HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CHI/FLA] Versteeg (50% cap hit) + Phillipe Lefebvre for Jimmy Hayes + Dylan Olsen

Old
11-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Bure All Day

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
He scored 54 points with the Panthers, and at one time was one of the best players on our roster. Not anymore.. guess we will see though, some players just regress. Look at Heatley, or Setoguchi, Havlat, Michalek..
All of those guys played for the Sharks... hmm..

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Behn Wilson

Jimmy Hayes is a nice player, was surprised he didn't crack hawks lineup. Hate to see him go but getting Versteeg at half salary is a no brainer.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RomersWorld*

Can't blame Versteeg for slacking off in Florida. They are just awful and he was probably miserable there. Now he can have a chance to win another Cup.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
caley

So, Kevin Hayes for Tomas Kopecky at the deadline? Tallon's gotta reunite the Hayes Boyes!

No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
At half his cap hit, it's low risk/high reward for the Hawks, especially as our prospect pool is so deep that Hayes and Olsen probably would've only barely seen the light of day in Chicago.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:15 PM
I Believe

The trade makes perfect sense for both teams.

I Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:15 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
So, Kevin Hayes for Tomas Kopecky at the deadline? Tallon's gotta reunite the Hayes Boyes!
Brad Boyes?

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Beg to differ.
What would we call the Frolik trade? Also bailed us out of Campbell's deal. I don't think you'll meet a single Hawks fan who feels like we've lost a trade to Tallon.

Taze em is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CapitalistInfidel

Looks like the Panthers needed to shore up their AHL team. It's not like Hayes and Olsen are 19 or 20 year old prospects. Hayes is 23 and Olsen is 22. Not much of a ceiling for either player.

CapitalistInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Love this trade for us. I loved Versteeg when he was in Chicago last. Tallon loved him too, which is why I'm surprised he traded him tonight but again, he deals with his former team and receives more players he's familiar with.

I'll admit I haven't watched him this year much but according to Panthers fans he's been pretty brutal. However, at $2.2M, there's not much of a risk for the Hawks. That's a pretty reasonable number for the production I expect he'll put up upon returning. He's back with a team he's familiar with and many of the players he played with and the head coach are still there. I think there's a great chance he plays well.

Olsen was a good prospect a few seasons ago but has fallen off quite substantially. Like Stanton who was lost to waivers for the same reason, he hasn't been able to crack Chicago's top six. We have too many NHL defensemen already and more prospects on the way that are passing him anyway.

As for Hayes, I think he's the better of the two going Florida's way but I was never too impressed with him. Not a bad prospect and there might be room for a bit more development but I think at best you're looking at him being a fourth-liner.

Overall I'm happy with this trade from our side. Panthers fans seem happy so I guess it's a good trade for both, although I think the return for Florida isn't great especially since they're retaining.

Was Florida already at 50 contracts, which is why Lefebvre was thrown in as well?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Doan Jidion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
I get it, he sucked for the Panthers. He fit well in the Hawks style before... to the tune of a Cup. I'm willing to bet 2.2 million he will be there again. If he is, people will shake their heads at a 2.2 mill cap hit for a 45 pt scorer on the third line, wondering how the Hawks keep fleecing Tallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Beg to differ.
Frolik for Skille was a pretty dynamite trade. He penalty-killed his way to a Cup for the Hawks. What'd Skille do?

Doan Jidion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Ricky Bobby

Florida is desperate to change the culture surrounding the team and Versteeg can be a complete Dbag in a losing environment with a weak leadership group. Witness his Toronto stint as well. Luckily he's going to a winning environment with a very strong leadership group that will keep him on track.

At a 2.2 cap hit I bet we're soon talking about him as one of the best bargains in the league cause he'll perform in Chicago but he wasn't going to do that in Florida as he'd already mentally checked out from there and was hindering the Panthers from growing as a team.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:18 PM
zytz
lumberjack

All I can think is OMFG it's Christmas in Chicago. Big fan of Versteeg, but he absolutely needs to be a complementary player, can't be a foundational piece of a team.

I liked Olsen, and really liked Hayes, and they're NHL players on most teams that aren't Chicago. Hayes is streaky, and Olsen just needs to learn to remember what he's doing on the ice and they can be contributors. 3rd line ceiling for Hayes, 5/6 ceiling for Olsen.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Florida is desperate to change the culture surrounding the team and Versteeg can be a complete Dbag in a losing environment with a weak leadership group. Witness his Toronto stint as well. Luckily he's going to a winning environment with a very strong leadership group that will keep him on track.

At a 2.2 cap hit I bet we're soon talking about him as one of the best bargains in the league cause he'll perform in Chicago but he wasn't going to do that in Florida as he'd already mentally checked out from there and was hindering the Panthers from growing as a team.
Great post and agree with all of it. Also, Toews/Kane are very good friends with Versteeg. Not a huge thing but that can't hurt in resigning them.

The biggest losers in this trade are Kane/Toews girlfriends. The band is back together and things are going to get weird.

Taze em is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:23 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Versteeg probably will do fine in Chicago because he's not a 1st line player there, like we had him in Florida.

I'm glad Hawks fans are happy, cause I'm glad to see him gone.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:24 PM
DrMom9900

Hawks fans are touchy

"Yay Versteeg is back"

"Versteeg sucks"

"Nuh uh, Florida sucks, You're hockey team is pathetic, u shouldn't even be a team, i hate everyone in a panthers jersey, relocate, and fire tallon, campbell is horrible and frolik won us the cup"

DrMom9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
No thank you

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
If not already mentioned Tallon did indeed have Olsen. He was definitely still in the Blackhawks organization at the time he was drafted and I'm not positive but he might have been one of Tallon's picks. He was drafted in 2009.

Hayes, however, was acquired by the Hawks about a month after Tallon went to Florida.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Versteeg probably will do fine in Chicago because he's not a 1st line player there, like we had him in Florida.

I'm glad Hawks fans are happy, cause I'm glad to see him gone.
Yeah, I never though he would be a first liner but my last great impression of him was during the playoffs against the Devils, thought he looked dangerous on every shift. Uhg, still wish the Panthers had won that series.

deytookerjaabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:26 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
All I can think is OMFG it's Christmas in Chicago. Big fan of Versteeg, but he absolutely needs to be a complementary player, can't be a foundational piece of a team.

I liked Olsen, and really liked Hayes, and they're NHL players on most teams that aren't Chicago. Hayes is streaky, and Olsen just needs to learn to remember what he's doing on the ice and they can be contributors. 3rd line ceiling for Hayes, 5/6 ceiling for Olsen.
Well...yeah

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Kurtosis
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMom9900 View Post
Hawks fans are touchy

"Yay Versteeg is back"

"Versteeg sucks"

"Nuh uh, Florida sucks, You're hockey team is pathetic, u shouldn't even be a team, i hate everyone in a panthers jersey, relocate, and fire tallon, campbell is horrible and frolik won us the cup"
You totally hit the nail on the head. Fantastic and insightful post.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:29 PM
CaptainCally

vCash: 50
Give them the cup already... That depth with those cornerstone players.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kurtosis
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
If not already mentioned Tallon did indeed have Olsen. He was definitely still in the Blackhawks organization at the time he was drafted and I'm not positive but he might have been one of Tallon's picks. He was drafted in 2009.

Hayes, however, was acquired by the Hawks about a month after Tallon went to Florida.
Yeah, I mentioned that back on page 2 I believe and people continued to question whether or not Tallon drafted him. Oh well.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Zirakzigil

vCash: 0
Good trade for both teams. Versteeg at half price is a great deal for the Hawks, while the Panthers get some decent prospects for a player no longer working for them.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

This is basically one way of buying out Versteeg while getting some bodies back

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote