HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Bettman: Expectations for record revenue

Old
11-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

vCash: 500
Bettman: Expectations for record revenue

From the PrimeTime Sports Management Conference and Trade Show yesterday

Quote:
According to Commissioner Bettman, preliminary data suggests the League is on pace to set a record for revenue this season. The current record is $3.3 billion, which the League took in during the 2011-12 season.

"The preliminary data, and it's preliminary, looks strong, but I'm not comfortable with disclosing it at this point," Commissioner Bettman said.

He said the League is playing to approximately 95 percent capacity in all arenas and that television ratings are on the rise in most markets, both locally and nationally.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:16 AM
viper0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
From the PrimeTime Sports Management Conference and Trade Show yesterday

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

"He said the League is playing to approximately 95 percent capacity in all arenas"

Is there any source, any data to back this claim up because when you see some teams(I will not name any) their arenas are half empty. We all knew that that revenue's were going to go up because of the new Canadian TV contract and mostly because the Canadian teams are bringing most of the revenue's.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Pilky01

This is great news for people who like lockouts.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:20 AM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
"He said the League is playing to approximately 95 percent capacity in all arenas"

Is there any source, any data to back this claim up because when you see some teams(I will not name any) their arenas are half empty. We all knew that that revenue's were going to go up because of the new Canadian TV contract and mostly because the Canadian teams are bringing most of the revenue's.
For the sake of argument, he could simply be using the average announced attendance, which might not be far off.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
For the sake of argument, he could simply be using the average announced attendance, which might not be far off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post

The average, based on the OVERALL attendance (both HOME and AWAY) is: 94.25.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

There are Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Bongo

If Gary Bettman said the sun rises in the East and the sky is blue; I still wouldn't believe it. This man's credibility is worse than that of a congressman.

I remember all those times he said "The League has never been healthier. Every franchise is doing record business." And who can ever forget this immortal line; "The NHL is back in Atlanta to stay. There are no plans to move this franchise."

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:10 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
This is great news for people who like lockouts.
Yup.

Remember when so many people were predicting that that last lockout would cause irreparable harm for the league?

Wonder if those same people are going to be making those claims during the next lockout that will definitely happen when this CBA expires because fans haven't given any incentive to them to try to avoid work stoppages yet...

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limits of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:16 AM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
The average, based on the OVERALL attendance (both HOME and AWAY) is: 94.25.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

There are Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics...

There ya go; not that I find those numbers particularly trustworthy or valuable.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yup.

Remember when so many people were predicting that that last lockout would cause irreparable harm for the league?

Wonder if those same people are going to be making those claims during the next lockout that will definitely happen when this CBA expires because fans haven't given any incentive to them to try to avoid work stoppages yet...
Yep. The league knows for sure now that every 7-8 years they can take a 4-8 month sabbatical, during which time the poorer owners save some money, and at the end of it, all of the owners get to share in a 10-20% claw back of the salary commitments they made over the course of the CBA.

Everybody (except for the players and the fans) wins!

Old
11-12-2013, 09:49 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

There is a difference between marketing a team directly and having a winning product on the ice. People in Edmonton are starting to slowly realize it.

Last edited by Killion: 11-12-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: quoted del...
PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:57 AM
viper0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
There is a difference between marketing a team directly and having a winning product on the ice. People in Edmonton are starting to slowly realize it.

Even when you don't put a winning product on the ice and you market your team well you can do things finically(just ask the Toronto Maple Leafs ). Edmonton is selling out it's building by th way.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Dirty Old Man
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Yes, how ironic is that, eh? The only way Winnipeg gets a playoff team may be.... to send a message to ownership by not showing up to games

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Pilky01

The Maple Leafs are an example for nobody. They don't make money because they are marketed correctly. They make money because there is a bigger disparity between supply and demand than basically any other entertainment product on earth.

The Maple Leafs do well because of external factors. End of story.

Last edited by Killion: 11-12-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: quoted del..
Old
11-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Yep. The league knows for sure now that every 7-8 years they can take a 4-8 month sabbatical, during which time the poorer owners save some money, and at the end of it, all of the owners get to share in a 10-20% claw back of the salary commitments they made over the course of the CBA.

Everybody (except for the players and the fans) wins!
That pretty much sums it up. When Bettman was asked if he was concerned of the ramifications during the last lockout, he wasn't because ' NHL fans are be best in the world'.. I guess at the end of the day he was right

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Yes, how ironic is that, eh? The only way Winnipeg gets a playoff team may be.... to send a message to ownership by not showing up to games
And GB already threatened to move the team if the building doesn't sell out.

Old
11-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
If Gary Bettman said the sun rises in the East and the sky is blue; I still wouldn't believe it. This man's credibility is worse than that of a congressman.

I remember all those times he said "The League has never been healthier. Every franchise is doing record business." And who can ever forget this immortal line; "The NHL is back in Atlanta to stay. There are no plans to move this franchise."
A google search of this quote found only one result - this post where you claim Bettman said that. Who's credibility is shot now?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:52 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yup.

I'm not sure fans have that much power either way. Show up, or don't show up, and the owners and the PA will either be fighting over a larger pie, or fighting, possibly even more viciously, over a smaller pie.

The bright side in the work stoppages is that it's going back the other way. There was a short strike, then a half season missed, then a full season, then a half season. Maybe the work stoppages hit their peak in 2005.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:04 PM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
How else could you defend paying thousands of dollars for a seat to watch a losing product and know that there will gladly be 5 others to take your place?

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
A google search of this quote found only one result - this post where you claim Bettman said that. Who's credibility is shot now?

The infamous comment was made in Jan/Feb before Moyes put the Coyotes into BK court. It was along the lines that the media was making things up and that all 30 franchises had the opportunity to thrive thanks to the new economic landscape-- or something lawyer-speakish.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:29 PM
cbcwpg

It's funny how you get the positive spin from Bettmen on revenues going up, but never any comment on how those increasing revenues are going to hurt the bottom half of the league, when the salary cap floor has to come along for the ride....

Oh yeah.... That's what the next lockout will address.... sorry, I forgot.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post

Record business doesn't mean record profits.

So it's his fault that the owners did everything possible to get the team out of the building, and thus out of town.

11-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The infamous comment was made in Jan/Feb before Moyes put the Coyotes into BK court. It was along the lines that the media was making things up and that all 30 franchises had the opportunity to thrive thanks to the new economic landscape-- or something lawyer-speakish.
The use of quotation marks implies a quote, not 'Gee whiz, well he kinda sorta said something to that effect, and what I typed is a close enough hallucination of what I think he said'.

'Every team has the opportunity to thrive' and 'every team is doing record business' aren't even in the same universe.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
The use of quotation marks implies a quote, not 'Gee whiz, well he kinda sorta said something to that effect, and what I typed is a close enough hallucination of what I think he said'.

'Every team has the opportunity to thrive' and 'every team is doing record business' aren't even in the same universe.
Well hopefully someone with a little more time today and good search skills can find the original quote. It's always entertaining, at least.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:36 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
I'm not sure fans have that much power either way. Show up, or don't show up, and the owners and the PA will either be fighting over a larger pie, or fighting, possibly even more viciously, over a smaller pie.

The bright side in the work stoppages is that it's going back the other way. There was a short strike, then a half season missed, then a full season, then a half season. Maybe the work stoppages hit their peak in 2005.
Major League Baseball used to be the most labor contentious league out there. Then they had a massive, multi-year fan backlash that resulted in big declines in revenue and attendance that lasted until the home run chase, which scared both players and owners alike.

Now they've had 20 years of labor peace.

Fans do have a voice if they're willing to not be taken for granted, and so far NHL fans have shown a willingness to come running back like it never happened. MLB fears the consequences of a work stoppage, the NHL doesn't.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:45 PM
htpwn

Oh look, jolly Bettman is back.

"Everything's the greatest of the great greats. Record Revenues! Record Attendance!"

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote