HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Atlanta Braves moving to new Stadium in 2017

Old
11-11-2013, 01:30 PM
GuelphStormer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Puff View Post
It was from deadspin's page on the move. Either way though, the Braves aren't stupid. Seems unlikely they'd move away from where they feel their fanbase is. I don't see the incentive to lie. Cobb County is one of the absolute hotbeds for minor league baseball in all of the US. Seems like there's more money in and around that area too.

I wouldn't be happy as a taxpayer in Cobb County but the Braves definitely feel the meat of their fan base is there and I have been to Turner Field once and the stadium looked quite nice but my experience coming/going was quite bad.
there is all the incentive in the world to lie when public money is on the line. not saying that anyone is or is not stretching the truth about where the fans live, im just saying that when information is packaged up neatly like this, I always have to wonder: who produced it and what is their stake in the game, and where did the original data come from?

discussion preceding every publicly funded venue is often chock full of hyperbole and spin designed to make a point. this map sure does make a point, so Im just wondering about its context, etc.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

What I get from that map myself is that it may have been very applicable to the Thrashers' base as well.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Kitsune

I'm not really surprised ... it was the main stadium for the olympics and was converted into a baseball stadium afterwards. I can see Olympic stadiums getting converted into Football, Soccer stadiums afterwards, but baseball? I bet that why its need so much renovations to make it Fan Friendly.

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
I'm not really surprised ... it was the main stadium for the olympics and was converted into a baseball stadium afterwards. I can see Olympic stadiums getting converted into Football, Soccer stadiums afterwards, but baseball? I bet that why its need so much renovations to make it Fan Friendly.

I think I agree with the poster who mentioned the ill-advised justification for cities to spend billions of dollars on infrastructure for one event, namely the Olympics. Multi-purpose is difficult to do, and choice of location for teams or functions thereafter don't necessarily fit in with what was needed to host an Olympics Games.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:15 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Except it was clearly built with the intent for baseball from day 1. Look at the shape of this thing. It's not a round football stadium.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Except it was clearly built with the intent for baseball from day 1. Look at the shape of this thing. It's not a round football stadium.

What about location and what's around it?

Old
11-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I went in April while visiting my brother.. There's nothing around it really.. Certainly not in the "city" part of the Atlanta.. It's right off the highway and easy to get to, but ATL traffic is apparently horrific at rush hour so I can see why going on a weeknight would be awful

From a stadium standpoint, seemed fine to me.. It had all the amenities of any more current stadium I've been to (even had a restaurant).. I really can't see what the "need" for this was other than a better location for weeknight games, but I guess they have money to spend

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:31 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Such a waste. Moving to the suburbs for an 81 game schedule should have a negative effect on attendance, as well.
Most of "Atlanta" residents live in the suburbs. The city is actually ridiculously small population wise, at least when you think of the word "city"

It will help more than it will hurt.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:38 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Yeah, apparently both are awful. While this a lot about the Braves moving toward their fanbase, it also seems a lot about them sticking it to the city for the lack of infrastructure in the area IE: train stop, restaurants, shopping, etc etc.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:41 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

The Braves need this. The biggest problems currently are access (no MARTA stop and it's surrounded by residential streets) and the fact that it's located in a no-so-great part of town. Aside from the game itself, there is no reason to be anywhere near the stadium. A ton of people have to resort to parking in make-shift front yards and residential owned lots. It's sketchy as hell.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:42 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Yeah, apparently both are awful. While this a lot about the Braves moving toward their fanbase, it also seems a lot about them sticking it to the city for the lack of infrastructure in the area IE: train stop, restaurants, shopping, etc etc.
I'm pretty sure it's both. Hard to prove the latter argument though.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
What are you talking about? They are the stadium operator, they control the rights to operate the stadium...
They are not getting any money from the stadium right now according to ownership. So unless you know something Liberty Media does not...

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:47 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Puff View Post
It was from deadspin's page on the move. Either way though, the Braves aren't stupid. Seems unlikely they'd move away from where they feel their fanbase is. I don't see the incentive to lie. Cobb County is one of the absolute hotbeds for minor league baseball in all of the US. Seems like there's more money in and around that area too.

I wouldn't be happy as a taxpayer in Cobb County but the Braves definitely feel the meat of their fan base is there and I have been to Turner Field once and the stadium looked quite nice but my experience coming/going was quite bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
there is all the incentive in the world to lie when public money is on the line. not saying that anyone is or is not stretching the truth about where the fans live, im just saying that when information is packaged up neatly like this, I always have to wonder: who produced it and what is their stake in the game, and where did the original data come from?

discussion preceding every publicly funded venue is often chock full of hyperbole and spin designed to make a point. this map sure does make a point, so Im just wondering about its context, etc.
The map was produced by the Braves.

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/braves-ticket-buyers/

Quote:
Who buys Atlanta Braves tickets

The Atlanta Braves released this map showing where their ticket sales come from and where their current and future stadiums will be located.

edit:

It looks like the source is the Braves new website on the new stadium: www.homeofthebraves.com

Quote:
The new stadium will be situated in the heart of Braves Country. Each red dot on this map represents a ticket sold to a Braves game in 2012

Last edited by kdb209: 11-11-2013 at 02:54 PM.
kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:48 PM
go_leafs_go02

Wonder if this will start the next stadium wave, where teams move merely to come central to their fanbase.
Makes me feel old, since i easily remember the 1996 olympics...

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Nothing Is New

Quote:
What I get from that map myself is that it may have been very applicable to the Thrashers' base as well.

Give the man a cigar! As a matter of fact, back in about 1996 there were two rivals for the Atlanta NHL franchise - Ted Turner and a guy named Adler. Turner's idea on location was about as downtown as you could get. Adler had a site selected at the intersection of I-85 and I-75 -north - very near the location of the new Braves stadium. Turner's big bucks and TV leverage won out.

BTW, the logistics of going to games at the Ted (current Braves stadium) are horrible and it is so shoe-horned in among low income housing and downtown institutional improvements, that there is almost no elbow room to do anything about it. Its always been a detriment for the Braves. In particular, week night attendance should improve at the new stadium.
Downtown will have the Hawks and the new (also opening 2017) Falcons stadium and the burbs (only 10 miles apart) will have the Braves.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Give that Puffer Fish a cigar ...

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:09 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Wonder if this will start the next stadium wave, where teams move merely to come central to their fanbase.
Makes me feel old, since i easily remember the 1996 olympics...
I doubt that. Most of the new stadiums have longer leases than the Braves.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:18 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
They are not getting any money from the stadium right now according to ownership. So unless you know something Liberty Media does not...
What do you mean by 'getting money'? They control the ticket prices, concessions, etc. They're the operator, they pay rent in order to operate it.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Mightygoose

Apparently, the funding from Cobb Co. is 450 mil.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...n-cobb-county/

The city would (or could) not match the offer according to Mayor Reed.

Quote:
“We have been working very hard with the Braves for a long time, and at the end of the day, there was simply no way the team was going to stay in downtown Atlanta without city taxpayers spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make that happen,” he said in a statement. “It is my understanding that our neighbour, Cobb County, made a strong offer of $450 (million) in public support to the Braves and we are simply unwilling to match that with taxpayer dollars.”
It's refreshing when a city says 'enough'.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
go_leafs_go02

Cobb County sounds like Glendale!

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
It's refreshing when a city says 'enough'.
Based on the time frame, I assume the city chose to put money towards the new Falcons stadium (not much older '92) over the Braves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Cobb County sounds like Glendale!
I believe I read that the $450 mil will be supported by private investment. I'll try to find that...

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:06 PM
hisgirlfriday

Another taxpayer ripoff by a pro sports team. $450 million? What a joke. So glad that Wrigleys landmark/sentimental status has thus far saved us Illinois taxpayers from getting ripped off the same way by the Ricketts family clowns.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

****ing hell it's going right by my house. traffic is going to be a nightmare. though the area should be much better for people to come to games than turner field. coming from the north to turner field is horrid if it's a decently attended game. still, not too happy about this. (also assuming our taxes are going to go up as cobb county will need to invest a ton more in their public transport (which currently is awful) as well as the stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Absoloutley stunning that we're now seeing stadiums that were built in the 90's now looking at being replaced. Second one for Atlanta alone.

Also, the suburban location seems to buck the trend of the newer ballbarks in the last 25 years being built downtown.
it's not technically atlanta, but it is hardly suburban. atlanta as a city is so spread out and suffers so badly from urban sprawl that pretty much anything within 15 miles of the perimeter could be considered part of the city.

Last edited by Rhodes 81: 11-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:32 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
****ing hell it's going right by my house. traffic is going to be a nightmare. though the area should be much better for people to come to games than turner field. coming from the north to turner field is horrid if it's a decently attended game. still, not too happy about this. (also assuming our taxes are going to go up as cobb county will need to invest a ton more in their public transport (which currently is awful) as well as the stadium.

it's not technically atlanta, but it is hardly suburban. atlanta as a city is so spread out and suffers so badly from urban sprawl that pretty much anything within 15 miles of the perimeter could be considered part of the city.
lol Sucks for you!!! I'm at the other end of Cobb county. In Kennesaw right near Woodstock. This is nuts though. I still vaguely remember '96 and the Olympics. Can't believe they're leaving Turner field.

EDIT: Dear god the traffic could be absolutely horrendous...

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
htpwn

Better Idea: Donate the $625 million to Charity. At least then it will be put to good use.

That amount of cash can solve a whole lot of access, aesthetics, etc. issues.

This seems so unnecessary, so redundant, its just mind-boggling.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote