HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mowers signed

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2005, 01:31 PM
  #1
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming
 
GoBoltz56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa and Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Mowers signed

from Redwingscentral.com
Unrestricted free agent Mark Mowers signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, the Portsmouth Herald reports.

The one-year, one-way deal is expected to net the 5-foot-11, 188-pound forward the league minimum salary of $450,000.

Mowers had three goals and eight assists for 11 points in 53 games with the Red Wings in 2003-04, and split the lockout year between Sweden and Switzerland.

The versatile forward can play center or wing, and will likely be an inexpensive contributor on the team’s fourth line this season.

GoBoltz56 is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 01:39 PM
  #2
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,864
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBoltz56
from Redwingscentral.com
Unrestricted free agent Mark Mowers signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, the Portsmouth Herald reports.

The one-year, one-way deal is expected to net the 5-foot-11, 188-pound forward the league minimum salary of $450,000.

Mowers had three goals and eight assists for 11 points in 53 games with the Red Wings in 2003-04, and split the lockout year between Sweden and Switzerland.

The versatile forward can play center or wing, and will likely be an inexpensive contributor on the team’s fourth line this season.
not a shocking signing. He's cheap and won't hurt the Wings on the fourth line. Good depth guy.

Winger98 is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 02:42 PM
  #3
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Needed depth. No complaints here.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 04:08 PM
  #4
n00dles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Country: Greece
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
Anyone surprised that he got a one-way deal?
I guess that means he'll be in Detroit for the whole season, solid depth signing.

n00dles is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 04:50 PM
  #5
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming
 
GoBoltz56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa and Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
I read something last week that said Mowers was already under contract with a European team, and that he wouldn't sign with the wings unless it was a one-way deal..so i'm not completely surprised...but it bugs me a little, because grand rapids could definitely use his offense.

GoBoltz56 is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 05:41 PM
  #6
kira
Registered User
 
kira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: www.datsyuk13.com
Country: Ireland
Posts: 15,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Personally, I'm glad to see him back...he did a good job when so many were down with injuries.

kira is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 08:40 PM
  #7
Vincent Vega
GGTK
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Good guy to have on the 4th line.

Vincent Vega is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 09:07 PM
  #8
DETROIT SKABOY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Livonia Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DETROIT SKABOY Send a message via MSN to DETROIT SKABOY Send a message via Yahoo to DETROIT SKABOY
good news
now for datsyuk

DETROIT SKABOY is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 10:13 PM
  #9
kira
Registered User
 
kira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: www.datsyuk13.com
Country: Ireland
Posts: 15,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Can I get an Amen to that?

Pasha, come home!

kira is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 10:16 PM
  #10
Coffee and 7's*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 3,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
Can I get an Amen to that?
Amen!

Coffee and 7's* is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 11:01 PM
  #11
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
hed be a good 13th forward but not 12th... oh well.. so much for having a above average 4th line

zetterberg40 is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 11:10 PM
  #12
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
hed be a good 13th forward but not 12th... oh well.. so much for having a above average 4th line
Welcome to the new NHL. Time to stop living the fantasy, we've got a salary cap to stay within now. Every team's 4th line is going to be filled with players like Mowers, warm bodies playing for the minimum. The 3rd pair of D-men will be the same way, and probably the backup goalie too.

doublejack is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 11:27 PM
  #13
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Welcome to the new NHL. Time to stop living the fantasy, we've got a salary cap to stay within now. Every team's 4th line is going to be filled with players like Mowers, warm bodies playing for the minimum. The 3rd pair of D-men will be the same way, and probably the backup goalie too.
id rather see a guy at leage minn who brings something to the team then being average at best... mowers doesnt bring anything hes got average skills.. id rather see a filppula who knows nothing about nhl life in then him, i wouldnt even care

zetterberg40 is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 11:32 PM
  #14
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,780
vCash: 703
Yipee, Mark Mowers...Stanley Cup here we come

Just let me know if they get Yzerman, Datsyuk back, k?

"Cos if not....

octopi is offline  
Old
07-24-2005, 11:37 PM
  #15
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
id rather see a guy at leage minn who brings something to the team then being average at best... mowers doesnt bring anything hes got average skills.. id rather see a filppula who knows nothing about nhl life in then him, i wouldnt even care
Good point. Filppula will probably get a shot at the roster though, so Mowers could end up being the 13th or 14th forward.

doublejack is offline  
Old
07-29-2005, 07:32 AM
  #16
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Mowers was one of the guys that came in last season when all the old guys were hurt, and I thought the Wings played their best hockey during that stretch. The younger guys seemed hungrier and faster and played with a lot more spunk.

Also, does anyone else remember that crazy goal Mowers scored where he chipped the puck over the D's stick, came down the left side and roofed a backhander? That was amazing. There's a video of it at redwingscentral.com, I think.

I think he'll be good either on the 4th line or with Draper and Maltby.

sarcastro is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.