players.

Make players know... if you take crazy money... you better DAMN WELL perform. If you don't live up to your contract, fans will make your life miserable. If players don't want that extra responsibility, they shouldn't take dramatic overpayments. Simple.
I like this post. The Oilers fans should strike

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:16 AM
AfroThunder396
Certified G

vCash: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dragon 81 View Post
Any Devils fans here? How did this guy score 30 goals in a season (and like 10 goals in his first 14 games last year)? Can't skate, can't pass, can't deke, low IQ, has a mediocre shot... he's tough, physical and goes to the dirty areas but I can't imagine how he would score 30 goals. Then again, Chris Simon scored 29 goals in the dead puck era...
Deflections, rebounds, and shots that the goalie got a piece of but had absolutely no business letting in.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Too early.

He missed the beginning of the season when everyone looks bad as they get up to speed.

Not a fan of the contract but still too early to judge it and his season thus far.
He has one season over 20 goals and one season over 40 points (career high 46). What exactly are we expecting to change or improve?

7 years @ 5.25M who will bring "intangibles" is pretty steep and I question those "intangibles".

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:39 AM
ot92s

Yeah I never understood what all the fuss was over clarkson. Eyeball test says he ain't much, his stats say he never was. And yet the paycheck...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLKarlsson View Post
You can get grinders like that for 2-3m. He's overpaid by 2-3m. That's a lot, for 7 years.
He can score 25-30 goals if the last two years are any indication. That's more than just your typical grinder. 4 million is fair pay for that given the way the market is going and the frequent increase of the cap.

Let's not forget Ottawa and Edmonton were offering him ~6. Show me where, recently, a player like Clarkson signed out of free agency for $2 million.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
He can score 25-30 goals if the last two years are any indication. That's more than just your typical grinder. 4 million is fair pay for that given the way the market is going and the frequent increase of the cap.

Let's not forget Ottawa and Edmonton were offering him ~6. Show me where, recently, a player like Clarkson signed out of free agency for $2 million.
You think Melnyk was offering this guy 6m?

We didn't even offer our captain 6m.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Kevin8se7en
Ooohhh can do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
It was hilarious seeing Toronto fans defend the signing.
Glad Murray backed out.
Quote:

Let's not forget Ottawa and Edmonton were offering him ~6
. Show me where, recently, a player like Clarkson signed out of free agency for $2 million.
Rumor has it that Murray was only upping the bid to make Toronto pay more and never actually wanted Clarkson for that type of money. He was bluffing. He most likely had interest for MacArthur money but when the bidding got higher, he just played along.

Think about it... Murray even said we were "above our internal cap" after the Ryan trade so how could we have seriously offered Clarkson 30+ million?

It also makes sense that the Leafs would overpay to not have to play against him all the time. That in it self isn't a terrible strategy... they just over did it.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I Am Classless

Clarkson's skillset as a grinder who can score scrappy goals is more interesting than it sounds and I don't blame teams for taking a chance on the guy, but the term on that contract is absolutely insane. Not to open the can of worms labelled "lockout," but if the market for player contracts still has general managers bidding each other up to the point of giving Clarkson 35 million dollars over seven years, how much has really changed?

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
To be perfectly honest...
If somebody gave me these 2 choices right now:
a) make $20 million over 4 years, can play my 3rd line role properly without pressure to produce elite results, and with minimal chance of fan backlash
or
b) make $35 million over 7 years, but with CRAZY pressure by a hockey mad fanbase, And at a cap hit that will HARM my teams ability to succeed…
Honestly… I’d go with option A. Only $20 million. Oh dear, only $20million. How would I get by?
If I chose option B I would fully understand that it creates FAR more pressure, and I would FULLY expect fan backlash if I put up my usual 3rd liner numbers.
You might sign the cheap contract, but your greedy agent who makes 10% of your contract doesn't give a **** about your team or your pressure, all they want is money. That's why we see so many of these inflated contracts

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:08 AM
LOLKarlsson*

Quote:

You can't get a player like that through FA. Which is why your old GM refused to build through FA. It handcuffs the team in the long run as you end up overpaying on hit and term to get your guy.

As for a comparable, Curtis Glencross is imo a better goal scorer, and has a similar skillset. He makes 2.25 million.

The contract is just bad regardless of how you look at it. I honestly believe in a year or two it will be seen as one of the worst contracts in the league. I have zero faith in Clarkson being anything more than an energy 3rd liner.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
His contract sucks, but he at least brings something else to the table when he's not scoring.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote