HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

The official Loui Eriksson thread (aka the official Tyler Seguin thread)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21 View Post
Like Segs as a player and watch some Dallas games to see how he's doing, was easy to predict he and Jamie Benn would go on a tear.

I think Eriksson still has a lot to show us however and looking forward to him getting rolling as the season goes on.
Well starting Monday they play 8 games in 12 days, so here we go.

Edit: 13 days but w/e.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:52 PM
bp13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B View Post
One things for sure, we have a pretty darn good record and I think the B's have only played one good complete 60 minute game (down in Tampa).

It stands to reason that as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines really start clicking (and scoring with some consistency), things can only get better, right? I certainly hope that's the case...
It's an excellent team. Tons of experience, solid D, great coach and great goaltending. And it should come as no surprise at all that a team coming off a Cup and Cup finals loss in 2 of the last 3 years doesn't look like world beaters early in the season. Great teams like that manage to rack up points when they're not overly sharp, and the Bruins are doing just that.

The key will be health, as always. Next up would be ensuring they are getting the needed secondary scoring from guys like Marchand, Smith, Kelly, Soderberg, etc. If those guys are areas of concern in a few months, then you look to upgrade there. In the meantime the young defensemen gain experience, the vets gel and all looks good.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:00 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
You seem to be the HF Seguin Guardian-at-the-Gate so I can tell you I would love to see him get 50. It would be so entertaining. It's just to bad guys like Thornton and Seguin leave and immediately turn or appear to turn in epic performances. One thing I will guarantee though is if Seguin goes for 50 he will tweet or say something somewhere about Boston that will make him if not public enemy number 1 at Bruins games in the conversation. The rejection by Chia, Cam, and Benning with scathing comments from Behind the B, and the crowd jeers will bring his emotions to the surface and he will say or write something. Kessel shut his mouth overall, Seguin I don't see doing this especially if he is with his Chicago hat wearing buddy.
I'm not the guardian of anything. I'm just not down with a lot of the revisionist history that seems to happen once a player moves on from here.

I agree with you about Seguin probably saying something. That seems to be something he'd do. I'd probably get a good chuckle out of it if he did, since most here would lose their minds.

For the record, I wasn't against moving Seguin. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the original trade that got us Seguin to start with. I personally thought that PC should have done more to keep Kessel, as I love his speed and offensive ability and thought that it was unique to the team. He was scary every time he had the puck in last year's playoffs too. Once Kessel was gone though, I wanted Seguin to become a suitable replacement for his offense. He looked to be well on his way, until last year. Now we've moved on from both, and I don't see a potential offensive replacement anywhere. That's why I think that too many guys of the same ilk may not be the best route to go. As always, my opinion is just my opinion.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:06 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
There is more than one blueprint to win the Stanley Cup, so I am not too concerned if the Bruins lack a high end forward. However, I hesitate because Seguin is one of the leagues most dynamic offensive talents. Yes, he had a bad year last year no one denies it, but you don't lead a good team in scoring at age 19 and all of a sudden lose that talent. Trading a 21 year old who has the talent to score 40 goals and a ppg may prove to be a mistake.

If the Bruins win the cup this year then mortgaging a part of the future for a championship is fine by me.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:08 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I'm not the guardian of anything. I'm just not down with a lot of the revisionist history that seems to happen once a player moves on from here.

I agree with you about Seguin probably saying something. That seems to be something he'd do. I'd probably get a good chuckle out of it if he did, since most here would lose their minds.

For the record, I wasn't against moving Seguin. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the original trade that got us Seguin to start with. I personally thought that PC should have done more to keep Kessel, as I love his speed and offensive ability and thought that it was unique to the team. He was scary every time he had the puck in last year's playoffs too. Once Kessel was gone though, I wanted Seguin to become a suitable replacement for his offense. He looked to be well on his way, until last year. Now we've moved on from both, and I don't see a potential offensive replacement anywhere. That's why I think that too many guys of the same ilk may not be the best route to go. As always, my opinion is just my opinion.
I definitely agree that when a player leaves, the negatives against them often get magnified by media and fans, but at the same time I think there's a reason you don't always hear about those things before they leave. Many of the boston sports writers are fans at heart and don't want to slander a guy who is still playing for their favorite team so I'm sure some stories are either ignored, written off, or kept quiet when the player is still here. The tweet about Seguin being bad for Boston's bar scene is a prime example...no business owner in Boston is gonna talk trash about him while he's still a Bruin b/c it only serves to hurt the team and their business, but you can see why things like that would come out after he's gone and there is no longer any negative backlash to worry about.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Segs with 4 beauties! Eriksson, one off the skate... Oh well, the Cam Neely karma had to kick in some time...

22 points in 19 games for 19 er 91, wow. Dallas at 10-7-2 looks great right now as they continue to rebuild.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:18 PM
EverettMike

How bad Seguin was in the playoffs last year has been exaggerated. Have you ever in your life seen a hockey player hit more goalie stick knobs?

I genuinely thought then and still think now that his lack of production was just as much a byproduct of horrific luck and being put down with the third line as it was his off-ice behavior. I don't want to absolve him entirely, but Marchand had a bad playoffs. Other guys had much worse finals. Also, it wasn't like the guy that took his spot on the Bergeron line did a ****ing thing.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:29 PM
bigcat188

Do you even notice Eriksson on the ice?..He seems softer then baby poop, just my $.02

Old
11-15-2013, 03:31 PM
kytem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Segs with 4 beauties! Eriksson, one off the skate... Oh well, the Cam Neely karma had to kick in some time...

22 points in 19 games for 19 er 91, wow. Dallas at 10-7-2 looks great right now as they continue to rebuild.
Loui has 3 goals so far:

1) seeing eye backhand on a rolling puck on bad ice in Columbus
2) one off his knee
3) one off his skate

Old
11-15-2013, 03:34 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2 View Post
Loui has 3 goals so far:

1) seeing eye backhand on a rolling puck on bad ice in Columbus
2) one off his knee
3) one off his skate
From in front,right in close,the dirty area??

Old
11-15-2013, 03:38 PM
kytem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
From in front,right in close,the dirty area??
So, he is getting credit for standing still now ?

The one off his knee was a Johnny Rocket he was desperately trying to get out of the way of.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
There is more than one blueprint to win the Stanley Cup, so I am not too concerned if the Bruins lack a high end forward. However, I hesitate because Seguin is one of the leagues most dynamic offensive talents. Yes, he had a bad year last year no one denies it, but you don't lead a good team in scoring at age 19 and all of a sudden lose that talent. Trading a 21 year old who has the talent to score 40 goals and a ppg may prove to be a mistake.

If the Bruins win the cup this year then mortgaging a part of the future for a championship is fine by me.
take the bold add the name Kessel and I have seen this all before.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Old
11-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Scotto74

Quote:

That is a talent. some of the best goal scorers ever to play didn't have pure skill in skating but made a living standing still. Dave Andreychuk, Phil Espo even Rex are a few that come to mind.

There are all different types of skill and standing still in front of the net and having the ability to deflect pucks or knock in rebounds or hell even to screen the goalie and take the D out of the play is a skill and a good one.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:48 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The one off his knee was a Johnny Rocket he was desperately trying to get out of the way of.
It's called balls!

Old
11-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
You're absolutely correct. The team is in a great spot, and has a solid core of key players. Lots to be excited about right now. How it all shakes out will be interesting to watch. If they show a continued lack of scoring, does PC go out and get someone at the deadline? Do they stand pat and coast through the regular season and then flip the switch in the playoffs? Can Iginla keep up his pace through the full year and through the playoffs? Can PB, BM, and LE get it together and gel? There have been a lot of growing pains early, and they're still in great position. If they figure it all out, they could be a very scary team to play come playoffs.
Where's that lack of scoring coming from? As of now, only two teams in the playoffs in the East score more than the Bruins (TB and Wsh). The Bruins are also 11th in the NHL with 7 of the 10 teams ahead of them from the West.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

If they have a lack of scoring, than 19 other have too... Top-10 in scoring ain't enough for you? What wouldn't be considered a lack of scoring to you? Top-5? Top-3? 1st?

Old
11-15-2013, 03:53 PM
TheBigBadB

Some players rise when they are considered the go to guy. He is that in Dallas. He still would just be another cog in the wheel on the Bruins and I dont think he felt the need to be the most important guy on the ice here. Plus he has a ton of motivation this year to prove to everyone he is an elite player and it seemed to invigorate his game. Good for him and let's see if he maintains that focus. It may prove to be a bad trade but if the Bruins go deep in the playoffs or win another cup then it was worth it.

If you look at it though, Smith is on our third line and playing well. Loui may still find his game as he gets more comfortable with the team. Fraser is tearing up the AHL in goals and looks close to ready to make the jump. All in all then Bruins may not end up with the best player in the deal, but they did get some good pieces even if its only Smith and Loui that pan out.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
That is a talent. some of the best goal scorers ever to play didn't have pure skill in skating but made a living standing still. Dave Andreychuk, Phil Espo even Rex are a few that come to mind.

There are all different types of skill and standing still in front of the net and having the ability to deflect pucks or knock in rebounds or hell even to screen the goalie and take the D out of the play is a skill and a good one.
No, you don't get it. Only highlight reel goals count. The dirty, gritty goals aren't important. And anyway, how could someone as soft as Eriksson score from in front of the net?

Old
11-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Spoked-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Where's that lack of scoring coming from? As of now, only two teams in the playoffs in the East score more than the Bruins (TB and Wsh). The Bruins are also 11th in the NHL with 7 of the 10 teams ahead of them from the West.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

If they have a lack of scoring, than 19 other have too... Top-10 in scoring ain't enough for you? What wouldn't be considered a lack of scoring to you? Top-5? Top-3? 1st?
Additionally, they are tops in the league at 1.72GA/G. Maybe they sacrificed some offense for better team defense?

Old
11-15-2013, 04:08 PM
kytem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
No, you don't get it. Only highlight reel goals count. The dirty, gritty goals aren't important. And anyway, how could someone as soft as Eriksson score from in front of the net?
Funny stuff. He has had 2 shots bounce off him, and he is suddenly being compared to Andreychuk and Esposito.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:12 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
take the bold add the name Kessel and I have seen this all before.
Tyler Seguin has the talent to be a far superior player than Phil Kessel.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
Additionally, they are tops in the league at 1.72GA/G. Maybe they sacrificed some offense for better team defense?
Team plus/minus of +18, tied for third with San Jose, behind only Anaheim (+24) and Colorado (+19). Next best East team is Tampa, at +9.

The Bruins would rather play solid defense with balanced scoring, but crashing the net and getting tips and rebounds isn't as thrilling as end-to-end rushes and constant odd-man breaks.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:17 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bass Neely View Post
Carl's physical play is not overwhelming but has been something of a treat, he is definitely not soft. And so far he has shown he is one of the best passers on the team, some of his passes are so creative that his teammates aren't even ready to field them.

For a guy who is half-blind in one eye, the Yeti is showing himself to be one of the best passers on the team. Great vision... great forechecking too.
Absolutely. Soderberg's crash into the end boards last night, playing the hand with this puck, and then dishing it to Chara in front while lying down was fantastic.

To keep it on topic, Loui had a sweet one time pass to Bergeron last night too that Bergy just missed burying.

The two of them together could be very good and I think we'll see it by the end of the season. If I recall correctly Smith and Marchand have shown some chemistry in their limited time together as well.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:20 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Iginla should be able to replicate Horton and Nate did zip on the Chicago series- as for Eriksson against Seguin, that 1 goal in 24 games might be tough. As long as Loui doesn't pull a Seguin-like matador job in game 6 on that PP that led to a Hawks shortie and life I'm fine with 1 goal in two dozen games. I don't expect the Calgary Tomato Cans on the playoff schedule.
Didn't Horton have a bad shoulder in the finals? I am not making excuses as everybody was banged up but if he was healthy,and I know with him,it is a big if,it may have been a different story.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Seguin is what the Bruins claimed they wanted for years, elite high offensive talent. They get their nose in a twist because he is a kid and then flip him. And this salary cap stuff is BS. 1.25 difference per year is why they "had" to move him. Nonsense. Seguin rubbing the Bruins nose in it from afar. But Eriksson is a two way guy right?

Old
11-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
Not sure how they improved this with Eriksson. The Bergeron line has always been this team strongest, rarely being on the ice for a goal regardless of who's on it. The Krejci line has spent far less time in their own zone this year and have a solid plus/minus this year... I don't think Iggy is the difference there.

Closed Thread