HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft Thread (6/27-7PM; 6/28-10AM)

Old
02-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Once the playoffs are over, everyone will care

Absolutely!

(See bold)

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 04:50 PM
EspenK

Quote:
and hopefully not before.

And a belated congrats on the promotion.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 04:57 PM
RDriesenUD

I care about the draft, because it is one of the big reasons we are good now. Also, it will be a big reason why we, hopefully, stay good.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 06:03 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Precisely, my friend!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I care about the draft, because it is one of the big reasons we are good now. Also, it will be a big reason why we, hopefully, stay good.
Exactly!

Back in 2007-08, when the Spokane Chiefs had a long playoff run (and eventual Memorial Cup title); the league's Bantam draft came along, and the team's GM had to leave for two days during a playoff series (I believe it was the Finals, could be wrong) ...

Team owner Bobby Brett commented "isn't the draft usually a month or two later?" To which, team GM Tim Speltz said "No Bobby, our season is just usually over by now". During that draft, the team selected Mitch Holmberg in round 1; Brady Brassart in round 2, saw their third round pick (Medicine Hat - dealt the pick for a top-4 defenseman during the Cup run) become Todd Fiddler (later a Spokane Chief) and a 5th round pick that became Mike Aviani.

Why is all of this relevant? Because even an eventual Memorial Cup champion re-tooled for the future on that day. Every player I listed is currently spending their 20 year old season in the WHL. Stats:

Brady Brassart (Calgary Hitmen): 50gp, 22g, 27a, +10, 49PIM
Todd Fiddler (Prince George): 49gp, 32g, 37a, +0, 16PIM
Mike Aviani: 49gp, 30g, 30a, +21, 86PIM
Mitch Holmberg: 52gp, 47g, 45a, +28, 21PIM

Even the team's 4th round pick, Tanner Mort, was well on his way to becoming a top pairing defenseman in the league, until concussion problems derailed his career last season.

Drafts are hugely important ... you have to find talent each and every year to remain a contender. Since that Memorial Cup run, the Chiefs have had 40+ wins in every season except for one, advanced to the semi finals three times, and the conference finals once. I would love to see that kind of success out of the Blue Jackets.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 07:57 AM
RDriesenUD

Yep. Good post.

Old
02-13-2014, 08:14 PM
stevo61

Adrian Kempe is a guy I've never seen play but like what I've been reading about him. Sounds like he fits in perfectly with what we are doing AND can play LW. Ranked around the middle of the 1st, could be a potential target

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 12:58 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
Adrian Kempe is a guy I've never seen play but like what I've been reading about him. Sounds like he fits in perfectly with what we are doing AND can play LW. Ranked around the middle of the 1st, could be a potential target
I agree. Kempe would be one of my picks for the Jackets since he fits right in, perhaps could be a Boone Jenner type pick once he fills out and learns to play more of a North American game and is on the smaller ice surface which better suits his game. Some are projecting him as only a 3rd liner, but from what I've seen of him (on tv) his game suits NHL hockey, he has great speed and playmaking ability.

Kempe is the type of player that's really good on the forecheck, skates very well, very tenacious and hard working, and has more offensive skill then some of the draft guides give him credit for. It's hard to judge hockey smarts, but he seems to be a player who understands the game and is in the right place at the right time and makes the right play.

When Nylander was getting all the hype, Adrian Kempe was getting more ice time, being used in more situations and putting up more points. Modo is struggling to score (Anton Forsberg has a 2.47 gaa and 91.9% save percentage, but a 10-11 win/loss record). So, Kempe having 4g, 6a in 39 games is outstanding. It's not like he's getting a lot of help from linemates. Kempe is also 4th on the team in +/- as only a 17 year old.

I'm not sure where in the 1st round Kempe could go. He could go as high as the top 10 if a team really likes him.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 03:25 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I agree. Kempe would be one of my picks for the Jackets since he fits right in, perhaps could be a Boone Jenner type pick once he fills out and learns to play more of a North American game and is on the smaller ice surface which better suits his game. Some are projecting him as only a 3rd liner, but from what I've seen of him (on tv) his game suits NHL hockey, he has great speed and playmaking ability.

Kempe is the type of player that's really good on the forecheck, skates very well, very tenacious and hard working, and has more offensive skill then some of the draft guides give him credit for. It's hard to judge hockey smarts, but he seems to be a player who understands the game and is in the right place at the right time and makes the right play.

When Nylander was getting all the hype, Adrian Kempe was getting more ice time, being used in more situations and putting up more points. Modo is struggling to score (Anton Forsberg has a 2.47 gaa and 91.9% save percentage, but a 10-11 win/loss record). So, Kempe having 4g, 6a in 39 games is outstanding. It's not like he's getting a lot of help from linemates. Kempe is also 4th on the team in +/- as only a 17 year old.

I'm not sure where in the 1st round Kempe could go. He could go as high as the top 10 if a team really likes him.
I don't know that much about most of the draft prospects this year, so thanks for this.

Old
02-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

February Draft Chips...

http://thescoutingreport.org/whl-dra...-february-2014

Some changes to my list this month; many of these guys are really stepping their game up and the pack is closing together. I had an extremely difficult time gathering the list after Julius Honka ... there are several guys who should be mentioned for the 7-10 spots. Unfortunately, there are only so many ...

Enjoy the read

Old
02-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Some changes to my list this month; many of these guys are really stepping their game up and the pack is closing together. I had an extremely difficult time gathering the list after Julius Honka ... there are several guys who should be mentioned for the 7-10 spots. Unfortunately, there are only so many ...

Enjoy the read
I am extremely disappointed that no one seems to have tagged Julius Honka with the nickname "Honka Honka Burning Love".

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I am extremely disappointed that no one seems to have tagged Julius Honka with the nickname "Honka Honka Burning Love".
I usually think of him as an angry Italian ... "I Honka my horn atta you face!"

Old
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
cslebn

Quote:
or just simply, "Honka Honka" per NPH

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:52 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Or as a second choice (yours is first): Willy Honka

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 12:46 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Got a live look at Leon Draisaitl tonight ... Wow.

The kid's going to be an absolute stud. Obviously, I've seen him play quite a bit; but it's always nicer to get a look in person (Prince Albert is so far away, team only comes here once every other year). He's big, incredibly skilled, and just outright dominates every shift. He reminds me of Ryan Johansen in many ways ... he can slow the play down and back off defenders, has the vision to find guys that seem to come out of nowhere, and can catch the goalie off guard with his shot. In watching him, his timing and vision are really incredible; he seemed to fade away and the puck just seemed to come right to him every single time.

We won't be in a position to draft this guy, and it's bitter sweet. The kid is a stud.

Coming to town Saturday is Sam Reinhart and the Kootenay Ice ... will update after that game as well.

Old
02-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Ebbisen

vCash: 1094
Quote:

Enjoy the read
Thx Sore Loser i really enjoyed the read
Jake Virtanen sounds like a prospect Columbus could need, a power forward type. But i did read on the prospect forum that some people describe him as a player with alot of tools and no toolbox.

Last edited by Ebbisen: 02-20-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Ebbisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbisen View Post
Thx Sore Loser i really enjoyed the read
Jake Virtanen sounds like a prospect Columbus could need, a power forward type. But i did read on the prospect forum that some people describe him as a player with alot of tools and no toolbox.
I think that's an excellent thought, and Virtanen might be found in the range that we're selecting. I somewhat disagree with the no toolbox comment; he got off to a slow start this year but has really come on of late, and seems to be the guy carrying the load offensively for Calgary right now.

Any time you see a 17 year old reach 40 goals in the WHL (as it looks like Virtanen will), I think you have something special. He's a bigger kid and seems to be putting it all together at the right time.

EDIT: thanks for the compliment, by the way!

Old
02-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Adam Kimelman from NHL.com had us skipping Virtanen and Kempe for Honka. Seems kinda strange to me given how deep we are on defense, but I guess you just draft BPA since all are probably 2+ years away.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:23 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Adam Kimelman from NHL.com had us skipping Virtanen and Kempe for Honka. Seems kinda strange to me given how deep we are on defense, but I guess you just draft BPA since all are probably 2+ years away.
I personally wouldn't draft Honka over either player, but I can understand the logic. Honka's upside could be huge, or he could turn out to be another Ryan Ellis ... with that type of defenseman, it's just so hard to project where they may be in 2-3 years. And, I refuse to buy into the thought that Jarmo will draft a player ahead of another due to their nationality ... he's too smart for that.

If Honka is their guy in that range though, can't be too upset ... he's an incredible player, and he skates alongside Dillon Heatherington...

Old
02-21-2014, 05:07 AM
EspenK

Quote:
I'll chip in with my usual- I don't get the whole BPA thing. Yeah, if i absolutely knew who the BPA was I'd take him. I guess it depends on your definition of BPA. If its the best for our team, organization, needs, etc then I get it but to define it in an absolute sense makes no sense to me, especially once you get by the top three or four guys.

To me I'd still take the offensive guy who I felt would best fit because I still see more depth at D than at forward.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:42 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Seems kinda strange to me given how deep we are on defense, but I guess you just draft BPA since all are probably 2+ years away.
Defense might not be that deep once you get past the current large group of defensemen on the cusp of making the NHL. Looking ahead to 3 years from now, Reilly and Heatherington could be the only young defensemen in the system with a lot of upside. Madaisky and Larkin are struggling to even make the Springfield roster. Erixon, Goloubef, Prout and Savard likely are going to make it in the NHL in the next year or no longer be in the organization. Weber, Curcuruto and Blomqvist may end up to be busts.

I could see adding to the defensive depth with a player like Honka, who's a bit of a risk considering his size (and no one is quite sure if he's really 5'8 - 5'11 until the Combine). They have the depth to take a longsho and give him time to develop. It should be BPA, but with all the forwards drafted, there's no going to be room for all of them even in Springfield. If two players are equal, they could use another promising young defenseman more than another forward.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 09:15 AM
cbjfaninmo
Jarmo von Raschke

Quote:

Enjoy the read
Thanks SL. Good read.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I'll chip in with my usual- I don't get the whole BPA thing. Yeah, if i absolutely knew who the BPA was I'd take him. I guess it depends on your definition of BPA. If its the best for our team, organization, needs, etc then I get it but to define it in an absolute sense makes no sense to me, especially once you get by the top three or four guys.

To me I'd still take the offensive guy who I felt would best fit because I still see more depth at D than at forward.
The way I see it, BPA is like "beauty in the eye of the beholder" type thing. Very little consensus once past the first couple but, in my opinion, the first round is where you draft the best asset. Period. Doesn't matter position and what your "now" needs are. You can use the player or draft position to address needs. I would always look totake the talent I thought had the highest probability of success and the highest upside. Doesn't always work but that would be my strategy in the first round (barring a trade) and then move assets in the system for needs. Take the d-man if he's who we deem BPA

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
alphafox

While I still think this is a weak draft, the talent groups are quite large. I wonder if that fact will make teams more willing to move around during the first round. We are severely lacking in terms of physical size and left wing prospects. I think that it might be smart to pay a premium to get a guy like a Brendan Perlini or Jake Virtanen that has the size we lack or maybe a Haydn Fleury to add a physical edge.

Last edited by alphafox: 02-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.
alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
While I still think this is a weak draft, the talent groups are quite large. I wonder if that fact will make teams more willing to move around during the first round. We are severely lacking in terms of physical size and left wing prospects. I think that it might be smart to pay a premium to get a guy like a Brendan Perlini or Jake Virtanen that has the size we lack or maybe a Haydn Fleury to add a physical edge.
The last two "weak drafts" we've been a part of have produced Ryan Johansen and Ryan Murray; arguably the two most valuable pieces on the roster.

Hopefully it's a trend we can keep up ... I wouldn't call this year's draft weak, but the upside of many of the top guys isn't as high as in some of the recent drafts. The teams that come away with NHL players in this draft will be setting themselves up nicely for the future.