HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2013, 06:58 PM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
I have a hard time believing anyone who says Tarantino is not an artist.
Why is a movie called a motion picture? Because it's art.
He creates some of the best.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
DAChampion

I think there is a lot of snobbery against Tarantino because he doesn't have a traditional film education. He is self-taught, largely. His story is that he worked at a video store and deconstructed movie after movie. He is also an eccentric because he watches zillions of B-movies, and apparently he has dyslexia as well.

Also, some people find the stylised violence in his movies nauseating. I don't, but I can understand people who do.

There is finally the frequent accusation that Tarantino is a plagiarist, but I don't know what that's about, isn't everyone in Hollywood a plagiarist?

Old
12-09-2013, 07:35 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think there is a lot of snobbery against Tarantino because he doesn't have a traditional film education. He is self-taught, largely. His story is that he worked at a video store and deconstructed movie after movie. He is also an eccentric because he watches zillions of B-movies, and apparently he has dyslexia as well.

Also, some people find the stylised violence in his movies nauseating. I don't, but I can understand people who do.

There is finally the frequent accusation that Tarantino is a plagiarist, but I don't know what that's about, isn't everyone in Hollywood a plagiarist?
How can Django Unchained and Inglorious ******** not be considered masterpieces? I'm having a hard time with this.

Old
12-09-2013, 11:44 PM
DAChampion

Who says they're not masterpieces?

They have 13 academy award nominations between them.

Old
12-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Well QT is an artist but those films are not Masterpieces.

He only made one, Pulp Fiction.

Old
12-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Completely agree.

People who call Tarantino a plagiarist are either completely ignorant of his modus operandi or they have an elitist snob agenda.

He pays tribute to genres that he enjoys and is extremely open about similarities from his influences. A plagiarist steals ideas and claims them as their own which couldn't be further from the truth in Tarantino's films. He is a cinephile who makes movies for other cinephiles. It is a tribute to the quality of these films that they are also so entertaining to those who don't pick up on all of the nods that he gives to the films that influenced the particular genre that he is paying homage to.

He is my current favourite contempary director as his movies are brilliant and extremely entertaining. I think he is a bit of a ****** as he is open about his legacy and loves to hear himself talk but the man is such a uniquely talented artist that I am always waiting for his next offering.

As for those who don't like the violence.......don't watch his movies and save your whining for things that are out of your control.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:21 AM
sventington

Django Unchained really isn't that good.

Last edited by sventington: 12-10-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old
12-10-2013, 06:27 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well QT is an artist but those films are not Masterpieces.

He only made one, Pulp Fiction.
Yeah he has been making some real ****** movies lately and living off his past successes but everyone keeps kissing his ass because it is the "thing to do" I guess. I chalk it up to pseudo-intellectuals.

Anyways I saw the hunger games 2 the other night, it was alright for a "teenie" drama, I might have enjoyed it less had my company not been so good.

Old
12-10-2013, 08:27 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

I just discovered Community, I'm really having a good time watching that show.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

I think a lot of the anti-Tarantinoism is in response to his fervently devoted fanbase, who act like he is beyond reproach and seem to think he invented cinema as we know it.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Joe Cole

Seasons 1 and 2 of American Horror Story were great, season thee...so far.....better than any network drama, but not incredible.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:23 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think a lot of the anti-Tarantinoism is in response to his fervently devoted fanbase, who act like he is beyond reproach and seem to think he invented cinema as we know it.
Kind of like Montreal in hockey, we are hockey's Tarantino!!!

Old
12-10-2013, 09:29 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
There's a new serie I like, it's called The Crazy Ones, with Robin Williams working in a publicity agency.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Yeah it is pretty good

but i'd also recommend Workaholics... i am gunning thru it and its hilarious, i cant beleive it took me so long to watch this show

Old
12-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
One of the most underrated comedies ever . Absolutely hilarious.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:48 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
One of the most underrated comedies ever . Absolutely hilarious.
I really didn't expect it to be that good, it's awesome.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
There's a new serie I like, it's called The Crazy Ones, with Robin Williams working in a publicity agency.
My wife is absolutly loving this show, guess I'm a slow starter.

Old
12-10-2013, 09:52 AM
sventington

I watched Barney's Version on the weekend and really loved it. Something about the main character being an alcoholic Habs fan really spoke to me...

Old
12-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventington View Post
I watched Barney's Version on the weekend and really loved it. Something about the main character being an alcoholic Habs fan really spoke to me...
Is he really a fan of the habs in the movie or just hockey???

Old
12-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Adriatic

Quote:
Who says they're not masterpieces?

They have 13 academy award nominations between them.
I love both of them, but Inglorious was incredible. That opening scene is one of the best ever! I've watched it about 7-8 times and I still learn something every time. It's the type of movie for me that I catch when I'm flipping through the channels and say to myself I'm only gonna watch 5 min, next thing you it's 3 in the morning and I've watched the whole thing again.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
I love both of them, but Inglorious was incredible. That opening scene is one of the best ever! I've watched it about 7-8 times and I still learn something every time. It's the type of movie for me that I catch when I'm flipping through the channels and say to myself I'm only gonna watch 5 min, next thing you it's 3 in the morning and I've watched the whole thing again.
Watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly's (1966) opening scene, ..they are very very similar and i know for a fact quentin wanted it to be

it's pretty interresting and i find in TGTBTU the main bad guy (angel eyes) came off WAY more evil at the scenes ending with what he does to the family , but quentin did a waaaaaaaaaay better job at making his look and feel much more intense, i mean Hans Landa was just mind blowing, so charming but excited to kill everyone underneath the floor at the same time, he really pulled that off

Old
12-10-2013, 11:09 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Up to date on Sons of Anarchy and **** is happening . Don't know why this show doesn't get more respect.

Homeland continues to keep me glued as well but since I am up to date on almost everything I might need something new .
Well about SOA, its maybe the subject that dont get attention. At first, i was meh about listening that show. To me , watching a show about motorcycle dudes that are involved in drugs dealing drama was not something i want to dig into. But someone recommand me this show after i finish Breaking Bad ( which is imo, one of the best serie ever ). So i decide to try it.

And now i am hook, absolutly. There is something more than what we think it is. I consider it for now one of the best show ever. I just finish the first 4 seasons, and just finish episode 4 of season 5 ( with the major cliffhanger at the end of episode 3!!! ) and i cant wait to be up to date with this serie. This tv show was really not what i was expecting. Found the season 3 a bit average, but in overall, im absolutly loving that show!!!

Old
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I have a hard time believing anyone who says Tarantino is not an artist.
Why is a movie called a motion picture? Because it's art.
He creates some of the best.
He created the best movies, period. Pulp Fiction, Inglorious *******, Reservoir Dgos, Kill Bill were absolutly amazing movies. And i cannot say all his others movie where he was director or having an inferior role were just decent movie. They were all good to watch.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Avengers*

Quentin Tarantino is master filmmaker. One of the best of this generation. Martin Scorsese should be considered the best.

Is Anyone watching Mob City on TNT. from Frank Darabont. great show.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:31 AM
sventington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Is he really a fan of the habs in the movie or just hockey???
Habs. He is always taking in a Canadiens game. At least I am pretty sure he is. I think it is based on a book. I will do more research and get back to you.

EDIT: Here is a review of the book from Amazon (SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN/READ IT):

Quote:
Barney Panofsky smokes too many cigars, drinks too much whiskey, and is obsessed with two things: the Montreal Canadiens hockey team and his ex-wife Miriam. An acquaintance from his youthful years in Paris, Terry McIver, is about to publish his autobiography. In its pages he accuses Barney of an assortment of sins, including murder. It's time, Barney decides, to present the world with his own version of events. Barney's Version is his memoir, a rambling, digressive rant, full of revisions and factual errors (corrected in footnotes written by his son) and enough insults for everyone, particularly vegetarians and Quebec separatists.
But Barney does get around to telling his life story, a desperately funny but sad series of bungled relationships. His first wife, an artist and poet, commits suicide and becomes-- la Sylvia Plath--a feminist icon, and Barney is widely reviled for goading her toward death, if not actually murdering her. He marries the second Mrs. Panofsky, whom he calls a "Jewish-Canadian Princess," as an antidote to the first; it turns out to be a horrible mistake. The third, "Miriam, my heart's desire," is quite possibly his soul mate, but Barney botches this one, too. It's painful to watch him ruin everything, and even more painful to bear witness to his deteriorating memory. The mystery at the heart of Barney's story--did he or did he not kill his friend Boogie?--provides enough forward momentum to propel the reader through endless digressions, all three wives, and every one of Barney's nearly heartbreaking episodes of forgetfulness. Barney's Version, winner of Canada's 1997 Giller Prize, is Richler's 10th novel, and a dense, energetic, and ultimately poignant read.

Last edited by sventington: 12-10-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Closed Thread