HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What about Tyler Toffoli?

Old
11-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
He's the real deal.

Him and Carter will be lethal on Richard's wings.
I'm not saying Toffoli is bad but it just drives me nuts when people say a prospect is the real deal after 10 games or so.

In that case, Andrew Raycroft and Fabien Brunnstron are both the real deal

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:11 PM
JAVO16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The kid is awesome, it sucks that he's been in the minors so long because the big club is finding it so hard to find a slot for him with Williams and Carter ahead of him. Pearson-Vey-Toffoli have been lighting up the AHL for so long, it is a wonder why it took this long for two of them to get the call-up regardless of roster issues.

Should have been with the big club from the start of the season, but he is here to stay now, just have to wait and see what happens when Carter returns because he could end up on Stoll's wing or something stupid like that, and then we'll watch his numbers plummet into a black hole as all do when playing with Stoll
They have only been together in the AHL one year... Vey has 2 seasons in the AHL while both the others have only had 1 full season in the A. Breaking in an NHL team's top 6 at 21 is actually pretty quick and shows how great Toffoli's development has been.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
His skating is ugly. But it's no longer poor. He skates ok now, which is good because that was one of only two weaknesses in his game.
I concur. He has a horrendous stride, but that sure doesn't matter if it gets him from point A to point B in time!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
They have only been together in the AHL one year... Vey has 2 seasons in the AHL while both the others have only had 1 full season in the A. Breaking in an NHL team's top 6 at 21 is actually pretty quick and shows how great Toffoli's development has been.
It's a long time in "Kings time". Given our scoring woes on the wing, it is hard to justify keeping prospects like Toffoli down while the big club struggles to score. It was evident that he was ready to stay and was a little baffling that he was sent down in order to keep bottom 6 grinders on the roster. LA has had an allergy for developing skill forwards for a while now, it is nice that we finally gave one a chance to shine

"I think part of his game is he’s over aggressive at times, which I like. We’ll tame that. I’d rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
I immediately picked him up for my fantasy team when I heard the Kings had called him up... So far, he's lived up to my expectations.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:38 PM
stuffradio

vCash: 336
They were both lucky goals. One went off the skate after he fanned on the shot. The other was also lucky.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
They were both lucky goals. One went off the skate after he fanned on the shot. The other was also lucky.
"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
still too early

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:18 PM
sabresEH

Makes me wonder what Hockey Canada smokes when they dont include goal scorers like this. If they actually watched hockey they'd see that while he wasnt a great skater it didnt hold him back. Definitely could have used him at the WJC.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

Quote:

Lucky ass give and go! Weird that it still counts the same though eh?

Old
11-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I was only aware of his skating as a weakness (being only average), what was his other weakness?
It was also argued he was totally one-dimensional, fwiw. But he seems to have good vision and the knack for being in the right place not just for shots/rebounds but puck support in general

Old
11-10-2013, 06:49 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I was only aware of his skating as a weakness (being only average), what was his other weakness?
He had terrible fitness. Lombardi commented how Toffoli couldn't do a single pull-up.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Parise9Crosby87

he was pretty solid last year when he got called up for the playoffs

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

vCash: 498
Quote:
Still upset?

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

Lucky ass give and go! Weird that it still counts the same though eh?
Its always luck when someone scores on Vancouver.

Or the refs fault.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Osprey

It's a shame that he'll be traded eventually. You can't be a young Kings forward and think that you can get away with showing creativity and offensive potential for very long. You're liable to be shipped out and replaced by someone who fits "Kings hockey" better (read: goes into the corner more, backchecks more, plays a more physical game and, ultimately, puts up more modest numbers). I'm joking, but not completely.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:22 PM
cheap77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It's a shame that he'll be traded eventually. You can't be a young Kings forward and think that you can get away with showing creativity and offensive potential for very long. You're liable to be shipped out and replaced by someone who fits "Kings hockey" better (read: goes into the corner more, backchecks more, plays a more physical game and, ultimately, puts up more modest numbers). I'm joking, but not completely.
lol! True story.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 11:34 PM
jay from jersey

kids

not goin anywhere. good hockey IQ and oh baby what a wrister

jay from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:29 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Toffoli is a combination of carter and williams. The quintessential player, if you will.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:50 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

^^^ spot on

the kid has a sick shot. snapper/wrister even likes to use the slap shot. his shot us unreal.

hes got a finishers hands and skill set. good defensively and is always in the right place at the right time in the O zone... the puck always finds its way to his stick... ala luc robataille... he produces every where he plays. put up some unreal numbers in JR and was AHL rookie of the year with 28G 23A in 58 games and boasted a high plus minus fwiw(i think it was +20). 5 pts in 3 games so far this year and a +3... nothing to get too excited about yet but those numbers are encouraging and only reinforce my confidence in him replacing williams as 1RW whenever the time comes.

Last edited by butteryslugz: 11-11-2013 at 01:56 AM.
butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:21 AM
SenzZen
Do it for Alfie!

Yeah I'm eating crow on this kid.

Watched him play for the 67's and while there was no doubt he could finish, I thought he wasn't willing to do the work to take it to the next level.

Can I get a mulligan?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:59 AM
nki

Quote:
Maybe if you didn't bother quitting as a Kings fan you could watch enough to realize Toffoli has no problems with backchecking, physical play, or going into the corners. Spare us the righteous indignation.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap77 View Post
lol! True story.
Which young Kings forwards have been shipped out for showing creativity and offensive potential and replaced by someone who fits Kings hockey more?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:56 AM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Which young Kings forwards have been shipped out for showing creativity and offensive potential and replaced by someone who fits Kings hockey more?
Michael Cammalleri maybe? Only guy i think of off the top of my head that these guys would be talking about. He was amazing to watch his first few seasons in the NHL in a Kings jersey, very creative and finesse.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

Quote:
I thought it was a great tongue-in-cheek post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Yeah I'm eating crow on this kid.

Watched him play for the 67's and while there was no doubt he could finish, I thought he wasn't willing to do the work to take it to the next level.

Can I get a mulligan?
I think that's the knock on a lot of skill players that need a wake-up call--when you find out you can't get by on one skill alone, do you quit or work on everything else? By all accounts, his work ethic has been terrific. Maybe slipping to the 2nd round and playing vs. pros in the AHL was his wake-up.