HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Predators limiting single game tickets to Hawks fans

Old
08-14-2013, 12:48 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Predators limiting single game tickets to Hawks fans

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks...awks-fans-away

Quote:
According to a report from Section 303, the Predators are instituting a few measures to ensure that the fans buying tickets aren't the ones planning a road trip from Chicago. Fans, regardless of their affiliation, won't be allowed to purchase single-game tickets to any of the three games between the Blackhawks and Predators in Nashville. They'll be forced to buy tickets to a second game. And, during the pre-sale period, zip-code restrictions will be implemented.

Why does it seem these always back fire?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:50 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/8...ackhawks-games

Quote:
Chris Parker, the Nashville Predators' Executive Vice President and Chief Sales & Marketing Officer, provided some of the details behind the team's ticketing strategy this season, which is focused on two primary objectives:

Provide season ticket holders with a wide range of benefits, such as pricing, exclusive buying opportunities, extended payment plan, etc.
Maximize the team's home-ice advantage, something Parker termed "the goldenization" of Bridgestone Arena
Now, the interesting part of the second item above is that along with an upside for local fans comes, well, restrictions for fans outside our region.
... My impression is that it's more about making those out-of-towners open their wallets a little bit extra to make the trip to Smashville. Think about it, if you're already planning to travel down from Chicago for a game (including airfare or gas, hotel, spending money, etc.), is the price of another ticket going to put that adventure out of reach? I highly doubt it - at worst it might take a round or two off their bar tab.
Plans include nearly a week of RS "presales" to Preds TV market before tickets are available to all.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:14 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Makes sense. Nashville's doing a good job filling up their own barn, so they don't need to really rely on the out of towners to put butts in seats anymore. Don't have any problems with a franchise trying to make sure that their fans have first crack at buying tickets for their games. Might as well try to build as much of a home environment as possible. Also, take it as a compliment for how well of a traveling team that the Hawks have become.

That being said, Nashville definitely is high up on my list of places I want to catch a game.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Trizent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Seriously. Hrm, people want to use our product and give us money. I know! Let's make it more difficult and inconvenient for them to do this. -- said no successful business ever.

Best idea is variable pricing, so jack up prices for the game even moderately; presale to local fans one day early, ok, but that just may mean more tickets being bought and resold on the secondary market.

Stop being insecure and sell to whomever wants to purchase tickets.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:19 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I think this idea would work better if they made fans buy tickets to more than one extra game.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:46 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post

Seriously. Hrm, people want to use our product and give us money. I know! Let's make it more difficult and inconvenient for them to do this. -- said no successful business ever.

Stop being insecure and sell to whomever wants to purchase tickets.
Ever tried buying tickets to see your favorite band play? The scalpers are best at getting to the front of the line. Then jack up prices and skim a lot of profit. Not the best way of doing things for the business or the consumer. This isn't quite the same, but it's nice to see the organization try to protect its fans.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Ugmo

They should set aside an entire section for the Chicago fans. That would be an electric atmosphere.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

vCash: 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Chicago is like a 7 hour drive from Nashville. Is this really a big issue?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

670 The Score's Jay Zewaski
http://www.chicagonow.com/red-light-...vs-blackhawks/

Quote:
While the plan will certainly reduce the number of Hawk fans in the Bridgestone Arena on those dates, it will also reduce the spend happy Chicago tourists in the city. Remember last November when the Bears played the Titans in the Music City? The Bear fans literally drank the city dry. Nashville is becoming a destination for Chicago fans. It's my favorite road city of the half dozen or so I've visited.

While it's nice to keep your fans happy, isn't it worth it to have those seats sold for those three dates? I would think so.

Pandering to fans will only get you so far. The Predators are not making money. Why mess with revenue to keep a couple of meatballs happy?

The plan works for their intended purpose. I was planning on attending a Hawks / Preds game in Nashville with my wife. I can't afford to purchase tickets to a second game, so I won't be going. That's money lost for a Nashville hotel, myriad Nashville bars (Layla's Bluegrass Inn is my personal favorite), and BBQ joints (Jack's...not Rippy's). I wonder how happy those business owners will be with the Predators' plan.
Yeah...just flat out bad business here from the Preds.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post

Yeah, Nashville is so unsuccessful that they have people wanting to drive seven hours.

If there's an argument against Predators management wanting to keep tickets for Predators games in the hands of Predators fans, I'd be very interested to hear it so I can laugh at it.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
7 hours is a pretty easy drive for a weekend trip, especially when it's to a town as nice as Nashville. It's definitely worth the extra 2 hours in the car each way to go there over say St. Louis. Also it's a pretty cheap flight. Roundtrip on Southwest the weekend of 11/16, 1st Hawks game there, is $245

Old
08-14-2013, 10:22 AM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

I think it has to do with the secondary market, and the Preds making sure their own fans don't get priced out of the games. The same thing happens when the Rangers come to the Rock. People buy them all up and sell them at a price that's more expensive than Devils fans are used to paying, but still less expensive for Rangers fans than a game at the Garden.

Granted, the gap between the average Devils and Rangers tickets is larger than the gap between the average Predators and Blackhawks tickets.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:23 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
They should set aside an entire section for the Chicago fans. That would be an electric atmosphere.
I honestly wish this happened in arenas/stadiums that knew which teams produced a travelling section. I love in college football knowing that if you want to find your friendly section in a foreign stadium, that you can.

Not familiar with every team but I bet the Wild could set aside a section of 1000 seats for travelling Jets fans and sell it easily. Could Boston set aside a Canadiens section?

Last edited by cutchemist42: 08-14-2013 at 10:28 AM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
It used to not be until the Hawks started winning cups. Preds fans used to invade Chicago.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Foster81

This sounds like a bad idea to me, why turn customers away? Do they want to lose money?

Foster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Foster81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
It used to not be until the Hawks started winning cups. Preds fans used to invade Chicago.
Back when dollar bill was still alive Wings fans invaded the UC. I don't remember alot of nashville fans there.

Foster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
It doesn't seem like it should be...but for some reason, Nashville seems to be a pretty popular place for Chicago folks to visit. Southwest has cheap airfare. There's a big entertainment district literally at the front door of the arena. It's probably not all that much more than getting prime seats at the United Center for a weekend in Nashville.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:03 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
It doesn't seem like it should be...but for some reason, Nashville seems to be a pretty popular place for Chicago folks to visit.
The reason being...Nashville is pretty awesome. The arena is in a great spot with tons to do after, unlike say St. Louis where there isn't anywhere to go after the game. And it's a lot warmer in the dead of winter than here...a lot more fun to go somewhere warm than take a trip to Minnesota or Detroit.

Old
08-15-2013, 06:10 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
yes.

its been funny watching the evolution of visiting fans in the arena in Nashville.

early on, displaced michiganders working at the Saturn plant filled the arena for Wings games, and there are still plenty of PredWings who wear gold all year except when Detroit is in town

Blues fans use to make one road trip a year and would end up having 5000 or more in the house

back when the Hawks were terrible and the Preds beat them regularly, there were maybe a couple hundered Hawks fans at the games..

now I would estimate a typical Hawks game in Nashville has at least 2-3 thousand Hawks fans, if not more.

If we werent routinely selling out games, this would not be a good idea... but since we are selling out a lot on our own... I like it.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
yes.

its been funny watching the evolution of visiting fans in the arena in Nashville.

early on, displaced michiganders working at the Saturn plant filled the arena for Wings games, and there are still plenty of PredWings who wear gold all year except when Detroit is in town

Blues fans use to make one road trip a year and would end up having 5000 or more in the house

back when the Hawks were terrible and the Preds beat them regularly, there were maybe a couple hundered Hawks fans at the games..

now I would estimate a typical Hawks game in Nashville has at least 2-3 thousand Hawks fans, if not more.

If we werent routinely selling out games, this would not be a good idea... but since we are selling out a lot on our own... I like it.
I would say it is more a 50/50 split now between Chicago fans and Preds fans, if not a 70/30 in favor of Chicago. Which is why until they announced this I was considering not even using my Chicago tickets. You might as well be in Chicago.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Frank Booth239*

I'll bet they still wind up with tons of red sweaters in the stands, because most of them are probably band wagon jumpers who live in Nashville. Can't imagine that many people travel all the way to Nashville to see an away game. Aren't there closer places to Chicago where they can go?

Frank Booth239* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:37 AM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

It's not going to stop Blackhawks fans from getting tickets.

It's going to make it more expensive for them on the secondary market.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth23 View Post
I'll bet they still wind up with tons of red sweaters in the stands, because most of them are probably band wagon jumpers who live in Nashville. Can't imagine that many people travel all the way to Nashville to see an away game. Aren't there closer places to Chicago where they can go?
St. Louis, Columbus, and Detroit are closer. But as far as I know, the only thing to do in those cities is watch the game, go back to the hotel, and wait for it to be morning so that you can go home. Nashville is much more of a destination.

As far as local bandwagonners getting into the building for those games, I doubt that the local Hawks fans are really the problem here. I don't want to paint every visiting fan with the same brush, but it seems to generally be the out-of-towners who cause the most problems.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
htpwn

The Senators have been trying to do this for years.

It is hilarious how in vain their efforts have been.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:35 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
The Senators have been trying to do this for years.

It is hilarious how in vain their efforts have been.
Well, the difference is that Ottawa had a couple generations of Leafs (and Habs) fans growing up in the region prior to the new Senators coming back.

There wasn't exactly a huge hockey fanbase in Nashville prior to the Preds setting up shop, though.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote