HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Reshape this team as you see fit....

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 01:38 PM
krt88

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
Heatley would cost more than Vanek to get. Max and Pyatt don't have a chance to nab him, except as throw ins. Personally, I don't think we've got what it takes to grab Heatley from ATL.

Though Vanek, our 1st and someone not named Briere would be something to think about.

Ta,
ah man, I'm gonna tell mom that you're trying to ruin my fantacy!

hey, I can dream if I want to

Old
07-25-2005, 01:40 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I wonder if we can use Drury + Pyatt/picks/etc. to pry either Lecavalier or Richards away from TB. I would love to get either of those guys, especially Richards, who has scored everywhere he's been and seems to be extremely consistent. Maybe Drury + Pyatt + Thorburn + mid round pick/Campbell to TB for Richards + Lukowich?

The only thing I wonder is if it'd be too much of a lateral move for Tampa to want to break up their chemistry. Lukowich makes it easier to cut ties with McKee, and while Richards makes $400k more than Drury, he justifies it a bit more by being a legit 1st line center. Then we keep Satan and throw Vanek on the other wing, and bam, you've got a legit dangerous 1st line, followed by the classic Hecht - Briere - Dumont line, followed by the kid line of Afinogenov - Roy - Bartovic. Then you fill in the 4th line with Mair - Gaustad - ??? and it all makes sense.

Does anyone know if Roy can play on the wing at all? If so, then Afinogenov - Connolly - Roy and then Mair - Gaustad - Barotvic.

EDIT : As far as Heatley goes, do you guys think it might be worth it to give up the 5 1st rounders to sign him as an RFA? We can sort of play roulette with the fact that we'll be good enough to draft low, and in that case the return might be justified.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
TheGreatOne99

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatOne99 Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatOne99
We have no chance of landing Rafalski, would be nice though.
We could try to pry J. Smith from the Oilers and resgn Zhitnik for the same cost.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
I wonder if we can use Drury + Pyatt/picks/etc. to pry either Lecavalier or Richards away from TB.
Absolutely no chance.

I'd love Richards in a Sabres jersey as well, but, there is just no way that Tampa moves him.

I like your thinking though, and i think Lang could be our best {only?} realistic shot at a proper #1 center.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
You would put Roy AHEAD of Vanek? I like the defensive shake up, but you have NO physical presence in the top 3 lines.
What sort of physical presence did you expect to see in the top 3 lines? We are all shuffling basically the same players. Grier is the only reasonable option I see, but I don't think he's worth $1M+.

I stuck Roy on the 2nd line and Vanek on the 3rd because I think they fit better given the linemates. The 2nd line can be used in key defensive situations and the 3rd line is pure offense. I also think Vanek would benefit from a natural playmaker at center as opposed to a Drury-type.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
I try my damnedest to get ahold of a legit first line talent. I would target the still suspended Todd Bertuzzi from Vancouver

What would you offer for Bertuzzi? Keep in mind, irregardless if Bertuzzi demands a trade, the Canucks hold his rights for the next two seasons so they would only trade him for a great package. Also, if Naslund is back, so is Bertuzzi, that's basically a given.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
lecherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Absolutely no chance.

I'd love Richards in a Sabres jersey as well, but, there is just no way that Tampa moves him.

I like your thinking though, and i think Lang could be our best {only?} realistic shot at a proper #1 center.
Lang's too old and too expensive. We're having a youth movement and I don't see any point in trading for older players...maybe signing them as FA's, but it's hard to give up younger guys for older guys in a trade.

I forgot about Kotalik in my last post, doh. As much as I like Roy, if we package him with Drury it might be all we need to land a top center like Richards or Lecavalier. Richards would be perfect for Satan and Vanek because he'd just keep feeding them with passes and letting them do what they do best, score goals. I think it'd rejuvenate Miro's career so to speak, and start Vanek's off in the right direction. TB has a surprising lack of depth at Center past Lecavalier and Richards, with almost no prospects whatsoever to speak of - so I think we might be able interest them in a Drury + Roy + Thorburn for Richards + Lukowich deal.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:06 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Sniping RFAs

According to Tom Benjamin, (http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/...tissere_l.html)
... there's no longer any real reason not to snipe other teams RFAs. If you look at the low, low penalties for stealing a RFA from the original club -- well, why wouldn't we?

Honestly, ask yourself how well the Sabres draft, and then ask yourself if bringing in a Jarome Iginla wouldn't be worth 4 first rounders? Or a Martin Havlat for a first and a third?

Quote:
Up to $660,000 - No compensation
$660,000 to $1 million - One 3rd round draft pick
$1 to $2 million - One second round pick
$2 to $3 million - One 1st and one 3rd round pick
$3 to $4 million - One 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
$4 to $5 million - Two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
Over $5 million - Four 1st round picks

Old
07-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
Depending on what Nonis wanted, I'd think that Satan plus a pick might do the trick nicely.

You're kidding, right? Satan is a nice player, but at his age, 31 in October, and salary, he doesn't fit the Canucks nicely. They might as well just go out and sign a Paul Kariya or Pavol Demitra for the same price and not trade up an asset such as Bertuzzi. If the Canucks deal Bertuzzi, they're likely going to want good, young assets, otherwise, no point trading him when his value is at it's lowest.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:11 PM
lecherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
According to Tom Benjamin, (http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/...tissere_l.html)
... there's no longer any real reason not to snipe other teams RFAs. If you look at the low, low penalties for stealing a RFA from the original club -- well, why wouldn't we?

Honestly, ask yourself how well the Sabres draft, and then ask yourself if bringing in a Jarome Iginla wouldn't be worth 4 first rounders? Or a Martin Havlat for a first and a third?
I would trade 4 1st round picks for Iginla in a heartbeat. Buffalo seems to do their best drafting in the 2nd round anyways.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:27 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
I would trade 4 1st round picks for Iginla in a heartbeat. Buffalo seems to do their best drafting in the 2nd round anyways.
Agreed 100%.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:27 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Heatley. I thought i was aiming high with St. Louis

I can think of very few players i would rather have in a Sabres jersey than Heater. In fact, i think Marian Hossa is the only one. So lets make a proposal for him. Vanek, Drury, Biron, 1st for Hossa and a 4th

If i were to realistically 'reshape' the team, then this is what would happen.

1. Don't qualify Grier, Connolly, Campbell, Boulton.
2. Pick up option on Drury, Pyatt and Biron with more attractive contracts, and ship them off, packaged with some other players, or picks.
3. Acquire a good 3/4 D-man via trading a forward + picks {Toni Lydman for example}. I proposed Pyatt + 2nd for him on the trade forum, which was seen as quite fair.
4. Resign Satan, Briere, Dumont, Hecht, Kotalik etc etc.
6. Try to acquire a top level D like Gonchar in the FA's. Fail and end up with Z again, but at a more attractive salary.
7. This one is a reach. Trade Drury, Biron, and 1st round pick for Robert Lang and Jiri Fischer. See trade board for my reasoning.
8. Hope that one of Vanek, Kotalik, or Max are ready for 1st line minutes.

Vanek-Lang-Satan
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Kotalik-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Gaustad-Mair

extras: Bartovic, Pominville, Paille, Thorburn, Taylor etc.

Kalinin-Lydman
Zhitnik-Fischer
McKee-Jillson

extras: Tallinder, Brown, Patrick?, Fitzpatrick

Noronen
Miller

I actually like this team as much as my first one....
You have 29 players here, are you willing to lose some of them and get nothing in return? You must remember the roster limits. Several can be sent down to Rochester but Tallinder can't. Neither can Brown and I think Pominville might get grabbed by someone, at least to take a look.

Can't see Detroit dealing Fisher but what about signing Darren McCarty. I heard Detroit is likely to buy him out.

