HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brock Nelson

Old
11-19-2013, 09:12 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
I think Nelson has talent but I think the thing I'm most impressed with so far is his willingness to get to the dirty areas in front of the net and compete. There are kids all over the world with a lot of talent but you make a living in the NHL in front of the net IMO. Nelson has a bright future
Nelson has always been under the radar across the league because Strome is all anyone talks about when talking about the Isles. Nelson is a big time prospect and we're seeing glimpses of the player he can become already - especially on the 1st line.

Nelson has no glaring weaknesses. His size is a big time plus and it's a great sign that he uses it, he's already looked excellent at times when he throws his weight around at the NHL level. He has all the makings of a puck possession beast and I have personally confused him for Tavares (very brief of course) a couple of times this year, there do seem to be some developing skillset similarities to the 'Chise. Good skater, very nice hands, defensively responsible, and has always been lauded for his high hockey intelligence. His versatility of being able to play center and wing is also a major bonus. The Isles look like they got a steal with the last 1st rounder in 2010.

Realize too that while he had an impressive 1st AHL season last year, it was marred by a broken jaw injury. He could have had a monster season if he remained healthy all season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:15 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Nelson has always been under the radar across the league because Strome is all anyone talks about when talking about the Isles. Nelson is a big time prospect and we're seeing glimpses of the player he can become already - especially on the 1st line.

Nelson has no glaring weaknesses. His size is a big time plus and it's a great sign that he uses it, he's already looked excellent at times when he throws his weight around at the NHL level. He has all the makings of a puck possession beast and I have personally confused him for Tavares (very brief of course) a couple of times this year, there do seem to be some developing skillset similarities to the 'Chise. Good skater, very nice hands, defensively responsible, and has always been lauded for his high hockey intelligence. His versatility of being able to play center and wing is also a major bonus. The Isles look like they got a steal with the last 1st rounder in 2010.

Realize too that while he had an impressive 1st AHL season last year, it was marred by a broken jaw injury. He could have had a monster season if he remained healthy all season.
Great analysis on his skills PW. Nelson was an outstanding pick by Garth. Looks like he was born to play on a line with JT. For the record at the time I really wanted us to take Merrill. Glad that Garth didn't listen to me.

Last edited by original islander: 11-19-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Jester9881

I understood why people didn't give this guy many props at the draft, as he was very much an unknown project at that point. But after his second year at UND, this guy should have gotten a lot more recognition than he has.

I've seen guys like Toffoli, Krieder, Bjugstad and even Nino get a lot more play than Brock.... and I see him as even with or better than all of these guys. There is no weakness in his game at all

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Yashin for President

Im just curious whats going to happen when Vanek is healthy again. Hopefully Nelson stays on that line and Vanek takes KO's spot. Now thats a line!

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
I don't think it will matter. You still keep Vanek with Tavares because you will get more scoring opportunities from that pair than Nelson and JT. The only question is if you move Okposo down and the likely answer is no. Nelson gave us a preview with JT, maybe that colors the conversation when debating keeping Vanek vs moving him for another need at the deadline.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I don't think it will matter. You still keep Vanek with Tavares because you will get more scoring opportunities from that pair than Nelson and JT. The only question is if you move Okposo down and the likely answer is no. Nelson gave us a preview with JT, maybe that colors the conversation when debating keeping Vanek vs moving him for another need at the deadline.
Nielsen is the only forward not on the top line who is scoring regularly. So, finding room for Nelson should not be hard.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:31 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Nielsen is the only forward not on the top line who is scoring regularly. So, finding room for Nelson should not be hard.
I feel like his play on the first line gives us a great opportunity to reuinte that 2nd line that carried us last year.

Vanek/Nelson-JT-Vanek/Nelson (whoever can play RW better)
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:41 AM
SDIsles34

The more I watch Nelson- Tavares... the more I want these two to stick together when Vanek returns.

Again, having two lines each with an elite goal scorer is a GOOD THING. Balances our attack and forces opposing teams to respect top two lines and not just focus on one.

Nelson- Tavares - Okposo
Vanek - Nielsen - Bailey
Grabner - Regin - McDonald / PMB
Martin- Cizikas - Clutterbuck

**Also.... Vanek- Tavares can still get plenty of ice time together... Power play, crucial minutes and basically whenever we are desperate for a goal.

Last edited by SDIsles34: 11-19-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Add a point
SDIsles34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:42 AM
BTrotts19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I feel like his play on the first line gives us a great opportunity to reuinte that 2nd line that carried us last year.

Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
love the thought of reuniting last year's 2nd line and keeping Nelson on JT's line if he can move over to the right side. Imagine Brock winning corner battles and passing over to JT behind the net or side slot or getting the puck over to TV in low slot I think Josh wouldn't mind that scenario either

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:32 PM
redbull
manage the *uck

Quote:

Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
completely agree.

Heck, I'd put Grabs with Cizikas-Martin, that line would be more than fine.

Leaving Regin, Cluttterbuck, Bouchard, Cmac, Boulton to rotate.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:35 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Im not a Capuano fan but Im really happy with his decision to put Nelson on the first line with JT and Okposo. I wonder what he'll do when Vanek comes back.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
completely agree.

Grabs with Martin and Cizikas would be a nicely balanced line, IMO. Cizikas does a good job in a 4th line role, but he has the talent to move up from there.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 03:22 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
Quote:

Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
For some reason known only to Capuano, he won't put them back together again. Since Kyle has been on a roll it is even less likely, though some of us wouldn't hesitate reuniting them, me included.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
#JreeFroadwayBay

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
completely agree.

I actually really like that idea. It creates a line with three defensively responsible players and allows Cizikas to utilize some of his offensive abilities more.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:08 AM
duster19

I'd like to see Nelson stay on the top line with JT, and Okposo. Play vanek with Nielsen and strome at rw. Play Bailey with regin and grabner and then clutter, Martin, Czikas.

PMB, McDonald can be moved for any d man.

Not sure they will try vanek on a separate line from JT, esp if they want to resign him.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Darth Milbury

Benched again tonight. Yuck.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:16 PM
RMimagery

Unbelievable.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
LeapOnOver
Extend Nielsen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
I'd like to see Nelson stay on the top line with JT, and Okposo. Play vanek with Nielsen and strome at rw. Play Bailey with regin and grabner and then clutter, Martin, Czikas.

PMB, McDonald can be moved for any d man.

Not sure they will try vanek on a separate line from JT, esp if they want to resign him.
Nah, bench Bailey....PMB Regin, and even Grabner have been better than Bailey

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Islesfan22

Another good prospect being ruined by the Islanders.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Sparksrus3

Does anyone know what Brock Nelson's performance bonus numbers have to be for him to get the extra 2 mill? If I am way off please let me know. Is it possible that he is sitting so he doesn't have to get paid? Capgeek has him at $ 900,000 plus almost 2 mill on bonus. What are the details?
Please please I hope I am way off. us

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 07:00 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
Another good prospect being ruined by the Islanders.
Oh please. They are bringing Nelson along slowly and being overly cautious with him. He's a rookie, he's paying his dues. The Isles are far from 'ruining' him.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
Oh please. They are bringing Nelson along slowly and being overly cautious with him. He's a rookie, he's paying his dues. The Isles are far from 'ruining' him.
Totally agree, it's a good sign from management. Looks like they learned their lesson with Nino.

In retrospect, I'm glad they decided to experiment with Nino and not Nelson or Strome. We need their skill sets far more.

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
#JreeFroadwayBay

vCash: 600
Quote:
While I agree that they're not ruining him, they're certainly not handling him correctly.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:39 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
While I agree that they're not ruining him, they're certainly not handling him correctly.
Bingo. Playing him on the 3rd line every game is a lot better than playing top minutes then being healthy scratched after playing well.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:56 PM
redbull
manage the *uck

Kid needs to play. Not because he's a "prospect" but because he gives the Islanders a better chance to win. He's better than most Isles forwards, it's that simple.

Vanek - Tavares - Nelson (Hey Cappy, remember how well Nelson played with Tavares when Vanek was hurt?!?!?!?!?!?!)

Bailey - Strome - Okposo

Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck

Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote