HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What I'm hoping plays out...

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
If guys don't slide, what else do you suggest? Its either them or others who are equally on par with them like Setoguchi/Stoa/Bertram...I think Cogliano is one of the few guys around our pick that has the most flash but I'd say 16 is too early.
Exactly. To me, if Bourret, Lee, Mikkleson, and Niskanen are all gone then I say trade down to around 20-25 and pick up another 2nd round pick, hopefully in the 30-40 range.

Old
07-23-2005, 10:43 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille!
Mihalik will be there later or even in the 3rd round. He's not a good skater really at all. Finley is a great skater for his size and pretty mobile. Much smarter player from what I've read.

Finley needs to be taken at that pick. If Smolenak is around at 40/41 we can take him with the 2nd and pick up Trukhno later on the board. But I'll be VERY dissapointed if this team passes on Finley.
I've read Finely does not have great skating at all. His skating is almost similar to Mihalik, which I was i said both was a huge risk.

Old
07-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
I've read Finely does not have great skating at all. His skating is almost similar to Mihalik, which I was i said both was a huge risk.

For his SIZE he has great skating.

The dude isn't a lumbering idiot. His turning and mobility are REALLY impressive for a kid that beastly. Even if he doesn't have lightspeed level speed, he's not going to get beat because he can't even turn around. That's what made a player like Kudroc so useless (and I've heard that Mihalik plays a game just like Kudroc -- which is one of the reasons I'd be VERY hesitant of a player like that).

Old
07-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
For his SIZE he has great skating.

The dude isn't a lumbering idiot. His turning and mobility are REALLY impressive for a kid that beastly. Even if he doesn't have lightspeed level speed, he's not going to get beat because he can't even turn around. That's what made a player like Kudroc so useless (and I've heard that Mihalik plays a game just like Kudroc -- which is one of the reasons I'd be VERY hesitant of a player like that).
There was a write up on Finley and for all his height, he works damn hard in the weight room. Thats a plus for me, hard work and packing on pounds to Punish.

Old
07-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Exactly. To me, if Bourret, Lee, Mikkleson, and Niskanen are all gone then I say trade down to around 20-25 and pick up another 2nd round pick, hopefully in the 30-40 range.
You see, Mikkelson scares me. Theres this guy Sauer thats picking up steam and people have said that he played better than Brendan before he got hurt. That would make me want to scrap Mikkelson at 16 on TOP of being interested in Sauer at our second round picks. Sauer is invited to the USA WJC camp as well.

Old
07-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Finley is also my #2 d-man on the Rangers and forced Tyutin to be traded with his stellar play in my season in NHL:EHM 2005.

Dude is a beast. 50 points his 2nd year and 190 PIMS.

Old
07-24-2005, 06:37 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
He's a MONSTER. One of the strongers players I have seen (I saw a game when I was out in the midwest on tour with my friend's band earlier in the year) who combines that ridiculous strength with his speed and mobility for his size. The dude is simply under the rader now in the USHL and is a monster. If we don't take him in that 2nd round early, he will be gone. He might even be a 1st rounder. One of my favorite players in the draft.

A Valabik that can skate? Would you expect him to be around at 41?

Old
07-24-2005, 10:42 AM
BLACKBURN

With the increase of speed in the game a lot of eams will get smaller and fstaer. However if this guy is that big and can actually kep up you gotta think he's a Cairns at WORST. I like the sound of a stud like that!

Old
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Onion Boy

Joe Finley is an attractive pick, but I'd hold off until the 3rd round. You want a mobile big-man on D who has good offensive upside, look at Sasha Pokulok. Now he's a player I wouldn't mind taking at 45.

Old
07-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
You see, Mikkelson scares me. Theres this guy Sauer thats picking up steam and people have said that he played better than Brendan before he got hurt. That would make me want to scrap Mikkelson at 16 on TOP of being interested in Sauer at our second round picks. Sauer is invited to the USA WJC camp as well.
I heard Michael Sauer wasn't going to opt-in this year because of injuries/surgery.

Old
07-24-2005, 01:59 PM
GraveyTrain09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Joe Finley is an attractive pick, but I'd hold off until the 3rd round. You want a mobile big-man on D who has good offensive upside, look at Sasha Pokulok. Now he's a player I wouldn't mind taking at 45.
The way our farm looks right now, Id like to look more into defensive defencman. Since Beuk, we really havnt had a guy who came clear the zone. Plus with prospects such as kondratiev, tyutin, and pock who all are more offensive minded, i dont think it would hurt to take Finley with one of our 3 picks in the second.

Old
07-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveyTrain09
The way our farm looks right now, Id like to look more into defensive defencman. Since Beuk, we really havnt had a guy who came clear the zone. Plus with prospects such as kondratiev, tyutin, and pock who all are more offensive minded, i dont think it would hurt to take Finley with one of our 3 picks in the second.
Really? My assessment is completely different. Besides Pock, I think we lack any bonafide offensive d-man. Tyutin has a great skillset, but I personally think he'll settle into more of a two-way role with more emphasis on staying back. He'd make a great partner for a more offensively-minded defenseman. Kondratiev is similar, though his offense and defense are a step below Tyutin's. Neither is gonna put up big numbers in the NHL. Baranka is the only other guy I'd consider a two-way d-man. Liffiton, Taylor, Guenin, Potter, and Furrer are all really defensive defensemen.

If anything, we need a prospect who can play a no.1 offensive role on D. That's why I really think we should target Mikkelson and Lee in the first round.

Pokulok isn't really an offensive d-man, but I think he has much better upside than Finley. He has him beat in pretty much every category except toughness.

Old
07-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Really? My assessment is completely different. Besides Pock, I think we lack any bonafide offensive d-man. Tyutin has a great skillset, but I personally think he'll settle into more of a two-way role with more emphasis on staying back. He'd make a great partner for a more offensively-minded defenseman. Kondratiev is similar, though his offense and defense are a step below Tyutin's. Neither is gonna put up big numbers in the NHL. Baranka is the only other guy I'd consider a two-way d-man. Liffiton, Taylor, Guenin, Potter, and Furrer are all really defensive defensemen.

If anything, we need a prospect who can play a no.1 offensive role on D. That's why I really think we should target Mikkelson and Lee in the first round.
You couldn't have described it better. That's exactly the way I look at it. I have Pock as the only offensive dman. I've got Tyutin, Kondratiev, Baranka, Reese, and Paiement as two way dmen. And then Lampman, Guenin, Taylor, Liffiton and Potter as stay at homers. We sorely lack a true offensive threat from D. With that being said I definately don't want another Poti just to have some skill from the backend.

Quote:

Pokulok isn't really an offensive d-man, but I think he has much better upside than Finley. He has him beat in pretty much every category except toughness.
How good a skater is Pokulok? I'd like a smooth skating monster in the second round. Do you see a mean streak in him?

Old
07-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
You couldn't have described it better. That's exactly the way I look at it. I have Pock as the only offensive dman. I've got Tyutin, Kondratiev, Baranka, Reese, and Paiement as two way dmen. And then Lampman, Guenin, Taylor, Liffiton and Potter as stay at homers. We sorely lack a true offensive threat from D. With that being said I definately don't want another Poti just to have some skill from the backend.

How good a skater is Pokulok? I'd like a smooth skating monster in the second round. Do you see a mean streak in him?
He's a decent skater for a big man, but not outstanding. He's a bit on the slow side, but has a powerful stride. He's not a physical beast, but he uses his size very effectively. He's got good defensive coverage in his own zone as well, even if he doesn't play a punishing game. What scouts seem to really like is his ability to jump up at the right time. He's got a great reach, good passing skills, and a great shot. Slightly risky pick, but has great upside. I've heard comparisons to Mike Rathje. I wouldn't hesitate taking him in the 2nd. I was kind of suprised to see him as a first rounder on HF's mock draft, but I guess anything's possible. Should be a early/mid 2nd rounder I would think.

Old
07-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Yea Pokulok seems like a good gamble.

