HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The we are over the hump thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2013, 11:27 AM
  #101
Matt4776
Registered User
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Right on that point but even they have a better track record than our Rangers.
At least I (and my father) was alive for the last Rangers cup win.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
  #102
Officer Friendly
Moderator
Got Nothin To Say
 
Officer Friendly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 50
Not directed at anyone in particular just thinking out loud.... However, I understand where the negativity comes from, but to put people down for not having the same view points as your stand point is childish.
Getting a new coach that has a different philosophy then the previous coach is always a building process. Torts was great at getting the most out of his players and that's why the Rangers made that run in 2011 to the conference finals but that being said AV has come in and had a new plan for the team, something these boards and fans all over called for, a high tempo offensive style.
That's not what the team was built for...
Let's also take into account that the team still hasn't played with everyone healthy with Nash coming back that should open the ice up a little bit more for guys like Brassard, Stepan, Richards, and Kreider because teams will focus on Nash.
Will I say it's impossible for the team to make a run like the Kings did... No
Would I bet on them doing that? No
Can the team still do well in the playoffs of course, that's why the cup isn't handed out to the team with the best record after 82 games.

This is something fans should just take a deep breath and see what happens

Officer Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
  #103
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 61,959
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Last night was a big loss. Its not an unrealistic possibility that this team could be staring a 4 game losing streak in the face.
It's not unrealistic to say the team could easily win 3 of their next 4 games, either. Team lost a hard-fought game to The Debs on some bad bounces. Can't win every game. What you can do is play well enough to win in a loss, and I feel this was true against both the Devils and Ducks.

__________________
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:27 PM
  #104
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 17,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2047 View Post
something these boards and fans all over called for, a high tempo offensive style.
Not necessarily. I think that what fans called for was an team identity, an organizational direction, start for the team to look for solutions from within as opposed to the outside all the time and the players to work hard. I think that is what most fans wanted.
Quote:
This is something fans should just take a deep breath and see what happens
We have been asked to be patient and see what happens in more years than not.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:45 PM
  #105
Officer Friendly
Moderator
Got Nothin To Say
 
Officer Friendly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Not necessarily. I think that what fans called for was an team identity, an organizational direction, start for the team to look for solutions from within as opposed to the outside all the time and the players to work hard. I think that is what most fans wanted.

We have been asked to be patient and see what happens in more years than not.
And you're gonna say that Torts didn't have an identity?
And then you're not gonna admit that AV has been trying to get a new identity? The Rangers started the season on a long road trip, starting a new system and getting a new identity takes time... Especially starting away from home without a full healthy team.. In the preseason AV literally waited till the last game to try to put together the final roster that also doesn't help chemistry. If you aren't willing to give the team time and allow them to work this out at least for one season idk what to tell you.

Officer Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:00 PM
  #106
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 Chiefs View Post
It's not unrealistic to say the team could easily win 3 of their next 4 games, either. Team lost a hard-fought game to The Debs on some bad bounces. Can't win every game. What you can do is play well enough to win in a loss, and I feel this was true against both the Devils and Ducks.
You can say what you want. Barring some outliers through 18 games, this is a .500 team that has lost to good teams, been in competitive struggles with mediocre teams, and has beaten some bad teams.

They have some good teams coming up on the schedule. I know what the most likely outcome is, but yea, we'll see. We'll perpetually see what happens.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:14 PM
  #107
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You can say what you want. Barring some outliers through 18 games, this is a .500 team that has lost to good teams, been in competitive struggles with mediocre teams, and has beaten some bad teams.

They have some good teams coming up on the schedule. I know what the most likely outcome is, but yea, we'll see. We'll perpetually see what happens.
They have also beaten good teams. Enough with the myth.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
  #108
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
They have also beaten good teams. Enough with the myth.
Pittsburgh and the 2nd game of the season vs. LA. Anything else.

Are you about to low-ball me with the expectation of a "good team?"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
  #109
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,560
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 Chiefs View Post
It's not unrealistic to say the team could easily win 3 of their next 4 games, either. Team lost a hard-fought game to The Debs on some bad bounces. Can't win every game. What you can do is play well enough to win in a loss, and I feel this was true against both the Devils and Ducks.
They should have wiped the floor with the Devils. The fact is outside of the Penguins and Kings games, this team has not beaten good teams (unless you want to include WAS).

The combined records of the teams they beat is 60-72-15.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
  #110
Machinehead
I Bring The Weather
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Corsi Nerd Thinktank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,579
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You can say what you want. Barring some outliers through 18 games, this is a .500 team that has lost to good teams, been in competitive struggles with mediocre teams, and has beaten some bad teams.

