HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
horner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
have u met leafnation? patience is something people lack around here....
For Sure

Once I heard that he was selected, I couldn't wait to get home and see what comments some of the people had to say on this site.

What is funny, is that people that hate this pick, can't even muster up a congrats to Gauthier for being invited to the team.

WOW WOW

Old
12-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Duffman955

Leaving Nurse and Finn off the team is just stupid. Nurse is clearly better than half the defensemen they chose, maybe more.

A lot of the picks they made are headscratchers. Going to be another disappointing WJC tournament for the Canadians.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:12 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Leaving Nurse and Finn off the team is just stupid. Nurse is clearly better than half the defensemen they chose, maybe more.

A lot of the picks they made are headscratchers. Going to be another disappointing WJC tournament for the Canadians.
Maybe something to do with skating?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Maybe something to do with skating?
If all you need is skating, the Ron Wilson leafs would have won the stanley cup 4 years in a row.

The group of players they picked is confusing since there are clearly better players in the specific roles than some of the selections they made.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:25 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
If all you need is skating, the Ron Wilson leafs would have won the stanley cup 4 years in a row.

The group of players they picked is confusing since there are clearly better players in the specific roles than some of the selections they made.
Do you think their is a huge difference between the players they selected and those who did not make it?

On the big ice, for example, skating may be a more important issue than having a good point shot.

Could Finn have fallen prey to the "unreliable health" situation? You really can't afford to lose players in that tournament.

EDIT: I'm not bashing Finn, I had absolutely nothing to do with the selections.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Do you think their is a huge difference between the players they selected and those who did not make it?

On the big ice, for example, skating may be a more important issue than having a good point shot.

Could Finn have fallen prey to the "unreliable health" situation? You really can't afford to lose players in that tournament.

Not just Finn, I would take Nurse over all but a couple Defensemen on that roster.

Domi, Poirier, Theodore, should also be on the team, as they are better than some of the players taken.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:03 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not just Finn, I would take Nurse over all but a couple Defensemen on that roster.

Domi, Poirier, Theodore, should also be on the team, as they are better than some of the players taken.
From what I gather the bias would be towards a team they feel would have the best chance to win.

Team Canada isn't run by NHL GM's, or their scouting staffs.

Kind of hard to believe their perspective is not better than fans of specific players.

I was thrilled when the Leafs had several players on the WJC teams in the past, but it didn't mean anything in reality to the Leafs success.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Joey Hoser

Yeah, I'm hot a huge junior follower or anything, but I'm having a hard time trying to justify some of those picks. No Nurse really requires an explanation.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:13 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Yeah, I'm hot a huge junior follower or anything, but I'm having a hard time trying to justify some of those picks. No Nurse really requires an explanation.
You can't hide the results.

Just like the past several years, there are no secrets once the games are done.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:18 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Nice to see Gauthier in there. He looked pretty good in the sandwich series. I think he's going to see a lot of pk time. He's a monster in the d-zone

Old
12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
sniper81

Quote:

I've watched domi a lot this year and he has looked bad up until maybe 3 weeks ago when they put him with 16 year old Mitch Marner. He also didn't look good in the super series. Take this for what you will But I've over heard some people say that the knights management staff has been unimpressed by his play so far, just expect more out of him. Can't comment on poirer or Theodore as I don't get to watch them much. Sounds as if Leier stole poirer's spot, maybe HC thinks he can bring more in and international tournament.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:41 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Fortunately for us Sutter gave an explanation. He said Nurse was still trying to do too much himself. Which suggests they made a point of telling him to simplify his game, but his style did not change.

As a result hockey Canada decided to take players they thought will be better fits for the team, even if they're raw talent isn't as good as what Nurse has to offer.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
Fortunately for us Sutter gave an explanation. He said Nurse was still trying to do too much himself. Which suggests they made a point of telling him to simplify his game, but his style did not change.

As a result hockey Canada decided to take players they thought will be better fits for the team, even if they're raw talent isn't as good as what Nurse has to offer.
All I hear is that they left off better players because the coach wanted to seem big.

They are going to lose, like they have been doing in the past few tourneys.

Old
12-03-2013, 05:33 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I thought it was a nice pic after Herzog scored the OT winner. You can even see Gauthier in the back.

BTW, he's going to WJC.

Old
12-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Center Ice Scrum

vCash: 50
Just watched that game on-demand. Herzog is the hockey equivalent of the garbage man. Both goals were scored off of crappy rebounds after Erne drove the net. 1st goal he slid the puck under the sprawling goalie, 2nd goal the goalie was out of position after Erne drove wide on him trying to wrap it around. Gauthier's goal was a one time snap shot from 5 feet in front of the net (it was a really slick pass by Trainor). All in all both kids look good. I think Herzog will definitely make it to the bigs because unlike 99% of the forwards in juniors, he stops in front of the net and cleans up the trash. His game reminds me a ton of Thomas Vanek. Obv he doesn't have the puck handling skills and his shot is not quite there but this kid is money around the net.

Old
12-03-2013, 07:56 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:

better doesnt mean they should absolutely be on the team. When they're making this roster they aren't just going to take the 15 best forwards, 8 best dmen, they're looking for the right players, a good balance.

That being said Domi absolutely did not deserve to make this team. He's been awful this season up until being put on a line with Tierney and Marner. And he was downright terrible in the Super Series, turned the puck over repeatedly.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:03 AM
HeroNtF

Comments I saw online as to why nurse didnt make it was the fact that he was trying to hard in the subway series and was unable to play a basic sound game, maybe finn was trying a bit to hard as well ?

Sometimes you go with the people who are doing the little things right and play a sound game, and not go all top talent players through the lineup.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:05 AM
SprDaVE

I also thought Finn was a close lock but considering they didn't invite as much as they usually do, I think it makes sense. Oh well.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Dumba didn't make it 2 years in a row.

He's now in the NHL, but is going again to the selection camp. I'd have to guess he's a lock.
Which is surprising since his last international tournament in the under 17, he was scoring like Bobby Orr for team canada. Didn't he lead that team in scoring? Perhaps a mistake.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:24 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Thinking it over, Bigras' skating is really good so maybe they are banking on him translating better. Still, to me it's still stupid to take a worse player because of only that. I could understand more if they were like neck and neck, but Finn has been probably the best all around D this season in the OHL.
Yet Pelech's skating is his biggest weakness. He's sort of a lumbering dman, and you'd think if they were trying to build a team who could compete on the bigger ice surface, they'd not take him at all.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:40 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I thought it was a nice pic after Herzog scored the OT winner. You can even see Gauthier in the back.

BTW, he's going to WJC.

The Remparts have the nicest jerseys in all of hockey.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:45 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

I suspect Finn's health might have been a potential issue for them. And honestly I don't blame them. They're already missing Reinhart for three games, why risk having another top 4 guy miss time from potential injury. It could devastate them.

And if skating was such a big issue, they wouldn't have had Pelech on the selection roster lol.

Old
12-03-2013, 10:24 AM
ChrisCall

Much as Andreas has stopped scoring, i notice that the entire team has stopped scoring. ... Literally. It's like Frolunda hasn't scored a goal in 10 games. Can anyone shed light on this?

Old
12-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCall View Post
Much as Andreas has stopped scoring, i notice that the entire team has stopped scoring. ... Literally. It's like Frolunda hasn't scored a goal in 10 games. Can anyone shed light on this?
Yea haven't seen KRM or the other Swedish guy in here for awhile, never a good thing.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Highlander23

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCall View Post
Some bad games, been snake-bitten some other games, his line attract more attention than before which is normal considering how well they have been playing.

watch him score 2 tomorrow

Closed Thread