HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2013, 05:52 PM
  #151
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,365
vCash: 500
The point you made about point production was valid. But Gauthier and Getzlaf aren't good comparables.

Rare Jewel is online now  
Old
11-21-2013, 06:06 PM
  #152
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hockeytown
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
What makes you say this? He's got a hell of a shot, and amazing IQ.

In his first AHL year, Lupul put up 56 points in 65 games, and this was after getting 75 games in the NHL the previous year.

I believe Leivo will eclipse those numbers this year, despite being a year younger than when Lupul did it and not having the NHL experience Lupul did.

I would take Leivo in the 1st round of 2011 if we did a re-draft.
Lupul put up over 100 points in his draft year. Also you can't expect Leivo to put up the totals that Lupul did. Those are some great numbers for a AHL rookie.

If you're comparing Leivo to lupul today there's a palying style comparison of sorts, but overall they're not similar. Lupul is a much better skater, has much better hands, and is more noticeably physical. Leivo is more of a hard working cycle player who gets shots off of the cycle (similar to Kule's 30 goal season), on top of that Leivo is actually good defensively. They both drive the net and play with "heart", but really there's a pretty massive talent disparity. You're really overrating Leivo if you're expecting him to put up more than .86 PPG in his first year of the AHL.

Which of these 30 2011 draft players would you take Leivo over? RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, Strome, Zib, Schiefe, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin, Baertschi, Beaulieu, Klefbom, Gibson, Ritchie, Jenner, Saad, Kucherov, Shaw, Murphy, Percy, Namestnikov, Armia, Cousins, Gaudreau, Palat, Pageau, Clendening, Rakell, Morrow, or Danault


Quote:
Originally Posted by dangleitis91 View Post
I wasn't comparing them, height wasn't my comparison. Playing style was, any one who wasn't clueless woulda caught that one
Really? Cause you said "In no way are they similar", then you list off 2 similarities.

BIitz is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 07:17 PM
  #153
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
^^ Don't underrate Leivo's abilities. His hands are just as good as Lupul's. He has some slick mitts which I learned after I watched him a lot in Kitchener.

Kulemon is online now  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:04 PM
  #154
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Lupul put up over 100 points in his draft year. Also you can't expect Leivo to put up the totals that Lupul did. Those are some great numbers for a AHL rookie.

If you're comparing Leivo to lupul today there's a palying style comparison of sorts, but overall they're not similar. Lupul is a much better skater, has much better hands, and is more noticeably physical. Leivo is more of a hard working cycle player who gets shots off of the cycle (similar to Kule's 30 goal season), on top of that Leivo is actually good defensively. They both drive the net and play with "heart", but really there's a pretty massive talent disparity. You're really overrating Leivo if you're expecting him to put up more than .86 PPG in his first year of the AHL.

Which of these 30 2011 draft players would you take Leivo over? RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, Strome, Zib, Schiefe, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin, Baertschi, Beaulieu, Klefbom, Gibson, Ritchie, Jenner, Saad, Kucherov, Shaw, Murphy, Percy, Namestnikov, Armia, Cousins, Gaudreau, Palat, Pageau, Clendening, Rakell, Morrow, or Danault

I would take him over the bolded. Or at least say it's a toss up.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:10 PM
  #155
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Lupul imo is an ambitious projection for leivo. I think leivo can be a 50pt guy with two way abilities and great on the cycle. On a good year, he might crack 60 too.

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:28 PM
  #156
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Lupul imo is an ambitious projection for leivo. I think leivo can be a 50pt guy with two way abilities and great on the cycle. On a good year, he might crack 60 too.
Which is pretty much what Lupul has been for his career.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:30 PM
  #157
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Lupul imo is an ambitious projection for leivo. I think leivo can be a 50pt guy with two way abilities and great on the cycle. On a good year, he might crack 60 too.
We probably could've NOT grossly overpaid Clarkson, with ridiculous term, and just waited a year for Leivo.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:38 PM
  #158
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Which is pretty much what Lupul has been for his career.
Lupul on the leafs has been a 70-80 point player. Im sure that when many are projecting him to be as good as lupul, they dont mean 50 point lupul but 70-80 point lupul.

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:39 PM
  #159
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankuptheSnakes View Post
We probably could've NOT grossly overpaid Clarkson, with ridiculous term, and just waited a year for Leivo.
Nonis had a great summer, but that signing is brutal. I mean if we think he is overpaid now... imagine in seven years.