Also, I just read Ottawa won't buy anyone out. Hard to believe being that they have only 10 player under contract but 23 + million already used up. And they still have to sign Mike Fisher, Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa, Jason Spezza, Anton Volchenkov, Todd White then fill out the rest of the roster. Not sure I understand Muckler's logic. I'd buy out Greg de Vries and Bryan Smolinski saveing about $4.5 million.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Lang's too old and too expensive. We're having a youth movement and I don't see any point in trading for older players...maybe signing them as FA's, but it's hard to give up younger guys for older guys in a trade.
Youth is over rated somewhat. Sure, its great to have a young squad especially with the new CBA, but you need a couple of older guys in the mix as well. And Lang is hardly past it, look at the numbers he put up in the last season. And looking at those numbers, and what else he brings to the table, then $3.5-4m for Lang is better value than paying $3m for Drury, imo. He is big, holds the puck up well, has quite good vision and passing, a good shot, and has great hands for a big guy. He can put up 70+ points fairly easily. He would look great centering Miro, and Vanek if he's ready. Theres a ****load of offensive potential in that line.

Quote:
I forgot about Kotalik in my last post, doh. As much as I like Roy, if we package him with Drury it might be all we need to land a top center like Richards or Lecavalier. Richards would be perfect for Satan and Vanek because he'd just keep feeding them with passes and letting them do what they do best, score goals. I think it'd rejuvenate Miro's career so to speak, and start Vanek's off in the right direction. TB has a surprising lack of depth at Center past Lecavalier and Richards, with almost no prospects whatsoever to speak of - so I think we might be able interest them in a Drury + Roy + Thorburn for Richards + Lukowich deal.
I agree with you. Richards centering Miro and possibly Vanek would just be awesome. But i would be gobsmacked if TB traded him. I actually see him as the least likely of the 'big three' there to be moved. The guy is young {24?} and is already a Conn Smythe winner. He was awesome for them in the playoffs, as well as regualr season. I think i remember hearing some stat, that whenever Richards scored a goal for them, they never lost the match. He is, i have no doubt, one of the top 5 most valuable players in the league right now.

There is no way the Sabres will have a sniff of getting Iginla or Havlat either. And i would give my left ball to get the latter. Forget getting anyone like this in Buffalo.

And from my POV at least, i would not want the Sabres to make a move for Bertuzzi. Too many question marks right now, and the Canuck fans know this. He's a great player though.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88
You have 29 players here, are you willing to lose some of them and get nothing in return? You must remember the roster limits. Several can be sent down to Rochester but Tallinder can't. Neither can Brown and I think Pominville might get grabbed by someone, at least to take a look.
I have less players in that squad than the Sabres would do if they kept the same roster as last season.

Added: Lang, Fischer, Lydman, Vanek. Paille, and the rest would still be in rochester for the most part.
Minus: Drury, Biron, Pyatt, Grier, Campbell, Boulton, and also Connolly

I'm not sure about Tallinder. I would rather not see him in the lineup, as i rate McKee and Jillson above him, as well as the obvious Zhitnik and Kalinin. Maybe he could be moved in one of the trading packages.

Quote:
Can't see Detroit dealing Fisher but what about signing Darren McCarty. I heard Detroit is likely to buy him out.
Fischer and Lang are the only two players Detroit have that interest me, aside from Datsyuk and Zetterberg of course.

I'm not sure they would make the deal, thats why i said it would be a reach. But they do get a 1st round pick {which they could use}, Drury {a player that would fit in well there} and Biron {again, as Cujo is leaving, they could do with a younger goalie}. And we get a big young D, and a 1st line C, which last time i checked, we could use. Maybe send Tallinder there as well.

Quote:
Also, I just read Ottawa won't buy anyone out. Hard to believe being that they have only 10 player under contract but 23 + million already used up. And they still have to sign Mike Fisher, Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa, Jason Spezza, Anton Volchenkov, Todd White then fill out the rest of the roster. Not sure I understand Muckler's logic. I'd buy out Greg de Vries and Bryan Smolinski saveing about $4.5 million.
Well, im assuming they are working with the full $39m cap. Getting all their players signed up will be hard for them, but i still don't see them dealing Havlat, or any of the other names you mentioned.

Old
07-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
What would you offer for Bertuzzi? Keep in mind, irregardless if Bertuzzi demands a trade, the Canucks hold his rights for the next two seasons so they would only trade him for a great package. Also, if Naslund is back, so is Bertuzzi, that's basically a given.
And here I was thinking that if Naslund is back that it puts some strain into the Vancouver cap space. I must be mistaken. I would be willing to offer nearly anything, except Vanek, Miller or Kalinin.

And yes, I know, that leaves a heap of junk and a heap of first round picks. This is a dream you know.

07-25-2005, 03:48 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
And here I was thinking that if Naslund is back that it puts some strain into the Vancouver cap space. I must be mistaken. I would be willing to offer nearly anything, except Vanek, Miller or Kalinin.

And yes, I know, that leaves a heap of junk and a heap of first round picks. This is a dream you know.
You must remember, though, that Bert comes cheap with that suspension he's got to serve. So, anyone trading for him gets a 15% rebate on his salary, cap-wise.

Just trying to make the dream last that much longer Chain.

And, honestly, I don't think we have what it would take to pry him from the Canucks, as much as I'd love to see him in the AGH.

Ta,

Old
07-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
You must remember, though, that Bert comes cheap with that suspension he's got to serve. So, anyone trading for him gets a 15% rebate on his salary, cap-wise.

Just trying to make the dream last that much longer Chain.

And, honestly, I don't think we have what it would take to pry him from the Canucks, as much as I'd love to see him in the AGH.

Ta,
Yeah, I know, I don't think they have the trade ammo for it either but hey, everyone has to have a dream.

Old
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
everyone has to have a dream.
Chara............................................. ...........................................

Old
07-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Chara............................................. ...........................................

That's a big, BIG dream. In many ways.

Old
07-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Absolutely no chance.

i agree with you there. we've got the same chance of acquiring Richards as we do of acquiring Jiri Fischer though.

Old
07-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Youth is over rated somewhat. Sure, its great to have a young squad especially with the new CBA, but you need a couple of older guys in the mix as well. And Lang is hardly past it, look at the numbers he put up in the last season. And looking at those numbers, and what else he brings to the table, then $3.5-4m for Lang is better value than paying $3m for Drury, imo. He is big, holds the puck up well, has quite good vision and passing, a good shot, and has great hands for a big guy. He can put up 70+ points fairly easily. He would look great centering Miro, and Vanek if he's ready. Theres a ****load of offensive potential in that line. .
Lang has put up more than 50 pts 4 times in his career. and in all four years Jagr was on his wing. 70 pts? fairly easy? i dont think so. I thought Doug Gilmour would put up 70 pts in A Sabres jersey once too. Trading Drury for Lang is borderline retarted

Quote:
I agree with you. Richards centering Miro and possibly Vanek would just be awesome. But i would be gobsmacked if TB traded him. I actually see him as the least likely of the 'big three' there to be moved. The guy is young {24?} and is already a Conn Smythe winner. He was awesome for them in the playoffs, as well as regualr season. I think i remember hearing some stat, that whenever Richards scored a goal for them, they never lost the match. He is, i have no doubt, one of the top 5 most valuable players in the league right now.

There is no way the Sabres will have a sniff of getting Iginla or Havlat either. And i would give my left ball to get the latter. Forget getting anyone like this in Buffalo.

And from my POV at least, i would not want the Sabres to make a move for Bertuzzi. Too many question marks right now, and the Canuck fans know this. He's a great player though.
Richards is a pipe dream, like the Stanley Cup champs are gonna let Riachrds go.

Ottawa is an intereseting situation though. at 24, Havlat is a proven young guy, unlike Buffalo's largely unproven group of youngsters. I'd have no problem watching Golly open up the wallet, sacrfice a few firsts, and go out a get a Havlat, or a Hossa, or a Lecavlier. Sign up to long term contracts and id be happy. what i dont want to see is the past their prime vets, milking poor Buffalo with their names. Lang's and Nolan's and Selanne's and on and on. their's no help there. We have vets, good ones, like Drury.

Old
07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Slangston

I consider Bertuzzi a huge risk, for two reasons.

First of all, his suspension will be extended an additional 10-20 games, so any team looking to acquire him better be 'ok' without him on their opening day roster.

