HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2014, 10:04 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I'm looking for a series to watch, how would you rank those series (from best to worst) ?

Game of Throne
Breaking Bad
True Detective
Heroes
Dexter

Thank you.
Game of Thrones/Breaking Bad
True Detective

Dexter

Heroes

The first four are worth watching for various reasons, while Heroes starts well enough in season one (season two I thought was fine), but after that it takes a nosedive of sorts. True Detective is a young show, but it holds a ton of promise. Breaking Bad is usually regarded as the best show, but I like Game of Thrones a tad more, it has a huge scope and I love fantasy.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:10 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
the main theme was basically 'have faith', which is terribly unoriginal theme but supports the fast paced string of action to keep the ever growing ADD crowd in check (instead of being like wtf, why she have so much luck? the movie would of been infinite times better had she died or been pooped into another dimension or something 2001 style)
Also the 'reborn' moment is (i had to look it up after i finished the movie) more a hint that human life came from out of space (are we saying the same thing in different ways?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_(film)#Themes

Also, fables: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable , since you keep misusing it (there is no moral in Gravity except have faith, which is not a moral)

the movie isn't bad. it's just average and heavily overrated, and i think that`s because of lack of variety in Hollywood flicks these days. And by these days i mean last 20 years or so
By 'theme' you actually mean premise. And many stories (even paintings, novels, poems, movies, tv shows, haikus, facebook statuses, etc.) have similar premises. In my favourite storytelling book (The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Irgi) the author goes into detail about how the premise can give you the outline of what will happen but the author can spin it pretty much any way he wants.

For Gravity we could say that the premise is something like "The struggle to survive allows for living itself" (or something, I'm hungover, I dunno). It's definitely not "have faith" as she does not have faith throughout the movie, most of what happens is reactionary or through some sort of plan or idea either she or Clooney came up with, in fact the movie barely touches upon faith, it's more about the will to survive. Rarely does she say "oh I don't believe this'll work, this is so hard." it's more like "this is hard, I don't know if I have it in me to keep doing this." and then something happens which spurs her onward.

The movie is about human nature and our effort for survival - if she died in space it wouldn't have made any sense. Clooney meets his faith because he's a periphery to the central story, and his and the other astronauts' doom are scary enough. If she MUST die to please your sensibilities, it would've been on her reentry, knowing that the odds are slim and having to overcome them anyway (that's one of the themes I reckon) but even then... the movie would've had to be redesigned so as to accommodate her death.

Reborn/Life from space are pretty much the same thing said different ways.

I was using fable to mean a short, simple story with an easily discernible meaning. Maybe I should've used allegory instead.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Avengers*

True Detective is a great show. everyone should watch it.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Andy

I'm a little disappointed with the ending of se7en. It was kind of obvious. Great movie, not sure if it's one of the best I've seen (22nd on imdb I believe). It was insanely suspenseful and well shot, but the ending wasn't as "wow" as people told me. You kind of know what's coming based on the sins that are left and the fact that you hadn't seen or heard mention of his wife for quite some time. You don't introduce a character like that and the extent of their relationship only to ignore it for the rest of the film.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Avengers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm a little disappointed with the ending of se7en. It was kind of obvious. Great movie, not sure if it's one of the best I've seen (22nd on imdb I believe). It was insanely suspenseful and well shot, but the ending wasn't as "wow" as people told me. You kind of know what's coming based on the sins that are left and the fact that you hadn't seen or heard mention of his wife for quite some time. You don't introduce a character like that and the extent of their relationship only to ignore it for the rest of the film.
Eh, It's still a great twist and a good movie.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I knew it was going to be the head, I was hoping for something really sick like the fetus.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I like to think that a lot of people will be able to watch and enjoy a movie even if the protagonist is of a different race or gender than they are.
Well yea, just look at Aliens.

But the idea of "girl learns to fight to the death in an a real-life arena and survive and becomes the best of her kind" is not for everybody cause it's designed for a particular public in mind. It's very much girl-power fantasy. Not my type of thing.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
I watched World War Z on the airplane, on a flight from New York to Istanbul. It was below-average for sure, but I'm not sure why so many people hate it. I didn't think it was awful.
I realised that those that hated that film the most are those that were fans of the book and see it as a failed potential. Given I never read it, I enjoyed it for what it was: a blockbuster survival sci-fi flick. The vibe reminded me of War of the Worlds somewhat? Only thing I hated was the ending cause it was a victory yet they played it like was not over9just cause I presume they are going for a sequel).

Old
01-21-2014, 11:17 AM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
I'm looking for a series to watch, how would you rank those series (from best to worst) ?

Game of Throne
Breaking Bad
True Detective
Heroes
Dexter

Thank you.
Breaking Bad is really good but there is a lot to watch and takes a full weekend full time. Make sure to watch it in sequence from the start though.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:22 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
By 'theme' you actually mean premise. And many stories (even paintings, novels, poems, movies, tv shows, haikus, facebook statuses, etc.) have similar premises. In my favourite storytelling book (The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Irgi) the author goes into detail about how the premise can give you the outline of what will happen but the author can spin it pretty much any way he wants.

For Gravity we could say that the premise is something like "The struggle to survive allows for living itself" (or something, I'm hungover, I dunno). It's definitely not "have faith" as she does not have faith throughout the movie, most of what happens is reactionary or through some sort of plan or idea either she or Clooney came up with, in fact the movie barely touches upon faith, it's more about the will to survive. Rarely does she say "oh I don't believe this'll work, this is so hard." it's more like "this is hard, I don't know if I have it in me to keep doing this." and then something happens which spurs her onward.

The movie is about human nature and our effort for survival - if she died in space it wouldn't have made any sense. Clooney meets his faith because he's a periphery to the central story, and his and the other astronauts' doom are scary enough. If she MUST die to please your sensibilities, it would've been on her reentry, knowing that the odds are slim and having to overcome them anyway (that's one of the themes I reckon) but even then... the movie would've had to be redesigned so as to accommodate her death.

Reborn/Life from space are pretty much the same thing said different ways.

I was using fable to mean a short, simple story with an easily discernible meaning. Maybe I should've used allegory instead.
Her survival was fueled by an "apparition" of Clooney telling her to "go for it" for example. that's clear indication, to me, of the spiritual, pretty much religious undertone of the movie. The point of here not having "faith thru ought the movie" is exactly that, that once she did, she made it to the next level (in the movie, not in an evolutionary way, i think..)

Old
01-21-2014, 11:26 AM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
This is your reminder that the Oscars are false and have no say on the quality of a film.

Argo, Chcago and Shakespeare in Love have won best picture. Let that sink in for a second.

The Oscars are false, don't watch them.
Argo was decent.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
sventington

Argo was probably the most overrated movie I have sat through in the past 5 years.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:32 AM
teh doors
worst habs poster

I've watched the Total Recall remake a couple times... maybe... I think... and I keep waiting for a plot twist where Kate Beckinsale gets cloned like 900 times and the movie goes in a totally different direction. hasn't happened yet though.

Definitely can't wait to kick back tonight and watch the first two episodes of True Detective.

Old
01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
True Detective is a great show. everyone should watch it.
We are behind in SOA and started watching on Sunday night that we completely forgot about True Detective. Hopefully they show the 2nd episode again this week on HBO

Old
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Anybody here watched Vikings ?

Started it this morning before work. is it any good ? Any comparatives ?

Looks interesting so far
I heard some good things. A few comparables would be Rome or Spartacus.

By the way I was literally sitting here whining to myself that I had nothing to watch, thanks.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:11 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Her survival was fueled by an "apparition" of Clooney telling her to "go for it" for example. that's clear indication, to me, of the spiritual, pretty much religious undertone of the movie. The point of here not having "faith thru ought the movie" is exactly that, that once she did, she made it to the next level (in the movie, not in an evolutionary way, i think..)
Listen man, I don't want to argue and bore everyone but have a vision which tells you that you gotta keep going because it's too easy to give up is almost literally the OPPOSITE of a spiritual/have faith kind of message. I hope you can see why.

The movie had a religious motif (the constant symbolism of different religious icons) but they served another purpose, something about the holistic nature of humanity and how, despite different iconography and cultures people are still essentially the same... and Sandra Bullock is that allegory.

On the other hand I guess the clooney apparition can be interpreted as "god" coming in and saving the day but I don't think so, it doesn't work. The movie's theme is so obvious that nothing else would fit.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:13 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I heard some good things. A few comparables would be Rome or Spartacus.

By the way I was literally sitting here whining to myself that I had nothing to watch, thanks.
The Vikings looks intriguing from the reviews: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/

Old
01-22-2014, 05:17 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
If this thread controlled the oscars, would Rush win best picture?

Id go with 12 years a slave.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:20 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Id go with 12 years a slave.
this, and Dicaprio won't get an oscar this year either.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:40 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
this, and Dicaprio won't get an oscar this year either.
He was good in the movie, just not good enough to win IMO. I am really hoping for Jonah Hill to win, he was fantastic.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:41 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
The Vikings looks intriguing from the reviews: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/
saw the whole 1st season and it's a great serie. Not as cheezy as most movies/series about Vikings. And from what is shown in the 1st season it seems to be based on historical events, they may "bend history" a little in upcoming season(s), but still nice to have some "real stuff" in there.

Old
01-22-2014, 06:28 AM
lostriver

watching British "Peaky Blinders". very well done.

"A gangster family epic set in Birmingham just after World War I, based on the historic Peaky Blinders gang. The story centres on a gang who sew razor blades in the peaks of their caps (hence the title), and their ambitious and highly dangerous boss Tommy Shelby. The gang come to the attention of Chief Inspector Chester Campbell, a detective in the Royal Irish Constabulary who is sent over from Belfast to Birmingham to clean up the city and purge it of the gangs."

Old
01-22-2014, 09:34 AM
rickthegoon

Watched ' Her ' last night.
Extremely pathetic depressing 'sci-fi' ? flick....in a very good way.
Joaquin Phoenix is very much credible in this role, wich is kind of unexpected.....don't see him as pathetic geeky looser.
Movie shows in a way an almost precise picture of what could become a new way of ( absent) social life for the upcomming generations.......( think Japan way of non commitment to real humans wich is already taking place)
Sad sad sad depressing movie, but very much worth watching.
Made me feel uneasy, while still watching to the end like Requiem for a dream, or Detachment did.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
CanuckBeSerious
Legendary Frog

Quote:

Game of Throne
Breaking Bad
True Detective
Heroes
Dexter

Thank you.
Season 1 of Heroes was probably the best TV experience I have ever watched, then it went way downhill.

Game of Thrones on the other hand only gets better and better each episode. Be prepared to do a little side research to better understand some characters though.

Breaking Bad is just flat out awesome.

Old
01-22-2014, 10:24 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
Watched ' Her ' last night.
Extremely pathetic depressing 'sci-fi' ? flick....in a very good way.
Joaquin Phoenix is very much credible in this role, wich is kind of unexpected.....don't see him as pathetic geeky looser.
Movie shows in a way an almost precise picture of what could become a new way of ( absent) social life for the upcomming generations.......( think Japan way of non commitment to real humans wich is already taking place)
Sad sad sad depressing movie, but very much worth watching.
Made me feel uneasy, while still watching to the end like Requiem for a dream, or Detachment did.
I saw it last night too, maybe we were in the same theatre? Heh. Anyway I loved it and Phoenix was incredible.

Closed Thread