HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

New GM Candidates?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2013, 05:55 PM
  #601
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Reply
Retweet
Favorite

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 5m

@FriedgeHNIC says #Sens assistant GM Tim Murray may get an interview for GM's job in Buffalo

Beerz is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 05:56 PM
  #602
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Home of the 'Merks
Country: United States
Posts: 11,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Reply
Retweet
Favorite

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 5m

@FriedgeHNIC says #Sens assistant GM Tim Murray may get an interview for GM's job in Buffalo
So this is quickly moving toward interviewing all assistant GMs. I'd rather them go to that extreme than the "pick the first guy you like" extreme.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 06:01 PM
  #603
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,479
vCash: 500
I absolutely love how the Coyotes are put together and wanted to poach Maloney/Tippett had their ownership situation went south. Their AGM might have to do.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 06:20 PM
  #604
CaptPantalones
Registered User
 
CaptPantalones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Anyone even have any knowledge or opinion on this guy? Treliving?
rising star among AGMs in the same class as Botterill and Fenton.

Tabbed by Team Canada to be the GM of the Spengler Cup team

CaptPantalones is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 07:11 PM
  #605
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
Every time I see his name I read it as Trevelyan, and then wonder why we want Sean Bean for GM.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 07:48 PM
  #606
BuzzKillington90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Albion, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Anyone even have any knowledge or opinion on this guy? Treliving?
On Treveling: Maloney said they may not give permission during season...

BuzzKillington90 is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 10:11 PM
  #607
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,756
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Anyone even have any knowledge or opinion on this guy? Treliving?
He, Maloney and Tippet are all very big on advanced stats and player usage. Phoenix is arguably one of the best teams as far as getting the most out of players and assessing value. He's an interesting guy for sure but he may be a guy who works better with small market budgets and you can't ignore that Dave Tippet works very closely with Maloney in determining the perfect players for their system. I wonder if he has a coach in mind to form his own partnership like his current GM and coach have.

Moskau is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 06:20 PM
  #608
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Anyone even have any knowledge or opinion on this guy? Treliving?
I'm a little puzzled at how LaFontaine came to consider him - IF he is going to - since Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume. He's also 44, which would make him younger than both Nolan and LaFontaine (just like Botteril). I'm all for getting a GM that will be in place for several years but, despite 7 years as AGM under Maloney, it sounds like he's too green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
@FriedgeHNIC says #Sens assistant GM Tim Murray may get an interview for GM's job in Buffalo
Is he related to GM Bryan Murray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
So this is quickly moving toward interviewing all assistant GMs. I'd rather them go to that extreme than the "pick the first guy you like" extreme.
I'm glad Patty is taking his time but I do hope he's sticking with his original goal of finding someone who has experience building a championship team....

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I absolutely love how the Coyotes are put together and wanted to poach Maloney/Tippett had their ownership situation went south. Their AGM might have to do.
...which Treliving doesn't.

FWIW, here's an interesting article by Pierre LeBrun from February of current assistant GMs he thinks are ready to take the next step - obviously, Nill has already graduated:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...take-next-step

Another column by Kevin Allen with a longer list of potential GMs (written in March):

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...tes/53562872/1


Last edited by Sabretip: 12-01-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Sabretip is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 06:23 PM
  #609
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Anyone even have any knowledge or opinion on this guy? Treliving?
Here's his bio - he definitely has the business background:

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32690

Sabretip is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 06:47 PM
  #610
CreemoreSprings
buffalo, you?
 
CreemoreSprings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 613
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post



Is he related to GM Bryan Murray?




[/url]
Bryans his uncle

CreemoreSprings is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 07:02 PM
  #611
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,756
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

I'm glad Patty is taking his time but I do hope he's sticking with his original goal of finding someone who has experience building a championship team....
It's a stupid requirement to be honest and I hope it's not one that prevents them from hiring someone with potential.

There are a lot of guys out there with championship team experience that would make worse GMs than some posters on these boards. And the amount of available guys who have championship team experience in today's NHL is very limited as only a handful of teams have won since the game has changed.

Moskau is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 07:19 PM
  #612
jc17
Registered User
 
jc17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 690
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
It's a stupid requirement to be honest and I hope it's not one that prevents them from hiring someone with potential.

There are a lot of guys out there with championship team experience that would make worse GMs than some posters on these boards. And the amount of available guys who have championship team experience in today's NHL is very limited as only a handful of teams have won since the game has changed.
I agree, just because a guy has a stanley cup, it doesn't mean he is brilliant or necessarily knows how to make the Sabres a cup contender.

jc17 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  #613
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I'm a little puzzled at how LaFontaine came to consider him - IF he is going to - since Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume. He's also 44, which would make him younger than both Nolan and LaFontaine (just like Botteril). I'm all for getting a GM that will be in place for several years but, despite 7 years as AGM under Maloney, it sounds like he's too green.
Let's not get hyper-literal. So what if Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume? Should we hire Botterill because the Pens won a Cup 10 months after he was hired with players who were already on the roster when he was hired? Does anyone really think he had his fingerprints on that team? Is Benning a better candidate because he was an AGM of a Cup winner even though he had no hand in signing Chara or Thomas, or drafting Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, or Krejci--the core of that Bruins team? Both guys have their other merits, but let's not get myopic with this "Cup on the resume" crap.

Tippett is one of the best coaches in the league, and he has lofty praise for Treliving:

Quote:
"Crazy work ethic," Tippett said of the Coyotes assistant GM. "His commitment to doing the job right is phenomenal. Sometimes you just scratch your head and say, 'Brad, take a break here.' He’s all-in all the time."

Treliving is a former player who joined the Coyotes after serving as president of the Central Hockey League. He has a great eye for talent at the amateur level and in filling out the Coyotes' roster.

"You look at our situation and the budgets we were dealing with, it's hard to make mistakes," Tippett said. "A guy like [Rob] Klinkhammer is a great example. [Treliving] sniffed this guy out and said this guy would be a great fit for how we play, and he's been great for us."
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/crai...5&refresh=true

Great work ethic and an ability to find talent where others don't are two characteristics I want in our future GM.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I'm glad Patty is taking his time but I do hope he's sticking with his original goal of finding someone who has experience building a championship team....

...which Treliving doesn't.
I hope they aren't tethering themselves to Lafontaine's statement, and arbitrarily disqualifying what may otherwise be very good candidates. Neither Shero nor Chiarelli had Cups on their resume prior to taking the helm of their current clubs, and they turned out just fine.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 07:36 PM
  #614
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Let's not get hyper-literal. So what if Treliving doesn't have a Cup on his resume? Should we hire Botterill because the Pens won a Cup 10 months after he was hired with players who were already on the roster when he was hired? Does anyone really think he had his fingerprints on that team? Is Benning a better candidate because he was an AGM of a Cup winner even though he had no hand in signing Chara or Thomas, or drafting Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, or Krejci--the core of that Bruins team? Both guys have their other merits, but let's not get myopic with this "Cup on the resume" crap.

Tippett is one of the best coaches in the league, and he has lofty praise for Treliving:



http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/crai...5&refresh=true

Great work ethic and an ability to find talent where others don't are two characteristics I want in our future GM.




I hope they aren't tethering themselves to Lafontaine's statement, and arbitrarily disqualifying what may otherwise be very good candidates. Neither Shero nor Chiarelli had Cups on their resume prior to taking the helm of their current clubs, and they turned out just fine.

I think the "Stanley Cup" quote has been overblown.

From what I remember...it was "Cups" and was in reference to a wildcard candidate which is why the Messier rumors started floating.

I don't think a Stanley Cup on the resume will be a requirement.

Beerz is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 08:03 PM
  #615
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
From total left field.....

What about waiting for summer and offering the father - son a complete control gig. Again, total left field, hard to imagine, under contract, etc.....but.....

Stan Bowman graduated from CHS...that's Canisius High School, unless its been totally recent, Papa Bowman lives in the Buffalo area.....

What about giving them complete control of the Sabres? Cups? Ummm? Ties to area? Yep? You'd have to pry him out of Chicago but stranger things happen.....

Stan's around 40, won Cups, from the area....would he be worth the Isl's 1st round pick? Is that outside the box with the pick? Crazy......

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 08:09 PM
  #616
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
From total left field.....

What about waiting for summer and offering the father - son a complete control gig. Again, total left field, hard to imagine, under contract, etc.....but.....

Stan Bowman graduated from CHS...that's Canisius High School, unless its been totally recent, Papa Bowman lives in the Buffalo area.....

What about giving them complete control of the Sabres? Cups? Ummm? Ties to area? Yep? You'd have to pry him out of Chicago but stranger things happen.....

Stan's around 40, won Cups, from the area....would he be worth the Isl's 1st round pick? Is that outside the box with the pick? Crazy......

Why leave Chicago?

Beerz is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 08:12 PM
  #617
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Why leave Chicago?
Hockey heaven bro hockey heaven

Stop Winnin is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 08:15 PM
  #618
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Why leave Chicago?
I agree, 99%.....but, both have serious ties to Buffalo, talk about a father/son challenge....

Like I said, just throwing it out there from left field....

Crazy but a topic for a crappy season/team

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 08:29 PM
  #619
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Every time I see his name I read it as Trevelyan, and then wonder why we want Sean Bean for GM.
Yes!

Irving Zisman is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 09:52 PM
  #620
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
LaFontaine never stated Stanley Cups (or even one) as a requirement. He said they were looking at guys with Stanley Cups and I believe that they preferred it.

vcv is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
  #621
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 38s

Confirmed Sabres have received permission to speak to Sens AGM Tim Murray about GM job. Not sure when those talks will take place.


Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 14m

Talk amongst NHL executives I spoke with today is the Sabres have expanded their list. #Sens #NHL


Last edited by Beerz: 12-02-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Beerz is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 03:52 PM
  #622
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,030
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 38s

Confirmed Sabres have received permission to speak to Sens AGM Tim Murray about GM job. Not sure when those talks will take place.


Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 14m

Talk amongst NHL executives I spoke with today is the Sabres have expanded their list. #Sens #NHL
I wonder if Patty's "short list" was expanded because he was not all that impressed with his short-list candidates, or many teams were calling to put their AGM's name in the hat. Probably the latter.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
  #623
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 500
The Sens board is not pleased at all about this recent development

That's a pretty good sign

boots electric is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  #624
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,756
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I wonder if Patty's "short list" was expanded because he was not all that impressed with his short-list candidates, or many teams were calling to put their AGM's name in the hat. Probably the latter.
We Major.

Moskau is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
  #625
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I wonder if Patty's "short list" was expanded because he was not all that impressed with his short-list candidates, or many teams were calling to put their AGM's name in the hat. Probably the latter.
Or the candidates on the short list weren't that interested in the job?

Ruckus007 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.