HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cheer for the Islander tank or not?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2013, 05:23 PM
boots electric

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
A goaltending upgrade will do that team a world of good.
But how big of an upgrade will they actually make? Even if they're willing to spend top dollar on a goalie, who says guys like Miller or Hiller don't get better offers or more attractive opportunities elsewhere? Given their history, I think it's much more likely the Isles end up overpaying for a middling goaltender than breaking the bank to land the #1 UFA.

And that doesn't even begin to factor in things like the loss of forward depth, a still bad defense, potential for injuries or down years, the potential for other teams in their division to outpace them with their own upgrades, and so on.

The Islanders certainly could make a big jump forward next year, but I think there's a much greater chance they continue their trend of floating in that 20-25 range.

edit: let us also not forget that the Islanders have a bad owner and a questionable-to-bad GM/coaching tandem that should have both been fired a while ago but are still inexplicably behind the wheel of a jalopy of a franchise

Old
12-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Dunkster19

vCash: 500
As a die hard Sabres fan I am 100% hoping the Islanders defer that first round pick to 2015. Any chance at MCDavid is worth it even if it is only a slim chance.

Old
12-11-2013, 07:16 PM
FamilyGuy716

I was just day dreaming... the Islanders defer pick to next year, don't resign Vanek and lose JT for entire year with injury. The come in last place (with us finishing right ahead of them), win the lottery and we get McDavid and Eichel!!!

Old
12-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Last season was an aberration for the Isles. They barely made the playoffs as the #8 seed in a lockout shortened season, essentially a half year.

This year they are back to their norm of the last several years. They may be better next season than they are right now (one of the two worst teams in the league). But I highly doubt they will be a playoff team or picking outside of the top 10. They can't draw players and rely on makeshift/thrown together lineups every year. Until that changes I just don't see them getting much better.
The Isles are a young team...last year they closed strong on something like 9-3-4.

Its hard to compare this year and last year because of the differences in schedule.

In looking at how they have been this year the big difference has been play within their division. They just went on a 2-9-2 streak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think you're wrong, and this year is much more of the aberration. Last year, like this year, they were a middle of the pack possession team. The primary difference? They got close to league average goaltending last season. This year, they're in the bottom-3 for goaltending along with Edmonton and Calgary.

Last year, their PDO was 99.2, so they were a smidge unlucky, but nothing to write home about. This year, their PDO is 97.8, so they're not getting puck luck, either--and that number was far lower before their performance last night (just as they were 13th in possession numbers at 5-on-5 close before their STL-LAK-ANA-SJ nightmare of a road trip, and are now 19th). This year, they're 6-13 in one-goal games--another stat that tends to have no rhyme or reason on a season-to-season basis.

This year is more of the aberration. And every single front office employee should be fired if they give up a top-4 or 5 pick in this year's draft. Every single one of them.
They have been in the short end of one goal games which has also been a factor along with their poorer goaltending.

the team is still in it to make the playoffs in their division as a 3rd place team. they are only 9 points back which is still manageable at this time of year.

I agree they arent going to give up a top 5 pick this year. The difficult decision would be if the pick is 7-9 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
It's really the same issue. The object is to get the best player. So let's say the Isles finish with the 4th pick this year, and their brain trust looks at who they'll lose and who they could possibly sign and makes a prediction that the most probable place for them to finish next year is 8-10. The team would have to weigh the strength of the two draft classes to figure out where they wanted to be.
The team has had a few high picks in recent drafts and many of these players are ready to step in and play for the team. They believe in their internal talent and they dont see them being a top 10 draft pick team next year. They feel they will at least compete for the playoffs if not be in them. The team also will be very active in the UFA market this offseason thus getting better.

Old
12-12-2013, 01:17 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
The team has had a few high picks in recent drafts and many of these players are ready to step in and play for the team. They believe in their internal talent and they dont see them being a top 10 draft pick team next year. They feel they will at least compete for the playoffs if not be in them. The team also will be very active in the UFA market this offseason thus getting better.
I mean, if we're just speaking on behalf of other team's GMs now, I have a few words to say on behalf of a few folks.

Old
12-12-2013, 01:38 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I think you're wrong, and this year is much more of the aberration. Last year, like this year, they were a middle of the pack possession team. The primary difference? They got close to league average goaltending last season. This year, they're in the bottom-3 for goaltending along with Edmonton and Calgary.

Last year, their PDO was 99.2, so they were a smidge unlucky, but nothing to write home about. This year, their PDO is 97.8, so they're not getting puck luck, either--and that number was far lower before their performance last night (just as they were 13th in possession numbers at 5-on-5 close before their STL-LAK-ANA-SJ nightm of a road trip, and are now 19th). This year, they're 6-13 in one-goal games--another stat that tends to have no rhyme or reason on a season-to-season basis.
This year is more of the aberration. And every single front office employee should be fired if they give up a top-4 or 5 pick in this year's draft. Every single one of them.
I'm responding to your comment that their 2015 pick will be nothing to write home about. I was laying out why I disagreed with that.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not they would defer the pick.

Quote:
They will be spending money this offseason as Ratner, Yormark, et al. want the roster ramped up with the impending move to Brooklyn. As Jim Bob stated, I won't be surprised if they throw big money at their goaltending position, as that is what is absolutely killing them this season. They'd be wise to go after Miller, or try to go after a combo like Khudobin/Halak
They may attempt to spend money. But as we well know, intent to spend it doesn't mean squat if players aren't interested in going there.

They need more than just goaltending. Their defense is pretty weak and their offense is subpar.

Old
12-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Beerz

Isles down 4-1 to Phoenix ... heh

Old
12-12-2013, 09:13 PM
SabresFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Isles down 4-1 to Phoenix ... heh
You got to think house cleaning will be coming soon no?

Old
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
You got to think house cleaning will be coming soon no?
I'd imagine they will find a new coach when they come back East. Laviolette looks to be their guy.

Old
12-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
Nabokov and Strait did come off IR today for them, but Cizikas (jaw) left tonight's game. Strome was scratched as part of acclimating to the team and will play center per Capuano.

Old
12-12-2013, 09:30 PM
couture23

Damn..they must have heard us talking smack.

4-3 now.

Old
12-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Beerz

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 2m

And 3rd MacDonald blast catches Vanek up high. Vanek can barely get to bench.

Old
12-12-2013, 09:43 PM
couture23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 2m

And 3rd MacDonald blast catches Vanek up high. Vanek can barely get to bench.
Injured Vanek? What's new?

Old
12-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Islanders better trade Vanek before he's injured for the deadline. It would be kind of comical though if any team that loses out on Vanek (if he's available) overpays for Moulson and we get a better return. Islanders may be cursed enough for that to happen.

Old
12-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
I was just day dreaming... the Islanders defer pick to next year, don't resign Vanek and lose JT for entire year with injury. The come in last place (with us finishing right ahead of them), win the lottery and we get McDavid and Eichel!!!
If that happens a tribute video for Darcy is required.

(Should this be in the tribute video thread?)

While we are day dreaming......... We trade Leino and Stafford to Edmonton next season for a first round draft pick. They end up 13th in the league and despite a 0.8% chance that pick wins the lottery bumping the last place Islanders pick to 2nd overall. Sabres either get bumped to 3rd overall pick or "earn" the 30th pick with a valiant effort by many rookies - you take your pick.

Last edited by Jacob582: 12-13-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old
12-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Kc232
Hi

Isles lose to the Habs, 0-1 OT.

Old
12-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Heraldic

vCash: 50
Too bad that Isles are most likely on the list of Miller's NTC.

Otherwise I would use Snow's panic as our advance. I mean, the clock runs against him.

I would offer him Miller (50% retained) and Tallinder/Weber/McBain for 2015 1st round pick.

Picks are practically the only assets they can utilize to strenghten their most urgent holes (which are goaltending and more depth in defence). I don't think they can get any better deal just giving their 2015 1st round pick.

It would be huge gamble by Snow, but I think he might just bite it. This could greatly turn out in our favor (1st and 2nd overall picks in both 2014 and 2015 drafts (I mean, including our own picks as well) ). Or the Isles are able to turn it out for their favor and we get just something like mid-late picks in both drafts. From our point of view, I think that kind of trade would be absolutely worth the risk (though we might get better return just trading Miller (50% retained) and Tallinder/Weber/McBain elsewhere or separated).

Old
12-16-2013, 04:15 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Isles are prob gonna keep their pick..

Old
12-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Zip15

vCash: 251
I hope someone else saw what the Isles just did?

Old
12-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
yup.

Old
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
The pileup.

Old
gallagt01

Quote:
Hilarious. Blew a two-goal lead with under three to play.

Old
12-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Beerz

hahaha

I love their suffering for some reason.

Old
12-17-2013, 08:43 PM
CrazyPsycho

Excited for the Vanek shootout attempt

Old
12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
The pileup.
Somebody needs to find the picture of all them laying on top of each other as Tampa scores.

Closed Thread