Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Petr Kalus

Old
11-15-2013, 09:25 AM

vCash: 50
Petr Kalus

Afternoon.

Bit of an old one here. My local side in the UK have just signed a Czech winger called Petr Kalus, he's a former draft pick of yours, scored 5 points in 9 games back in 2006. Question is, after that impressive start does anyone remember why he didn't go on to play more often? It doesn't seem to be down to injuries...

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:48 AM
flooredaccord

vCash: 500
Just a guess but probably didnt want to be in N.A. and play in the minors.

In the 2006–07 season, Kalus played 43 games for the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League (AHL) with 30 points. He also played nine games for the Boston Bruins with five points. In Kalus' Bruins games, he scored on his first three shots, a feat previously not done in the NHL since 1996.[2]
On June 30, 2007, Kalus was traded by the Bruins, along with a fourth-round pick to the Minnesota Wild for goaltender Manny Fernandez.[3] He was assigned to the Houston Aeros of the AHL. At the start of the 2008–09 season on October 18, 2008, Kalus left the Houston Aeros to play for HC MVD of the KHL, with the Wild retaining Kalus' rights through June 30, 2010.[4]
Following a disappointing season with MVD Kalus, on June 26, 2009, decided to return to the Wild for the 2009–10 season.[5] During the 2010-11 season, Kalus' tenure with the Wild ended when he was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets for future considerations on March 1, 2011. He was immediately assigned to AHL affiliate, the Springfield Falcons.[6]

flooredaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:50 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Well, he was traded to Minnesota in the trade that brought Boston Manny Fernandez and never really got it going over there. His time in Boston was short, but a lot of folks were upset that he was traded for a rental goalie. Back then, the Bruins had Karsums, Kalus and Krejci with only KJrejci being retained and many here on the forum though Kalus has the stuff to make an impact (scoring, feisty, good skater).

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:11 AM
BoyntBergie

Not sure why he never succeeded in North America but if he's even a fraction of his former self he should be dominant in the UK I'd think.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Kalus

He had a good year in Providence played tough and was productive. A lot of folks around here were optomistic.

Mgmt had to give to get in the MF trade. Certainly seems like a good move by them considering how PK's career has gone, maybe they saw a flaw in his game or something.

Was certainly a fun guy to watch in Providence.

Kalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Not sure why he never succeeded in North America but if he's even a fraction of his former self he should be dominant in the UK I'd think.
My team (Nottingham) are the equivalent of a top ECHL team I'd think. Considering his numbers i'd expect him to be quite good.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Size and skill but does not have the drive to use them at a high level. Shame, kid looked like a sure-fire NHLer for five games.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Dos anyone remember me the day we traded Kalus. I lost my ****.

Personally I think they gave up too soon on him.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:

Out drinking with Seguin to many nights?

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:35 AM
acr*

I thought Kalus was the most talented of the three Ks, and hated the Fernandez trade.

Oddly enough, the one I was least impressed by is the one who made it big in the NHL while the other two disappeared.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
I thought Kalus was the most talented of the three Ks, and hated the Fernandez trade.

Oddly enough, the one I was least impressed by is the one who made it big in the NHL while the other two disappeared.
Kalus was deemed a "power forward" and when that happens in Boston alot of us get glassy eyed and start drooling.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Ratty

Many foresaw a Bruins KKK Line, with him, David Krejci and Martins Karsums. It never materialized but we did alright with the one we Kept.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:47 PM
reffree

Quote:

Kalus was a more flashy junior than Krejci. Even in junior Krejci's game was to buy time to give it to his winger (not real talented winger). Some were asking why he didn't play with a take charge mentality more, but he allready played a pro game and the transition to the pro game was really easy for this à la Cam Fowler who had the same critics in 2010.

Kalus was a high flying skating guy who loved to have the puck on his stick. He had decent hands, but imho. no hockey sense and creativity and if I remember he had some discipline problems with the Czech hockey à la Kyle Beach with hockey Canada. Doesn't mean he could not have succeed in a 3rd or 4th line role in the NHL, but he never had the head for the game that Krejci had.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:

Me too. At the time.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:22 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:

I think pretty much all of us were on that boat. You had Kalus- good size, would drop them, could score. Karsums- built like a fire hydrant, decent offensive production at each level up to that point, liked to hit. Krejci- relatively soft, somewhat perimeter-style playmaker.

We're B's fans- pretty obvious how we'd rank each.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:11 PM
acr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Kalus was deemed a "power forward" and when that happens in Boston alot of us get glassy eyed and start drooling.
I thought Karsums was the power forward. Back in ~2006 I think we all thought he was what Lucic would end up being. Kalus I remember as more speedy with a good shot.

Krejci wasn't anything special until probably his third year in the NHL. But as someone said, there wasn't much adjustment needed because he plays the same pro style passing game, he just needed good wingers to flourish.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Isn't Kalus a Klingon God?

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:14 PM
bruinsfan46

Didn't he score on his first four shots in the NHL? He played with Providence when he was 19 and put up a very respectable 30 points in 43 games for a 19 year old in the AHL then added four goals and an assist in nine games with the big club at the end of the year. That's a pretty good 19 year old season, then he left the Bruins organization and I have no clue what happened, stank up the joint as a Houston Aero scoring well below his 19 year old season rate.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Res Nullius

Quote:
I thought Karsums was the power forward. Back in ~2006 I think we all thought he was what Lucic would end up being. Kalus I remember as more speedy with a good shot.

Krejci wasn't anything special until probably his third year in the NHL. But as someone said, there wasn't much adjustment needed because he plays the same pro style passing game, he just needed good wingers to flourish.
Karsums was an undersized banger with decent puck skills (better passer than finisher, scored a lot of "garbage goals"). He played with scoring lines throughout his junior career all the way up to the A with Providence and produced points as a result of that, mostly. He actually had one year where he came out of the gate hot and got a call-up, but didn't do much in the few games he got in Boston. He ended up getting a shot with the Lightning but didn't produce there (He didn't get many minutes, though).

edit: i used to have this fantasy of a 4th line where sobotka was shifted to a wing slot with arniel at center and karsums on the left

Last edited by Res Nullius: 11-15-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Res Nullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I think pretty much all of us were on that boat. You had Kalus- good size, would drop them, could score. Karsums- built like a fire hydrant, decent offensive production at each level up to that point, liked to hit. Krejci- relatively soft, somewhat perimeter-style playmaker.

We're B's fans- pretty obvious how we'd rank each.
Really? I don't think I was the only one watching Krejci in Providence and thinking he looked like a gem.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:55 PM
BallroomBitz
What about Griffith?

Quote:

It's strange how that works sometimes. So many guys have come and gone that the fan base thought were going to be bonified NHLers. I remember the obsession with the K's.

I'm still pissed about mikko lehtonen.

BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Really? I don't think I was the only one watching Krejci in Providence and thinking he looked like a gem.
I don't see a lot of the PBs, and I never actively disliked Krejci. Just based on what I knew of each he was the K I was least excited about. Luckily for us I'm just a fan and not in the FO.

Last edited by BoyntBergie: 11-15-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old
11-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Kalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallroomBitz View Post
It's strange how that works sometimes. So many guys have come and gone that the fan base thought were going to be bonified NHLers. I remember the obsession with the K's.

I'm still pissed about mikko lehtonen.
My journeyman version of that prospect dynamic is Michael Grosek. Thought he was going to catch on with the Bruins. Guess in the end it was lack of hockey sense.

Kalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I don't see a lot of the PBs, and I never actively disliked Krejci. Just based on what I knew of each he was the K I was least excited about. Luckily for us I'm just a fan and not in the FO.
I saw them several times when Krejci was there and was intrigued by him (and Sobotka, though of course they're very different players). He was one of those guys I really wanted to see on the big stage as I just had a feeling he'd blossom.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 05:46 PM
reffree

Personnaly I always preffered Krejci, but seing the recognition he has now that he's a proven performer it's easy to understand he was the least popular of the 3 at the time.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote