HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The rebuild, identity, direction and plan of the Oilers thread - Time to trade Eberle

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Broilers

vCash: 500
The rebuild, identity, direction and plan of the Oilers thread - Time to trade Eberle

Sending Smid away was clear sign that rebuilding has restarted. Why not because our team is in Atlanta Thrashers mode not Chicago or Pittsburgh mode.

We have already implemented our high draft picks to roster and there is not much coming in the pipeline. We are in the 20th place in the HF-team rankings. We will see several veterans to be moved out before trading deadline

N.Schultz, Hemsky, Ryan Smith are good candidates their contracts are up and probably they have some trading value at least 2nd and 3rd round picks. I would prefer prospects. But that is not enough.

If Gagner will get his game back on track his value is up. Arcobello can do his job so let's trade him for top2 defense man like Coburn. Maybe they will send Eberle instead of Gagner for Coburn and high pick. Probably we can get even more form him. It wouldn't be bad to have two top 5 picks in the draft and use them to high end defensive prospect and power forward/ center with size and scoring touch

Last edited by Broilers: 01-23-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old
11-10-2013, 08:09 AM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Until Lowe is gone... We are just spinning our wheels

Old
11-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Sending Smid away was clear sign that rebuilding has restarted. Why not because our team is in Atlanta Thrashers mode not Chicago or Pittsburgh mode.

We have already implemented our high draft picks to roster and there is not much coming in the pipeline. We are in the 20th place in the HF-team rankings. We will see several veterans to be moved out before trading deadline

N.Schultz, Hemsky, Ryan Smith are good candidates their contracts are up and probably they have some trading value at least 2nd and 3rd round picks. I would prefer prospects. But that is not enough.

If Gagner will get his game back on track his value is up. Arcobello can do his job so let's trade him for top2 defense man like Coburn. Maybe they will send Eberle instead of Gagner for Coburn and high pick. Probably we can get even more form him. It wouldn't be bad to have two top 5 picks in the draft and use them to high end defensive prospect and power forward/ center with size and scoring touch
we restarted the rebuild every year we hired a new coach...

Old
11-10-2013, 08:30 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Wasn't it almost inevitable with a new GM? It's obvious that Lowe/Tambellini messed it up.

But hey! Lets entrust our re-build with another rookie GM right? What could possibly go wrong?!

Old
11-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

The sure sign will be when a kid demands a trade! That movie is surely coming very soon!

Old
11-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
The sure sign will be when a kid demands a trade! That movie is surely coming very soon!
May have already happened.

Old
11-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

If the tease we all saw from Nurse is any indication, life will get a lot better in EDM once he comes on board.

I still think EDM has a ridiculously bright future (COL fan). It just has not come as fast as many felt it would and the team is floundering.

I do think there will come a time one of the kids wants out and demands a trade, but I think it will be due to $ or a teammate getting more glory. I think there are enough young guys that will bond and want to win together and turn it around together.

So, when the day comes that one demands a trade, u bring in good parts for him. If anything it might make it easier for a GM vs trying to pick what young rising star to ship out.

As many have said on your boards that I have read, a day will come you can't pay them all. Just have to hope by the time that day does come, it's clear to the GM which ones to pay and which ones to move to build a cup contender around the core.

Hang in there EDM fans. The people laughing and saying you have all those top picks and still suck are just doing so as it makes them feel good about their own team. I'd much rather be you than Buffalo!

And as a COL fan I think you are just a couple of pieces away from being like us, a surprise winner.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:22 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
yeah, i'd be very, very surprised if one of them doesn't demand a trade this offseason... can you blame them though? i wouldn't want to work for this gong-show of an organization either to be honest

Old
11-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Broilers

We need more diversity

We have needs in almost every part of the roster.

Hall RNH Yakopov/Eberle
Perron Gagner/Arcobello Power Forward
Power Forward Boyd Powerforward
Hartikainen Horak Joensuu
Gazdic Lander MacIntyre

Top2 defenceman Petry
Belov Schultz
Ference Fedun
Larsen

Number 1 golatender
Back up.

Who we need to trade?
Eberle or Yakopov
Gagner
Hemsky
Smyth
N.Schultz
release:Eager, Omark, Grebeshkov, DD, Barberra
Minors: Acton, Hamilton

What we need to bring back
Top 2 left hand Defense man Erhoff/Coburn/Weber
Second line RW power forward
2 Third line power forwards who can take game here and there in the top 6

Old
11-10-2013, 10:02 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^easier said than done trying to find TWO power forwards and a top 2 d-man! the same guys every other team is looking for...

Old
11-10-2013, 10:03 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not sure I'll miss any of them at this point.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Why would they demand a trade? They already have their contracts, and they are in a cushy position already.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Do you have any insights for us?

TBH, the Smid trade was so off the charts, I thought the real reason for it could of been something along those lines.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Why would they demand a trade? They already have their contracts, and they are in a cushy position already.
Players of this caliber want to win. They want personal and team development, just like you do at your job. It ain't going to happen with this gong show.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:18 AM
shogun99

Were the Quebec Nordiqes. Only way we'll become the Colorafo Avalanche is if we move one or two of the kids to fix areas of weakness.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
hawks889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That could be the problem too, the players have been already rewarded with big deals win or lose,

Old
11-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Nic

I would like to point out that rebuild is entirely the wrong word. I mean it implies that we had something worth building again. What are we rebuilding from, the 1980s? The one time we had a good playoff in the 21st century? Is there any reason to believe this team can reach those heights again?

Any talk of a rebuild is a complete joke as this team has tried to do it already, for a very long time, and failed epically. Using high draft picks as some sort of excuse for being awful is pathetic. I mean I could stomach the argument if the Oilers actually ever did turn it around, but they haven't yet, and the "be patient" argument is BS as there are hundreds of professional sports franchises, NHL and otherwise that have successfully turned it around way quicker than what some Oilers fans seem to think is acceptable.

The Oilers need to win now as they haven't proven that they can win later by tanking

Old
11-10-2013, 10:35 AM
belair

Are the Edmonton Oilers currently a team without a plan?

Simple question.

I couldn't find a thread to incorporate this, so I apologize if it falls under 'the sky is falling' category. But it really is something that needs to be addressed.

From the point Tambo was dismissed and MacT was appointed GM, which was hardly a shock to any of us, this team has made a series of moves and adjustments that I couldn't fathom seeing another NHL team making.

I'd touch on the management personnel changes, but I honestly believe you should be able to put a bunch of monkeys into office chairs and still be able to run a competitive NHL franchise with the level of talent that this one does. If you'd care to incorporate MacT's ride from shamed former NHL head coach to prized NHL GM into the discussion, I don't mind.

But I'll use the most recent trade as my lone example for the time being. Simply because I can't understand how this series of moves was okay'd by an entire team of managers and pro scouts.
  • Tambo signs Ladislav Smid to a 4yr/$14M extension.
  • Tambo fired, MacT hired.
  • MacT signs Andrew Ference to a 4yr/$13M contract, NTC.
  • MacT fires Krueger, Eakins hired.
  • Eakins appoints Ference as team captain prior to playing a game as an Oiler.
  • Smid comments on team play after 5-0 loss to Detroit, Ference says boo.
  • MacT trades Smid, claiming cap relief as reasoning.

There's a logjam of LHD coming up the pipeline. I've said it a thousand times. But signing Ference and giving him a NTC when you already had a younger Ference-type with no NTC looks like a boneheaded move from all aspects IMO.

Say what you will about winner's attitudes and veteran leadership, Ference was a passenger in his time with Boston. He played big minutes on good hockey teams and was still the error-prone, limited-skill defenseman that Smid was. The only difference is that Smid was still showing signs of improvement.

If we were following the Boston model, we didn't need a Ference. We didn't need a Seidenberg. We needed a Chara. We needed a big minutes, top-pairing defenseman. And our pro scouts and management decided against looking elsewhere for that and signed a player we already had.

In my eyes, this team just got older while spinning its wheels.

But hey, there's another Oil King in the system.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks889 View Post
That could be the problem too, the players have been already rewarded with big deals win or lose,
exactly, where is the motivation to put in the work?

I think the previous poster overestimates the motivation to win. While winning is great many players have chosen money over winning. This is a business with guaranteed contracts. Winning is nice and all but if you don't win you still get to home to a million dollar contract and extended summers.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:38 AM
488fitter

I'm curious of the Ference saying boo part. I must've missed that. Wanna point me in the right direction?

And I'm sure there's a plan....it's just a really really bad one.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Jamin

Quote:
Players of this caliber want to win. They want personal and team development, just like you do at your job. It ain't going to happen with this gong show.
You would think they wouldnt take so many games off then...

Old
11-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

We don't need to fully gut the roster but we do have a lot of holes
I think we need to trade 2/4 of our young guns. 1 in a package for a dman and the other for a power forward
Players who i would have on the team next year:

Hall/RNH_________
Perron/_______/________
______/Gordon/________
______/_______/Pitlick

______/_______
Ference/Petry
Nurse/Ekblad
Klefbom or Belov

_________
Bryzgalov (if he proves to be a capable goalie)

As for coaching, we need to start fresh and clean out the whole coaching staff

Old
11-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Ference was a passenger? Throw another thread on the ignore pile.

Old
11-10-2013, 11:22 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Yep. And now management is going to panic to try and preserve their jobs. This will result in a massive squandering of talent and will likely mean that all those years of ineptitude were in vain.

Old
11-10-2013, 11:24 AM
blueracer17

Sure looks like it this far in to the "rebuild"

Closed Thread