HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So....Thanks, Emery?

Old
11-14-2013, 12:45 AM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
So....Thanks, Emery?

I can't help but notice that ever since Ray Emery beat the heck out of Holtby, we have seemed to turn a corner in our attitude and push. Even the next game that we blew I thought was a different team that showed up.

Could this be a result of that wakeful call? It was nice to see life out of guys like Schenn and Simmonds (I'd include Lecavalier but he's been great all year).

Am I nuts or did anyone else notice this?

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:51 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Eh, I guess it makes for a good story but, like you said they blew that game to the Hurricanes and then followed it up with a pretty lackluster performance against the Devils. I'd say since the Edmonton game they've looked the best they have all season.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:31 AM
tymed

They've been taking many steps forward with few steps back since the day Berube took the bench.

Against the Caps, they completely melted down as individuals... and hardened back together as a much more cohesive team unit. While it wasn't the only big step they've taken, it was by far the biggest step they took in the dressing room. Most people around here kicked and screamed and cried about it but if you had ever played a high intensity team sport, you knew that team-wide emotional outburst was a big step forward for a team that had little to no chemistry and a disrespectful amount of accountability to eachother. It was a shame that Vinny and Downie got so damn banged up but it was a big part of the experience seeing 2 of the new guys lay themselves on the line for the their new teammates.

Last edited by tymed: 11-14-2013 at 01:56 AM.
tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:36 AM
dats81

The fight is overrated as it was only one single burst out in a chain of events.

I'd rather thank Razor for being a good veteran presence in the locker room. Always competitive and vocal but accepting his backup role at the same time. Full class act so far!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:51 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
There was also a very determined players' only meeting. And while those can be monotonous there seemed to be a different atmosphere emanating from that particular one. Rosehill's quote on radio after the first period of the Edmonton game was a particularly curious offering when he said "we can't go to sleep for two periods...and we have done that before." That is stronger than the usual drivel when players talk about such meetings. If the team heads south again, it will be easy to mock and clamor for another "team meeting" but while Emery's action was a public display of a purposeful result, even if brief and temporary, there were also behind the scenes attempts to put the hideous start on hold and rectify the situation.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-14-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: grammar
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I wouldn't say the fight was the catalyst. I just think some of the newer players like Emery who have leadership skills have stepped up in the locker room and on the ice like Vinny. Even Streit looks a bit more assertive. Just my conjecture though..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:51 AM
BrindamoursNose

Hey that's fine with me. All good insights.

I just had to bring it up since the timing seemed to be coincidental.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:50 AM

vCash: 50
The player meeting seems to have been the catalyst.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:51 AM
BernieParent

Definitely thanks for last night. It's such a strange giddiness when the "hot goalie" was wearing O&B. Imagine if Crosby had scored in the final 3 seconds of period 2: I could see a demoralized team come out for the 3rd, and we'd be back to our cursing and finger-pointing today. Just the fact that, with about 12 second left, the Penguins had the puck at their own blue line (going by memory here), and they managed to get it not only into the zone but Crosby makes it to the crease all alone on Emery and he stops Crosby point-blank twice.

I laughed, too, at the post-game comment in the Pens' board thread giving a plus to the glass behind Emery for making more saves than Emery: the Penguins failed to bury a ton of golden opportunities.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I can't help but notice that ever since Ray Emery beat the heck out of Holtby, we have seemed to turn a corner in our attitude and push. Even the next game that we blew I thought was a different team that showed up.

Could this be a result of that wakeful call? It was nice to see life out of guys like Schenn and Simmonds (I'd include Lecavalier but he's been great all year).

Am I nuts or did anyone else notice this?
Well, aside from those two games that the Flyers basically no-showed after beating the Devils, before Ed Snider had another conniption...

There's also the part where the Flyers percentages were just so bad that they had to turn around eventually. Brayden Schenn had like a 952 PDO or something before the Edmonton game, now it's 965.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
And everyone but Schenn was absurdly low on shooting percentage and high on missed shots. It was just a matter of time until things normalized.

11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
hockeyfreak7

I'd say if you're pointing to that game as the turnaround, it makes more sense for the 7-0 smacking to be the motivation more so than Emery smacking Holtby.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote