HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2014, 04:48 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
How wide is this margin? Because everybody gets super excited in this [fabricated, media-driven] awards season and have viewing parties and so on.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm ever so lucky to be nominated for something I'll have to change my tune but as it stands - with nothing on the line - it's pretty clear the Oscars are a huge cash grab with very little depth or value.
I'm not sure how wide.

What's a better list: the best picture winners from 1980-2000, or the highest grossing movies from 1980-2000?

As for changing your tune, nearly everybody does when they get nominated, with the exception of Grigori Perelman, who turned down a Fields Medal in math on the basis that the people who gave him the fields medal couldn't have possibly understood what his work was about. There was also a nobel peace prize rejected in ~1974 or so, by the then Vietnamese leader, because his country was not yet at peace.

Old
01-19-2014, 04:54 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm not sure how wide.

What's a better list: the best picture winners from 1980-2000, or the highest grossing movies from 1980-2000?

As for changing your tune, nearly everybody does when they get nominated, with the exception of Grigori Perelman, who turned down a Fields Medal in math on the basis that the people who gave him the fields medal couldn't have possibly understood what his work was about. There was also a nobel peace prize rejected in ~1974 or so, by the then Vietnamese leader, because his country was not yet at peace.
It doesn't have to be either Oscar winners or top grossing films... There are alternatives. I'm partial to averaging out most yearly top10 lists from respected critics and figuring it out from watching those.

Joaquin Phoenix doesn't respect the academy awards much either, neither did George C Scott. I haven't had a chance to see some of the highly acclaimed films of the last quarter of 2013 but for my money Phoenix was phenomenal in Her.

Old
01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Just after watching the latest version of "The Three Musketeers" i have come to an inescapable conclusion: all FRENCH musketeers spoke with a strong British accent...

In fact it seems one absolutely had to be British to even BE a French Musketeer.

I must admit i didnt know that... even if i am French.

Old
01-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Go Habs Go

Finally saw the desolation of smaug in imax 3d. Good movie, really good visuals. I'm actually not a fan of the book but this movie was fun

Old
01-20-2014, 07:00 AM
rickthegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I didn't like Gravity either. Its technical prowess was awsome, with beautiful images of the earth from space... but I though the scenario and the directing made it so dull and screamy. There is no interesting dialogue, no gems, the characters just scream out of panic for the whole ****ing movie. Even horror movies are deeper than that. I didn't even finish the film.
Have to agree with this. The movie was just plain silly......only catastrophe avoided was the absence of a shark attack before the main character reaches the beach!!!! ( at that point in the movie, I was almost excpecting it to happen! )

Old
01-20-2014, 06:44 PM
WhiskeySeven*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
Have to agree with this. The movie was just plain silly......only catastrophe avoided was the absence of a shark attack before the main character reaches the beach!!!! ( at that point in the movie, I was almost excpecting it to happen! )
Did you guys see the same movie the rest of us saw?? Did you watch it on your cellphone screen or something? The entire movie was a perfectly realized aesthetic experience, it is a simple story (more like a fable, really) told very, very well.

What's there to not like?

Old
01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Did you guys see the same movie the rest of us saw?? Did you watch it on your cellphone screen or something? The entire movie was a perfectly realized aesthetic experience, it is a simple story (more like a fable, really) told very, very well.

I thought the whole 'getting back on your feet after a disaster' message was a bit... heavy handed, but I still really enjoyed the movie.

Of the big ones I've seen from this year, I'd say:

Rush > Wolf of wall Street > Gravity > American Hustle

Old
01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
WhiskeySeven*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I thought the whole 'getting back on your feet after a disaster' message was a bit... heavy handed, but I still really enjoyed the movie.

I'm going to watch Rush and Wall Street tomorrow. Nebraska, 12 Years a Slave, All is Lost and Blue is the Warmest Colour are all up this week.

I still recommend Her to everybody, it's hard to tell what it's actually about (life? love? the loss of either?) but it's special.

As for Gravity: the getting on the feet was deeper (and simpler than that)... the entire movie is a fable about resurrection, life, rebirth, etc. The protagonist had nothing to live for in an increasingly difficult and dangerous world, she goes so far as to almost literally say it, but for reasons we see unfold she keeps going and is at the end almost literally reborn (womb->water... etc.). It's an allegory about the human spirit and humanity as a whole.

It's obvious but that doesn't make it bad.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
DAChampion

If this thread controlled the oscars, would Rush win best picture?

Old
01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

I agree with Rush.

God damn underrated movie. Funny, dramatic, action-packed and cars ... What is there not to like ?

I haven't seen Wolf of wall street yet, I went and seens 47 ronin instead, because I was looking forward to some real bushido art. Heh, I came away unimpressed with the lizard men and the dragon girl. Great visuals but yeah... Also lol @ the tattooed guy from Montreal being in the movie, I really need to go see Leo.

American Hustle could've been a lot better with the great cast of actors they had. (Good acting, okay story)

Old
01-20-2014, 06:57 PM
WhiskeySeven*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
American Hustle could've been a lot better with the great cast of actors they had. (Good acting, okay story)
David O Russell makes movies fast and loose, they're like popcorn, easy to chew on but offer very little. I found that if Carmine (Jeremy Renner) were a bit better developed, the movie would've stood tall... like how it is, it's just a fun period piece that reminded me to watch Goodfellas again. Carmine was a very important plot element as a character and he was half-conceived.

As for the acting, well let's just say that when the mob boss from Miami comes, it really puts into perspective how little the actors were performing all throughout - not one of them had the seriousness the mob-boss had. I guess the movie was designed that way (fast and witty dialogue doesn't lend itself to seriousness) but Russell doesn't really get good acting, he gets good, likable characters. JLaw shouldn't have won best anything for Silver Linings Playbook, put it on record.

Old
01-20-2014, 06:59 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
I'm going to watch Rush and Wall Street tomorrow. Nebraska, 12 Years a Slave, All is Lost and Blue is the Warmest Colour are all up this week.

I still recommend Her to everybody, it's hard to tell what it's actually about (life? love? the loss of either?) but it's special.

As for Gravity: the getting on the feet was deeper (and simpler than that)... the entire movie is a fable about resurrection, life, rebirth, etc. The protagonist had nothing to live for in an increasingly difficult and dangerous world, she goes so far as to almost literally say it, but for reasons we see unfold she keeps going and is at the end almost literally reborn (womb->water... etc.). It's an allegory about the human spirit and humanity as a whole.

The dialogue made it obvious. I thought they brought up the whole kid thing too much. Thought they pushed the message in words more than they needed to, you know? Besides that, it was fine. Out of the womb and crawling, not walking, as well was a nice touch.

Wall Street was good, but just like Django and AH, I felt they could have cut out some really useless parts and put together an much tighter experience than they did. Still enjoyed it a lot, though.

Quote:
I agree with Rush.

God damn underrated movie. Funny, dramatic, action-packed and cars ... What is there not to like ?

I haven't seen Wolf of wall street yet, I went and seens 47 ronin instead, because I was looking forward to some real bushido art. Heh, I came away unimpressed with the lizard men and the dragon girl. Great visuals but yeah... Also lol @ the tattooed guy from Montreal being in the movie, I really need to go see Leo.

Take anything I say about a Christian Bale movie with a huge grain of salt. Can't ****ing stand him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If this thread controlled the oscars, would Rush win best picture?
If you guys could put together a list of 10 or so film of the year candidates, I can get a poll going in here, if you'd like.

Old
01-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
David O Russell makes movies fast and loose, they're like popcorn, easy to chew on but offer very little. I found that if Carmine (Jeremy Renner) were a bit better developed, the movie would've stood tall... like how it is, it's just a fun period piece that reminded me to watch Goodfellas again. Carmine was a very important plot element as a character and he was half-conceived.

As for the acting, well let's just say that when the mob boss from Miami comes, it really puts into perspective how little the actors were performing all throughout - not one of them had the seriousness the mob-boss had. I guess the movie was designed that way (fast and witty dialogue doesn't lend itself to seriousness) but Russell doesn't really get good acting, he gets good, likable characters. JLaw shouldn't have won best anything for Silver Linings Playbook, put it on record.
That Silver lining playbook was like most movies... Cute and thats about it.

Old
01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
lostriver

Quote:
That Silver lining playbook was like most movies... Cute and thats about it.
did not finish watching it. and I was watching it on a plane.

Old
01-20-2014, 08:34 PM
rickthegoon

Quote:

What's there not to like? seriously?

amazing cgi ...sure !
But for the catastrophe after catastrophe after catastrophe chain of events...geezzz, I just think it was pure silly. If the tone was meant to be pure sci-fi, it got it wrong, if it was supposed to be anything else, it got it wrong also.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

I will have watched Her by this weekend, largely because of your recommendation(s) plural, then 12 Years a Slave.

Watched Captain Phillips yesterday, a decent movie but not a chance at best film. I somehow liked A Hijacking better, a more original Danish version of the Somali pirate story. It just seemed more raw and realistic, and didn't have a US Navy fleet pop out of nowhere to turn the movie into a Navy Seals propaganda film.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Simply at odds with physics and common sense is all I can say. I've said enough about this film, it left me feeling I had been taken for a fool. In space films there's Star Trek fantasy and Apollo 13 history-drama at opposite ends of the spectrum, I just felt this was one thing partially masquerading as another.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Andy

I am currently watching Se7en, there is 25 minutes and I'm terrified.

Old
01-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Uber Coca

I catched the first two episodes of HBO's True Detective and I highly recommend this show. Great characters and beautifully directed. I thought I wouldn't enjoy this show as much as I do because the last series I watched was Breaking Bad. I expected a big drop in quality so I'm pleasantly surprised. The dialogues are also really good.

The opening theme :

Old
01-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I will have watched Her by this weekend, largely because of your recommendation(s) plural, then 12 Years a Slave.

Watched Captain Phillips yesterday, a decent movie but not a chance at best film. I somehow liked A Hijacking better, a more original Danish version of the Somali pirate story. It just seemed more raw and realistic, and didn't have a US Navy fleet pop out of nowhere to turn the movie into a Navy Seals propaganda film.
Yeah, at this point I think we're all going to watch Her

Old
01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
It's good. I would recommend.

I'm sure many people on this website would date their computer if they could

Old
01-21-2014, 01:41 AM
WhiskeySeven*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
What's there not to like? seriously?

amazing cgi ...sure !
But for the catastrophe after catastrophe after catastrophe chain of events...geezzz, I just think it was pure silly. If the tone was meant to be pure sci-fi, it got it wrong, if it was supposed to be anything else, it got it wrong also.
I don't know what you were expecting... the movie was about an astronaut who gets "lost" in orbit and has to try to survive and get back to Earth. There was one catastrophe.

Quote:

I have been wrong about films before, we disagreed on Prisoners for instance. I just really liked it, would be cool to see if you didn't (and why) though. Keep in mind I also liked Life of Pi and hated Skyfall, I go for aesthetics and gut-feel first and logical consistency a close second.

Quote:
Simply at odds with physics and common sense is all I can say. I've said enough about this film, it left me feeling I had been taken for a fool. In space films there's Star Trek fantasy and Apollo 13 history-drama at opposite ends of the spectrum, I just felt this was one thing partially masquerading as another.
Interesting observation, but wouldn't you agree that the movie was essentially an indie-movie (minimal actors, sets, changes in scenery, etc.) but executed at a big-budget level? In that case it's hard to judge it against the Star Treks/Star Warses or the Apollo 13s and Armageddons (all movies which I like). It's a bit like Moon or 2001 if anything, and only a bit at that.

I found it so unique that discerning whether a certain shot was "cool" or particularly cinematic didn't even cross my mind, the acting didn't either... not even the plot really - we get the plot and the story and the themes within 15 minutes - it was the experience which was novel and, to me and most other people, intense and terrifying. Show me a caper-film and I can break it down within a single viewing, but this one? This hasn't really ever been done before, so it gets credit for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I am currently watching Se7en, there is 25 minutes and I'm terrified.
Great, great movie. Totally creepy, makes me wish there were more like it. (Watch Prisoners, pretty similar in themes and style... but also quite distinct.) Also Fincher's Zodiac and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, both are excellent.

Quote:
It's just one of those films man...

Old
01-21-2014, 09:11 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

the main theme was basically 'have faith', which is terribly unoriginal theme but supports the fast paced string of action to keep the ever growing ADD crowd in check (instead of being like wtf, why she have so much luck? the movie would of been infinite times better had she died or been pooped into another dimension or something 2001 style)
Also the 'reborn' moment is (i had to look it up after i finished the movie) more a hint that human life came from out of space (are we saying the same thing in different ways?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_(film)#Themes

Also, fables: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable , since you keep misusing it (there is no moral in Gravity except have faith, which is not a moral)

the movie isn't bad. it's just average and heavily overrated, and i think that`s because of lack of variety in Hollywood flicks these days. And by these days i mean last 20 years or so

Last edited by uiCk: 01-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old
01-21-2014, 09:41 AM
katatoniak

Anybody here watched Vikings ?

Started it this morning before work. is it any good ? Any comparatives ?

Looks interesting so far

Old
01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
zzoo

I'm looking for a series to watch, how would you rank those series (from best to worst) ?

Game of Throne
Breaking Bad
True Detective
Heroes
Dexter

Thank you.

Closed Thread