HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Patience

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
That's not exactly what I meant at all.

You missed my point.
As far as I'm concerned, you two are saying the same thing.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Remember that stud Chris Didomenico?
I was rocking a Didomenico avatar until like... this past July.

But honestly, if you weren't pulling that guy, you have no heart.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Stringer Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you two are saying the same thing.
Look at their play, not their stats? That's not what I was saying. That's obvious. Ruegsegger, Nicholls, and Champagne all were engaged physically, played at both ends of the ice, played the PK, etc. Ruesegger and Rau always had their motor going, etc. None were lazy. All of them earned their points, and their goals. They were leaders on their team, big game performers, etc. I'm not talking about their play as in, oh these guys were perimeter players, were products of a good player or good team...like what people think of Brad Boyes on the Islanders despite all of his points etc.

I'm talking about the really small things --- stuff that most of us fans would never notice. Like their skating technique, their first step/stride, their acceleration.....little tiny things that our scouts saw that said "they have everything else, but this one thing will prevent him from adjusting to the pro game."

I'm not talking about simply NOT stat watching. Give me a break.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Patience

Quote:
Look at their play, not their stats? That's not what I was saying. That's obvious. Ruegsegger, Nicholls, and Champagne all were engaged physically, played at both ends of the ice, played the PK, etc. Ruesegger and Rau always had their motor going, etc. None were lazy. All of them earned their points, and their goals. They were leaders on their team, big game performers, etc. I'm not talking about their play as in, oh these guys were perimeter players, were products of a good player or good team...like what people think of Brad Boyes on the Islanders despite all of his points etc.

I'm talking about the really small things --- stuff that most of us fans would never notice. Like their skating technique, their first step/stride, their acceleration.....little tiny things that our scouts saw that said "they have everything else, but this one thing will prevent him from adjusting to the pro game."

I think some of it can be seen to the naked eye. Champagne was a lousy skater and didn't improve enough to justify a contract.

Ruegsegger's skating wasn't that great for the type of player he's supposed to be and for 4 years maturation in the NCAA. I got the sense that the Leafs' hockey people liked his personal character more than his abilities as a hockey player.

I never saw much of Nicholls. What I saw was a lightly built player with an awkward stride reminiscent of Jeremy Williams.

I think you're putting way too much into the culling process. We're talking about declining contracts to the least of the team's drafted prospects. That's not genius. They've also given many contracts to their share of future AHL dogs too like every other NHL team. They weren't able to identify that none of Alex Berry, Brayden Irwin, Robert Slaney, Stefano Giliati and Kyle Rogers deserved a contract.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Stringer Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I think some of it can be seen to the naked eye. Champagne was a lousy skater and didn't improve enough to justify a contract.

Ruegsegger's skating wasn't that great for the type of player he's supposed to be and for 4 years maturation in the NCAA. I got the sense that the Leafs' hockey people liked his personal character more than his abilities as a hockey player.

I never saw much of Nicholls. What I saw was a lightly built player with an awkward stride reminiscent of Jeremy Williams.

I think you're putting way too much into the culling process. We're talking about declining contracts to the least of the team's drafted prospects. That's not genius. They've also given many contracts to their share of future AHL dogs too like every other NHL team. They weren't able to identify that none of Alex Berry, Brayden Irwin, Robert Slaney, Stefano Giliati and Kyle Rogers deserved a contract.
I never called it genius, I called it neat. And most of us knew these things about the players from reading scouting reports, not from watching them play. Anyways.

Old
12-05-2013, 08:38 PM
EON

vCash: 400
three assists for Brown in a 6-1 win over Peterborough. Now tied with team-mate Dane Fox for the scoring lead with 58 points in 29 games.

Old
12-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
I was rocking a Didomenico avatar until like... this past July.

But honestly, if you weren't pulling that guy, you have no heart.
I was pulling for him, until i faced him in beer league and he slashed my stick and said "do you know who i am? I play in the show"

Old
12-06-2013, 12:27 AM
ChrisCall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
I was pulling for him, until i faced him in beer league and he slashed my stick and said "do you know who i am? I play in the show"
The Italian show?

Old
12-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCall View Post
The Italian show?
The no show ?

Old
12-06-2013, 09:19 AM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Probably would've punched his entitled face.

Old
12-06-2013, 09:26 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
I wouldn't even consider him a plug

Old
12-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Completely unprovoked? Just skated up to you minding your own business and smashed your stick and said that? I'm finding it hard to believe.

I'm guessing there was more to this if it's true.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Torgo

Quote:

That's the type of thing I was referring to.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Duffman955

Stats in Junior usually don't equal production at the NHL level.

You need to actually watch the games and try to determine what skills will translate well into the NHL and what skills won't.

That is the difficulty in gauging how well a prospect is doing. Thats why I encourage all you folk to watch the games and not just the stats to form an opinion.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:48 PM
p.l.f.
use the force

Report: Yankees, Kuroda agree to one-year, $16M contract

Old
12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Report: Yankees, Kuroda agree to one-year, $16M contract
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Hiroki Kuroda ladies and gentlemen.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:03 PM
S2S
6-8-5-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Hiroki Kuroda ladies and gentlemen.
Only a 3-1 k/bb ratio? Bust.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:31 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Only a 3-1 k/bb ratio? Bust.
You know that the k/bb ratio is like the +/- of the NHL. Go wash your hands for typing that monstrosity on your keyboard and curl up with your calculator choir boy

Old
12-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Highlander23

Viktor Loov scored another goal today. The one swedish guy flying under the radar

7pts (3gls) 47 hits in 29 games

Edit: he is a defensman, in the mold of a gunnarson with better offence

Profil: A two-way defenseman with good size and a great attitude. Team player and a pretty consistent player. Has some pretty good offensive skills to go with his defense. Very good passer. Not super fast, but mobile. Could improve his shot.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
You'll love his twitter then.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:37 PM
VanW27

The Herzog with a short handed goal in Halifax tonight. Still a period to go.

Edit: also catch Brown on Sportsnet right now.
Brown hasn't been playing with McDavid, he's been with Gaunce and Fox since the Gaunce trade.

Old
12-06-2013, 07:17 PM
ChrisCall

With the shot like that, it seems like a no brainer for the Leafs (or someone) to sign Fox and see what happens. The guy has some really legit moments out there. I love Brown's play so much as well. If i absolutely had to choose, i would take Brown because he works so hard every shift. Harder than anyone (besides maybe McDavid just because). Lots of creativity too, uses the body and speed ability.

Last edited by ChrisCall: 12-06-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old
12-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Brown is such a smart and shifty offensive player. Really good hands and good dekes. Reminds me of Kris Versteeg a bit.

Old
12-06-2013, 08:26 PM
ChrisCall

Now, i'm not saying that Gauthier is a Bustier at all, as i do think there's all kinds of value there, but from the few games i've seen (not every, but a few) from each player, Andre Burakovsky is currently one full level higher in overall ability.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:07 PM
EON

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCall View Post
Now, i'm not saying that Gauthier is a Bustier at all, as i do think there's all kinds of value there, but from the few games i've seen (not every, but a few) from each player, Andre Burakovsky is currently one full level higher in overall ability.
I love Burakovsky, great player. Tons of speed and a crazy wrist shot. But I don't think theres any doubt Gauthier is better defensively. It's also easier to look good on a 25-4-1-0 team with McDavid on your line than it is on a 16-10-2-3 team.

Closed Thread