Secondly, no one knows how this Moore incident has effected him. When his suspension is lifted, I can't see him playing the same physical game. Vancouver fans will surely tell you, Bert's not as effective as a player if he isn't throwing bodies around and bowling over defensemen.

Old
07-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
I consider Bertuzzi a huge risk, for two reasons.

First of all, his suspension will be extended an additional 10-20 games, so any team looking to acquire him better be 'ok' without him on their opening day roster.

Secondly, no one knows how this Moore incident has effected him. When his suspension is lifted, I can't see him playing the same physical game. Vancouver fans will surely tell you, Bert's not as effective as a player if he isn't throwing bodies around and bowling over defensemen.
I'd take my chances.

Old
07-25-2005, 06:58 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

unless i missed it, i don't see adrian aucoin's name in here (and i haven't been able to find anywhere that the isles are keeping him for sure)
i know he's been brought up a hundred times, but i still think he is option 1 and exactly what the sabres need- RD, pretty physical and a howler for a slapper

i don't think gonchar is needed (regardless of whether or not he is attainable)
the sabres need defense from the blueline before they worry about offense from the blueline (and aucoin gives some of each)

re-sign zhitnik and satan
don't qualify biron, grier, boulton, or campbell
sign kriukov
trade max afinogenov, taylor pyatt and this year's first rounder for erik cole and a mid -rounder (if possible)
that leaves

hecht-briere-dumont
cole-drury-satan
vanek-roy-kotalik
peters-gaustad-mair

kalinin-zhitnik
mckee-aucoin
tallinder-jillson (tallinder-jillson scares me a bit)

noronen
miller

subtractions of biron, afinogenov, pyatt, grier, campbell and boulton add up to about 7.5 mil or so
additions of cole and aucoin i expect to add up to about 6
kriukov shouldnt much more than 600K
so the sabres probably break even payroll-wise, or maybe add 500K to a mil with re-signings
i think this team would do some serious work and the payroll is not out of hand
top 3 lines can all do damage and top four are extremely solid
goaltending could be an issue, but i expect one of the two could do well with a better D in front of them
not sure if its possible to pry cole though....(i'd do more than that package to get him if need be)
cole discussion: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=3137716

Last edited by billsandsabres: 07-25-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old
07-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Lang has put up more than 50 pts 4 times in his career. and in all four years Jagr was on his wing. 70 pts? fairly easy? i dont think so. I thought Doug Gilmour would put up 70 pts in A Sabres jersey once too. Trading Drury for Lang is borderline retarted
Lang has put up 50+ points in the last six NHL seasons, and 65+ in five of those. When he was in Pittsburgh he played with Kovalev and Straka, and when he was in Washington, he played with an often unmotivated and below par Jagr and nobody else of real quality. Hell, he played some of his best hockey after the Caps traded Jagr last season.

He is not a player who benefits solely from having good players around him. In fact, that is a tag that i would give to Drury.

You may think its retarded, but i see it as getting bigger down the middle, and trading for a bigger offensive threat as well. And not for too much more money.

Gilmour has nothing to do with this. Why do some people hark back to the past all the time?

Quote:
Ottawa is an intereseting situation though. at 24, Havlat is a proven young guy, unlike Buffalo's largely unproven group of youngsters. I'd have no problem watching Golly open up the wallet, sacrfice a few firsts, and go out a get a Havlat, or a Hossa, or a Lecavlier.
Come on man, be serious for a minute! If the Sabres somehow got Hossa, then i would leave the UK tomorrow and move to Buffalo. I promise you. I imagine that incriminating pictures involving Muckler, sexual acts and goats would be needed.

Havlat is the only one of those mentioned that could possibly be traded for, but even then, i dont like our chances of getting him. At all.

Quote:
what i dont want to see is the past their prime vets, milking poor Buffalo with their names. Lang's and Nolan's and Selanne's and on and on. their's no help there. We have vets, good ones, like Drury.
I agree with that. But Lang is not past it. He is coming off an 80 point season for christs sake! Well, kinda coming off if we forget about the lockout, you know what i mean.

And IMO Drury is not a vet, and the whole leadership angle often used with him is wildly over rated if you ask me.

Closed Thread