HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLV

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2013, 08:07 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 500
Benoit has been a great surprise for all of us but I often wonder could Barrie or even Elliott for the matter do his job just as well. Both are better offensively and I think Barrie is on par if not better defensively. Elliott hasn't looked good in his own end when he's been up but Benoit never did anywhere else he played but has been doing the simple things right playing with this team.

I feel a few games learning from Roy and Footer both Elliott and Barrie would be good enough to play over Benoit.

P.S. Despite his slow improvements, I still think Elliott will be better than Barrie.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:38 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I know the Barrie love is strong, but there must be a reason Roy has chosen quite a few other guys over him. I'm glad he's getting ice time now in LE, but I'm not sold he's very high on Patrick's list.

Elliott, Barrie, and Benoit seem to be competing for the one RH PMD spot on the Avs for next year IMO.
Benoit is a left-handed defenseman.

Elliott has been having a good season in LEM, Barrie hasn't played much yet, though he did have a sick goal in the SO the other day.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:05 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Benoit is a left-handed defenseman.

Elliott has been having a good season in LEM, Barrie hasn't played much yet, though he did have a sick goal in the SO the other day.
Do you get to see many monsters games? I hate the AHL schedule. I work for the St. John's IceCaps but it sucks since they play the same teams over and over. I've seen enough of teams like Manchester, Syracuse, Portland and Providence. I really wish they had an NHL type schedule so I could see every team at least once. The team has been here 3 years and I haven't gotten to see Lake Erie yet.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:42 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
I noticed that, they play what 10 games against the division and none from the other conference?

Old
11-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Benoit has been a great surprise for all of us but I often wonder could Barrie or even Elliott for the matter do his job just as well. Both are better offensively and I think Barrie is on par if not better defensively. Elliott hasn't looked good in his own end when he's been up but Benoit never did anywhere else he played but has been doing the simple things right playing with this team.

I feel a few games learning from Roy and Footer both Elliott and Barrie would be good enough to play over Benoit.

P.S. Despite his slow improvements, I still think Elliott will be better than Barrie.
Barrie is not at all on par with Benoit defensively.

Old
11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Avsfan 3319

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Some florida fans have been receptive to a Wilson, Sgar and 1st package if the team does sell Campbell. I'm not a big fan of Wilson's but he's alright at most aspects of the game when he's healthy and he is one of the best hitters in the league. As a 5 who sometimes steps up onto the second pairing he can be very useful, and gives them a relatively young NHLer to have around for a while so they aren't rushing all of their kids.

And I think realistically our pick and prospect would end up getting packaged with a prospect or their own to a third team for a slightly more developed youngin who's already breaking into the NHL.
Yeah sorry, I didn't see that you included a first which helps value for sure. I am curious to see if Roy stays patient on the trade front if we go on a bit of a skid. There are bonified top four guys out there to be had so it could get interesting.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's ok to "lose" on trade value if you are sure it helps in the long run. If we end up overpaying for what management views as a long term solution without crippling our depth I won't be too upset. I loved both the EJ and Varly trades and thought they were bold attempts at getting pieces that were absolute needs even though I knew we may have been able to find cheaper fixes. I view a number two D as an absolute need for them right now and hope they have found a solution by the deadline.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post

Great post, agree with it almost 100%, with the exception of the Sens fans raving about Benoit's steady play last year.

I do think Barrie and Elliott could contribute at a level similar to Benoit, he's been weak along the boards and his ability to distribute is mostly limited to his breakout pass. He's not a threat offensively and he's not a threat defensively, just kind of there.

Barrie and Elliott can be offensive threats and I think both can learn to be at least Benoit-competent defensively. Elliott I also think has the higher upside too, he's been very good for LEM and looked offensively dynamic in the game I caught against Rockford.

Old
11-14-2013, 03:08 PM
zxcvnm

Oilers open to moving their first round pick. Man, if there was only a way to get at that - Ekblad would look good in Burgundy and Blue.

Still have dreams that before the season began, Patrick Roy decided to troll the hockey world and publicly dare the Oilers to swap first round picks.

Old
11-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I think that the Oilers are willing to part with it for no other reason than to avoid the embarrassment of picking first overall four years in a row.

Old
11-14-2013, 03:51 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I think that the Oilers are willing to part with it for no other reason than to avoid the embarrassment of picking first overall four years in a row.
The Oilers have Nathan MacKinnon?

Old
11-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
The Oilers have Nathan MacKinnon?
Oh...whoops.

Should've said "Pick 1st overall 4 out of 5 years."

Old
11-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Hypothetical speaking here, but I'm curious.

Nashville has been really, really bad as of late, and decently sized group of the fans think these three things.

1. We aren't competitive right now.
2. We have a great young core to build around (Jones, Josi, Wilson, Forsberg, Smith, etc.)
3. Weber doesn't particularly want to be here, especially if we rebuild, and therefore is being a bad captain. This is part of the reason we're playing bad.

Having said that....what would you give for Shea Weber? He could be that Dman you've needed for ever and ever.

A few ideas I'll throw out there, assuming Duchene is off limits (and rightly so):

Mackinnon+Barrie+Hejda+2014 2nd
Mackinnon+Elliot+Hejda+2014 1st
Landeskog+Barrie+Hejda
Landeskog+Elliot+Hejda+2014 2nd
Mackinnon+PAP+Elliot

Weber+Legwand (UFA) for Mackinnon+Stastny+Hejda
Weber+Legwand (UFA) for Landeskog+Stastny+Siemens
Weber+Ellis+Legwand for Mackinnon+Landeskog+Hejda

Anyways, just some ideas. Feel free to counter.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

MacKinnon and Landeskog are also off limits.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
MacKinnon and Landeskog are also off limits.
That will close off Weber, easily. You won't get a top 3 D in the game without Duchene, Mackinnon, or Landeskog.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Landy is the captain thus unlikely to get traded, Mack is in his rookie year as an 18yr old doubtful he gets traded. The others won't interest you... so, I'd rather the avs target Josi.

Will give you a 5th for Jones tho

Old
11-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
Landy is the captain thus unlikely to get traded, Mack is in his rookie year as an 18yr old doubtful he gets traded. The others won't interest you... so, I'd rather the avs target Josi.

Will give you a 5th for Jones tho
Josi is less likely to get traded than Weber IMO. Or at least should be. He's right in our core age group and is on a great deal. He actually wants to be here.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Josi is less likely to get traded than Weber IMO. Or at least should be. He's right in our core age group and is on a great deal. He actually wants to be here.
The best I'm willing to give is

ROR, 1st, Elliott and Sgar. You could probably get a better deal else where tho.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
That will close off Weber, easily. You won't get a top 3 D in the game without Duchene, Mackinnon, or Landeskog.
I don't doubt that. Weber is great and one of those three would have to go the other way but I don't think the Avs are trading them. I also don't think the Avs would touch that contract. He has 12 years remaining after this season, including $42 million in bonuses.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:29 PM
zxcvnm

Quote:

Nashville has been really, really bad as of late, and decently sized group of the fans think these three things.

2. We have a great young core to build around (Jones, Josi, Wilson, Forsberg, Smith, etc.)
3. Weber doesn't particularly want to be here, especially if we rebuild, and therefore is being a bad captain. This is part of the reason we're playing bad.

Having said that....what would you give for Shea Weber? He could be that Dman you've needed for ever and ever.

A few ideas I'll throw out there, assuming Duchene is off limits (and rightly so):

Landeskog+Barrie+Hejda
Mackinnon+PAP+Elliot

It's not that these offers are bad (really haven't thought about them much). The real issue is that these kinds of trades have a major impact on our core and it's unclear whether or not we'd benefit in the long run. Basically, we take on a lot of risk (as would Nashville for that matter). Things are going too well for us at the moment to make this kind of trade.

I also don't think the Avs need to target Weber. EJ has been great so far this season as our top pairing defenseman. We need a partner for him. We're far better off targeting the likes of guys like JJ, Ehrhoff, etc. Those guys would cost too, but wouldn't demand the same king's ransom.

Old
11-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Avs71

Not a fan of any of those deals. MacKinnon will likely be just as good as Duchene in a few years. Landeskog is the captain and the Avs best winger. I don't see any of them being traded in the next 5 years.

The Oilers are probably a better fit.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:12 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

We know you have to give up big to get big in return it's just that the core of this team is equally with Duchene, Landeskog and MacKinnon. It's a point of emphasis from a marketing standpoint in Denver as well and would be pretty tough to explain to a rebuilding fanbase why the message has changed. It just doesn't make sense to create a huge hole even if you are filling a big hole in return. The Avs are in a position to finish a rebuild with a couple more moves, not blow up the core. Also, not many teams can take in that Weber contract. I know that doesn't make him less valuable but it does limit the options, and thus the market.

And really, Nashville is out of it? They lost 3 games and the division is extremely tight.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:27 PM
electricjib

Quote:
You came here to make the proposal... I don't think Weber's name is anywhere in this thread before you posted. We're wondering about cheaper options such as Ernhoff and Cambpell.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

I really don't see why Weber is being put forth as a trade piece. In my opinion he's the best defenseman in the game and would love to have him. However there's no way you can jjust trade him. Josi and Jones will be hard pressed to reach his level. Jones has a sliver of hope to get to Weber's level but the bar is set high. No team can or will trade the piece necessary to acquire Weber unless the price is very low.

Your allowed to have a defenseman in his prime. Just because there might be shinier toys out there doesn't make them better.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Mifroid

Weber isn't moving, and it's pretty safe to say MacKinnon and Landeskog are staying in Denver as well.

Ehrhoff would be my pick for a D, not sure I would pay a 1st round pick, Sgarbossa and Wilson or whatever you guys feel like giving for him.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:

Landeskog+Barrie+Hejda
Mackinnon+PAP+Elliot

Heres my problem with something like this...We would be giving you a piece not yet in their prime...like most of our core...for a piece that IS in his prime. I would rather our core grow together and pick up pieces in the Draft or FA than trade away any of the big 3 or big 4 (which includes ROR IMO)

Those deals are probably fair...but Im not willing to part with Duchene, Landy, or Mack...and maybe not even ROR.

Closed Thread