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:40 PM
  #160
S2S
Come at me bros
 
S2S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Without having to sift through the prospect board, anyone watch Finn and Brown tonight? I am looking at you people who don't have Leafs TV!

S2S is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:44 PM
  #161
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Lupul on the leafs has been a 70-80 point player. Im sure that when many are projecting him to be as good as lupul, they dont mean 50 point lupul but 70-80 point lupul.
I don't think anybody is projecting him to score 70-80 points. They're just saying Leivo has similar attributes that Lupul possesses. Similar frame, cycling ability, shot, IQ.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
  #162
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Nonis had a great summer, but that signing is brutal. I mean if we think he is overpaid now... imagine in seven years.
We are the absolute kings of mis-casting players. Grabo, Stajan, Bozak, Clarkson...

he's a 3rd liner being paid like a 1st liner. We could've just had Leivo on an ELC next year.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 09:47 PM
  #163
dangleitis91
Registered User
 
dangleitis91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Really? Cause you said "In no way are they similar", then you list off 2 similarities.
As I just stated I was talking about playing style not being a comparable, want me to go back and edit my post so you can comprehend the seemingly difficult mistake I made of the 2 words I missed out on? Bring your argument or trolling or whatever you argumentative internet people consider it elsewhere. People like you make sites like this unbearable to read at times.

dangleitis91 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 09:57 PM
  #164
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
^^ Don't underrate Leivo's abilities. His hands are just as good as Lupul's. He has some slick mitts which I learned after I watched him a lot in Kitchener.
I can't believe some of the posts that I see on this website.

Lupul has then best mitts on the leafs, yes, better than Kadris.

And you think Leivo has better hands?

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 10:24 PM
  #165
BigWilly
Registered User
 
BigWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I can't believe some of the posts that I see on this website.

Lupul has then best mitts on the leafs, yes, better than Kadris.

And you think Leivo has better hands?
Actually, he never said that.

BigWilly is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 11:20 PM
  #166
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,562
vCash: 500
Leivo doesn't have Lupul's hands, but he does play a similar game. I would project him to play like Lupul before he joined the leafs.

20-30 goals 50 points

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 12:20 AM
  #167
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Leivo doesn't have Lupul's hands, but he does play a similar game. I would project him to play like Lupul before he joined the leafs.

20-30 goals 50 points
So pretty much Lupul up until he played with Kessel.


Rare Jewel is online now  
Old
11-22-2013, 12:23 AM
  #168
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Actually, he never said that.
the thought of them even being equal is asinine.

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 01:37 AM
  #169
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
the thought of them even being equal is asinine.
Agreed.

This is what always happens. People get far too excited about a player and their expectations go through the roof. I can understand people want to see a top tier offensive talent but we need to remember what Lupul has accomplished since becoming a Maple Leaf. He's dropped a pace of about a PPG while having injury problems.

Do you guys really see Leivo as having top line talent? I certainly don't, and his hands certainly aren't THAT good.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg

Last edited by DirtyDion03: 11-22-2013 at 02:05 AM.
DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 01:40 AM
  #170
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,132
vCash: 500
How were finn and brown today?

mikebel111 is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 05:41 AM
  #171
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,193
vCash: 500
The Frederik Bustier title of this thread is embarrassing to our prospect. It's not even accurate at all. Weird.

thewave is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 07:00 AM
  #172
Hotlanta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Came here to find an update on how our prospects did in the Subway Super Series. I see that Finn went -1 and Brown was even in a 5-2 loss. But instead I find this cluster-**** of posts about Leivo vs. Lupul & Gauthier vs. Getzlaf.

Hotlanta is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 07:14 AM
  #173
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
The Frederik Bustier title of this thread is embarrassing to our prospect. It's not even accurate at all. Weird.
Agreed.
probably thought they were super clever, and making a sweet, funny thread title.

Somebody change that nonsense?

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 08:11 AM
  #174
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/
 
EON 93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Erie,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,876
vCash: 400
Good read on Connor Brown:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...134423187.html

EON 93 is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
  #175
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
So pretty much Lupul up until he played with Kessel.

Lupul always had top line upside, just didn't put it all together because of a plethora of injuries he suffered.

theIceWookie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.