They have some good teams coming up on the schedule. I know what the most likely outcome is, but yea, we'll see. We'll perpetually see what happens.
We beat the yellow out of the Penguins' piss. Are they a bad team?

__________________

Ben Hutton is my Spirit Animal. Jeff Gorton is not.
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:18 PM
  #111
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,560
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
They have also beaten good teams. Enough with the myth.
They've also lost to the Flyers and Devils twice.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
  #112
Machinehead
I Bring The Weather
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Corsi Nerd Thinktank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,579
vCash: 50
Losing to the Devils isn't a talent issue, it's an intensity issue. The Devils treat every game against us like a finals game. We simply don't match that. What the Devils play against any other team and watch them play against the Rangers. Night and day.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
  #113
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 61,959
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
They have also beaten good teams. Enough with the myth.
This. Also, most NHL games are close. It's just the way it is nowadays with parity. Buffalo has beaten both LA and San Jose (IN SJ). Anaheim lost to Florida just last night.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
  #114
Thirty One
k.
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,053
vCash: 420
Hump thread, plos.

Do you guys really think that you're not a good team if you lose to a bad one?

Since the lockout, the teams that ended up first in the conference have gone 18-8-3 against teams that ended up last. One game is a very small sample.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:43 PM
  #115
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Pittsburgh and the 2nd game of the season vs. LA. Anything else.

Are you about to low-ball me with the expectation of a "good team?"
Detroit. Montreal. Short memory? Or is your definition of good teams limited to teams that made the conference finals last year?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  #116
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They should have wiped the floor with the Devils.
Devils/Rangers games don't follow any formula based on who is better and who is worse. Same as Rangers/Isles. Rangers/Flyers.

Using those games as any kind of measuring stick is beyond ridiculous.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:41 PM
  #117
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,560
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Montreal.
They were shut out by Montreal the only time they played them.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:42 PM
  #118
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,560
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Using those games as any kind of measuring stick is beyond ridiculous.
Of course it is. It's not convenient for your point.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:43 PM
  #119
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They were shut out by Montreal the only time they played them.
Meant Caps. Same score, different game. All shutouts recently between the teams.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:44 PM
  #120
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Of course it is. It's not convenient for your point.
I've believed that for a long time and stated it many, many times in PGTs over the years both after wins and losses.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:05 PM
  #121
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,757
vCash: 500
So we win 3 straight and have a tough loss against the devils our rivals who in my opinion no matter if we are first and they are the worst team in history will be a coin flip due to the rivalry, people think this isn't a good hockey team? This team competes every night, PP is better, offense in general is better and I think the defense will get better. The rangers are a playoff team and if you noticed last night the PANTHERS BEAT THE DUCKS. It happens, not every team beats every team they're supposed to

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:22 PM
  #122
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS View Post
So we win 3 straight and have a tough loss against the devils our rivals who in my opinion no matter if we are first and they are the worst team in history will be a coin flip due to the rivalry, people think this isn't a good hockey team? This team competes every night, PP is better, offense in general is better and I think the defense will get better. The rangers are a playoff team and if you noticed last night the PANTHERS BEAT THE DUCKS. It happens, not every team beats every team they're supposed to
I've heard so many people brag about the "uptempo" offense but it couldn't be farther from the truth. It's a small sample size and I expect the offense to get better but statistically our current offense is the most anemic offense of any Ranger team since the lockout BY FAR.

The Rangers are usually around 2.7 goals per game. They're currently at 2.27. That puts them on pace for 186 goals which is really bad.

Long story short, I don't understand why people are so impressed with their ability to score goals.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:29 PM
  #123
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I've heard so many people brag about the "uptempo" offense but it couldn't be farther from the truth. It's a small sample size and I expect the offense to get better but statistically our current offense is the most anemic offense of any Ranger team since the lockout BY FAR.

The Rangers are usually around 2.7 goals per game. They're currently at 2.27. That puts them on pace for 186 goals which is really bad.

Long story short, I don't understand why people are so impressed with their ability to score goals.
I'm not going to look up stats because the rangers offense on the road trip was anemic but over the last 10 I believe we have a few 5 goal games and a few 4 goal games? Your stat includes the road trip which I'd throw out the window because they were a totally different team. They'll average around 3 goals a game

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:35 PM
  #124
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS View Post
I'm not going to look up stats because the rangers offense on the road trip was anemic but over the last 10 I believe we have a few 5 goal games and a few 4 goal games? Your stat includes the road trip which I'd throw out the window because they were a totally different team. They'll average around 3 goals a game
Last 10 games.

Rangers have scored: 2, 4, 4, 5, 1, 5, 2, 3, 0, 3.

2.9 goals per game average.

It is small sample size of course.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:39 PM
  #125
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
I forgot we only count the good games. My mistake.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.