HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Calm Down Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2013, 01:18 AM
  #51
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,275
vCash: 500
Some things never change. Can't have optimism unless the team is performing well. the team always has a bad stretch in November and will get some guys healthy again and it will turn around. When this team goes on a winning streak the same people bashing them now will be shouting playoffs. The Islanders are an emotional roller coaster for some people. Now here's to hoping they turn it around soon!

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
  #52
Islander Prophet
Registered User
 
Islander Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
we haven't won a playoff series since 1993...enough said

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:59 AM
  #53
fishstick
Registered User
 
fishstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Funny how this thread should be about optimism and people come here to complain

I'm as disappointed as everyone else, but still hope they'll work this out as soon as some of the injured players come back. That Boston game they looked so good in can't just be a fluke.
Wouldn't mind to see Cappy gone though.

fishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
  #54
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 6,241
vCash: 500
We need to get at least one of Vis or Strait back. The D wasn't great before but it's AHL level right now. Strait would at least shore up the leaky PK.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:27 AM
  #55
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
While the defense is indeed limited in that most of the dmen are playing far more minutes than they should.... I am actually an AMAC fan, and know that our record over the past few years is much better with him in the lineup, he is also not a top pairing dman, he is a 3/4/5.

Ask yourselves this question, do you see Capuano getting this team to a Cup? And the reality is that he will never coach this team to a cup, meaning that you have to fire him at some point. You cannot fire him if he gets this team to the playoffs again and we lose in the first round, then you have the McClellan syndrome in San Jose, where he does enough to never get fired but San Jose will never win a cup with him as coach.

So, with the team struggling, I look at is a minor blessing in that, this is the time get rid of Capuano because he is not the long time answer. Teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston and Los Angeles pulled the triggers on their transitional coaches and at some point brought in the coach with the right resume. All four of the aforementioned teams brought in guys that never won a cup but were close to it.

Therefore my list of coaches is simply Ron Wilson or Jacques Martin. These guys have been close and are hungry. I like Laviolette a lot, but wrong fit for the team. Weight and Thompson are not ready to coach a team.

Team will actually play better when Viz and Strait return, I would call up CDH, at some point we have to see him on the ice

Viz/CDH
Hamonic/AMAC
Hickey/Strait

With a new coach and that defensive setup, we will make the playoffs, we do not want to make the playoffs again with Capuano as that means he will be back another year, he is not an NHL coach.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:46 AM
  #56
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 11,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
While the defense is indeed limited in that most of the dmen are playing far more minutes than they should.... I am actually an AMAC fan, and know that our record over the past few years is much better with him in the lineup, he is also not a top pairing dman, he is a 3/4/5.

Ask yourselves this question, do you see Capuano getting this team to a Cup? And the reality is that he will never coach this team to a cup, meaning that you have to fire him at some point. You cannot fire him if he gets this team to the playoffs again and we lose in the first round, then you have the McClellan syndrome in San Jose, where he does enough to never get fired but San Jose will never win a cup with him as coach.

So, with the team struggling, I look at is a minor blessing in that, this is the time get rid of Capuano because he is not the long time answer. Teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston and Los Angeles pulled the triggers on their transitional coaches and at some point brought in the coach with the right resume. All four of the aforementioned teams brought in guys that never won a cup but were close to it.

Therefore my list of coaches is simply Ron Wilson or Jacques Martin. These guys have been close and are hungry. I like Laviolette a lot, but wrong fit for the team. Weight and Thompson are not ready to coach a team.

Team will actually play better when Viz and Strait return, I would call up CDH, at some point we have to see him on the ice

Viz/CDH
Hamonic/AMAC
Hickey/Strait

With a new coach and that defensive setup, we will make the playoffs, we do not want to make the playoffs again with Capuano as that means he will be back another year, he is not an NHL coach.
SJ has never won a cup with ANY coach. Mclellan is not SJ's problem. If he was fired, he be scooped up rather quickly by a very wise team.

blitzkriegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
  #57
rikker
fan since '75.
 
rikker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
SJ has never won a cup with ANY coach. Mclellan is not SJ's problem. If he was fired, he be scooped up rather quickly by a very wise team.
according to some, you can be judged solely on your success rate. if that is the case, then, Mclellan = failure. fire him into the dumpster with Snow...

oh, maybe double standards exist here? hmmmm.....


Last edited by rikker: 11-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.
rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:27 PM
  #58
2LeftSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
This isn't overreacting, I think you're missing the point. Myself (and a few others) said in the offseason/preseaon that this team will NOT make the playoffs. They are NOT that good. Prospects don't mean anything if they never achieve their "potential".

You know what else is worrisome? We lost to (literally) 3 of the 5 worst teams in the LEAGUE so far.

Columbus (twice), Philly, Buffalo (we haven't played the other 2 in the bottom 5).

Our team isn't that good. Saying that doesn't make me a "chicken little"-it makes me realistic. Addressing scoring (the least of our problems) is NOT going to help. Bringing in a legit starting goaltending, a FEW more defensemen (not just 1) is what it's going to take.

We're currently in LAST PLACE in penalty killing, after SIX years of a rebuild? I think that merits some eyebrows to be raised and fingers to be pointed.
That is about all we are going to see.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  #59
Tavaresfan91
Registered User
 
Tavaresfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
I still am optimistic that they will turn it around, missing a few key guys just have to weather the storm. LETS GO ISLANDERS

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 07:07 PM
  #60
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 7,616
vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
I still am optimistic that they will turn it around, missing a few key guys just have to weather the storm. LETS GO ISLANDERS
Every team goes through injuries throughout a season. The good (and deep) teams prosper-the weaker and thinner teams don't.

Look at it this way: if losing ONE defensemen makes the team have the 30th PK in the league-were they really any good in the first place? I'd wager no.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 07:12 PM
  #61
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
SJ has never won a cup with ANY coach. Mclellan is not SJ's problem. If he was fired, he be scooped up rather quickly by a very wise team.
My point is that San Jose has not finished poorly or had a poor run where they can fire McClellan and bring in the man who will get them to the cup, arguably over the past 6 years, San Jose has been the best team in Hockey, they probably have more points than everyone, yet they can't get over the hump to even win the Western Conference, because they have a subpar coach.

Isles have golden opportunity to get rid of Capuano now while the chips are down, LA did it with Andy Murray, Chicago did it with Quenneville's predecessor.... Capuano has as much change of carrying the Islanders to the Stanley Cup as that smelly fan called Goldy

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.