HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

what would you do if you were john muckler?

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2005, 07:18 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
And the problem with Bondra, that could very well occur with Havlat, is that he isn't a left winger. We already had several players like Bondra who could put the puck in the net, he wasn't needed. Muckler should have gone out and gotten a physical left winger for the team, but instead he got a guy who didn't bring anything to the table that we didn't already have. Chris Simon was available and look what he did in Calgary.

Old
07-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Pangu

The problem with Bondra may have simply been that he was joining a new team. I don't have any stats but it seems to me that trade deadline aquisitions are not all that effective.

Old
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
sensens

If Volchenkov really is gone, well you know that all of Curtis Leschyshyn, Todd Simpson, and Jason York are interested in coming back to Ottawa and will play for a discount. I say promote Meszaros to the #5 job and focus your development attention on him (including PP time on the 2nd unit), then sign whichever two of those three d-men you happen to like best (personally, I think Leschyshyn would be the best mentor for Meszaros, while Simpson gives you added toughness and versatility if you need it). Pothier basically shadows Meszaros' #5 role, and fills in as needed.

Top 6: Chara/Phillips, Redden/deVries, Meszaros/Leschyshyn
Reserves: Pothier, Simpson

Not ideal, but it's pretty strong and is already forward-looking enough to start getting Meszaros comfortable for an inevitable top-4 spot in the near future. Also, start work on bring over Kirill Lyamin (who seems to really want to come over), and possibly Phillipe Seydoux and start fillinging Binghamton back up with our higher-end defence prospects.

Last edited by sensens: 07-29-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old
07-29-2005, 11:13 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002
The problem with Bondra may have simply been that he was joining a new team. I don't have any stats but it seems to me that trade deadline aquisitions are not all that effective.
I agree with this. Rarely does a player make an impact after joining a team at the deadline. It's not as smooth a transition that people think it should be.

While Bondra was picked up shortly before the deadline, it still takes time to adjust. That's why I think de Vries will do well with the Sens, assuming he stays with the team.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Hmm...I would trade Havlat and Spezza to the Leafs for Wade Belak in a sign and trade...and then ink myself as #1 centre.

Belak-Muckler-Hossa

Old
07-30-2005, 01:25 AM
The Hamburglar

Not many people were complaining when we got Bondra. I'd say most of the people here were happy when the trade went down, and when he scored in his 1st game, everyone was even happier. At the time it was a good move and Muckler shouldn't be blamed for it. Also note that Bondra didn't have much time to adapt to a new team and new position, plus go into the playoffs at less than 100%. There wasn't many other options out there at that calibre at the trade deadline...Zhamnov may have been a better choice to acquire, and then move Smoke to the LW but that's in the past now.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Ismellofhockey

Why doesn't anyone remember that Bondra was injured in the last game of the season when hit by Domi?
That's mostly why he was ineffective.

The other reasons are that not only did he have to adapt to a new team, he also had to adapt to being on the left side and had to adapt to a new centerman every week as Martin juggled Smolinski, White and Fisher in there.

Why he didn't keep Smolinski there is a mystery, seems they had the most chemistry.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:31 AM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey
Why doesn't anyone remember that Bondra was injured in the last game of the season when hit by Domi?
That's mostly why he was ineffective.

The other reasons are that not only did he have to adapt to a new team, he also had to adapt to being on the left side and had to adapt to a new centerman every week as Martin juggled Smolinski, White and Fisher in there.

Why he didn't keep Smolinski there is a mystery, seems they had the most chemistry.
People do have short memories.

Bondra was hurt on yet another cheap shot by Domi leading into the playoffs.

Martin saddled Bondra and Alfie with an injured White, dragging down two of his most dangerous weapons and pissing off his future franchise player in the process, in the smingle worst coaching decision I have ever witnessed. (I swear Todd must have had compromising pictures) At least justice prevailed and Jacques was sent packing.

I'd love to have Bondra back, at the right price. He is fast, defensively responsible, plays both special teams and would be a fantastic replacement for Havlat on the 3rd line RW, allowing the Sens to still have the best RWers in the league.

Old
07-30-2005, 01:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

IMO there are a few things this organization needs to do.

1. We need to decide what to do at centre? Spezza seems to have the #1 centre spot which means who plays 2nd line centre? Do they fill it with a UFA (Holik, Lindros, Allison or other) or do they fill it from within (Fisher, Kaigorodov or Vermette) or there is always the possibility of a trade dangling White and Prusek out there which probably gets us very little. Also, the 4th line centre job will probably go to Kelly but with so many UFAs they may draw a tough guy from there.

2. What to do with LW? Move Havlat, Fisher or Vermette over to LW to increase scoring and some muscle or purchase a UFA (Gelinas) to fill this void? Again there is always the possibility of a trade and I would like to see the Sens make a move with Nashville for Hartnell.

3. This will depend on whether Volchenkov plays hard ball and decides to play in Russia for a year but he should talk to Yashin first if he decides that, two can play that game. If he does decide to stay away then I would expect Ottawa to go after a UFA defenceman or fill the void from within with Schubert.

4. Finally, after training camp we will have an indication which prospects will make the team and who should continue their development in Bingo. Guys like Kaigorodov, Mirnov, Lyamin, Seydoux, Wick, Eaves, Meszaros and Glass. This should be the year there is a high turnover in players but traditionally teams don't make a lot of changes. If any of these guys do make the Sens that that will free up a guy or two to dangle for trades. Guys like Varada, Smolinski, Prusek and Pothier could be available in a package to get another important piece of the puzzel.

Old
08-03-2005, 08:35 AM
26andreroy36

My point is that we didn't upgrade our coaching at all. Instead we bought out Jacques and essentially threw money down the drain for no reason at all. Like Jacques, Murray has won division championships, but in the playoffs he chokes, and loses to the Leafs no less.

Old
08-04-2005, 01:54 PM
sensruletheworld

I Know What Would Do

If i was john muckler i would Phucking retire....... I AM FREAKING 80 years old, and the wolves are after me.......

Closed Thread