HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Atlanta Braves moving to new Stadium in 2017

Old
11-11-2013, 06:25 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Puff View Post
Here's a map of the 2012 Braves ticket purchasers,

It's about 12 miles from Turner Field and if anything it's close to the meat of their fanbase.
Out of curiosity, where on that map would Coolray Field be? It'd be interesting to see the proximity to Atlanta's AAA club will be.

11-11-2013, 06:48 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Out of curiosity, where on that map would Coolray Field be? It'd be interesting to see the proximity to Atlanta's AAA club will be.
Higher resolution so you can see the zip codes. It's 30046 Northwest of Turner Field.

http://homeofthebraves.com/wp-conten...s/heat-map.jpg

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Was the Braves Turner Field used in the Olympics?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:05 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Was the Braves Turner Field used in the Olympics?
Yes that was where the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field events were held.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:30 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Higher resolution so you can see the zip codes. It's 30046 Northwest of Turner Field.

http://homeofthebraves.com/wp-conten...s/heat-map.jpg
I think you mean Northeast but thanks - it does help provide a good amount of clarity. I almost wonder if they may not try to relocate their AAA club elsewhere so as to minimize competition. IIRC Coolray was built on the cheap anyway

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:37 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I think you mean Northeast but thanks - it does help provide a good amount of clarity. I almost wonder if they may not try to relocate their AAA club elsewhere so as to minimize competition. IIRC Coolray was built on the cheap anyway
Of course Northeast. I have no idea where I got Northwest from.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:47 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

There is a shuttle from one of the MARTA stations to and from the stadium.

Unless there are plans to build MARTA into the area they are moving into, I can't see how this makes sense from a traffic standpoint. I saw that map and I get the Braves have a majority of their fans on the north side of the metro but who is going to want to fight all that traffic getting to a game?

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Doan Jidion*

This makes me want to puke.

Doan Jidion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Critical take from the Atlantic Cities: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...diculous/7547/

Atlanta (not just with this but with a lot of other recent decisions as well) really does seem to be going all-in on sprawl, which is the opposite of what most major cities around the country are doing. It's a bit troubling to me and I'm curious to see how it all turns out.

This does have a Glendale ring to it.

11-12-2013, 12:36 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Here's a map of the 2012 Braves ticket purchasers,

It's about 12 miles from Turner Field and if anything it's close to the meat of their fanbase.
I want to see a map like this to go with every future stadium proposal/relocation.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Wonder if this will start the next stadium wave, where teams move merely to come central to their fanbase.
Makes me feel old, since i easily remember the 1996 olympics...
I don't think so. Atlanta is behaving weirdly, replacing not-old-at-all stadiums. Also, public money. Word is Cobb County will be footing around 2/3rds of the bill. Many cities and metros don't like public funding of billionaires and there's that report that came out that sports stadiums don't have the impact previously thought. Also, instances like Loria of the Marlins taking the county to the cleaners in paying for most of the stadium come to mind. If baseball teams start asking for cities/counties to fund most of a new ballpark, particularly when the majority just got new ballparks (or renovated older ballparks, like Anaheim, Kansas City, I think LA, and like Wrigley Field is trying to do), I think they're going to be running into a brick wall. The only reason the Braves are moving is because Cobb County's government was willing to fund the stadium.

The only outstanding issues with ballparks that I'm aware of.
- The Rays' attendance issues in St. Petersburg. Even when competitive they can't fill the ballpark on weekend days or summer nights. I've read the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have less than stellar attendance despite being in Tampa. Only the Tampa Bay Lightning (based on Tampa) have good to great attendance relative to their league. Note that the Rays have one of the few pre-retro modern (started with the Orioles, though 1991's New Comiskey Park, while not retro modern in style, was modern in amenities), non-renovated ballparks still in operation (A's, Rays, Blue Jays are the 3. Wrigley had some skybox, et al construction previously).

- The A's. The whole San Jose territorial mess and the fact they're playing in a crumbling stadium which had 2 septic leaks flood the clubhouse/dugout with sewage/backflow. The stadium apparently hasn't gotten a major upgrade other than seating capacity to bring back the Raiders.

- The Cubs are trying to do major renovations (renovate their incredibly antequated clubhouses, add a jumbotron, more advertising), and the landmark commission approved the changes and shaped them so they don't impact what is considered historic at Wrigley, but the threat of a lawsuit from the rooftops across the street, which signed a 20 year deal with the Cubs back in 2003 for unrestricted views in exchange for giving the Cubs a cut of their revenue apparently has caused construction to not even begin.

Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 04:45 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
A lot of the problem is the surrounding area, there's nothing really around it (walking distance) and it's a massive pain to get into and out of. From what I understand the team was promised a lot from the city about projects to make the area a whole lot better, which was never followed through on.

Odd timing, in that it's so close to the building of the last building but the options were either pay a lot of money to upgrade Turner Field (infrastructure, not fan experience) and sign another long term lease or leave after 20 years. The optics are pretty bad. Turner Field was not built for baseball though, it was built for the Olympics and converted to baseball. It's too big, awkwardly placed and IMO the viewing angles weren't great. With that said, still VERY surprising.
LOL sounds exactly like Canadian Tire Centre. Unfortunately, everyone still argues there "was no other option".

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Bongo

I think it's a shakedown. Although Cobb is said to be putting up 75% of the money, we're not sure who's being taken. As for the new proposed location; it has worse traffic problems than Turner Field and NO public transportation. The surrounding area is expressways and office parks

Turner Field is a state of the art baseball facility. It's a beautiful ball park with excellent sight lines.

Our city elections were last Tuesday. No word of this till yesterday tells me something stinks worse than last weeks socks.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:27 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
LOL sounds exactly like Canadian Tire Centre. Unfortunately, everyone still argues there "was no other option".
The other options were to put it in Quebec (lac leamey) or somehow force the ncc to cooperate.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:35 AM
cutchemist42

So this new location is your traditional American suburb like Glendale? Based off a few people here, this new location actually doesn't even sound that great.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:39 AM
cutchemist42

Also, Deadspin went ahd charted new MLB stadiums and their distances from each respective city centre. Interesting to see.

http://deadspin.com/chart-how-the-br...her-1462494338

Old
11-12-2013, 09:54 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
So this new location is your traditional American suburb like Glendale? Based off a few people here, this new location actually doesn't even sound that great.
How far is Glendale from the city center? This site is only 10 miles from Atlanta's CBD.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
The other options were to put it in Quebec (lac leamey) or somehow force the ncc to cooperate.
I think my point is more so that Ottawa deals with it perfectly fine. In fact we've dealt with having one pro sports venue in the middle of nowhere for roughly a decade. Must be nice to be a city with the finances to throw up a giant 50,000 seat sports stadium every few years...

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:12 AM
cutchemist42

Less serious take on it....

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/...f-turner-field

BTW, could Turner be converted into a soccer (MLS) or football stadium for a smaller school?

Old
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Less serious take on it....

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/...f-turner-field

BTW, could Turner be converted into a soccer (MLS) or football stadium for a smaller school?
I guess physically it could. The problem is, the same issues that are driving out the Braves will still exist. I'll leave out the access issue as it may not be as big of a deal with other sports. The issue is the area surrounding the stadium. It's a high crime area with no other reason, other than the game, to be anywhere near there. There is no retail, restaurants, or other entertainment there. The city controls the surrounding land (including the parking) and has promised the Braves new development for the last decade or more and have not come remotely close to even one building.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:08 PM
MotorCityBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
You know you're getting old when you can remember a Major League Baseball team playing in the ballpark before the one they're about to move out of.
Or the one before that--Milwaukee County Stadium.

MotorCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Dirty Old Man
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
How far is Glendale from the city center? This site is only 10 miles from Atlanta's CBD.
15-20 miles.

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:36 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityBoy View Post
Or the one before that--Milwaukee County Stadium.
Does Fenway Park count? Only played there for two years though in 1914 & 1915 but they have played there recently.

wildthing202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
15-20 miles.
See for yourselves...

http://www.maps.com/radiusmaps.aspx

Glendale falls in the ten mile radius from Phoenix.

However, to the UoP, Jobing.com, and Westgate complex, add two for a total of 12 miles.

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:48 PM
cutchemist42

Well the answer of converting it has been answered for me, Turner Field is being torn down after.