What the Rangers really need IMO is that one offensive or defensive player to give us tremendous gains. For example a Phaneuf, Carter, Getzlaf, or Richards. Someone who exceeds expectations to be a stud prospect. Sure we had Lundqvuist and as a fan I'm grateful for his unearthing in the seventh round but we need to strike gold bigtime again seeing as our position isnt the greatest.

Old
07-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Yea Pokulok seems like a good gamble.

What the Rangers really need IMO is that one offensive or defensive player to give us tremendous gains. For example a Phaneuf, Carter, Getzlaf, or Richards. Someone who exceeds expectations to be a stud prospect. Sure we had Lundqvuist and as a fan I'm grateful for his unearthing in the seventh round but we need to strike gold bigtime again seeing as our position isnt the greatest.
The guy who, IMO, fits the bill perfectly is Ryan Stoa. He's been kind of overshadowed by Kessel and Mueller. While Jack Skille plays a more hard-nosed game which scouts like, I think Stoa is right up there in terms of ability. Stoa is a big, slick playmaking center (might switch to wing) who has incredible vision. He's a great bet to see his post-draft stock rise tremendously.

Assuming the first 15 picks more or less follow the consensus (big if), my pick at 16 would without a doubt be Ryan Stoa.

Old
07-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Levitate

stoa sounds like the kind of guy who hasn't put it together yet, but could

another gamble, but at 16...almost anyone is a gamble

Old
07-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
The guy who, IMO, fits the bill perfectly is Ryan Stoa. He's been kind of overshadowed by Kessel and Mueller. While Jack Skille plays a more hard-nosed game which scouts like, I think Stoa is right up there in terms of ability. Stoa is a big, slick playmaking center (might switch to wing) who has incredible vision. He's a great bet to see his post-draft stock rise tremendously.

Assuming the first 15 picks more or less follow the consensus (big if), my pick at 16 would without a doubt be Ryan Stoa.
I've read that he's played indifferent and avoids the physical side of the game. Should there be reason to suspect his drive?

Old
07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
I've read that he's played indifferent and avoids the physical side of the game. Should there be reason to suspect his drive?
I think those that watch Stoa are biased because they're also there to watch Skille and there's no doubt that Skille is much more of a physical force than Stoa. Stoa doesn't throw a ton of hits, but he uses his size effectively. On the PP he's pretty much impossible to move from the top of the crease. He's also good at driving hard to the net and chipping in garbage goals. The key with Stoa is that he can play a powerforward game, but he also has incredible hockey sense and vision for a guy his size. Much better than Skille, IMO, though some teams might be inclined towards Skille because he will definately play in the NHL whereas Stoa has a slight boom/bust quality to him. Stoa should really stand out at Minnesota next year.

Old
07-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
stoa sounds like the kind of guy who hasn't put it together yet, but could

another gamble, but at 16...almost anyone is a gamble
He's already put it together enough to be neck and neck statistically with Skille. Stoa definitely has a ton of untapped potential though and could really emerge as an offensive force in college.

Old
07-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
He won't be there in the third round. If we took him AND Pokulok in the 2nd I wouldn't be opposed to it, either.

Old
07-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
He won't be there in the third round. If we took him AND Pokulok in the 2nd I wouldn't be opposed to it, either.
I actually have a good feeling Finley might be available that late, but that's not the point. What I meant was, I wouldn't take him until the 3rd. There are several players I'd take before him.

Just because he dominates in NHL:EHM doesn't mean he'll do well in real life. j/k

Old
07-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Barnaby

I like Abdelkader personally. I'd be very happy if we grabbed him with our first pick in the 2nd round.

Old
07-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Draft Guru

We will draft Joe Barnes, C, Saskatoon (WHL) in the 2nd round. Bet your house on it.

Old
07-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I like Abdelkader personally. I'd be very happy if we grabbed him with our first pick in the 2nd round.
Abdelkader is a huge favorite of mine as well. Got him ranked all the way up at 25. Wouldn't think twice about grabbing him at 40. Only problem is he may not last that long.

Closed Thread