HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stafford should be kept through the rebuild

Old
03-07-2014, 07:49 AM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Stafford should be kept through the rebuild

Disclaimer: this is an opinion I've had of Drew long before his recent statistical revitalization.

Ideally in a third-line capacity, Stafford should be kept through the rebuild. Despite popular opinion among casual sabres fans, he's a leader with a strong work ethic, a quality two-way game, more jam than he'll ever be given credit for and an offensive touch - albeit a streaky one.

For several seasons he's brought forth an honest effort on game nights. His commitment has always wrongfully been questioned. The only reputation he should have is that of a streaky scorer.

The contract he signed after his 30-goal campaign came with major expectations - expectations he hasn't fulfilled offensively - and I think that's what's warped fans' opinion of his game.

Unless an offer comes along that can't be turned down, keep him even beyond 14-15. He said he'd go through a wall for Nolan, and I truly believe him.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Dunkster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Disclaimer: this is an opinion I've had of Drew long before his recent statistical revitalization.

Ideally in a third-line capacity, Stafford should be kept through the rebuild. Despite popular opinion among casual sabres fans, he's a leader with a strong work ethic, a quality two-way game, more jam than he'll ever be given credit for and an offensive touch - albeit a streaky one.

For several seasons he's brought forth an honest effort on game nights. His commitment has always wrongfully been questioned. The only reputation he should have is that of a streaky scorer.

The contract he signed after his 30-goal campaign came with major expectations - expectations he hasn't fulfilled offensively - and I think that's what's warped fans' opinion of his game.

Unless an offer comes along that can't be turned down, keep him even beyond 14-15. He said he'd go through a wall for Nolan, and I truly believe him.
A year ago I would not have agreed with this but do now. If he continues to play a good all around game he could,be very sought after at next years trade deadline. By that point we will be less interested in draft picks though.

Dunkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I'll agree so long as he continues to play the way he is. He's actually contributing. It's good to see. Someone's got him going. He'd be an ideal piece with the young player crowd in a few years too. Just wish we saw more of this from him in years past too.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
JLewyB

He's not necessary since we are stocked with two-way forward talent but if he makes it through the rebuild I wouldn't have a problem with it. Just not sure where his place would be.

JLewyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:28 AM
OkimLom

Quote:

It's weird, it seems as the Rochester Core(Roy, Pommer, Gaustad, Vanek) were traded off, he has stepped up in the leadership role, and because of this, his play has really impressed me. There are still moments in games, especially in the Defensive zone where I worry, but it looks as though he is comfortable in his current role of a leader on the team.

Its nice to see him stepping up when they NEED him to. Maybe he finally has a coach that coaches the way he wants to play the game, no complex systems like under Rolston and Ruff, just go out there and play.

I would not be against keeping him past he rebuild, but if he's traded for better pieces, then so be it.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Jacob582

Stafford is a pro. Doesn't complain (hello Gerbe), and is good in the locker room. This is one reason coaches like to have him on the team.

I do not agree that he should be kept through the rebuild for the sole reason that I feel that he wants to move on. I would trade him anytime from the draft to the next deadline if it was for a 2015 1st (need Drew to have a dominant contract year season and for it to become a sellers market).

I would change my mid if Drew really wants to stay here.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:36 AM
jc17

vCash: 250
I would keep him. We need some veterans so we have some stability. He's a decent player that isn't great but often takes a lot of necessary criticism. He's a hard worker and I think would have a positive influence on young players.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:38 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I wouldn't oppose it, supposing he signs an extension worth the same or less than what he makes now.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:40 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
And the next time he disappears for 50 games?

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Stafford has had a good season, and has rounded himself into a solid all around hockey player. He's not a 4million dollar secondary scorer... but a good player with a good compete level.

I have no problem with him playing out his contract as a veteran leader of a rebuilding team... if he's interested in re-signing as the player he is (a 3rd liner with lineup mobility, who can play on special teams), then I'm all for it.

Last edited by vcv: 03-07-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: fixed "to" to "not"
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:47 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:

I don't care to keep him. He had his chance, has been on virtually every line and not excelled. Think we may be better off trading him through FA. Fresh start for him and new line mates for our guys.

That's not to say I don't see (and respect) your point, I just think it's mute since the ENTIRE team is working harder under Nolan these days.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:50 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
And the next time he disappears for 50 games?
When was the last time he did? He's been pretty good since the lockout. I think he's finally matured enough to be more consistent, even if not living up to the scoring potential he has.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I like Stafford more than most, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If he's willing to re-sign for around $3-3.5m for two or three years, then I'd be willing to do that. If not, or if he wants to move on to a winning team or different city, that's fine too. I suspect they'll move him at the deadline next season.

That said, he's certainly not a toxic player to have around. He tries. His confidence, and lack thereof during slumps, has always been his undoing, IMO. I think he'd do well somewhere like Pittsburgh where Bylsma is always pumping his players' tires.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:57 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

I disagree that stafford is consistent. He doesn't quite go for 50 games without a presence, but there are times where it feels like he is missing for 7 games or so.

I like stafford, but i am tired of him. I have given up on stafford as a scoring forward. He can score, but he just doesn't have that kind of consistency to be relied on every night. Great character guy, a good soldier, and a decent leader (from what i can tell as an outsider) but i wouldn't lose any sleep if they traded him away in the off season.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 09:35 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I guess? I'm neutral on Stafford.

All the positives make me want to trade him though.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Wisent42

Quote:

I'm glad you started this thread. I was about to do so myself, under the title "the case for Stafford" or something. Thing is, I'm one of those who has been bashing him for years. And for good reasons I would think. Stafford was frustratingly inconsistent for years. Then he became consistantly bad, and from there he has slowly and steadily transformed into a consisent, hard-working, two-way forward. I can only speculate, but I believe Stafford is maybe the one who has benefited most from Nolan. Wether it's Nolan's system or that Stafford was used wrong earlier I don't know, but maybe we hated him because we expected him to be something he never was; a sniper.

Stafford has basically returned from the dead and I tip my hat for him. And yes, I'd keep him around through the rebuild. I think that players who have struggled that much and come through has to have a lot of character, and also a lot of experience. The kind of things we want to rub of on our future.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:17 AM
LaFontaineToMogilny

vCash: 1232
Glad to see this thread. I've never really got the Stafford bashing. He went through a monstrous scoring drought for sure, but I never thought he played outright terrible. I definitely never saw the lack of effort that was widely reported for years(?).

I guess once something becomes the thing to say, people will just keep repeating it regardless of it it makes sense or not. I see some of the same thing happening with Leino, it doesn't really matter how he plays, he always gets put in the U category in the GBU anyway. (I'll agree that Leino is working on putting together an absolutely dreadful season, don't get me wrong)

Anyway, back to the topic. I think it makes sense to hold on to Stafford for as long as we want to have Ennis in the lineup. Those two always find a way back together and play well together. The on ice chemistry there is obvious and I have no problem with keeping both of them around together. With the right linemate they have proved that they can be a solid second scoring line, won't even hurt you on the 1st line for stretches and as a third scoring line they showed they could be best in the league.

LaFontaineToMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I've had enough of Stafford. I know all the positives of keeping him around. I just want to see him moved. I've felt this way for several years. If he stays, we know what we'll have and not have.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:22 AM
DixonWard15

darcy held onto him for too longer, his trade value is extremely low.

I am hoping for another good contract year and then trading him at the deadline

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:28 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I wouldn't oppose it, supposing he signs an extension worth the same or less than what he makes now.
This is the biggest factor right here. He's not a bad player, old enough to teach our young players a few things and young enough to be here with them through the rebuild. But if history is any indication, he'll put up the best point total of his career next year and then demand $5m+.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

It all comes down to what we see next year and what his contract demands are at the deadline.

If he has another contract year and they can get more for him than Moulson netted them....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
sabres4ever
In Samson we trust

vCash: 590
Trade him in the offseason to Edmonton for their first rounder.

sabres4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Imlach a cup

Staff makes 4 mil, he will test free agency before he takes a big enough pay cut to make it worth having around as a third liner.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I don't think the word "should" ought (successfully avoided saying "should should" ) to be used here, but I agree that there are benefits to keeping him around. We certainly shouldn't be looking to just dump him.

If there's a good offer I take it. I wouldn't trade him for, say, a 2nd rounder unless it's from a bottom 5 or so team, though I'd reconsider that at the trade deadline.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I like Stafford more than most, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If he's willing to re-sign for around $3-3.5m for two or three years, then I'd be willing to do that. If not, or if he wants to move on to a winning team or different city, that's fine too. I suspect they'll move him at the deadline next season.

That said, he's certainly not a toxic player to have around. He tries. His confidence, and lack thereof during slumps, has always been his undoing, IMO. I think he'd do well somewhere like Pittsburgh where Bylsma is always pumping his players' tires.
Same. I'm pretty indifferent to what happens with him. I like him as a player, but if he were to walk away it wouldn't really bother me.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote