HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Goaltending Thread (Current/Future)

Old
12-18-2013, 01:11 AM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 500
I think Hiller has very little trade value, teams in market for him would probably just wait if they knew Anaheim was getting rid of him.

Fasth atleast has that extra year and a cheap contract for a starter (even though he gets hurt) his trade value is a bit higher.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:26 AM
getzforfighting*

Send a message via MSN to getzforfighting*
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
I think Hiller has very little trade value, teams in market for him would probably just wait if they knew Anaheim was getting rid of him.

Fasth atleast has that extra year and a cheap contract for a starter (even though he gets hurt) his trade value is a bit higher.
false. at the moment i believe fasth is worth pretty much zero

getzforfighting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:41 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Yeah, I don't see Fasth having much value, he's essentially an oft-injured, 30 something year old goaltender with 30 NHL games experience. He's a good goaltender, but he wouldn't fetch much IMO.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:12 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Our goaltending depth after this season could go from extreme to none and with a tandem of two very inexperienced guys at the NHL-level.

Scenario 1:
- Hiller stays through the season but signs for another club as UFA
- Fasth is so injury-ridden it's impossible to have him as our #1 goalie
- Leaves us with Andersen, Fasth, Gibson

Scenario 2:
- Hiller signs new contract (can't see us agreeing on term, but ok)
- Fasth is probably traded for scraps
- Leaves us with Hiller, Andersen, Gibson - which I would be fine with by the way

Scenario 3:
- We trade/sign another #1 goalie
- Leaves us with UFA/trade, Andersen and Gibson

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Bagge

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Our goaltending depth after this season could go from extreme to none and with a tandem of two very inexperienced guys at the NHL-level.

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:
- Leaves us with Hiller, Andersen, Gibson - which I would be fine with by the way

Scenario 3:
Isnt there a 4th possibility trading Andersen and re-signing both Hiller and Fasth? It is obvious that most Ducks-fans see Gibson as your future number one, so why try to keep Andersen in the fold if you are never going to use him anyway? I'll bet there is a club or two that could use him as backup this season and maybe next and then make him number one if he proves himself.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
Isnt there a 4th possibility trading Andersen and re-signing both Hiller and Fasth? It is obvious that most Ducks-fans see Gibson as your future number one, so why try to keep Andersen in the fold if you are never going to use him anyway? I'll bet there is a club or two that could use him as backup this season and maybe next and then make him number one if he proves himself.
I`d still like to see Andersen and Gibson battle it out in NHL

Kalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

vCash: 157
Quote:
That's not very likely to happen. Teams usually wait and see which of the young prospects handles NHL job better, then they decide.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:18 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Quote:
I can't think of any team that needs a backup this year and next year, not at all. No sir, there is no team in California that can use a back up goaltender like Andersen for the next 2 years.

Anaheim isn't in the business of tending to Denmark's needs for it's young players, unfortunately.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:50 AM
getzforfighting*

Send a message via MSN to getzforfighting*
Quote:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 3:
In scenario 3, where does Fasth go? he's signed next season.

Looks like scenario 1 and 3 are the exact same to me.

getzforfighting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:01 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Well, my point was kinda that Fasth could become the odd man out whatever outcome. Scenario 3 is different because we sign a new #1. In scenario 1, we go with Andersen and have Fasth as backup goalie.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Bagge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I can't think of any team that needs a backup this year and next year, not at all. No sir, there is no team in California that can use a back up goaltender like Andersen for the next 2 years.

Anaheim isn't in the business of tending to Denmark's needs for it's young players, unfortunately.
Denmark's needs were not in my mind in this post as I reckon he will not be available to play for the national team in most of his career anyway. He made that choice when switching to NA a couple of years ago.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:32 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Scenario 1:
We don't know that. For all we know Fasth could come back healthy in a week and never get hurt again. That doesn't seem likely considering how nagging his injuries have been but you never know.

I'm comfortable going with those three next season. I think Andersen is the real deal and Gibson isn't far behind him. Hiller drives me crazy. He's lucky we're so good right now because he let's in a bad goal every single game. Yes he makes a lot of great saves but he also is terrible at playing the puck, holding onto pucks, and tracking shots through traffic. If Murph re-signs him I'm going to light his car on fire.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:10 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

I still think best option is to resign Hiller and trade Fasth.

If next yearAnderson or Gibson just take the league by storm then you can trade Hiller to a team that needs a goalie, but going in with purely 2 rookies is dangerous.

I also think that Hiller is a better goalie then Fasth, and so far Fasth's durability has brought my opinion of him lower.

Having a Backup goalie at 4m a year isn't a big deal if our start is only on a ELC.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:20 PM
rocsfeather
jump

I really don't want to lose Hiller. I know he has his moments but we know what we will typically get from him and when he's on, he's on.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:07 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
I still think best option is to resign Hiller and trade Fasth.

If next yearAnderson or Gibson just take the league by storm then you can trade Hiller to a team that needs a goalie, but going in with purely 2 rookies is dangerous.

I also think that Hiller is a better goalie then Fasth, and so far Fasth's durability has brought my opinion of him lower.

