HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Surprised with Finn getting the snub. By all accounts he's been one of the top defenders in the OHL.
He is arguably the best. Honestly still in shock they took Bigras over him.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:47 PM
EON

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
did you watch the Subway Series? Bigras was easily the best OHL defenseman on the ice.

Also very disappointed that Brown didn't at least get an invite, but not that surprised either with only 25 players getting an invite.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:50 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Bigras is a great player. I'm more surprised Pelech made it over him, and I like Pelech.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:51 PM
EON

Quote:
Bigras is a great player. I'm more surprised Pelech made it over him, and I like Pelech.
obviously I'm biased here, but from the two times I've seen Erie and Guelph play I think Pelech is the better dman.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
did you watch the Subway Series? Bigras was easily the best OHL defenseman on the ice.

Also very disappointed that Brown didn't at least get an invite, but not that surprised either with only 25 players getting an invite.
Is this what we're about now? Have we gotten this desperate? We don't even bother scouting the leagues anymore, just 6 games in a meaningless series. Finn is the better player and it's not even really debatable. Only thing Bigras does better is skating.

Wait, Pelech made it too? Damn.

And here you go Interactif:

@mirtle: Brent Sutter says it was a no-brainer to have Leafs prospect Fred Gauthier on team.

Last edited by Future: 12-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
12-02-2013, 12:53 PM
EON

Quote:
Is this what we're about now? Have we gotten this desperate? We don't even bother scouting the leagues anymore, just 6 games in a meaningless series.

@mirtle: Brent Sutter says it was a no-brainer to have Leafs prospect Fred Gauthier on team.
Bigras almost made the Avalanche this season as a second round pick. I'm sure they do plenty of scouting on the league games but Bigras was very impressive at the Super Series and I'm sure that swayed the judgement his way.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

But Gauthier doesn't provide offense nor defense. Bust the moment he was drafted.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:55 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Roster selection seems weird this year. Lots of notably players cut and surprise players kept.

Bigras is probably the most notably, with Pelech a close second. Bigras is just a weird pick. Team isn't doing well, he's not playing exceptionally well. Maybe they think he's being hidden by a crap team?

Not having even one of Finn, Theodore or Nurse is a bit of a big surprise. Theodore I suppose makes the most sense not to have with older PMD's like Pouliot and Dumba, and it was likely a toss up between him and Morrisey.

But not having either Nurse or Finn, probably the two most complete defenders in the OHL right now, is a bit shocking.

Girard is an interesting pick. He's probably the best faceoff guy in the Q. Him and Gauthier might be the keys to the Canadian PK strategy.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:58 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Bigras almost made the Avalanche this season as a second round pick. I'm sure they do plenty of scouting on the league games but Bigras was very impressive at the Super Series and I'm sure that swayed the judgement his way.
That's interesting to hear. Maybe they're concerned about Finn's potential for injury, and Nurse's penchant for PIM's.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Future

Quote:
Thinking it over, Bigras' skating is really good so maybe they are banking on him translating better. Still, to me it's still stupid to take a worse player because of only that. I could understand more if they were like neck and neck, but Finn has been probably the best all around D this season in the OHL.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:03 PM
EON

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
That's interesting to hear. Maybe they're concerned about Finn's potential for injury, and Nurse's penchant for PIM's.
As Herb Brooks once said, its about the right players not the best players. Canada has "struggled" recently and they went with something different this time. If it blows up in their face they'll get some serious heat for not taking guys like Nurse, Finn, Domi, Gaunce, Poirier, etc. We'll see how it works out.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:04 PM
EON

Quote:
Thinking it over, Bigras' skating is really good so maybe they are banking on him translating better. Still, to me it's still stupid to take a worse player because of only that. I could understand more if they were like neck and neck, but Finn has been probably the best all around D this season in the OHL.
I disagree, Nurse has been the best all-around dman, and he isn't there either. I'm sure they have a plan and reasoning as to why they chose who they chose.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Future

Quote:
I disagree, Nurse has been the best all-around dman, and he isn't there either. I'm sure they have a plan and reasoning as to why they chose who they chose.
Yeah I posted on the Oilers board about how him and Finn have been the best. With Nurse he has been awkward and undisciplined at times but he definitely should be there. I don't understand why these two were left off, but it seems I'm always left scratching my head every year recently about the selections.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Johny Drama

Finn is a head scratcher.

Skating was said to be an issue, but I thought he looked VERY mobile while paired with Reilly in the prospects game they played together. Finn seems to have that 2-way game that the WJ team always covets, so its a big surprise.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:21 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Is this what we're about now? Have we gotten this desperate? We don't even bother scouting the leagues anymore, just 6 games in a meaningless series. Finn is the better player and it's not even really debatable. Only thing Bigras does better is skating.

Wait, Pelech made it too? Damn.

Explain how does this have anything to do with myself or many of us wanting him to show some progression offensively this year?

Old
12-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Explain how does this have anything to do with myself or many of us wanting him to show some progression offensively this year?
It's not just that. You've been citing plus/minus stats and using it as a reason to say he has not been playing well at all defensively aswell.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:30 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
It's not just that. You've been citing plus/minus stats and using it as a reason to say he has not been playing well at all defensively aswell.
Plus minus is a hard stat, as are goals and assists. Shall we ignore only selected stats? My feelings have not changed on this prospect. When you pick a player 21st overall, you hope their ceiling is higher than a 3rd line player.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Future

Quote:
Plus minus is a hard stat, as are goals and assists. Shall we ignore only selected stats? My feelings have not changed on this prospect. When you pick a player 21st overall, you hope their ceiling is higher than a 3rd line player.
Nonis has said he is a project and is gonna take awhile to develop. I know you really want to see that sexy massive jump in offensive production but maybe it's not realistic at this point. Gauthier is a guy that is gonna require a lot of patience.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:42 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Surprised with Finn getting the snub. By all accounts he's been one of the top defenders in the OHL.
Only taking 25 guys, the Dub has some great players so I'm not shocked in the slightest

Old
12-02-2013, 01:44 PM
sniper81

Quote:
They said nurse hasn't/ didn't show the ability to play a simple game and that's the reason he was left off.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:56 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Roster selection seems weird this year. Lots of notably players cut and surprise players kept.

Bigras is probably the most notably, with Pelech a close second. Bigras is just a weird pick. Team isn't doing well, he's not playing exceptionally well. Maybe they think he's being hidden by a crap team?

Not having even one of Finn, Theodore or Nurse is a bit of a big surprise. Theodore I suppose makes the most sense not to have with older PMD's like Pouliot and Dumba, and it was likely a toss up between him and Morrisey.

But not having either Nurse or Finn, probably the two most complete defenders in the OHL right now, is a bit shocking.

Girard is an interesting pick. He's probably the best faceoff guy in the Q. Him and Gauthier might be the keys to the Canadian PK strategy.
My opinion is styles may have done Finn in, he isn't a shut down D or an Offensive D man. He is a little of both. I love Matt, wish he was at the selection camp. But his skating may have been the overriding factor. Being on a bigger ice surface I can see this working against him.

Old
12-02-2013, 03:02 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
They said nurse hasn't/ didn't show the ability to play a simple game and that's the reason he was left off.
Yeah they said in the Subway Series he was trying too hard to do too much. And I'll bet that although they didn't say it, they weren't exactly thrilled with his tendency to pile up the penalty minutes.

Old
12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

With only two cuts to be made up front and Sutter loving Gauthier's game he's all but made the team. Good for him, hope he can have a good tournament in the role he's given and come back to Rimouski and have a great second half.

Old
12-02-2013, 04:43 PM
pooleboy

Quote:
Nonis has said he is a project and is gonna take awhile to develop. I know you really want to see that sexy massive jump in offensive production but maybe it's not realistic at this point. Gauthier is a guy that is gonna require a lot of patience.
have u met leafnation? patience is something people lack around here....

Old
12-02-2013, 05:22 PM
ULF_55

Quote:
Matt Finn is a good example why I hate throwing in 2nd rd picks into deals. I recall the 2012 draft, I had him in there with Maata, Koekkoek, Ceci,

Looks like a player, said at the time, it was almost like we had 2 first rd picks this draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So is he going to the WJC?
Dumba didn't make it 2 years in a row.

He's now in the NHL, but is going again to the selection camp. I'd have to guess he's a lock.

The 197475 season saw another change to its playoff system to accommodate the league of 18 teams, twelve of which qualified for the playoffs. The top team from each division would earn a bye to the quarterfinal, while the second- and third-place teams from each division started their playoff run from a best-of-three preliminary round.
Closed Thread