HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2013, 03:25 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
I wish we could add Brad Marchand but that is unrealistic given that the price to get him will be too much.

Old
12-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Jakey53

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifique View Post
What are some of your opinions on Frolik? The Jets are done, perhaps they start casting people off.
I would wait until more teams are out of the playoffs and more players come available. Maybe we can suck in Winnipeg to take Gormley and a first for Kane?

Old
12-15-2013, 05:20 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
I would wait until more teams are out of the playoffs and more players come available. Maybe we can suck in Winnipeg to take Gormley and a first for Kane?
Can't afford it. I would also be wary of Kane's alleged attitude problems.

Old
12-15-2013, 05:22 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
Can't afford it. I would also be wary of Kane's alleged attitude problems.
To be fair, most every young star would have an attitude problem playing in Winnipeg.

Old
12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Relatively cheap? I'd say he's earning double what he's worth.
Name a forward at 1.75 mill available that is at a pace of .6 per game in points and solid defensively? Name somebody at 3.5 that is available or less? I don't see us landing a top 6 forward better then Upshall unless we pay 5 mill or more for year which is not likely to happen or a rental, still not likely. Salary would have to go back, maybe some retained, but I think he would fit with Verby/Hanzel. Perhaps he plays better here second time around, like Vrby and DMO, or just as good, like Z.

Old
12-15-2013, 10:01 PM
rt
Powers Gold Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Name a forward at 1.75 mill available that is at a pace of .6 per game in points and solid defensively? Name somebody at 3.5 that is available or less? I don't see us landing a top 6 forward better then Upshall unless we pay 5 mill or more for year which is not likely to happen or a rental, still not likely. Salary would have to go back, maybe some retained, but I think he would fit with Verby/Hanzel. Perhaps he plays better here second time around, like Vrby and DMO, or just as good, like Z.
His career high in points is 34, and he's scored 20 or more goals exactly once in his career. Last year he put up a whopping five points TOTAL on the year. The season before? Exactly the same five points.

He's nothing special defensively, he's a non-contributor on either specialty team, and he's horrifically injury prone. His offensive game is based on rush scoring and really has no use for linemates. He's a hustle player, will go to the net, and has good hands in tight. He's not big or strong enough to be a power forward though. This is probably why he's so injury prone.

He's a dime a dozen player in the NHL. I don't think he's really any more effective than Chris Brown, for example, at this point. He's basically a smaller, more injury prone Korpikoski, except rather than being a elite defensive forward like Korpikoski, he's average or below average defensively. There is nothing special about Scott Upshall. Even at half price, I don't think there's much of a fit for him on this team. I prefer what Gilbert Brule and Jordan Szwarz bring to the table.

Last edited by rt: 12-15-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old
12-16-2013, 12:15 AM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Upshall is damaged goods. He was waiver wire fodder last year, except no one would take that contract. Pass.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:00 AM
cobra427

Quote:
His career high in points is 34, and he's scored 20 or more goals exactly once in his career. Last year he put up a whopping five points TOTAL on the year. The season before? Exactly the same five points.

He's nothing special defensively, he's a non-contributor on either specialty team, and he's horrifically injury prone. His offensive game is based on rush scoring and really has no use for linemates. He's a hustle player, will go to the net, and has good hands in tight. He's not big or strong enough to be a power forward though. This is probably why he's so injury prone.

He's a dime a dozen player in the NHL. I don't think he's really any more effective than Chris Brown, for example, at this point. He's basically a smaller, more injury prone Korpikoski, except rather than being a elite defensive forward like Korpikoski, he's average or below average defensively. There is nothing special about Scott Upshall. Even at half price, I don't think there's much of a fit for him on this team. I prefer what Gilbert Brule and Jordan Szwarz bring to the table.
He had injury problems that contributed to his poor production those 2 years. When he was here, and healthy, he had 27 points in 61 games before being traded. He has 18 points in 31 games this year, again he is healthy. He is plus 2 on a bad team and he gets PP and PK minutes, checked tonight, so I disagree with you there. I did not see tonight's game but I have watched the panthers quite a few times this year. I think he is solid defensively.

Brown, Brule and Schwarz have zero chance of producing in the top 6 this year, that is not a viable solution. The way he is playing now, Florida would likely want to much for him anyway. Maybe we just disagree on value/performance.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:02 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Upshall is damaged goods. He was waiver wire fodder last year, except no one would take that contract. Pass.
This isn't last year, he is playing really well, and he is not injured now. Last year doesn't matter...

Old
12-16-2013, 02:56 AM
rt
Powers Gold Label

He's had terrible injury problems his entire career. Sure, he's been healthy so far. Would anyone be shocked if he still need up sitting out 20-25 games this season, despite the solid start? Projecting his current numbers over 82 is pretty pointless if you don't think he will play 82.

His career high in points is 34 and he's thirty years old. At his price tag, that really ought to be the only argument needed.

If you want to talk about the speciality teams issue, just look it up. He's something like 7th and 8th among cats forwards in PP and PK time ice per game this year. In his only "full" season with the Yotes he was something like 11th and 12th. He didn't get any special teams times in Philly either. Guy has never been a factor on special teams in the NHL.

If he was put on waivers today, I bet he'd clear.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Upshall hasn't been the same since he tore his knee up against Calgary a few years back when he was with us . He's lost a step and it's really hurt him. Brule is the better option at this point.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:36 AM
cobra427

Quote:
He's had terrible injury problems his entire career. Sure, he's been healthy so far. Would anyone be shocked if he still need up sitting out 20-25 games this season, despite the solid start? Projecting his current numbers over 82 is pretty pointless if you don't think he will play 82.

His career high in points is 34 and he's thirty years old. At his price tag, that really ought to be the only argument needed.

If you want to talk about the speciality teams issue, just look it up. He's something like 7th and 8th among cats forwards in PP and PK time ice per game this year. In his only "full" season with the Yotes he was something like 11th and 12th. He didn't get any special teams times in Philly either. Guy has never been a factor on special teams in the NHL.

If he was put on waivers today, I bet he'd clear.
We just need him to be a top 6 forward, so I am not sure how important his PP or PK time will be, but he is getting more of both lately. He might clear wavers, Klesla did, would not surprise me either. Who has the room? If Florida will take some salary back, a number of teams would be interested, and maybe including us. He is not a steal at 3.5 million, there is risk for sure, all I am saying is that he might be a viable option. IMHO, he is better then any internal options, and if you have better external options, I am all for it, just not sure who that would be? Anyone better will cost us way more in salary, be a rental, or cost an asset we don't want to part with. If DM can pull something better off, I am all for it...

Old
12-16-2013, 12:41 PM
rt
Powers Gold Label

Quote:
We just need him to be a top 6 forward, so I am not sure how important his PP or PK time will be, but he is getting more of both lately. He might clear wavers, Klesla did, would not surprise me either. Who has the room? If Florida will take some salary back, a number of teams would be interested, and maybe including us. He is not a steal at 3.5 million, there is risk for sure, all I am saying is that he might be a viable option. IMHO, he is better then any internal options, and if you have better external options, I am all for it, just not sure who that would be? Anyone better will cost us way more in salary, be a rental, or cost an asset we don't want to part with. If DM can pull something better off, I am all for it...
I don't believe he can be a top six forward for us. My point is that an injury-prone, 34 point player that contributes nothing else in any other facet of the game is grossly overpaid at 3.5m/yr. A little less so at 1.75m/yr. but still not worth the trouble of using a roster spot on. We've already got a Rob Klinkhammer, who's essentially the same player, but younger, cheaper, healthier, bigger, stronger, and more effective on a cycling forecheck. We don't need an older, smaller, more expensive burned out version. I just don't think Upshall is a good fit for this team, and I think he's got a TERRIBLE value contract, which IMO, makes him very, very long shot as a Don Maloney acquisition.

I know you like him and think he'd be a good fit. I just disagree. That's all.

Old
12-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Karlkarotte

Quote:
I don't believe he can be a top six forward for us. My point is that an injury-prone, 34 point player that contributes nothing else in any other facet of the game is grossly overpaid at 3.5m/yr. A little less so at 1.75m/yr. but still not worth the trouble of using a roster spot on. We've already got a Rob Klinkhammer, who's essentially the same player, but younger, cheaper, healthier, bigger, stronger, and more effective on a cycling forecheck. We don't need an older, smaller, more expensive burned out version. I just don't think Upshall is a good fit for this team, and I think he's got a TERRIBLE value contract, which IMO, makes him very, very long shot as a Don Maloney acquisition.

I know you like him and think he'd be a good fit. I just disagree. That's all.
ya i would be bummed if we lost any assets for him.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:18 PM
jdfitz12

Need to pull trigger on deal soon.....season is slipping ...
Time to move assets for real help.
Kennedy needs to go. Not a second line player.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:31 PM
drgregg
millenials get off

I feel like it is this lousy cap situation, no one will take on salary dumps. I feel like there are many quality players out there that could likely be had, but bumping up against the cap has really chilled movement.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Desert Ice 11
;)

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfitz12 View Post
No need to hit the panic button now. I'd rather wait till trade deadline to get max value for players and hopefully make the coyotes better for long term.

I would rather see a team built for continual success rather than see a team squander assets to save one season. There is still plenty of hockey to play and some good players have been sitting.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:48 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Ice 11 View Post
No need to hit the panic button now. I'd rather wait till trade deadline to get max value for players and hopefully make the coyotes better for long term.

I would rather see a team built for continual success rather than see a team squander assets to save one season. There is still plenty of hockey to play and some good players have been sitting.
Well said, totally agree...

Old
12-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Naych_PHX
Hit'em with the Hein

Think theres anyway we could get Slater from Win for a fair price?

Or is Halpern sufficient enough? He reminds me of how we used Robert Lang.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Fallenone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfitz12 View Post
Isn't that what happen when "The Great One" ran the team? Traded away the future?

Old
12-18-2013, 04:22 PM
cobra427

I was looking at stats on Smith and he is middle of the pack (16ish) for starting goalies, those with 20 or more starts when it comes to save percentage. He also has faced the most shots, given up the most goals and has zero shut outs. I think he has been an average goalie so far this year. He has to be better for our team to be better.

I do think our GAA and shots against are partly the fault of our team D. Both of these are not typical of a Tip team. I know we have had injuries and constant line juggling, but the team D has to be better too. We have had plenty of disappointments on our D core. OEL has been playing ok but not great, but generally our top 4 is fine when healthy. Past that Klesla went MIA, Schlemko and Runblad have been disappointing, Stone good and Murhy excellent. Murphy had to be 10th on the depth chart during training camp, now he gets 24 minutes a game, something is wrong with that.

Hopefully Tip can figure it out because I don't think a trade will be there to fix the problem.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Fallenone

Quote:
I was looking at stats on Smith and he is middle of the pack (16ish) for starting goalies, those with 20 or more starts when it comes to save percentage. He also has faced the most shots, given up the most goals and has zero shut outs. I think he has been an average goalie so far this year. He has to be better for our team to be better.

I do think our GAA and shots against are partly the fault of our team D. Both of these are not typical of a Tip team. I know we have had injuries and constant line juggling, but the team D has to be better too. We have had plenty of disappointments on our D core. OEL has been playing ok but not great, but generally our top 4 is fine when healthy. Past that Klesla went MIA, Schlemko and Runblad have been disappointing, Stone good and Murhy excellent. Murphy had to be 10th on the depth chart during training camp, now he gets 24 minutes a game, something is wrong with that.

Hopefully Tip can figure it out because I don't think a trade will be there to fix the problem.
Tip has had a while to figure it out. Talk about MIA on the D. Yandle. I know you all are sick of hearing Me talk about it. He will rush up the ice as well as any Forward on the team. But he's not a forward. He forgets to play D. In spite of all the points he puts up. His +/- is one of the worst on the team. So on a whole other than OEL Our Blue Line is not much. Its a miracle Smitty I where he is.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:43 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenone View Post
Isn't that what happen when "The Great One" ran the team? Traded away the future?
Not really. I don't remember a big time deal where we unloaded a ton of prospects while Gretzky was here. We just had terrible drafting and had no future to trade in the first place.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Fallenone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Not really. I don't remember a big time deal where we unloaded a ton of prospects while Gretzky was here. We just had terrible drafting and had no future to trade in the first place.
I admit I wasn't here. But I remember reading about all the crazy trades he made.

Old
12-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Sinurgy
Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenone View Post
Tip has had a while to figure it out. Talk about MIA on the D. Yandle. I know you all are sick of hearing Me talk about it. He will rush up the ice as well as any Forward on the team. But he's not a forward. He forgets to play D. In spite of all the points he puts up. His +/- is one of the worst on the team. So on a whole other than OEL Our Blue Line is not much. Its a miracle Smitty I where he is.
Only because you're barking up the wrong tree. Complaining about Yandle like he's the reason the defense is slipping is misguided. That'd be like complaining about Z when the offense struggles. Yandle is a gambler for sure and that's probably reflected in his +/- but he helps far more than he hurts. That's not just offensively either, he's also second on the team in blocked shots.

As for Smitty, he has faced a lot of rubber this year and while he's stopped most of the ones he's supposed to, he hasn't really stole many games. You can hide behind GAA but you can't hide behind SV%. As of right now he ranks 25th in SV% out of goalies with at least 10 or more starts. It's certainly not all his fault but for the money he's making, he needs to be better.

For right now though, the team just needs to get healthy. Not until they can get the normal starters out there together for a good 10-15 game stretch will we be able to get a true feel for where this team's at. In my mind we're a long ways from needing to panic, there has been a lot of adversity this season mostly via injury yet the team is still 8 games over .500. I will take that!

Closed Thread