Having a Backup goalie at 4m a year isn't a big deal if our start is only on a ELC.
Why would Jonas Hiller want to come back here? He knows he's not the future of this team. The only contract the Ducks would offer him is a one-year deal and he'd be crazy to take it. He could get a long-term deal from another team and be their guy.

But say Hiller makes such a dumb decision, what if you can't trade Fasth? I feel the writing was very much on the wall for Hiller when Andersen signed his new deal. Not a chance Hiller comes back next year.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:19 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Why would Jonas Hiller want to come back here? He knows he's not the future of this team. The only contract the Ducks would offer him is a one-year deal and he'd be crazy to take it. He could get a long-term deal from another team and be their guy.

But say Hiller makes such a dumb decision, what if you can't trade Fasth? I feel the writing was very much on the wall for Hiller when Andersen signed his new deal. Not a chance Hiller comes back next year.

Could always just waive Fasth (like they did Bryz) and another team would pick him up, but I think there is still trades for him.

Why would Hiller want to come back here, to win? The only teams that would be really interested in him over their own starters aren't in any position to win anything.

He would probably have another season of 60/40 split with Anderson, Then a 50/50 split or bit more in Andersons favor then becoming the veteran backup. His best chance at winning a cup is staying with this team, I dont' see why he wouldn't want to stay.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:32 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Could always just waive Fasth (like they did Bryz) and another team would pick him up, but I think there is still trades for him.

Why would Hiller want to come back here, to win? The only teams that would be really interested in him over their own starters aren't in any position to win anything.

He would probably have another season of 60/40 split with Anderson, Then a 50/50 split or bit more in Andersons favor then becoming the veteran backup. His best chance at winning a cup is staying with this team, I dont' see why he wouldn't want to stay.
moneyz/term. and I dont see gibson staying in the minors for 2 more full seasons if hes pushing the issue.

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Ducksforcup
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Fasth seems too injury prone (unfortunately). Can't really rely on him atm to stay healthy.

Hard to say what I want for next year. With Fasth, Andersen, and Gibson all locked up next year, the writing does seem to be on the wall for Hiller, but that does leave an awfully inexperienced and as of yet relatively unproven tandem. Hiller has been pretty good for Anaheim and I would have no problem with retaining him...whether he wants to stay is another question.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:51 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:

$$$$$$

Old
01-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

I thought it was time to resurrect this thread. With the recent signing of Varlamov does anybody care to speculate what happens with Hiller and what road the Ducks take next season?

If Hiller maintains his current level of play I think he will definitely price himself out of ANA. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted something similar to Varly in term and $$. In the salary cap era it is important to get value out of your young players.With 2 very good prospects in the wings I just don't see the Ducks offering Hiller any deal beyond 2 years. Even if they offered 3 I don't think it would match other teams' offers, assuming he keeps up this play.

I'm more interested in what you think will happen as opposed to what you want to happen. But feel free to provide both.

Johnny Caravella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
The Sunshine Duke
Castleton Snob

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I thought it was time to resurrect this thread. With the recent signing of Varlamov does anybody care to speculate what happens with Hiller and what road the Ducks take next season?

If Hiller maintains his current level of play I think he will definitely price himself out of ANA. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted something similar to Varly in term and $$. In the salary cap era it is important to get value out of your young players.With 2 very good prospects in the wings I just don't see the Ducks offering Hiller any deal beyond 2 years. Even if they offered 3 I don't think it would match other teams' offers, assuming he keeps up this play.

I'm more interested in what you think will happen as opposed to what you want to happen. But feel free to provide both.
I think that Jonas will not be traded, but will walk when the season ends.

He's the best option we've got this season, but not good enough to pay what he'll command on the market.

The Sunshine Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post

He's the best option we've got this season, but not good enough to pay what he'll command on the market.
Well, you're in good company with that opinion.

Johnny Caravella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:54 PM
GreatBear

BM has already indicated that he is not trading Hiller this year.

Fasth should be recovered and back from his surgery after the Olympic break and what I suspect will be a conditioning term in Norfolk. The decision on what to do next year may depend upon how Fasth looks after he returns. If he is playing well, I see no reason why the Ducks would not go with a Fasth/Andersen tandem next year, perhaps splitting the games 50/50 to protect Fasth from injury. Based upon his play this year, I have no problem letting Andersen play a larger number of games next year. On the other hand, if Fasth comes back and gets injured again, after his surgery, it changes the approach for next year, and then the Ducks may look at signing Hiller again.

However, I think that we need to look at this from a longer term perspective as opposed to just next season. If we sign Hiller for a four year term, that really puts a crimp in our ability to develop both Andersen and Gibson. I realize at some point that we can't keep both, but better to put that decision as far into the future as possible, so that we can see how both develop. This concern would weigh against signing Hiller, particularly if he wants a raise to the Quick/Varlamov salary range.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 12:11 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

there is no reason to overpay hiller when there is a cheaper replacement ready to step in and play at a similar level

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Well, you're in good company with that opinion.
Count me in. Seems like the far most likely scenario to me at this point. Although I wouldn't be shocked to see Hiller take a pretty significant discount eventually to stay. Just a feeling that he wants to stay badly enough to make it a close consideration for him.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote